NATION

PASSWORD

[Abortion Thread] A Matter of Choice (NEW POLL!)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What is your position on State Referenda enshrining Abortion as a constitutional right?

All states should do it! If any states haven't, they damn well need to!
53%
The states should raise the standards for passage to 60% or higher, where applicable!
8%
The state governments should do all they can to block these referenda!
28%
I for one welcome sugary oblivion! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu is a part of my balanced breakfast!
11%

Total votes : 432

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:11 pm

Also should we go start a first degree murder investigation every time a miscarriage that the Sword of the State is able to detect happens?
The Holy Romangnan Empire of Ostmark
something something the sole legitimate Austria-Hungary larp'er on NS :3

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:13 pm

Ineva wrote:
Spirit of Hope wrote:How is the former different in a meaningful sense from seeking an abortion?

Why are you apposed to IVF? It is a process that seeks to help those suffering from a number of different issues have wanted children.

Because often, abortion is not done immediately after implantation. At least with birth control, it is minimizing the scale of suffering.

Except there is no difference in the scale of the suffering. A fetus is without any capacity to feel until well after the vast majority of abortions occur. The only person who could be said to "suffer" more is the pregnant person, but the evidence is that they seek an abortion as soon as they know they are pregnant.

While I do commend the purpose of IVF, which is largely to offer parents and couples who cannot conceive children through the normal means, its death toll is simply staggering. 1.7 million discarded fetuses compared to the 100.000 born through IVF is not enough for me to justify its application. Adoption is a viable alternative, even if it lacks the blood connection.

So you apposed it because it destroys fetuses that wouldn't have existed without it while leading to births that wouldn't have existed without it.

Also adoption isn't a viable alternative, in the US there are more people looking to adopt than there are babies to adopt. To use your own numbers, there are 100,000 children born through IVF, there are only about 18,000 children relinquished for adoption in a year.

Now you can also look to adoption from foster care, where there are around 100,000 at any given time, but these are generally have special needs, such as being older, being in sibling groups, medical conditions, or disabilities.

You may notice that those numbers don't add up to allowing every family who has a child through IVF to be able to adopt a child.
Fact Book.
Helpful hints on combat vehicle terminology.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

Empire of Lettuce
Envoy

Founded: Dec 19, 2023
Ex-Nation

Postby Empire of Lettuce » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:14 pm

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:Also should we go start a first degree murder investigation every time a miscarriage that the Sword of the State is able to detect happens?

Are you joking?
Tier 6, Level 0, Type 7 according to this
Centrist
THE CLASS OF ANARCHY IS WRONG.

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:16 pm

Empire of Lettuce wrote:
Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:Also should we go start a first degree murder investigation every time a miscarriage that the Sword of the State is able to detect happens?

Are you joking?

If fetuses are actually endowed with the rights of born persons then wouldn't it be natural to investigate every wrongful death even for persons like this?

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

Empire of Lettuce
Envoy

Founded: Dec 19, 2023
Ex-Nation

Postby Empire of Lettuce » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:18 pm

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:
Empire of Lettuce wrote:Are you joking?

If fetuses are actually endowed with the rights of born persons then wouldn't it be natural to investigate every wrongful death even for persons like this?

That idea I think would fail because there are so many miscarriages such as my mom having one. I find these rather a dumb idea as it spends to much money on an idea that is useless.
Tier 6, Level 0, Type 7 according to this
Centrist
THE CLASS OF ANARCHY IS WRONG.

Godular
Forum Moderator

Founded: Sep 09, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:22 pm

Ineva wrote:
Godular wrote:
Why should the defender have to determine intent to cause harm before they can defend themselves? Is it not sufficient that they are simply trying to prevent themselves from being harmed?

Aside from excessive or lethal force, the defender should still at least attempt to diagnose intent, as we all subconsciously do. If I step on your foot without malicious intent, I doubt you would shove me nearly as hard as you would if I jumped on it repeatedly to evoke a response.

Generally, the primary assumption of Self defense is that a reasonable person is expected to be fucking terrified. The expectation that the defender be capable of doing anything rationally in the heat of the moment is decidedly not reasonable.
Now the moderation team really IS Godmoding.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Ineva
Minister

Founded: Dec 16, 2023
Corporate Bordello

Postby Ineva » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:25 pm

Godular wrote:
Ineva wrote:Aside from excessive or lethal force, the defender should still at least attempt to diagnose intent, as we all subconsciously do. If I step on your foot without malicious intent, I doubt you would shove me nearly as hard as you would if I jumped on it repeatedly to evoke a response.

Generally, the primary assumption of Self defense is that a reasonable person is expected to be fucking terrified. The expectation that the defender be capable of doing anything rationally in the heat of the moment is decidedly not reasonable.

I reckon those pregnant and desiring to terminate their child(ren) would thus have more than enough time to diagnose intent, true?
Ineva
Ineva, OoC.
Observant CaTETholic.
Second-best F7er of April 2024!
Want a news box? Use the pre tag.
Ineva represents my real political views.
Establish foreign relations with Ineva here.
If you have any questions about G-d, TG me.
Ineva is like Israel. It is not actually Israel.
This Index classifies Ineva as Tier 8, Type 4, Class 2.
IC population is 11.12 million. Everything else is canon.
A cordial thank you to Statesburg for teaching me about the pre tag.
Abortion is murder.
Stand with ISRAEL.
FTR2TS = Genocide.
- Inevan Signature News - Etwepe becomes Registered Ally | Nu Elysium becomes Registered Foe | Memorial service held for Goo Goo | Memorial service held for The second Akane Kurokawa | Ancientania becomes Registered Ally | Ravemath becomes Registered Ally

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:27 pm

Ineva wrote:
Godular wrote:

I reckon those pregnant and desiring to terminate their child(ren) would thus have more than enough time to diagnose intent, true?

What if a strict abortion ban is preventing her medical team from arriving at the appropriate diagnosis and treatment?

MT/MagicT

Ineva
Minister

Corporate Bordello

Postby Ineva » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:29 pm

Ineva wrote:I reckon those pregnant and desiring to terminate their child(ren) would thus have more than enough time to diagnose intent, true?

What if a strict abortion ban is preventing her medical team from arriving at the appropriate diagnosis and treatment?

I am strictly speaking to intent at the moment. I will not deny that Savita Halappanavar's was a tragedy. Partially why I tolerate abortion in cases where the mother is facing a high risk of death.
Ineva
Ineva, OoC.
Observant CaTETholic.
Abortion is murder.
Stand with ISRAEL.
FTR2TS = Genocide.
- Inevan Signature News - Etwepe becomes Registered Ally | Nu Elysium becomes Registered Foe | Memorial service held for Goo Goo | Memorial service held for The second Akane Kurokawa | Ancientania becomes Registered Ally | Ravemath becomes Registered Ally

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:30 pm

Ineva wrote:

I am strictly speaking to intent at the moment. I will not deny that Savita Halappanavar's was a tragedy. Partially why I tolerate abortion in cases where the mother is facing a high risk of death.

Have you heard of the term "chilling effect"?

MT/MagicT

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:30 pm

Ineva wrote:
Godular wrote:

Intent isn't required to cause harm. The fetus is harming the pregnant person in an unwanted pregnancy. The remedy to this harm is an abortion.
Fact Book.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

Ineva
Minister

Corporate Bordello

Postby Ineva » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:40 pm

Spirit of Hope wrote:
Ineva wrote:I reckon those pregnant and desiring to terminate their child(ren) would thus have more than enough time to diagnose intent, true?

Intent isn't required to cause harm. The fetus is harming the pregnant person in an unwanted pregnancy. The remedy to this harm is an abortion.

Killing anything/anyone that bothers you is a great remedy for yourself, but not the thing/person on the receiving end.
Ineva
Ineva, OoC.
Observant CaTETholic.
Abortion is murder.
Stand with ISRAEL.
FTR2TS = Genocide.

Ineva
Minister

Corporate Bordello

Postby Ineva » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:42 pm

Ineva wrote:I am strictly speaking to intent at the moment. I will not deny that Savita Halappanavar's was a tragedy. Partially why I tolerate abortion in cases where the mother is facing a high risk of death.

Have you heard of the term "chilling effect"?

I'm familiar with the basics.
Ineva
Ineva, OoC.
Observant CaTETholic.
Abortion is murder.
Stand with ISRAEL.
FTR2TS = Genocide.

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:45 pm

Ineva wrote:
Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:Have you heard of the term "chilling effect"?

I'm familiar with the basics.

Then you understand why, under Ireland's strict abortion ban (with threat to life exceptions), Savita still died, right?
Because her medical team didn't want to go to prison or fight a emotionally devastating court case that had nothing to do with their profession. So they refused to extricate the dead fetus, and so Savita contracted sepsis, and so she died in agony.

MT/MagicT

Ineva
Minister

Corporate Bordello

Postby Ineva » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:48 pm

Ineva wrote:I'm familiar with the basics.

Then you understand why, under Ireland's strict abortion ban (with threat to life exceptions), Savita still died, right?
Because her medical team didn't want to go to prison or fight a emotionally devastating court case that had nothing to do with their profession. So they refused to extricate the dead fetus, and so Savita contracted sepsis, and so she died in agony.

We're dealing with the exceptions of the exceptions now. Again, while her case was a tragedy, we ought to look at the picture as a whole.
Ineva
Ineva, OoC.
Observant CaTETholic.
Abortion is murder.
Stand with ISRAEL.
FTR2TS = Genocide.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:49 pm

Ineva wrote:

That’s nice.

The problem? It’s as valuable as the often repeated phrase “thoughts and prayers”

Most of the shitty laws that replaced or reactivated after ROE was removed are still in place or unaltered. Why does a woman have to carry to term a child that will die right after birth? Why are women forced to carry dead children while the system and the courts figure out what to do? Why are hospitals debating if an abortion is wrong for an ectopic pregnancy?
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:50 pm

Ineva wrote:
Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:Then you understand why, under Ireland's strict abortion ban (with threat to life exceptions), Savita still died, right?

We're dealing with the exceptions of the exceptions now. Again, while her case was a tragedy, we ought to look at the picture as a whole.

Despite whatever a russian dictator may have once said, every death matters. And you cannot brush them aside as "collateral damage" or "acceptable casualties" if you advocate for a strict abortion ban.

MT/MagicT

Ineva
Minister

Corporate Bordello

Postby Ineva » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:51 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Ineva wrote:I am strictly speaking to intent at the moment. I will not deny that Savita Halappanavar's was a tragedy. Partially why I tolerate abortion in cases where the mother is facing a high risk of death.

That’s nice.

The problem? It’s as valuable as the often repeated phrase “thoughts and prayers”

Most of the shitty laws that replaced or reactivated after ROE was removed are still in place or unaltered. Why does a woman have to carry to term a child that will die right after birth? Why are women forced to carry dead children while the system and the courts figure out what to do? Why are hospitals debating if an abortion is wrong for an ectopic pregnancy?

If the baby is already dead, there is no reason a woman should have to carry him.
Ineva
Ineva, OoC.
Observant CaTETholic.
Abortion is murder.
Stand with ISRAEL.
FTR2TS = Genocide.

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:51 pm

Ineva wrote:
Spirit of Hope wrote:

Killing anything/anyone that bothers you is a great remedy for yourself, but not the thing/person on the receiving end.

I would call forced pregnancy more than a bother, what with maternal mortality, high chance of major surgery, major changes to the body, and high medical expenses. Denied abortions, and being forced to carry the pregnancy to term, has proven to have negative effects on women, and their other children, for years after.

Put frankly the fetus doesn't get to use the pregnant persons body without consent. If the pregnant person doesn't consent to being pregnant then they can remove the fetus.
Fact Book.

Ineva
Minister

Corporate Bordello

Postby Ineva » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:52 pm

Ineva wrote:We're dealing with the exceptions of the exceptions now. Again, while her case was a tragedy, we ought to look at the picture as a whole.

Despite whatever a russian dictator may have once said, every death matters. And you cannot brush them aside as "collateral damage" or "acceptable casualties" if you advocate for a strict abortion ban.

Again, I am not against every single case of abortion. Though if I had to choose, I'd rather there be no abortions than all abortions. Eight million plus dead is unjustifiable.
Ineva
Ineva, OoC.
Observant CaTETholic.
Abortion is murder.
Stand with ISRAEL.
FTR2TS = Genocide.

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:53 pm

Ineva wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:
That’s nice.

If the baby is already dead, there is no reason a woman should have to carry him.

But the medical team won't do an abortion now until the woman's circulatory system is literally falling apart, because they do not want to end up charged with murder by a jealous State.

MT/MagicT

Ineva
Minister

Corporate Bordello

Postby Ineva » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:53 pm

Spirit of Hope wrote:
Ineva wrote:Killing anything/anyone that bothers you is a great remedy for yourself, but not the thing/person on the receiving end.

I would call forced pregnancy more than a bother, what with maternal mortality, high chance of major surgery, major changes to the body, and high medical expenses. Denied abortions, and being forced to carry the pregnancy to term, has proven to have negative effects on women, and their other children, for years after.

Put frankly the fetus doesn't get to use the pregnant persons body without consent. If the pregnant person doesn't consent to being pregnant then they can remove the fetus.

This is circling back to a discussion I believe we've had previously (unless I am mistaking you for another user). It seems futile to hash that out once more.
Ineva
Ineva, OoC.
Observant CaTETholic.
Abortion is murder.
Stand with ISRAEL.
FTR2TS = Genocide.

Godular
Forum Moderator

Founded: Sep 09, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:54 pm

Ineva wrote:
Spirit of Hope wrote:

It amuses me how you use 'bothers you' as a synonym for 'harm'. It is incorrect to do so.

In any event, there is a concept known as 'necessary force', which is generally described as 'whatever force is necessary to resolve the situation as quickly as possible'. For other born persons this could simply involve swatting a hand out of the way or screaming to alert others nearby. In regards to an unwanted pregnancy, the only means of resolving the situation with immediacy is inherently lethal to the entity causing the harm.

It is unfortunate, but that does not give cause to place further onus on the woman to justify her desire to terminate the pregnancy.
Now the moderation team really IS Godmoding.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Ineva
Minister

Corporate Bordello

Postby Ineva » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:55 pm

Godular wrote:
Ineva wrote:Killing anything/anyone that bothers you is a great remedy for yourself, but not the thing/person on the receiving end.

It amuses me how you use 'bothers you' as a synonym for 'harm'. It is incorrect to do so.

In any event, there is a concept known as 'necessary force', which is generally described as 'whatever force is necessary to resolve the situation as quickly as possible'. For other born persons this could simply involve swatting a hand out of the way or screaming to alert others nearby. In regards to an unwanted pregnancy, the only means of resolving the situation with immediacy is inherently lethal to the entity causing the harm.

It is unfortunate, but that does not give cause to place further onus on the woman to justify her desire to terminate the pregnancy.

Is harm not bothersome?
Ineva
Ineva, OoC.
Observant CaTETholic.
Abortion is murder.
Stand with ISRAEL.
FTR2TS = Genocide.

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:00 pm

Ineva wrote:
Spirit of Hope wrote:

This is circling back to a discussion I believe we've had previously (unless I am mistaking you for another user). It seems futile to hash that out once more.

Well it would be a continuation of your refusal to confront the harm caused by your various proposals, from punishing women for miscarriages they can't control, to deny people the ability to have families, to killing women by denying them abortions. Done for a perspective that privileges the fetus over the pregnant person.
Fact Book.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General