NATION

PASSWORD

Which God?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Greengrow
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 08, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Greengrow » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:35 pm

Nordicus wrote:
Greengrow wrote:u dont make sense

Someone is not making sense, true, but I do not believe the culprit is Seperates...

Perhaps a little bit of basic grammar and spelling, say, at sixth-grade level, would help to convey your meaning?

excuse me?

i said he should follow a christian faith he said they only go to mass i said he was wrong because faiths cant go to mass because they arent something physical he said bullshit he has seen faiths cut him off on the road.

since when has concepts and ideas driven cars?

that crash out the front of my house must have been a collision between communism and libertarianism :lol2:
Last edited by Greengrow on Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:37 pm

Greengrow wrote:
Seperates wrote:
Greengrow wrote:
Seperates wrote:
Greengrow wrote:
Small Huts wrote:Alright believers. Let's say I'm willing to grant the supernatural entity's existence, that I've had a personal revelation that leads me to say, "I have felt the presence". Which religion should I follow?

one of the predominat christian faiths for they are the true ones who follow the teachings of Jesus Christ and God

And yet... to my knowledge... about 90% of those don't even do that except show up to mass every other Sunday.

faiths is a concept or and ideal they dont show up to mass the people who follow them do

Bullshit. I can't remember how many times I've had a person, who seems to be an outstanding person in the Church, cut me off in the Church parking lot and then speed their way down the street, oblivious to the lives they are putting in danger.

so u r saying that faiths do go to mass?

u dont make sense

Hell yes! Christianity is full of a bunch of lip-servicers. I got tired of it because I didn't get the feeling that God was with me. I get that feeling only when I'm with people who are accepting of all creeds and races. I've found that they can be Hindu, Catholic, or Muslim. It doesn't matter. I only really accept those that try to follow their religious values in everyday life. With the exception of bigots and extremists.
This Debate is simply an exercise in Rhetoric. Truth is a fickle being with no intentions of showing itself today.

Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo

"The most important fact about us: that we are greater than the institutions and cultures we build."--Roberto Mangabeira Unger

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:37 pm

Greengrow wrote:
Muravyets wrote:
Greengrow wrote:
Muravyets wrote:
Greengrow wrote:
Small Huts wrote:Alright believers. Let's say I'm willing to grant the supernatural entity's existence, that I've had a personal revelation that leads me to say, "I have felt the presence". Which religion should I follow?

one of the predominat christian faiths for they are the true ones who follow the teachings of Jesus Christ and God

I'm not sure I understand you.

Are you saying that only the predominant Christian faiths are the true Christian faiths? So...like, the Catholics and ...what...the Lutherans or Baptists or that sort of thing?

Does that mean that other, smaller Christian faiths are not truly following the teachings of Jesus Christ and God?

If so, which ones are OK and which ones aren't, and why?

Or are you saying that non-Christian faiths are not true followers of the teachings of Jesus Christ and God?

If so, that would hardly be surprising, would it, since if they were true followers of the teachings of Jesus, they'd be Christian faiths, not non-Christian faiths. So if you're looking to follow Jesus, you shouldn't join those faiths.

But if you're looking for something other than Jesus, then why wouldn't one of those other faiths work for you? Surely, at least some of those faiths must be the true followers of whatever it is they say they follow.

well of course the religions like muslim and shinto dont follow Jesus's teachings cause if thet would it would be another christian faith what i am saying is that some of the newer ones that keep splitting off from the older ones r getting further away from what the Son of God wanted so like ones that are catholic and lutheran and greek othordox and even church of england but ones like quakers and mormans and baptist arent

Quakers and Baptists are not that new. They are not much younger than the CoE. And I find it interesting that you think that Catholicism AND Orthodoxy AND (at least some) Protestantism all are in keeping with what the Christian God wanted, even though those three groups each think the others are getting it horribly wrong on certain vital points.

but they are all closest in the teachings of Jesus Christ see baptists and quakers have split off from these spliters so they must be further away from the orginal and therefore more likely to be wrong.

That does not follow at all. That would be like saying, the more we think about something, the less we figure out about it. Just because an idea is newer, that doesn't mean it is less valid.

as for faiths like muslim or ones that dont follow his teachings he shouldnt follow them

I'm confused by too many third-person pronouns. "his teachings" means Jesus' teachings, right? But then who is the "he" in "he shouldn't follow them"? The OP? If so, why shouldn't he follow those other faiths? What if he isn't looking for what Jesus and the Christian God are offering? What if he is looking for something else, spiritually? Shouldn't he follow a god or set of gods that is/are offering what he is looking for?

yes the teachings of Jesus and the he who should follow is the person who asked the question in the first post of this thread is it really that hard to understand?

Yes, because your grammar is very bad. It makes it very difficult to figure out what you are trying to say.

well he can go and join anything else he wants but he would be wrong to believe in them but God will forgive him and if he lives a good life he will get into heaven anyway that is why i said he should go for one of the truer christian faiths cause then he will be following what is right.

If you think he will get into heaven regardless of his religion, as long as he lives a good life, what difference does it make which faith he follows?
Kick back at Cafe Muravyets
And check out my other RP, too. (Don't take others' word for it -- see for yourself. ;) )
I agree with Muravyets because she scares me. -- Verdigroth
However, I am still not the topic of this thread.

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:39 pm

Greengrow wrote:
Nordicus wrote:
Greengrow wrote:u dont make sense

Someone is not making sense, true, but I do not believe the culprit is Seperates...

Perhaps a little bit of basic grammar and spelling, say, at sixth-grade level, would help to convey your meaning?

excuse me?

i said he should follow a christian faith he said they only go to mass i said he was wrong because faiths cant go to mass because they arent something physical he said bullshit he has seen faiths cut him off on the road.

since when has concepts and ideas driven cars?

that crash out the front of my house must have been a collision between communism and libertarianism :lol2:

Buddy... you're not making a lick of sense. What I'm trying to get through your noggin is that many Christians go to mass, but don't follow the values of that religion in everyday life. Such as the Christian prostitute.
Last edited by Seperates on Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This Debate is simply an exercise in Rhetoric. Truth is a fickle being with no intentions of showing itself today.

"The most important fact about us: that we are greater than the institutions and cultures we build."--Roberto Mangabeira Unger

Greengrow
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Greengrow » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:42 pm

Muravyets wrote:
Greengrow wrote:
Muravyets wrote:
Greengrow wrote:
Muravyets wrote:
Greengrow wrote:

I'm not sure I understand you.

Are you saying that only the predominant Christian faiths are the true Christian faiths? So...like, the Catholics and ...what...the Lutherans or Baptists or that sort of thing?

Does that mean that other, smaller Christian faiths are not truly following the teachings of Jesus Christ and God?

If so, which ones are OK and which ones aren't, and why?

Or are you saying that non-Christian faiths are not true followers of the teachings of Jesus Christ and God?

If so, that would hardly be surprising, would it, since if they were true followers of the teachings of Jesus, they'd be Christian faiths, not non-Christian faiths. So if you're looking to follow Jesus, you shouldn't join those faiths.

But if you're looking for something other than Jesus, then why wouldn't one of those other faiths work for you? Surely, at least some of those faiths must be the true followers of whatever it is they say they follow.

well of course the religions like muslim and shinto dont follow Jesus's teachings cause if thet would it would be another christian faith what i am saying is that some of the newer ones that keep splitting off from the older ones r getting further away from what the Son of God wanted so like ones that are catholic and lutheran and greek othordox and even church of england but ones like quakers and mormans and baptist arent

Quakers and Baptists are not that new. They are not much younger than the CoE. And I find it interesting that you think that Catholicism AND Orthodoxy AND (at least some) Protestantism all are in keeping with what the Christian God wanted, even though those three groups each think the others are getting it horribly wrong on certain vital points.

but they are all closest in the teachings of Jesus Christ see baptists and quakers have split off from these spliters so they must be further away from the orginal and therefore more likely to be wrong.

That does not follow at all. That would be like saying, the more we think about something, the less we figure out about it. Just because an idea is newer, that doesn't mean it is less valid.

the teachings of Jesus Chirst have not changed since he said taught them so when these new faiths keep coming up and changing it around more and more from the orginal they are following less

other ideas and concepts are different.

as for faiths like muslim or ones that dont follow his teachings he shouldnt follow them

I'm confused by too many third-person pronouns. "his teachings" means Jesus' teachings, right? But then who is the "he" in "he shouldn't follow them"? The OP? If so, why shouldn't he follow those other faiths? What if he isn't looking for what Jesus and the Christian God are offering? What if he is looking for something else, spiritually? Shouldn't he follow a god or set of gods that is/are offering what he is looking for?

yes the teachings of Jesus and the he who should follow is the person who asked the question in the first post of this thread is it really that hard to understand?

Yes, because your grammar is very bad. It makes it very difficult to figure out what you are trying to say.

well im sorry for that.

well he can go and join anything else he wants but he would be wrong to believe in them but God will forgive him and if he lives a good life he will get into heaven anyway that is why i said he should go for one of the truer christian faiths cause then he will be following what is right.

If you think he will get into heaven regardless of his religion, as long as he lives a good life, what difference does it make which faith he follows?

well idk but not much but shouldnt he believe in something that is right rather than something which is wrong

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:43 pm

Nordicus wrote:
Muravyets wrote:I told you why I thought you were casting it as a negative -- i.e. something one should not do because one doesn't have to.

So... not doing something means that you believe that thing to be bad rather than just, say, not interesting, or less worthwhile than another alternative?

No. Suggesting that someone would find something not worth doing or not worth the effort to do once they realize they don't have to do it is an inherently negative statement.

I guess that means that people think all the charities they don't give money to are bad. Instead of, you know, just less close to their hearts than the ones they do donate to.

No, it doesn't.

I think religion is pointless. I don't think it is bad (if nothing else, it can build strong communities)... I just don't see what reason there is to believe in any being whose existence we (generally speaking) only know of because of holy texts that were supposedly written by the being we only know of because of the holy texts they wrote. Most of them have no more solid evidence in their favor than Russell's Teapot or the Flying Spaghetti Monster, or little green men from Mars, for that matter. I would sooner believe in Bigfoot than in a deity, as Bigfoot is at least more logically conceivable.

My argument has nothing to do with any inherent good or bad with religion, just with the lack of evidence in favor of them and the sheer implausibility behind them.

(For the record, though, I would rather have people doing good deeds for the sake of doing good deeds, rather than in the hopes of gaining celestial brownie points.)

Uh-huh, sure. I'm not actually challenging your view of religion.

Muravyets wrote:I still don't see why "It's unnecessary" is a reason not to do something, or "It's unlikely" is a reason not to believe something.

Do you go and push a rock uphill everyday? No? Why not? Because it isn't necessary?
Do you believe in Russell's Teapot? No? Why not? Because it's unlikely?

Shocking.

No, because they are not things I choose to do. But I believe in things that I realize are unlikely. Yet, nevertheless, I choose to believe in them, even though I know I don't have to.

Also, fyi, in the myth of Sisyphus, pushing the rock up the hill every day was mandatory. He had to do it, so technically, it was necessary. Just mentioning, in case you want your illustrative rhetorical examples to be on point.
And check out my other RP, too. (Don't take others' word for it -- see for yourself. ;) )

Greengrow
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Greengrow » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:44 pm

Seperates wrote:
Greengrow wrote:
Seperates wrote:
Greengrow wrote:
Seperates wrote:
Greengrow wrote:

And yet... to my knowledge... about 90% of those don't even do that except show up to mass every other Sunday.

faiths is a concept or and ideal they dont show up to mass the people who follow them do

Bullshit. I can't remember how many times I've had a person, who seems to be an outstanding person in the Church, cut me off in the Church parking lot and then speed their way down the street, oblivious to the lives they are putting in danger.

u dont make sense

Hell yes! Christianity is full of a bunch of lip-servicers. I got tired of it because I didn't get the feeling that God was with me. I get that feeling only when I'm with people who are accepting of all creeds and races. I've found that they can be Hindu, Catholic, or Muslim. It doesn't matter. I only really accept those that try to follow their religious values in everyday life. With the exception of bigots and extremists.

ok thats your choice but that didnt follow from what faiths are and how these concepts attend mass

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:48 pm

Greengrow wrote:
Seperates wrote:
Greengrow wrote:
Seperates wrote:
Greengrow wrote:
Seperates wrote:
Greengrow wrote:

u dont make sense

ok thats your choice but that didnt follow from what faiths are and how these concepts attend mass

What are these "faiths" and "concepts" that you keep blabbering on about? It's like your just skimming over what I said and then just spewing out the first stream of gibberish that comes to mind.

EDIT: Nevermind. I've got bigger things to fry... or makeout with... Whatever metaphor suits you. May blessings be upon you. Ciao.
Last edited by Seperates on Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greengrow
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Greengrow » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:50 pm

Seperates wrote:
Greengrow wrote:
Seperates wrote:
Greengrow wrote:
Seperates wrote:
Greengrow wrote:
Seperates wrote:
Greengrow wrote:

u dont make sense

What are these "faiths" and "concepts" that you keep blabbering on about? It's like your just skimming over what I said and then just spewing out the first stream of gibberish that comes to mind.

perhaps u should go back to the first post u quoted me on it seems yo used your post to make a rant against christians even though my post was talking about chrisitian faiths not christians.

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:51 pm

Greengrow wrote:the teachings of Jesus Chirst have not changed since he said taught them so when these new faiths keep coming up and changing it around more and more from the orginal they are following less

But you don't have Jesus himself teaching you his teachings. It all has to go through other people. Even the gospels were written by the apostles writing about Jesus, not by Jesus himself. And even the apostles contradicted each other on some points of Jesus' life and teachings. So since all of Jesus' teachings have passed through the minds and writings of other people to get to Christians today, and even the original source (the Bible) is filtered through many different writers who did not all give exactly the same version, why would you assume this message is unchanging or that newer versions are less correct than older ones? Do you reject the belief that Christians can have direct revelation of the teachings?

well im sorry for that.

You write as if you are texting.

well idk but not much but shouldnt he believe in something that is right rather than something which is wrong

If how he lives his life is what will ultimately decide his fate, then surely what he does is more important than what he professes. If so, then why not let him follow what beliefs make sense to him? If it makes no difference to your god, why should it make a difference to you or anyone else?
Last edited by Muravyets on Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:55 pm

Greengrow wrote:
Seperates wrote:
Greengrow wrote:
Seperates wrote:
Greengrow wrote:
Seperates wrote:
Greengrow wrote:
Seperates wrote:
Greengrow wrote:

u dont make sense

perhaps u should go back to the first post u quoted me on it seems yo used your post to make a rant against christians even though my post was talking about chrisitian faiths not christians.

No... You said that "they are the true ones." Which I called BS on, no religon is true, only the people that follow them well are (which Christians have a low dinomination of... they can't even keep their preists in line). And if you'll look at my edit above... Ciao.
Last edited by Seperates on Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greengrow
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Greengrow » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:02 am

Muravyets wrote:
Greengrow wrote:the teachings of Jesus Chirst have not changed since he said taught them so when these new faiths keep coming up and changing it around more and more from the orginal they are following less

But you don't have Jesus himself teaching you his teachings. It all has to go through other people. Even the gospels were written by the apostles writing about Jesus, not by Jesus himself. And even the apostles contradicted each other on some points of Jesus' life and teachings. So since all of Jesus' teachings have passed through the minds and writings of other people to get to Christians today, and even the original source (the Bible) is filtered through many different writers who did not all give exactly the same version, why would you assume this message is unchanging or that newer versions are less correct than older ones? Do you reject the belief that Christians can have direct revelation of the teachings?

what he said hasnt changed now of course what has gone through the ages has changed which is why these newer ones which are even further from the orginal aare more likely to be wronger than the older ones that have to be closer

what belief is that?

well im sorry for that.

its how i always write

If how he lives his life is what will ultimately decide his fate, then surely what he does is more important than what he professes. If so, then why not let him follow what beliefs make sense to him? If it makes no difference to your god, why should it make a difference to you or anyone else?

well it doesnt but its like how i cant stand people saying something that is wrong like how the japanese started WWII it doesnt matter but they should be right i do think it is up to him but he asked a question and i answered it

Greengrow
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Greengrow » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:06 am

Seperates wrote:
Greengrow wrote:
Seperates wrote:
Greengrow wrote:
Seperates wrote:
Greengrow wrote:
Seperates wrote:
Greengrow wrote:
Seperates wrote:
Greengrow wrote:

u dont make sense

Hell yes! Christianity is full of a bunch of lip-servicers. I got tired of it because I didn't get the feeling that God was with me. I get that feeling only when I'm with people who are accepting of all creeds and races. I've found that they can be Hindu, Catholic, or Muslim. It $doesn't matter. I only really accept those that try to follow their religious values in everyday life. With the exception of bigots and extremists.

No... You said that "they are the true ones." Which I called BS on, no religon is true, only the people that follow them well are (which Christians have a low dinomination of... they can't even keep their preists in line). And if you'll look at my edit above... Ciao.

lol u called bs well after that and now u have seen what i was talking about and see that u misunderstood what i was talking about u r off enjoying making out then frying ur fish

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:08 am

Greengrow wrote:
Muravyets wrote:

what he said hasnt changed now of course what has gone through the ages has changed which is why these newer ones which are even further from the orginal aare more likely to be wronger than the older ones that have to be closer

Like I said, that does not follow. Your logic is faulty.

what belief is that?

The one I described.

its how i always write

Well, if you are going to get into complex subjects and posts of more than one sentence, you might want to re-think that choice because it really is a pain to decipher.

well it doesnt but its like how i cant stand people saying something that is wrong like how the japanese started WWII it doesnt matter but they should be right i do think it is up to him but he asked a question and i answered it

But we can prove what happened in WW2. You can't prove that what other religions say is false, especially when they are talking about things that have nothing to do with what Jesus taught. You can only declare your belief that they are false, but your belief is hardly proof of anything to anyone but you.

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:10 am

Greengrow wrote:
lol u called bs well after that and now u have seen what i was talking about and see that u misunderstood what i was talking about u r off enjoying making out then frying ur fish

See, as an example, THIS ^^ is just unreadable. I tried three times to get through it, and my eyes refused to stay focused on the words. They just turned into a blur, and I skipped over most of it. Please spell out your words and use punctuation, if you want to engage in debate.
Last edited by Muravyets on Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Greengrow
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Greengrow » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:14 am

Muravyets wrote:
Greengrow wrote:
Muravyets wrote:

Like I said, that does not follow. Your logic is faulty.

how doesnt it follow? if Jesus said something then the early church followed this but it changed a bit then it isnt orginal but then u got people leaving and forming their own cause they dont like it and changing it then how can that be closer?

what belief is that?

The one I described.

i dont understand what it is.

its how i always write

Well, if you are going to get into complex subjects and posts of more than one sentence, you might want to re-think that choice because it really is a pain to decipher.

well sometimes i forget to put a full stop at the end of a sentance but can it be that bad?

my teachers sometimes say stuff but dont seem to mind

But we can prove what happened in WW2. You can't prove that what other religions say is false, especially when they are talking about things that have nothing to do with what Jesus taught. You can only declare your belief that they are false, but your belief is hardly proof of anything to anyone but you.
[/quote]

im confused if my belief is true then theirs has to be false if it is different.

Greengrow
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Greengrow » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:17 am

Muravyets wrote:
Greengrow wrote:

See, as an example, THIS ^^ is just unreadable. I tried three times to get through it, and my eyes refused to stay focused on the words. They just turned into a blur, and I skipped over most of it. Please spell out your words and use punctuation, if you want to engage in debate.

k ill try and fix it up.

lol you said it was bullshit and now you have seen what i was talking about but you have misunderstood what my post was about now you are going off so enjoy doing whatever it is you are going to do.

you isnt you muravyets but the person i responded to.

is that better?

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:37 am

Greengrow wrote:
how doesnt it follow? if Jesus said something then the early church followed this but it changed a bit then it isnt orginal but then u got people leaving and forming their own cause they dont like it and changing it then how can that be closer?

I already told you in my earlier two posts how it doesn't follow. I think I should warn you that I don't like to repeat myself. Please read what I've written in posts addressed to you, and respond with either comments or questions, thanks.

what belief is that?

The one I described.

The belief that Christians can have a direct revelation of Jesus' teachings.

well sometimes i forget to put a full stop at the end of a sentance but can it be that bad?

They have probably descended into despair, but I wouldn't expect a passing grade if I were you, because it is that bad. Just try comparing your writing to that of other posters to see how great the difference is.

im confused if my belief is true then theirs has to be false if it is different.

No, it doesn't, because religion is not a zero-sum game.

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:43 am

Greengrow wrote:
Muravyets wrote:
Greengrow wrote:

k ill try and fix it up.

lol you said it was bullshit and now you have seen what i was talking about but you have misunderstood what my post was about now you are going off so enjoy doing whatever it is you are going to do.

is that better?

Try this:

lol You said it was bullshit. and Now you have seen see what I was talking about, but >, before,< you have misunderstood what my post was about. Now you are going off, so enjoy doing whatever it is you are going to do.

I am still not certain that is entirely right, because your tenses are so muddled in the part where you talk about him misunderstanding your post. Exactly when did he misunderstand it and when did he see what you meant? I took a guess and inserted a word to show the time frames, but you could have meant something else.

Greengrow
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Greengrow » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:56 am

Muravyets wrote:
Greengrow wrote:

I already told you in my earlier two posts how it doesn't follow. I think I should warn you that I don't like to repeat myself. Please read what I've written in posts addressed to you, and respond with either comments or questions, thanks.

but i did read and commented on it ill read it again

what belief is that?

The one I described.

The belief that Christians can have a direct revelation of Jesus' teachings.[/QUOTE]

You mean like when they understand it and want to follow it?

They have probably descended into despair, but I wouldn't expect a passing grade if I were you, because it is that bad. Just try comparing your writing to that of other posters to see how great the difference is.[/quote]

well ok, i go well in tests and is why i like maths cause then i can get an A without making sure i all have full stops all over the place.

No, it doesn't, because religion is not a zero-sum game.[/quote]

Are you trying to say that while I may believe in God they could be right if they believe in other gods?

Greengrow
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Greengrow » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:02 am

Muravyets wrote:
Greengrow wrote:
Muravyets wrote:
Greengrow wrote:

k ill try and fix it up.

is that better?

Try this:

lol You said it was bullshit. and Now you have seen see what I was talking about, but >, before,< you have misunderstood what my post was about. Now you are going off, so enjoy doing whatever it is you are going to do.

I am still not certain that is entirely right, because your tenses are so muddled in the part where you talk about him misunderstanding your post. Exactly when did he misunderstand it and when did he see what you meant? I took a guess and inserted a word to show the time frames, but you could have meant something else.

He misunderstood what I wrote from the beginning he thought i was talking about people when i was talking about the faith. i dont know if he did understand what i meant but since he left i thought he might of and knowed that i was talking about the faith not people. Faiths dont go to mass

Greengrow
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Greengrow » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:12 am

Muravyets wrote:

But you don't have Jesus himself teaching you his teachings. It all has to go through other people. Even the gospels were written by the apostles writing about Jesus, not by Jesus himself. And even the apostles contradicted each other on some points of Jesus' life and teachings. So since all of Jesus' teachings have passed through the minds and writings of other people to get to Christians today, and even the original source (the Bible) is filtered through many different writers who did not all give exactly the same version, why would you assume this message is unchanging or that newer versions are less correct than older ones?

i think this might be the one you dont want to repeat.

Now when Jesus spread his message and taught to his discplies they listened. Through the ages some of these changed until they were writed down and the early church had these later some people left cause they didnt like what the church was saying and so decided to change what the teachings meant. How does this not mean that their beliefs are further away from what Jesus meant?

Timhaukia
Envoy

Founded: Feb 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Timhaukia » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:13 am

I don't really believe in God in any traditional sense. I believe that the universe operates on a set of fundamental laws and "God" is the one who wrote said laws. He/She/It is not an omnipotent "Father Figure" in the sky watching everything you do and my "God" (eventhough I'd never use that word to describe my idea of a higher power) doesn't judge. God is more of a force bound by laws.

It could be argued that science is my God but that's oversimplifying the issue.

Nordicus
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nordicus » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:22 am

Muravyets, I'm just going to drop it because there seems to be a large disconnect in our understandings of the argument we're having. I probably just misinterpreted something you said; it certainly wouldn't be the first time I've done that.

Muravyets wrote:Also, fyi, in the myth of Sisyphus, pushing the rock up the hill every day was mandatory. He had to do it, so technically, it was necessary. Just mentioning, in case you want your illustrative rhetorical examples to be on point.

I'm aware of that. I chose it because it is one of the best mythological examples I am aware of for absolute futility, not because it's something he did for fun. :)

Greengrow wrote:

its how i always write

I hope you look forward to failing every single essay you write for school, then, because your teachers will not be able to understand a single thing you are writing about. With the stellar grades you'll have and the amazing résumé you'll no doubt be able to make, I'm sure that you'll have plenty of job opportunities available to you in the janitorial and fast-food fields.

Seriously, it would be greatly in your best interests to improve your command of the English language. Those English classes might be boring, but it's a good idea to pay attention to them, since writing is quite important in life.

Greengrow wrote:well sometimes i forget to put a full stop at the end of a sentance but can it be that bad?

Your problems are far worse than forgetting an occasional period. The following is likely an incomplete list.
  • You use no capitalization at all.
  • You use texting abbreviations (e.g., "u" instead of "you").
  • You typically don't use any punctuation, including, but not limited to: Apostrophes in contractions ("don't"), periods at the end of sentences, and commas to separate thoughts within sentences.
  • You use many, many run-on sentences, where you cram what should be several sentences into a single sentence. It is the writing equivalent of people who just keep talking fast until they run out of breath.
Note: I am an atheist. If I say something supportive of a religion, it's because I try to be fair and even-handed, not because I am a follower of that religion.
H N Fiddlebottoms VIII wrote:Engineers hate biology, because it has very few right angles. Everything is all curves and bumps and the only penis-shaped items are actual penises.

Dregruk wrote:
Kma2 wrote:How else could it be that they are so uneducated regarding what is going on in America.

Same as anyone else; I slaughter gibbons and frolic in their blood. Or just, y'know, disagree with you.

Tsaraine wrote:Somewhere in Philadelphia, one school administrator has just smacked another school administrator upside the head. "Damnit, Jenkins! I told you we should just have gone with chastity belts!"

Biblical Creation

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:13 am

Greengrow wrote:
Muravyets wrote:
Greengrow wrote:

but i did read and commented on it ill read it again

I'll look for your further comments.

The belief that Christians can have a direct revelation of Jesus' teachings.

You mean like when they understand it and want to follow it?

No, I mean like when their god talks to them directly, when they experience visions of Jesus and God, revealing some message and/or insight into the gospels. I mean like the visions and revelations of the later saints and mystics. Do you declare that the saints were not truly following Jesus and God? Do you declare that no one has had a true vision of God's intentions since Martin Luther?

And I still want you to tell me how merely being older than other churches makes the Lutheran idea and the Catholic idea and the Orthodox idea all correct, even though of the three, they each claim the two others are wrong.

well ok, i go well in tests and is why i like maths cause then i can get an A without making sure i all have full stops all over the place.

I see you are making an effort now, and I appreciate that, and I will be glad to cooperate with your continued improvements because your arguments -- although I disagree with them -- are intelligent and reasonably offered. However, please try to get into the habit of using punctuation, or it will be too much work to debate with you in a written format.

Are you trying to say that while I may believe in God they could be right if they believe in other gods?

Yes. You could both be right. Let's make this more concrete -- WE could both be right. (Now watch -- all the hardcore net-atheists will rally round to tell us we're both wrong. ;))

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General