NATION

PASSWORD

Why atheists must believe in God

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

TriStates
Senator

Founded: Apr 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby TriStates » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:00 am

Madnolia wrote:
TriStates wrote:

“Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.”-Albert Einstein

I hope that quote is real because it is bloody awesome.

Want me to produce sources to you? :p
Last edited by TriStates on Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vytautas wrote:There are two kinds of people in this world:
* people giving a fuck,
* people not giving a fuck,
Drink Vytautas, give a NEGATIVE FUCK!
The Burning Sun wrote:...you seem to experience what I shall completely non-offensively dub the Triplex, or TriStates Complex - you spend a ton of time crafting a beautiful work of collaboration, and then you mysteriously disappear...

The Starlight wrote:
TriStates wrote::( I don't like change...

It's coarse and dry and gets everywhere. :p

But I do get what you mean.
My Past Adventures: After World

Sodankyla
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sodankyla » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:02 am

Einstein, you clever son of a bitch.
A simple Leninist and supporter of the vanguard party.

Pro: LGBT Rights, Abortion Rights only in cases of rape or likely maternal fatality, Economic Interventionism, Economic Protectionism, Worker's rights, Proletariat Dictatorship, Native Cultural maintenance in harmony with secular practice, Pragmatism.

Anti: Censorship in any and all forms, Neo-Liberal Capitalism, Idiocracy of the Masses, Globalism, Imperialism, Monarchies and nobility.

TriStates
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby TriStates » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:04 am

Sodankyla wrote:Einstein, you clever son of a bitch.

I enjoyed the quote sparing, and await your tour-de-force
* people giving a fuck,
The Burning Sun wrote:...you seem to experience what I shall completely non-offensively dub the Triplex, or TriStates Complex - you spend a ton of time crafting a beautiful work of collaboration, and then you mysteriously disappear...

The Starlight wrote:

Madnolia
Envoy

Founded: Mar 20, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Madnolia » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:05 am

TriStates wrote:
Madnolia wrote:
I hope that quote is real because it is bloody awesome.

Cheers just CBA to google it myself
Economic: Left/Right: 0.50
Social: Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.28

PRO: Science,capitalism,pro-choice, LGBT rights,diplomacy,free speech,free press,gay marriage,democracy,freedom,genetic modification/research,E.U,unification,U.N,peace,monkeys and ICE CREAM

ANTI:Communism,monarchy,racism,religion,extremism,animal rights activists,environmentalists,badger lovers,bird watchers,fascism, manchester United,ignorance,holocaust deniers,celebrities, vegetarianism and evolution deniers.

TriStates
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby TriStates » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:06 am

Madnolia wrote:
TriStates wrote:

Cheers just CBA to google it myself

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quote ... 61289.html
* people giving a fuck,

The Starlight wrote:

Greater Beggnig
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Beggnig » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:19 am

Phoenixfox wrote:If you ask an atheist why they disavow belief in God, they will undoubtably undoubtedly cite either their reason or science. Here are some thing things that need to be around in order for science to make sense. Possibly the most basic of these Absolute truth (Truth being that which conforms to reality)

Science can tell us almost any trait we want to know about anything, it can tell us the size, shape, weight, colorcolour, temperature, density and even the molecular structure of an object, but none of these things even matter if we can not be sure that the object even exists. Science is irrelevant if absolute truth does not exist.

The entire study of any science depends on truth being absolute, but their there is no atheistic justification for believing in it. It is ironic that those who say their alleged disbelief in God is based on reason have absolutely no reason to believe in the very things on which they base their reason!

What do you think about this line of reasoning? I think it makes a lot of sense.

So in your mind, Absolute Truth means that God exists? To use Ukrainian: Що? І навіть не розуміють. Absolute truth does not imply God. It doesn't even imply one God or a group of Gods. Absolute truth could exist without God. Science is considered objective because if it was considered subjective we would revert to the dark ages. I mean, let's be honest here, is it not better to test things and come up with explanations of the things around us which change according to available evidence, or to have one book, the interpretation of which has fluctuated wildly over the hundreds of years it has existed, as a supposed basis for absolute truth?
"I'm not a dictator. It's just that I have a grumpy face."
-Augusto Pinochet

TriStates
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby TriStates » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:22 am

Greater Beggnig wrote:
Phoenixfox wrote:If you ask an atheist why they disavow belief in God, they will undoubtably undoubtedly cite either their reason or science. Here are some thing things that need to be around in order for science to make sense. Possibly the most basic of these Absolute truth (Truth being that which conforms to reality)

Science can tell us almost any trait we want to know about anything, it can tell us the size, shape, weight, colorcolour, temperature, density and even the molecular structure of an object, but none of these things even matter if we can not be sure that the object even exists. Science is irrelevant if absolute truth does not exist.

The entire study of any science depends on truth being absolute, but their there is no atheistic justification for believing in it. It is ironic that those who say their alleged disbelief in God is based on reason have absolutely no reason to believe in the very things on which they base their reason!

What do you think about this line of reasoning? I think it makes a lot of sense.

So in your mind, Absolute Truth means that God exists? To use Ukrainian: Що? І навіть не розуміють. Absolute truth does not imply God. It doesn't even imply one God or a group of Gods. Absolute truth could exist without God. Science is considered objective because if it was considered subjective we would revert to the dark ages. I mean, let's be honest here, is it not better to test things and come up with explanations of the things around us which change according to available evidence, or to have one book, the interpretation of which has fluctuated wildly over the hundreds of years it has existed, as a supposed basis for absolute truth?

Color is actually spelled correctly, since he is North American.
* people giving a fuck,

The Starlight wrote:

Madnolia
Envoy

Founded: Mar 20, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Madnolia » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:24 am

TriStates wrote:
Greater Beggnig wrote:

England invented english so our version of colour is the correct one. ;)
Economic: Left/Right: 0.50
Social: Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.28

PRO: Science,capitalism,pro-choice, LGBT rights,diplomacy,free speech,free press,gay marriage,democracy,freedom,genetic modification/research,E.U,unification,U.N,peace,monkeys and ICE CREAM

ANTI:Communism,monarchy,racism,religion,extremism,animal rights activists,environmentalists,badger lovers,bird watchers,fascism, manchester United,ignorance,holocaust deniers,celebrities, vegetarianism and evolution deniers.

Greater Beggnig
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Beggnig » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:29 am

Madnolia wrote:
TriStates wrote:

Rule Britannia!
EDIT: I shall flog myself later.
Last edited by Greater Beggnig on Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Augusto Pinochet

Greater Beggnig
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Beggnig » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:07 am

/thread.
-Augusto Pinochet

Breadknife
Minister

Founded: Jul 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Breadknife » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:33 am

Greater Beggnig wrote:Rule Britannia!
Of course you shall not.

A gentleman has a man for that...
Ceci n'est pas une griffe.

Greater Beggnig
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Beggnig » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:49 am

Breadknife wrote:
Greater Beggnig wrote:Rule Britannia!
Of course you shall not.

A gentleman has a man for that...

I'm sorry, I'm from the colonies:
-Augusto Pinochet

Volnotova
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Volnotova » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:01 am

Phoenixfox wrote:If you ask an atheist why they disavow belief in God, they will undoubtably cite either their reason or science. Here are some thing that need to be around in order for science to make sense. Possibly the most basic of these Absolute truth (Truth being that which conforms to reality)

Science can tell us almost any trait we want to know about anything, it can tell us the size, shape, weight, color, temperature, density and even the molecular structure of an object, but none of these things even matter if we can not be sure that the object even exists. Science is irrelevant if absolute truth does not exist.
http://forum.nationstates.net/viewforum.php?f=20
The entire study of any science depends on truth being absolute, but their is no atheistic justification for believing in it. It is ironic that those who say their alleged disbelief in God is based on reason have absolutely no reason to believe in the very things on which they base their reason!

I am still trying to figure out how this relates to as to why atheists should believe in "god".
Last edited by Volnotova on Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
A very exclusive and exceptional ice crystal.

A surrealistic alien entity stretched thin across the many membranes of the multiverse.
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:You are the most lawful neutral person I have ever witnessed.

Polruan wrote:It's like Humphrey Applebee wrote a chapter of the Talmud in here.

Dalcaria
Minister

Founded: Jun 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Dalcaria » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:02 am

1. THIS ARGUMENT AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I do not care what religion you belong to, what race you are, what sexuality you prefer, or what political leaning you have, can we finally bury this debate already!!!! I am so sick of seeing this everywhere on the net! I used to think NS was worst for it, but after seeing the political thread sections of others sites (like game sites of all things) I realized it actually got a whole lot worse. Anyways, point is that everyone, religious or non-religious, should get together, hold hands, and collectively stop having a whine fest over this topic! To the poster of this thread, why must you keep this debate going! Why drag out an argument that always reaches the same conclusion, that conclusion being that nobody can prove a point! And posters, why would you AGAIN post in something that you've already debated, you already know will go nowhere, and serves no actual purpose other than to create more unnecessary internet drama! And me! Why am I again posting something in a thread like this! Obviously nobody cares! Obviously everyone else is always right, and we should just accept everyone else's view! Well, I mean this in a more sarcastic "why post when it's redundant?" sort of self-destructive way, in case I wasn't clear enough.

2. Because it makes any thread better, thank you for the British stuff there at the end folks. Always brings a little twinkle to my eye to see a Union Jack flying high. :clap: Oh, and respect to the colonies too. You guys are alright. ;)

PS. Also, glad to see some of us are on the same page on the Ukraine. Russia really should just get lost. And before anyone starts talking about the Russians living there, maybe they should ask the Tartars living there how the felt about being kicked out of a homeland (which they have more birth right too than anyone, save for the Ukrainians. Russians just colonized the area) and then finally being able to come back after USSR collapsed, only to now have their home being sent back to the very people who kicked the out last time! I know this is off topic, just wanted to address it.
Last edited by Dalcaria on Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Take Fascism and remove the racism, ultra-nationalism, oppression, murder, and replace these things with proper civil rights and freedoms and what do you get? Us, a much stronger and more free nation than most."
"Tell me, is it still a 'revolution' or 'liberation' when you are killing our men, women, and children in front of us for not allowing themselves to be 'saved' by you? Call Communism and Democracy whatever you want, but to our people they're both the same thing; Oppression."
"You say manifest destiny, I say act of war. You're free to disagree with me, but I tend to make my arguments with a gun."
Since everyone does one of these: Impeach Democracy, Legalize Monarchy, Incompetent leadership is theft.

Verloren
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Verloren » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:09 am

^Well said.
Last edited by Verloren on Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dalcaria
Minister

Founded: Jun 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Dalcaria » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:22 am

Verloren wrote:^Well said.

Danke (thanks). :blush:
"Take Fascism and remove the racism, ultra-nationalism, oppression, murder, and replace these things with proper civil rights and freedoms and what do you get? Us, a much stronger and more free nation than most."
"Tell me, is it still a 'revolution' or 'liberation' when you are killing our men, women, and children in front of us for not allowing themselves to be 'saved' by you? Call Communism and Democracy whatever you want, but to our people they're both the same thing; Oppression."
"You say manifest destiny, I say act of war. You're free to disagree with me, but I tend to make my arguments with a gun."
Since everyone does one of these: Impeach Democracy, Legalize Monarchy, Incompetent leadership is theft.

Svrije
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Svrije » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:26 am

Phoenixfox wrote:What do you think about this line of reasoning? I think it makes a lot of sense.

It's nonsensical at best. I'm having a hard time discerning the point you're trying to make, OP. Your line of reasoning, or more like a strand of illogic, goes as follows: "Atheists say their lack of belief is based on reason. They have no reason to believe in it." Therefore, what? What's the conclusion? With the second premise not making a whole lot of sense, I'm assuming you have a hard time constructing a conclusion which follows the premises you gave.

There's no atheistic justification for believing in the absolute truth? Irrelevant, since there is no theistic justification for it either. All these viewpoints are promoting is either a belief in a god or lack thereof. Also, the term is 'objective truth'. Don't confuse atheists with subjectivists.

The United American Social Republic
Attaché

Founded: Mar 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The United American Social Republic » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:40 am

Madnolia wrote:
TriStates wrote:

We need to start calling our thing American. We've invented a few thousand words now that you stupid Brits don't use. They're distinct enough to be called different things.

Miiren
Secretary

Founded: Jan 07, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Miiren » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:49 am

Phoenixfox wrote:If you ask an atheist why they disavow belief in God, they will undoubtably cite either their reason or science. Here are some thing that need to be around in order for science to make sense. Possibly the most basic of these Absolute truth (Truth being that which conforms to reality)

Science can tell us almost any trait we want to know about anything, it can tell us the size, shape, weight, color, temperature, density and even the molecular structure of an object, but none of these things even matter if we can not be sure that the object even exists. Science is irrelevant if absolute truth does not exist.

The entire study of any science depends on truth being absolute, but their is no atheistic justification for believing in it. It is ironic that those who say their alleged disbelief in God is based on reason have absolutely no reason to believe in the very things on which they base their reason!

You are completely aware that with science, one) we have something other then broad leaps to explain why we believe in something 2) you can be nihlist, like me, who believes in absolutely nothing existing, and 3) Science is always changing. what we think is the truth today might be discovered to be a lie tomorrow. that's why we pursue science. to truly understand the world around us. to look at the world at surface value, you can never truly understand how complicated, and how pinpoint perfect it all is.

in other words; I believe your reasons are very much invalid. I will not lambaste you for being a christian, just the same as I do not want you to lambaste me for being atheist. I am simply explaining my thoughts.
Your test scores indicate that you are an open-minded ultra-progressive; this is the political profile one might associate with a university professor. It appears that you are skeptical towards religion, and have a balanced attitude towards humanity in general.

Your attitudes towards economics appear socialist, and combined with your social attitudes this creates the picture of someone who would generally be described as a humanist.

To round out the picture you appear to be, political preference aside, a sensible realistic egalitarian with many strong convictions.

"they say I don't have a heart. I say they don't have a brain."

Conscentia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Conscentia » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:52 am

The United American Social Republic wrote:We need to start calling our thing American. We've invented a few thousand words now that

Like what? We know all the words you use.

The United American Social Republic wrote:you stupid Brits don't use.

Don't flame.

The United American Social Republic wrote:They're distinct enough to be called different things.

Because color is sooooo different to colour.

Anyway, this is off-topic.
Last edited by Conscentia on Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Greater Istanistan
Senator

Founded: May 15, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Greater Istanistan » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:06 am

TriStates wrote:Color is actually spelled correctly, since he is North American.

Ahem. Nope. In the USA, you have colors. But really, us Canadians are more colourful people.

ASK ME ABOUT HARUHIISM

DYNASTIES ARE THEFT/IMPEACH REINHARD/YANG WENLI 2020

"I am not a champion of lost causes, but of causes not yet won." - Norman Thomas

Dread Lady Nathicana
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Dread Lady Nathicana » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:46 am

Stop gravedigging the topic, please. This is at least twice now.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General