NATION

PASSWORD

Gandhi Was Racist Towards Blacks

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Keronians
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:50 am

Caninope wrote:
Communist Finland wrote:

Gandhi most certainly was not Sexist. He was a liberal, yes. The whole idea of Liberalism is to defend the freedom of all, not matter what skin color, gender or orientation. Give me a name of one racist liberal.

Abraham Lincoln is debatable. Thomas Jefferson. Woodrow Wilson. FDR. You can support freedom for all while believing that some people are inferior to you or your race.

Wait, FDR?
Proud Indian. Spanish citizen. European federalist.
Political compass
Awarded the Bronze Medal for General Debating at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards. Awarded Best New Poster at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards.
It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning.
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade
· Exchange of goods and services
· Free formation of prices

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

This is a capitalist model.

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:51 am

Keronians wrote:
Caninope wrote:Abraham Lincoln is debatable. Thomas Jefferson. Woodrow Wilson. FDR. You can support freedom for all while believing that some people are inferior to you or your race.

Wait, FDR?

Japanese-American Internment. Refusing to invite Jesse Owens to the White House after he invited all the other American Olympic athletes of 1936.
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

Mushet
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Mushet » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:52 am

Caninope wrote:
Communist Finland wrote:

Gandhi most certainly was not Sexist. He was a liberal, yes. The whole idea of Liberalism is to defend the freedom of all, not matter what skin color, gender or orientation. Give me a name of one racist liberal.

Abraham Lincoln is debatable. Thomas Jefferson. Woodrow Wilson. FDR. You can support freedom for all while believing that some people are inferior to you or your race.

Lincoln was racist against blacks and indians, he set the blacks free as a political move and wanted them to leave the country and he really fucked the Santee Sioux and presided during alot of the unjust Indian wars
"what I believe is like a box, and we’re taking the energy of our thinking and putting into a box of beliefs, pretending that we’re thinking...I’ve gone through most of my life not believing anything. Either I know or I don’t know, or I think." - John Trudell

Gun control is, and always has been, a tool of white supremacy.

Puppet: E-City ranked #1 in the world for Highest Drug Use on 5/25/2015
Puppet Sacred Heart Church ranked #2 in the world for Nudest 2/25/2010
OP of a 5 page archived thread The Forum Seven Tit Museum
Previous Official King of Forum 7 (2010-2012/13), relinquished own title
First person to get AQ'd Quote was funnier in 2011, you had to have been there
Celebrating over a decade on Nationstates!

Communist Finland
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Communist Finland » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:53 am

Caninope wrote:
Communist Finland wrote:

These men were not as liberal as Gandhi was in comparison. Oh, and Leftism and Right-liberalism are different things.
Last edited by Communist Finland on Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Keronians
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:55 am

Caninope wrote:
Keronians wrote:
Wait, FDR?

Japanese-American Internment. Refusing to invite Jesse Owens to the White House after he invited all the other American Olympic athletes of 1936.

The Japanese-American internment was due to the war on Japan. Political motives.

Namely; "these people are of Japanese descent... They may fight for Japan".

As for Jesse Owens, that was most likely due to the fact that the southern Democrats were racists, and he didn't want to upset them.

One of the main reasons he didn't do much about lynching.
Political compass
Awarded the Bronze Medal for General Debating at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards. Awarded Best New Poster at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards.
It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning.
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:56 am

Mushet wrote:
Caninope wrote:Abraham Lincoln is debatable. Thomas Jefferson. Woodrow Wilson. FDR. You can support freedom for all while believing that some people are inferior to you or your race.

Lincoln was racist against blacks and indians, he set the blacks free as a political move and wanted them to leave the country and he really fucked the Santee Sioux and presided during alot of the unjust Indian wars

It's generally believed that Lincoln was racist earlier on, but there's debate on whether he was still racist by the end of the war. He did advocate equal voting rights.
I'm the Pope

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:59 am

Keronians wrote:
Caninope wrote:Japanese-American Internment. Refusing to invite Jesse Owens to the White House after he invited all the other American Olympic athletes of 1936.

The Japanese-American internment was due to the war on Japan. Political motives.

As for Jesse Owens, that was most likely due to the fact that the southern Democrats were racists, and he didn't want to upset them.

It was a political move that he wouldn't have done if he wasn't racist. He didn't intern German-Americans or Italian-Americans.

And he didn't care much about the Southern racists. His cousin, Teddy, had Booker T. Washington invited to dinner. While TR never invited Booker T. back again, FDR would have been able to invite Jesse Owens over, as he was part of the Olympics team.
I'm the Pope

Frisivisia wrote:

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:00 pm

Communist Finland wrote:

These men were not as liberal as Gandhi was in comparison. Oh, and Leftism and Right-liberalism are different things.

Liberalism is a form of leftism.
I'm the Pope

Frisivisia wrote:

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:01 pm

And this is news... how? When? Really people? I thought this was common knowledge...

Gandhi was a bit of a dick. That doesn't automatically make the principle he represents wrong.
Last edited by Nationstatelandsville on Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Then I was fertilized and grew wise;
From a word to a word I was led to a word,
From a work to a work I was led to a work."
- Odin, Hávamál 138-141, the Poetic Edda, as translated by Dan McCoy.

I enjoy meta-humor and self-deprecation. Annoying, right?

Goodbye.

Communist Finland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Communist Finland » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:01 pm

Caninope wrote:
Mushet wrote:Lincoln was racist against blacks and indians, he set the blacks free as a political move and wanted them to leave the country and he really fucked the Santee Sioux and presided during alot of the unjust Indian wars

It's generally believed that Lincoln was racist earlier on, but there's debate on whether he was still racist by the end of the war. He did advocate equal voting rights.

I believe I saw some writings (Can't remember when...) from Lincoln, where he said his views changed a lot during the war. He also spoke much more about racial equality after the war than before the war.

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:03 pm

Communist Finland wrote:
Caninope wrote:It's generally believed that Lincoln was racist earlier on, but there's debate on whether he was still racist by the end of the war. He did advocate equal voting rights.

I believe I saw some writings (Can't remember when...) from Lincoln, where he said his views changed a lot during the war. He also spoke much more about racial equality after the war than before the war.

Yep. He wanted to deport slaves back to Africa, but as time went on, that kind of went away. He was probably still a bit old-timey compared to us, but he was a good man nonetheless. And the same can be said for Gandhi.
"Then I was fertilized and grew wise;
From a word to a word I was led to a word,
From a work to a work I was led to a work."
- Odin, Hávamál 138-141, the Poetic Edda, as translated by Dan McCoy.

I enjoy meta-humor and self-deprecation. Annoying, right?

Goodbye.

Keronians
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:03 pm

Caninope wrote:
Keronians wrote:

It was a political move that he wouldn't have done if he wasn't racist. He didn't intern German-Americans or Italian-Americans.

And he didn't care much about the Southern racists. His cousin, Teddy, had Booker T. Washington invited to dinner. While TR never invited Booker T. back again, FDR would have been able to invite Jesse Owens over, as he was part of the Olympics team.

No, he didn't, because the propaganda against the Japanese was much stronger than the propaganda against the Germans and Italians.

And there were way too many German-Americans to intern.

Of course he cared about the Southern racists. If he lost their support, then his hold on his party would be weakened greatly. Eleanor Roosevelt even said that he was unable to do anything about lynching due to the southern Democrats.
Political compass
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:03 pm

Communist Finland wrote:
Caninope wrote:It's generally believed that Lincoln was racist earlier on, but there's debate on whether he was still racist by the end of the war. He did advocate equal voting rights.

Lincoln didn't see the end of the war. The last shot was fired on June 22nd. He died on April 14th. If we take April 9th to be the end of the war, he didn't have much time to speak about racial equality. So excuse me if I take your claim as false.
I'm the Pope

Frisivisia wrote:

Mushet
Post Marshal

Postby Mushet » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:04 pm

Caninope wrote:
Mushet wrote:Lincoln was racist against blacks and indians, he set the blacks free as a political move and wanted them to leave the country and he really fucked the Santee Sioux and presided during alot of the unjust Indian wars

What about the Indians?
"what I believe is like a box, and we’re taking the energy of our thinking and putting into a box of beliefs, pretending that we’re thinking...I’ve gone through most of my life not believing anything. Either I know or I don’t know, or I think." - John Trudell

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:05 pm

Keronians wrote:No, he didn't, because the propaganda against the Japanese was much stronger than the propaganda against the Germans and Italians.

I wonder who had control over propaganda?

Yes, but it would have been easy enough to intern recent immigrants.

Of course he cared about the Southern racists. If he lost their support, then his hold on his party would be weakened greatly. Eleanor Roosevelt even said that he was unable to do anything about lynching due to the southern Democrats.

Eleanor was the one pushed him to do something about lynching.
I'm the Pope

Frisivisia wrote:

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:06 pm

Mushet wrote:

What about the Indians?

It's hard to say anything about Indians, at least for me. I haven't seen much from him on Indians, and the Indian Wars were impossible to stop. By that time, there were 250 years of inertia to stop.
I'm the Pope

Frisivisia wrote:

Communist Finland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Communist Finland » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:06 pm

Caninope wrote:
Communist Finland wrote:I believe I saw some writings (Can't remember when...) from Lincoln, where he said his views changed a lot during the war. He also spoke much more about racial equality after the war than before the war.

Lincoln didn't see the end of the war. The last shot was fired on June 22nd. He died on April 14th. If we take April 9th to be the end of the war, he didn't have much time to speak about racial equality. So excuse me if I take your claim as false.

Well, you can blame google for my false claim. Fuck troll articles D:< I'll re-search this and reactivate my brain cells.

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:07 pm

Communist Finland wrote:
Caninope wrote:...

Well, you can blame google for my false claim. Fuck troll articles D:< I'll re-search this and reactivate my brain cells.

If you're non-American, I'll forgive you. If you're American, then shame on you for not knowing the beginning of Johnson's term. :p
I'm the Pope

Frisivisia wrote:

Mushet
Post Marshal

Postby Mushet » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:08 pm

Caninope wrote:
Mushet wrote:What about the Indians?

It's hard to say anything about Indians, at least for me. I haven't seen much from him on Indians, and the Indian Wars were impossible to stop. By that time, there were 250 years of inertia to stop.

You're gonna say this is a biased source but it's the best source I could find

http://www.unitednativeamerica.com/issues/lincoln.html

Communist Finland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Communist Finland » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:11 pm

Caninope wrote:
Communist Finland wrote:

If you're non-American, I'll forgive you. If you're American, then shame on you for not knowing the beginning of Johnson's term. :p

Well, I'm Finnish... Oh, and I re-searched it! He lived almost 10 days after the civil-war ended.

Rastynhaven
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Rastynhaven » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:12 pm

So what else is new?
I'm Female.
19 Years Old, Chinese American, Devout Buddhist, Biochemistry Student

PRO: Nordic Model, Secular Government, LGBTQ+ Rights, Gender Equality & Feminism, Environmental Conservation, Renewable Energy, GMOs, Vastly increased funding for scientific research in academia, Buddhist Nuns everywhere, FOR THE HORDE!

ANTI: Donald Trump, Social conservatism, Christian and Islamic fundamentalism, Anti-Choicers, Homophobia, Transphobia, Biphobia, Anti-intellectualism, Young Earth Creationists, "Alternative Medicine", the Qing Dynasty, Chipotle.

Khodoristan
Minister

Founded: Jul 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Khodoristan » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:14 pm

Coolio. No care ever. Vanflip times 1000.
Economic Left/Right: -3.88, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.69 (centrist)
DERECON: 1 2 3 4 5

REST IN PEACE UNDERØATH 11/30/97-1/26/13
Pro: NATO, SEATO, ANZUS, EU, ROC, ROK, Japan, Israel, Russia, Turkey, India, gay rights, fiscal and social liberalism, Christianity, Judaism
Against: Iran, Pakistan, China, DPRK, Venezuela, racism, sexism, abortion, Islam, conservatism, military aggression

I'm a nihilistic Catholic. Yes, we do exist.

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:17 pm

Communist Finland wrote:
Caninope wrote:If you're non-American, I'll forgive you. If you're American, then shame on you for not knowing the beginning of Johnson's term. :p

Well, I'm Finnish... Oh, and I re-searched it! He lived almost 10 days after the civil-war ended.

The Civil War didn't end on April 9th. Not completely. Lincoln was shot on the 14th (not killed, shot, as he died in the wee hours of the 15th, actually). In that time, from what I understand, he gave 1 speech on racial equality (of sorts). It wasn't actually on the races being equal, but rather on enfranchisement of blacks. Not quite the same thing, as I can believe someone to be legally equal to me, but inferior. The same goes with races/religions. So he didn't "spoke [sic] much more about racial equality after the war than before the war".
I'm the Pope

Frisivisia wrote:

Communist Finland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Communist Finland » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:19 pm

Caninope wrote:
Communist Finland wrote:

The Civil War didn't end on April 9th. Not completely. Lincoln was shot on the 14th (not killed, shot, as he died in the wee hours of the 15th, actually). In that time, from what I understand, he gave 1 speech on racial equality (of sorts). It wasn't actually on the races being equal, but rather on enfranchisement of blacks. Not quite the same thing, as I can believe someone to be legally equal to me, but inferior. The same goes with races/religions. So he didn't "spoke [sic] much more about racial equality after the war than before the war".

Well, that's what all the links say, yes. I'm more fond to the debates on USSR and other North-European nations :I

Keronians
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:23 pm

Caninope wrote:
Keronians wrote:No, he didn't, because the propaganda against the Japanese was much stronger than the propaganda against the Germans and Italians.

I wonder who had control over propaganda?

Yes, but it would have been easy enough to intern recent immigrants.

Eleanor was the one pushed him to do something about lynching.

1) The government. However, public opinion in America against Japan was also much stronger than opinion against Germany. Mainly because the war followed a decade of deteriorating American and Japanese relations, whereas the war between Britain and Germany was, for the American public, unexpected.

2) And the logic for not interning the others?

3) And he didn't (and she understood) because of the southern Democrats.
Political compass
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

PreviousNext

Advertisement