NATION

PASSWORD

Ukraine Megathread: Crimea River Build a Bridge, Get Over It

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:18 am

The New Lowlands wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:And what authority was that?

Presumably the nearest airport.

When you can literally google what (civilian!) planes are flying above you, it seems like an extreme oversight not to at least check that the slow-moving aircraft that matches the profile of an attack aircraft isn't full of tourists.

I mean, it's not like they thought it was an Su-25.

The nearest airport was having a battle fought inside of it, and the next nearest ones were controlled by the Ukrainian military. They thought it was an AN-26, a transport plane, which was carrying paratroopers. They didn't get the AN-26.
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
St. John Chrysostom wrote:A comprehended God is no God.

The balkens
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The balkens » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:54 am

United Marxist Nations wrote:
The New Lowlands wrote:Presumably the nearest airport.

When you can literally google what (civilian!) planes are flying above you, it seems like an extreme oversight not to at least check that the slow-moving aircraft that matches the profile of an attack aircraft isn't full of tourists.

I mean, it's not like they thought it was an Su-25.

The nearest airport was having a battle fought inside of it, and the next nearest ones were controlled by the Ukrainian military. They thought it was an AN-26, a transport plane, which was carrying paratroopers. They didn't get the AN-26.

Instead they got a civilian airliner.

Their fucking fault. Stop defending them just because they just so happen to long for the days that the USSR existed.

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:28 pm

The balkens wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:The nearest airport was having a battle fought inside of it, and the next nearest ones were controlled by the Ukrainian military. They thought it was an AN-26, a transport plane, which was carrying paratroopers. They didn't get the AN-26.

Their fucking fault. Stop defending them just because they just so happen to long for the days that the USSR existed.

How is it their fault that a stupid airline put its plane over a warzone where several military transport planes had already been shot down, and in whcih the rebels had said that they would assume all planes were military ones (from their declaration of restricted airspace)? Hence their shock that it wasn't (e.g. "Why the fuck were they in our sky!?")
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only

Estruia
Minister

Founded: Mar 29, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Estruia » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:54 pm

The balkens wrote:

How is it their fault that a stupid airline put its plane over a warzone where several military transport planes had already been shot down, and in whcih the rebels had said that they would assume all planes were military ones (from their declaration of restricted airspace)? Hence their shock that it wasn't (e.g. "Why the fuck were they in our sky!?")

Everyone except for the Rebels are at fault for the Rebels shooting down a civilian airliner! Up is down, left is right and black is white, in UMN's world!
31/Genderfluid/ENFP Currently living in the US (Michigan).

Pro: Western Social Democracy, Western Liberal Democracy, Irish Freedom, United Ireland, Scottish Independence, Sinn Fein, SNP, Plaid Cymru, Pan-Celticism, Pan-Germanism, Guaranteed Minimum Income, 2SLGBTQIA+ Rights, Israel, Taiwan

Neutral: Gun Rights, British Labour Party, British Tories, Masculism

Anti: Islamism, Arab Nationalism, Palestine, Russian Imperialism, Ukrainian Nationalism, Pan-Slavism, LDPR, Vladimir Putin, Front Nationale, UKIP, BNP, Third-wave Feminism, Science-denial, Alt-Right Politics, China

The balkens
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The balkens » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:03 pm

Estruia wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:How is it their fault that a stupid airline put its plane over a warzone where several military transport planes had already been shot down, and in whcih the rebels had said that they would assume all planes were military ones (from their declaration of restricted airspace)? Hence their shock that it wasn't (e.g. "Why the fuck were they in our sky!?")

Everyone except for the Rebels are at fault for the Rebels shooting down a civilian airliner! Up is down, left is right and black is white, in UMN's world!

Apparently russians are never at fault. Always the victim, always the innocent.

Even when they, The rebels, shoot down an airliner.
Last edited by The balkens on Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The New Lowlands
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The New Lowlands » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:35 pm

The balkens wrote:

How is it my fault that if I declare a piece of the road mine and that I'll shoot anyone who crosses it, that some biker tried to cross it?!

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:39 pm

The New Lowlands wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:How is it their fault that a stupid airline put its plane over a warzone where several military transport planes had already been shot down, and in whcih the rebels had said that they would assume all planes were military ones (from their declaration of restricted airspace)? Hence their shock that it wasn't (e.g. "Why the fuck were they in our sky!?")

How is it my fault that if I declare a piece of the road mine and that I'll shoot anyone who crosses it, that some biker tried to cross it?!

Not an accurate comparison, it's more like you declare it yours for a couple months, tell everyone not to go there, when the police come to evict you, you shoot them, and then the police do precisely jack-shit to warn people of the danger.

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:42 pm

The balkens wrote:
Estruia wrote:

Then an airliner shouldn't have been flying into an area where planes that look like airliners are being used in a conflict against a group known to shoot down said planes that look like airliners. If the situation were reversed (that is, the Ukes shot down an aircraft in an area where they weren't supposed to be), then they also wouldn't be at fault for it. Interestingly enough, they did almost the exact same thing in 2001, and, again, it wasn't really their fault.

DBJ
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 07, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby DBJ » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:46 pm

Given that aircrafts have a transponder, it's be pretty easy to identify one as a civilian.

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:49 pm

DBJ wrote:Given that aircrafts have a transponder, it's be pretty easy to identify one as a civilian.

IIRC, you have to contact the plane to get the transponder code. And they don't always respond to non-Air Traffic Controllers (see the KAL 007 incident in which the plane completely ignored the Soviets).
Last edited by United Marxist Nations on Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mister B
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 19, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Mister B » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:12 pm

The balkens wrote:

Then an airliner shouldn't have been flying into an area where planes that look like airliners are being used in a conflict against a group known to shoot down said planes that look like airliners. If the situation were reversed (that is, the Ukes shot down an aircraft in an area where they weren't supposed to be), then they also wouldn't be at fault for it. Interestingly enough, they did almost the exact same thing in 2001, and, again, it wasn't really their fault.

More than a hundred civilian aircraft were flying through that airspace daily in the week leading up to the shoot down. The people operating the weapon were presumably aware of this. The fact that they then went on to fire at an aircraft they had not properly identified, knowing it could be any one of the hundreds of airliners still in the area, is not a simple mistake, its unfathomably reckless negligence.

Estruia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Estruia » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:18 pm

DBJ wrote:Given that aircrafts have a transponder, it's be pretty easy to identify one as a civilian.

IIRC, you have to contact the plane to get the transponder code. And they don't always respond to non-Air Traffic Controllers (see the KAL 007 incident in which the plane completely ignored the Soviets).

So, you're admitting that the Rebels are at fault, for firing on a plane they didn't contact or attempt to identify. Yet, you're still trying to defend them and act as if they aren't at fault? The lengths you will go to just to justify the actions of the Rebels are absolutely astounding.

Pro: Western Social Democracy, Western Liberal Democracy, Irish Freedom, United Ireland, Scottish Independence, Sinn Fein, SNP, Plaid Cymru, Pan-Celticism, Pan-Germanism, Guaranteed Minimum Income, 2SLGBTQIA+ Rights, Israel, Taiwan

Anti: Islamism, Arab Nationalism, Palestine, Russian Imperialism, Ukrainian Nationalism, Pan-Slavism, LDPR, Vladimir Putin, Front Nationale, UKIP, BNP, Third-wave Feminism, Science-denial, Alt-Right Politics, China

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:59 pm

Estruia wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:IIRC, you have to contact the plane to get the transponder code. And they don't always respond to non-Air Traffic Controllers (see the KAL 007 incident in which the plane completely ignored the Soviets).

So, you're admitting that the Rebels are at fault, for firing on a plane they didn't contact or attempt to identify. Yet, you're still trying to defend them and act as if they aren't at fault? The lengths you will go to just to justify the actions of the Rebels are absolutely astounding.

So, I take it a Marshal Estruia would tell his enemies he is going to shoot them before he does so?
Last edited by United Marxist Nations on Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:06 pm

Estruia wrote:
Yes, because it's the Ukrainian Government's fault that the Rebels are heartless fucks who would intentionally shoot down a commercial airliner filled with innocent civilians. OBVIOUSLY, EVERYTHING IS KIEV'S FAULT!

Except that we know they didn't *intentionally* shoot down a commercial airliner. As intercepted transmissions show, they thought it was a Ukrainian transport plane (of which they had already shot down a couple). And, yes, Kyiv is responsible for its own air security.

*Typo that I just now noticed*

Just noticed my possibly misunderstanding-creating typo. :oops:

Estruia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Estruia » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:07 pm

Estruia wrote:

So, I take it a Marshal Estruia would tell his enemies he is going to shoot them before he does so?

If I was going to fire on an aircraft whose origin I was unsure of, I would do everything within my power to identify said aircraft. That's what we do in the civilized world, UMN. Firing first and asking questions later is what leads to these sorts of fuck ups. Had they made contact with the aircraft and stated that the aircraft would be fired upon unless they made their identity known, then this whole thing could have been avoided. But, unfortunately, instead of being competent weapons operators, we're forced to deal with Russian(read poorly)-trained fucks controlling a very deadly piece of equipment.

If you want to keep making excuses for the Rebels, go for it. I certainly won't stop you, but don't sit there and place the blame on the dead. It's absolutely disgusting of you, because you certainly would not be singing the same tune in the roles were reversed; if Kiev shot down a rebel civilian passenger plane.

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:57 pm

That's like saying how is it the rapist's fault if their victim were dressed in provocative clothing and were wandering the streets at night? They're asking for trouble, right? Don't blame the rapist, blame the victim.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:07 pm

Estruia wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:So, I take it a Marshal Estruia would tell his enemies he is going to shoot them before he does so?

If I was going to fire on an aircraft whose origin I was unsure of, I would do everything within my power to identify said aircraft. That's what we do in the civilized world, UMN. Firing first and asking questions later is what leads to these sorts of fuck ups. Had they made contact with the aircraft and stated that the aircraft would be fired upon unless they made their identity known, then this whole thing could have been avoided. But, unfortunately, instead of being competent weapons operators, we're forced to deal with Russian(read poorly)-trained fucks controlling a very deadly piece of equipment.

If you want to keep making excuses for the Rebels, go for it. I certainly won't stop you, but don't sit there and place the blame on the dead. It's absolutely disgusting of you, because you certainly would not be singing the same tune in the roles were reversed; if Kiev shot down a rebel civilian passenger plane.

When did I blame the dead? They had no control over the flight path, and most probably weren't even aware of it.

New Reutlingen
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 30, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby New Reutlingen » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:26 am

Is this Russian-Ukraine bullshit still going on or has this passed?

Socialist Czechia
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Socialist Czechia » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:27 am

New Reutlingen wrote:Is this Russian-Ukraine bullshit still going on or has this passed?

first Westerners must accept Russian sphere of influence and stop to threaten them with more and more NATO/'Murican bases all around Russia.

in 1990s, russia had no choice but to accept EU's and NATO's expansions to their own borders, but no more.
NATO won't control Sevastopol base, EU won't control Ukraine.
"Those who reached my boundary, their seed is not; their hearts and their souls are finished forever and ever. As for those who had assembled before them on the sea, the full flame was their front before the harbour mouths, and a wall of metal upon the shore surrounded them. They were dragged, overturned, and laid low upon the beach; slain and made heaps from stern to bow of their galleys, while all their things were cast upon the water." - Ramesses III., Battle of the Delta

The balkens
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The balkens » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:02 am

Socialist Czechia wrote:
New Reutlingen wrote:Is this Russian-Ukraine bullshit still going on or has this passed?

first Westerners must accept Russian sphere of influence and stop to threaten them with more and more NATO/'Murican bases all around Russia.

in 1990s, russia had no choice but to accept EU's and NATO's expansions to their own borders, but no more.
NATO won't control Sevastopol base, EU won't control Ukraine.

Ha. Ha. No.

Washington Resistance Army
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 08, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Washington Resistance Army » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:03 am

Socialist Czechia wrote:

first Westerners must accept Russian sphere of influence

Sure, just as soon as you accept that the entire world is America's sphere of influence because freedom.
Hellenic Polytheist, Socialist

Seraven
Senator

Founded: Jun 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Seraven » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:13 am

Still going on until the time when Russia controls the world.
Copper can change as its quality went down.
Gold can't change, for its quality never went down.
The Alma Mater wrote:
Seraven wrote:I know right! Whites enslaved the natives, they killed them, they converted them forcibly, they acted like a better human beings than the Muslims.

An excellent example of why allowing unrestricted immigration of people with a very different culture might not be the best idea ever :P

Estruia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Estruia » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:25 am

Random side-note: Who is going to contact the mods to make a new Ukraine Megathread?

Socialist Czechia
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Socialist Czechia » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:32 am

Washington Resistance Army wrote:
Socialist Czechia wrote:
first Westerners must accept Russian sphere of influence

Sure, just as soon as you accept that the entire world is America's sphere of influence because freedom.

you mean Wall Street's sphere of influence, because only market, not state profits from this 'american sphere'.
because how exactly common 'murican citizens profits from like thousand military bases, 'humanitarian' carpet bombings and costly invasions to like dozen countries?

russian sphere of inluence, on the other hand, is just meant locally, to defend their own borders, since Westerners never showed any reason to trust them.
they always allied Russia just to save their own asses, like when Russia kinda destroyed both Napoleon and Hitler. they never showed any respect to Russian Empire or USSR.
"Those who reached my boundary, their seed is not; their hearts and their souls are finished forever and ever. As for those who had assembled before them on the sea, the full flame was their front before the harbour mouths, and a wall of metal upon the shore surrounded them. They were dragged, overturned, and laid low upon the beach; slain and made heaps from stern to bow of their galleys, while all their things were cast upon the water." - Ramesses III., Battle of the Delta

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:48 am

Costa Fierro wrote:

That's like saying how is it the rapist's fault if their victim were dressed in provocative clothing and were wandering the streets at night? They're asking for trouble, right? Don't blame the rapist, blame the victim.

Again, when did I blame the people on the plane? I blamed the people who knew of the imminent danger to all air-traffic (i.e. Kyiv and Malaysia Airlines).

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General