NATION

PASSWORD

The NFL Thread: 2018 Preseason

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Here you go. Last poll of the 2018 season boys.

Poll ended at Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:16 pm

# 1: New England Patriots
55%
# 2: Philadelphia Eagles
45%

Total votes : 29

Zurkerx
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 20, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Zurkerx » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:28 am

Jerzylvania wrote:
Idzequitch wrote:Not terribly risky. The Jets still have Darnold, and, if the need should arise, Josh McCown. There was no real need for them to keep all three. The Saints get a big upgrade at the backup spot too. Works out for both teams, really.

McCown must be close to 40 now and he's not Tom Brady. In fact, I expect Brady to begin his inevitable career death spiral with clear bouts of diminishing athleticism this season.

He's that old, damn. Well, Brady has managed to escape from injuries for most of his career, mostly because the offensive line has managed to protect him so well. As long as that remains strong, he'll continue to perform strong despite his age. Now, if he gets hit a lot this season, then that could change.
A Golden Civic: The New Pragmatic Libertarian
My Words: Indeed, Indubitably & Malarkey
Retired Admin in NSGS and NS Parliament

Accountant, Author, History Buff, Political Junkie
“Has ambition so eclipsed principle?” ~ Mitt Romney
"Try not to become a person of success, but rather try to become a person of value." ~ Albert Einstein
"Trust, but verify." ~ Ronald Reagan

Baltimore-Ravens
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 21, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Baltimore-Ravens » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:02 am

Jerzylvania wrote:Browns LB Mychal Kendricks Charged with Insider Trading

Well kids, stay away from your friends that deal drugs or end up working for Goldman Sachs. :eyebrow:

The Browns released LB Mychal Kendricks this morning.
World's Unofficial #1 Ravens Fan!

An NFL thread alternate nation of ???

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:06 am

Baltimore-Ravens wrote:

Well kids, stay away from your friends that deal drugs or end up working for Goldman Sachs. :eyebrow:

One of the odder things nfl players have been charged for
Join the rejected realms and never fear rejection again
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Baltimore-Ravens
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Baltimore-Ravens » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:36 pm

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:
Baltimore-Ravens wrote:

One of the odder things nfl players have been charged for

Kendricks was an Insider Linebacker. :p

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 22, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Idzequitch » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:12 pm

Baltimore-Ravens wrote:

What a strange situation.
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
Political Compass Left/Right 0.13
Libertarian/Authoritarian -5.38
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:04 pm

The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Postby Idzequitch » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:50 pm

He had a habit of playing for teams I don't like, but he was an amazing athlete, who appears to be a good guy walking away for good reasons. I respect that.
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 29, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:56 pm

Notable roster cuts:
Bucs: RB Charles Sims. Haven't heard much of him but wasn't he supposed to be competing for a starting job?

Saints: WR Michael Floyd. I was convinced this dude was going to be a 5 time pro bowler by the time he hung them up after tearing it up down the stretch in 2015 with the Cardinals. (3 hundred yard outings in the final 6 weeks), but he got cut before 2016 and has flamed out since.

Pats: RB Khalfani Muhammed. Not really notable, just a guy I always thought might end up being a decent player. Maybe I was wrong.

Houston: Shane Lechler, who retired, and Braxton Miller, who I think they should've given another year. He was a Q in college, after all.

Browns: Jeff Janis! Since when was this dude not in Green Bay!?

Falcons: OT Austin Paztor. This guy's a sub-par starter from what I've seen of him on the Browns. He would've been the second OL that they got out of Cleveland, as they already have stud Alex Mack in the middle, and Ron Parker. Parker was a starting safety for the Chiefs the past few years who was an okay player if I remember. What happened? Why the hell would he try his hand in Atlanta, where they're loaded at safety? I'd take him over Vaccaro in Tennessee.
Fan of football, the Murican kind. But soccer is cool too! Just not really my thing. C(:^D/-<
I go by Ran. Unless, of course, you want to type out Ranoria. That's your decision.
Lumi is my NS mom
Champions: NSCF 20, 22, 27, 29, 30. World Bowl 42, 43, 46, WBC 57

Hosting: Co-Host WB 44, 47, Host WB 46, plus some NSCAA/NSCF conferences here and there

Shazbotdom
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2004
Anarchy

Postby Shazbotdom » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:15 pm

I got surprised that the Saints cut Kikaha. But I understand that they are worried he won't stay healthy.
NHL Conference Finals NYR 0 - 0 FLA | EDM 0 - 0 DAL
ShazWeb || IIWiki || Discord: shazbertbot || 1 x NFL Picks League Champion (2021)
CosmoCast || SISA || CCD || CrawDaddy || SCIA || COPEC || Boudreaux's || CLS || SNC || ShazAir || BHC || TWO
NCAA MBB: Tulane 31-24 | LSU 36-20 || NCAA WSB: LSU 42-15

Mystic Warriors
Minister

Founded: May 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Mystic Warriors » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:13 am

Hopefully mack stays with Oakland.
Proud Trump Hater. Ban Fascism in all its forms. Disagreeing with a comment because you hate who said it is childish.

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 29, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:27 am

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2454 ... nd-raiders

Khalil Mack to the Bears. It's funny because Green Bay just paid Aaron Rodgers.

Look at the Bears D now though:
Khalil Mack off one edge, Leonard Floyd off the other, and I fully expect Floyd to post 8+ sacks, Roquan Smith in the middle, and these guys were a top 10 defense already last year.

It's a fucking stupid move by Oakland though, I don't care if you got 2 first rounders for it(which I doubt). Mack wasn't even asking for as much as Von Miller, even though he's an arguably better player, and we see guys who aren't as good routinely get better contracts than the #1 guys because of the expanding cap. Derek Carr's pissed off, and you lost your best player. Idiots.

Other news: Bills cut Corey Coleman. Surprising, but I guess he does actually suck. I always thought he was a really good player honestly.
Fan of football, the Murican kind. But soccer is cool too! Just not really my thing. C(:^D/-<
I go by Ran. Unless, of course, you want to type out Ranoria. That's your decision.
Lumi is my NS mom
Champions: NSCF 20, 22, 27, 29, 30. World Bowl 42, 43, 46, WBC 57

Hosting: Co-Host WB 44, 47, Host WB 46, plus some NSCAA/NSCF conferences here and there

Baltimore-Ravens
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Baltimore-Ravens » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:04 pm

Ravens trade RG III for two future draft picks. Nice haul for minimal investment.

Good luck swimming with the Fish, Robert.

This^ report appears to have been erroneous.

RG III is still flying with Ravens, not being cut.
Last edited by Baltimore-Ravens on Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:07 pm

The first regular season game is on the 6th (Thursday night football is an abomination), any objections to shutting this down before it hits 500 pages, say on Wednesday?
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Baltimore-Ravens
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Baltimore-Ravens » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:13 pm

Farnhamia wrote:The first regular season game is on the 6th (Thursday night football is an abomination), any objections to shutting this down before it hits 500 pages, say on Wednesday?

I'm down with it being locked.

Those Thursday games need to go.

The Ravens placed backup kicker Kaare Vedvik on the non football injury list. What?

This per 105.7 The Fan: Norwegian Kaare Vedvik was taken to shock trauma last night after being involved in an incident. Vedvik sustained head injuries & got his teeth knocked out. The Ravens confirmed they are aware of his head injuries. Not a car accident?

WTF?
Last edited by Baltimore-Ravens on Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Postby Idzequitch » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:35 pm

Farnhamia wrote:The first regular season game is on the 6th (Thursday night football is an abomination), any objections to shutting this down before it hits 500 pages, say on Wednesday?

No objections here.

Also, yes. The Thursday games make no sense. Thanksgiving is fun, but otherwise Thursday seems like such a random day to play. And it gives teams such a short week of practice. Though the one or two random Saturday games per year are even more annoying.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
9Axes Results

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Postby Idzequitch » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:43 pm

Ranoria wrote:http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24543080/chicago-bears-reach-agreement-trade-khalil-mack-oakland-raiders

Khalil Mack off one edge, Leonard Floyd off the other, and I fully expect Floyd to post 8+ sacks, Roquan Smith in the middle, and these guys were a top 10 defense already last year.

It's a fucking stupid move by Oakland though, I don't care if you got 2 first rounders for it(which I doubt). Mack wasn't even asking for as much as Von Miller, even though he's an arguably better player, and we see guys who aren't as good routinely get better contracts than the #1 guys because of the expanding cap. Derek Carr's pissed off, and you lost your best player. Idiots.

Other news: Bills cut Corey Coleman. Surprising, but I guess he does actually suck. I always thought he was a really good player honestly.

That Chicago defense is beginning to return to its old form. Back in the days of Lance Briggs and Brian Urlacher, nobody looked forward to playing Chicago's D. They may be closing in on that level of play again now.

On the other hand, those old Bears also had a weakness. His name was Rex Grossman. So now the question is if Mitchell Trubisky can avoid being Rex 2.0
Last edited by Idzequitch on Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
9Axes Results

Mystic Warriors
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mystic Warriors » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:44 pm

Ranoria wrote:http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24543080/chicago-bears-reach-agreement-trade-khalil-mack-oakland-raiders

:(

I don't think Oakland had the cap room.
Proud Trump Hater. Ban Fascism in all its forms. Disagreeing with a comment because you hate who said it is childish.

Saint Ryvern
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 15, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Ryvern » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:00 pm

Mystic Warriors wrote:

They had enough for this year. Next year it would’ve mattered who came off the books.

Mystic Warriors
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mystic Warriors » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:01 pm

Saint Ryvern wrote:
Mystic Warriors wrote:

They had enough for this year. Next year it would’ve mattered who came off the books.

Being a Raider fan is painful

Kohr
Minister

Founded: Aug 24, 2015
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kohr » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:27 pm

Well, we just released Brian Robison, our long time defensive end. He had been with us since 2007.

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Postby Idzequitch » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:39 pm

The Mack trade details are out.

The Raiders get: Chicago's 1st and 6th round picks in 2019 and Chicago's 1st and 3rd round picks in 2020.

The Bears get: Mack, Oakland's 2nd round pick in 2020, and a conditional 5th round pick in 2020.

Given the Bears' current status, I'm not sure this makes a ton of sense. Mortgage the future for a guy who's in the middle of his prime now. It may work out if they can sign Mack to a long-term extension, but we'll have to see. This improves an already solid defense, but offensively, they're going nowhere fast.

I see what they're doing, and I think they even got decent value for an exceptional talent. However, this strikes me as a "win now" move by a team that actually still can't win now. *shrug*
Last edited by Idzequitch on Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
9Axes Results

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:44 pm

Baltimore-Ravens wrote:

The Ravens placed backup kicker Kaare Vedvik on the non football injury list. What?

This per 105.7 The Fan: Norwegian Kaare Vedvik was taken to shock trauma last night after being involved in an incident. Vedvik sustained head injuries & got his teeth knocked out. The Ravens confirmed they are aware of his head injuries. Not a car accident?

WTF?

Bar fight. "Back-up kicker? Bwaahahaha!"
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 10, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Jerzylvania » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:59 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Baltimore-Ravens wrote:

WTF?

Bar fight. "Back-up kicker? Bwaahahaha!"

Was it a bar fight? They did find him down in the pavement on Boone Street at 4 AM... not good.

BTW, this kicker is a monster. He punts the ball like Koch and hits FGs like Justin Tucker but would only be one roster spot. He's a sizeable black dude from Norway and teams were calling about trading a pick for him
Last edited by Jerzylvania on Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Donald Trump has no clue as to what "insuring the domestic tranquility" means

The Baltimore Orioles are shocking the baseball world!

Jerzylvania is the NFL Picks League Champion in 2018 and in 2020 as puppet Traffic Signal and AGAIN in 2023 as puppet Joe Munchkin !!!

Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 10, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Jerzylvania » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:01 pm

Idzequitch wrote:The Mack trade details are out.

The Raiders get: Chicago's 1st and 6th round picks in 2019 and Chicago's 1st and 3rd round picks in 2020.

The Bears get: Mack, Oakland's 2nd round pick in 2020, and a conditional 5th round pick in 2020.

Given the Bears' current status, I'm not sure this makes a ton of sense. Mortgage the future for a guy who's in the middle of his prime now. It may work out if they can sign Mack to a long-term extension, but we'll have to see. This improves an already solid defense, but offensively, they're going nowhere fast.

I see what they're doing, and I think they even got decent value for an exceptional talent. However, this strikes me as a "win now" move by a team that actually still can't win now. *shrug*

Ditka's Hershel Walker trade comes to mind. That didn't work out either.
Donald Trump has no clue as to what "insuring the domestic tranquility" means

The Baltimore Orioles are shocking the baseball world!

Jerzylvania is the NFL Picks League Champion in 2018 and in 2020 as puppet Traffic Signal and AGAIN in 2023 as puppet Joe Munchkin !!!

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Postby Idzequitch » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:26 pm

San Francisco has lost starting RB Jerick McKinnon to a torn ACL. Needless to say, he's done for the season. Sucks for the Niners, but should be a big-time opportunity for both young gun Matt Breida and older veteran Alfred Morris.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
9Axes Results

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General