NATION

PASSWORD

Do U Believe in Aliens?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:42 pm

Galla- wrote:
Norstal wrote:You can feel numbers. Math is a universal language that requires you to shape and mold objects. As for the color, you're right, they probably don't see colors. Maybe they do it in black and white. We wouldn't know.

A blind person is able to see the trajectory of an object entering the atmosphere, regardless if they are blind or not. They are able to explain extraterrestrial phenomenons without resorting to "aliens did it." They're blind, not stupid.

I never made the claim that nutters who see UFOs and say "aliens" are true.

I merely said that the existence of extraterrestrial life, in the form of single celled organisms, is an almost absolute certainty.

So you're drawing conclusions from nothing. Nice. Habitable planet != alien civilization must exist.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Jordsindia
Minister

Founded: Apr 10, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Jordsindia » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:44 pm

Euronion wrote:of course there are aliens, its mathamatics use Drakes equation.
The Drake equation states that:

http://www.activemind.com/Mysterious/Topics/SETI/drake_equation.html

So since only a fraction of NSGers will actually click on the link I'll have to explain it in brief
there are 100 Billion Stars in the Milky Way
thats 100,000,000,000
now according to available data, there are 20% to 50% of Stars with planets around them, for now we'll use 20%
thats 20,000,000,000 or 20 Billion
now then how many of those planets are capable of sustaining life the current evidance points to between 1 to 5
thats around 20,000,000,000 or 20 Billion using the lowest evidence
now we come to how many lifeforms will evolve, the answer is either 100% or 0% because anything that can evolve will, and the only thing that can't evolve is non-lifeforms
so again 20 Billion
then how many of those life forms that evolve will be inteligent, this can range from 100% to 0% if life is intelligent than it has a survival edge, for now I am going to go with .5%, I am a skeptic myslef
so thats 1 Billion or 1,000,000,000
then which intelligent life has the means or desire to communicate this ranges from 10% to 20%, I am going to use 10%
so thats 100,000,000 or 100 million
then the last part is a little more complicated, how long does the species have to develope before its planet dies, so in this equation I am giving the civilization 1 million years to develope
after sorting through all these parameters based on accurate information, this equation shows that 1000 intelligent communicating species exist in this galaxy alone, you can run all sorts of scenarios, I also ran an alternative equation for you optimists out there and I will not exlain it step by step becasue that would take too long, but assuming everything is optimistic using Drakes equation, there could be 400 million intelligent communicating species in our galaxy alone, the point is, there are millions if not billions of galaxies all with Billions of stars, if you look at it mathematically it makes sense, if you are still a skeptic and think we are even the only species that is in our galaxy, then that would mean that there could still be billions of intelligent species out there, to answer the original question

Yes, I most certainly do believe there is life,
thousands of species cannot be good or bad, so the answer would be sometimes
I don't think they are visiting Earth, though they may have in the past, there are some unexplainable phenomenas that has happened in the history of humanity, it is most certainly possible
there are most definately more than one species, that is unless one species that was super advanced invented hyper faster than light technology and conquered all the other alien races in the galaxy and are preparing an invasion fo Earth as we type, but that is highly unlikely, or is it? :eyebrow:

Your research is interesting :)
Represent

American and Proud!

10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 5% pleasure, 50% pain, and 100% reason to remember the name!

-∮ The Crumpet Cult ∮-

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:55 pm

Yes, aliens do exist. Universe is vast, and our ball of rock is not even equivalent to a grain of sand in the universe. There will be a lot more life out there. However, they certainly are not visiting earth - if they haven't got FTL/ wormhole generator: they are as stuck with their ball of rock as we are; if they have got FTL/wormhole generator: they would be too goddamn advanced to care about us - ie. for same reason why you dont fly from Saudi to California just to poke a stick in colony of ants.
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Galla-
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Galla- » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:56 pm

Norstal wrote:
Galla- wrote:
I never made the claim that nutters who see UFOs and say "aliens" are true.

I merely said that the existence of extraterrestrial life, in the form of single celled organisms, is an almost absolute certainty.

So you're drawing conclusions from nothing. Nice. Habitable planet != alien civilization must exist.

Cool cool.

You're putting words in my mouth.

Or are you just incapable of reading?

A microbe isn't going to have a civilisation. It is still life.
Hello humans. I am Sporekin, specifically a European Umber-Brown Puffball (or more formally, Lycoperdon umbrinum). Ask me anything.
Fashiontopia wrote:Look don't come here talking bad about Americans, that will get you cussed out faster than relativity.

Besides: Most posters in this thread are Americans, and others who are non-Americans have no problems co-existing so shut that trap...

New Nicksyllvania - Unjustly Deleted 6/14/11

Legionica
Ambassador

Founded: May 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Legionica » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:57 pm

Great Nepal wrote:Yes, aliens do exist. Universe is vast, and our ball of rock is not even equivalent to a grain of sand in the universe. There will be a lot more life out there. However, they certainly are not visiting earth - if they haven't got FTL/ wormhole generator: they are as stuck with their ball of rock as we are; if they have got FTL/wormhole generator: they would be too goddamn advanced to care about us - ie. for same reason why you dont fly from Saudi to California just to poke a stick in colony of ants.

Great analogy, pretty much sums it up. Replace ants with nuclear, explosive, red, bomber ants.

The Grand World Order
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 03, 2007
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand World Order » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:00 pm

Do I believe in aliens? Of course.

Do I think they've ever even come close to the Solar System? Not at all.
United States Marine Corps Non-Commissioned Officer turned Private Military Contractor
Basque American
NS's only post-apoc, neo-western, cassette-punk, conspiracy-laden, pseudo-mystic Fascist UN-clone utopia
Peace sells, but who's buying? | Right is the new punk
A Better Class of Fascist
Got Discord? Add me at griff1337
Economic Left/Right: 4.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 8.13
Amerikians: That sir, is one Epic Tank.
Altamirus: Behold the fascist God of War.
Aelosia: Shiiiiit, you are hot. More pics, I demand.

Jenrak
Retired Moderator

Founded: Oct 06, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Jenrak » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:00 pm

Jordsindia wrote:So, i was watching this Phil Sneider guy, maybe you've heard of him, and he talks about how he once worked for the government with top secret programs about aliens.

Goddamn government secret programs.

Jordsindia wrote:So i decided to see if you guys believe in aliens.

Yer goddamn right I do.

Jordsindia wrote:So, do you?

Goddamn it I goddamn do.

Jordsindia wrote:If so, do you think they are friendly?

Yer goddamn right I don't.

Jordsindia wrote:If so, do you think they are visiting earth?

Goddamn probes all up in this bitch.

Jordsindia wrote:Are they hostile?

Goddamn tripods everywhere, and I'm not talk about the crappy site host from 1999.

Jordsindia wrote:Are their more than one species?

Better be or we're goddamn fucked.

Jordsindia wrote:Just tell us, do you BELIEVE!

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favourite thread on the Citadel.

Sorry, I'm tired as shit.

Galla-
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Galla- » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:02 pm

Jenrak wrote:
Jordsindia wrote:So, i was watching this Phil Sneider guy, maybe you've heard of him, and he talks about how he once worked for the government with top secret programs about aliens.

Goddamn government secret programs.

Jordsindia wrote:So i decided to see if you guys believe in aliens.

Yer goddamn right I do.

Goddamn it I goddamn do.

Jordsindia wrote:If so, do you think they are friendly?

Yer goddamn right I don't.

Jordsindia wrote:If so, do you think they are visiting earth?

Goddamn probes all up in this bitch.

Jordsindia wrote:Are they hostile?

Goddamn tripods everywhere, and I'm not talk about the crappy site host from 1999.

Jordsindia wrote:Are their more than one species?

Better be or we're goddamn fucked.

Jordsindia wrote:Just tell us, do you BELIEVE!

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favourite thread on the Citadel.

Sorry, I'm tired as shit.

i love you
Hello humans. I am Sporekin, specifically a European Umber-Brown Puffball (or more formally, Lycoperdon umbrinum). Ask me anything.
Fashiontopia wrote:Look don't come here talking bad about Americans, that will get you cussed out faster than relativity.

Besides: Most posters in this thread are Americans, and others who are non-Americans have no problems co-existing so shut that trap...

Legionica
Ambassador

Founded: May 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Legionica » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:03 pm

The Commander Shepard thing was something I planned to sneak in here, but you beat me to it. Contrary to prior beleifs, I can have a favorite mod. And that is you.

Jagalonia
Senator

Founded: Jun 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Jagalonia » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:05 pm

Meh, there has to be some other lifeform out there, somewhere. But who's to say that they're more advanced than us? By that logic, even if they could, why would they even consider coming to earth? It's a rock with little real value...
Tokyoni wrote:Hitler's mustache looks weird. Adam Smith was a drunken fatass. There, I've just pwned fascism and capitalism by such "logic".
Edlichbury wrote:OOC: If Knootoss can claim alcohol is a biological weapon, I can claim sentient Milk-People.
Senestrum wrote:Russians took the maximum allowable missile performances from the ABM treaty as design goals.
lolz ensued
Ifreann wrote:
Computer Land wrote:I don't want someone hacking my fridge :meh:

fridge.setTempC(100);
sysout("I'm melting! I'm meeeeelting! Oh what a world, what world!");
I'm Amish...Problem?
Unsigable. >.>
I am a Magnificent Titan who likes to Devour Heroes
All tech.

Aethrys
Minister

Founded: Apr 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Aethrys » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:08 pm

It's only a matter of time until we find the charon relay and begin developing extra solar colonies. Then a passing Turian patrol will find the Shan Xi colony, and well... you know the rest.
"Concentration of power in a political machine is bad; and an Established Church is only a political machine; it was invented for that; it is nursed, cradled, preserved for that; it is an enemy to human liberty, and does no good which it could not better do in a split-up and scattered condition." - Mark Twain

Euronion
Senator

Founded: Apr 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Euronion » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:09 pm

Jagalonia wrote:Meh, there has to be some other lifeform out there, somewhere. But who's to say that they're more advanced than us? By that logic, even if they could, why would they even consider coming to earth? It's a rock with little real value...

perhaps they are curious as to other species and we are the closest
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!
The Official Euronion Website
Proud Catholic and Member of the Tea Party; militant atheists, environmental extremists, fem-nazis, Anti-Lifers, Nazists, and Communists you have been warned
Thomas Paine wrote:"to argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead"
The name of our country is Euronion, the name of anything that is Euronion is called the/a Euronion ____, please do not say "the Euronionian, or the Euronionion people or military, it is simply the Euronion people, the Euronion military, ect. nor is Euronion a reference to the European Union or some United Europe.

Euronion
Senator

Founded: Apr 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Euronion » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:09 pm

Jordsindia wrote:
Euronion wrote:of course there are aliens, its mathamatics use Drakes equation.
The Drake equation states that:

http://www.activemind.com/Mysterious/Topics/SETI/drake_equation.html

So since only a fraction of NSGers will actually click on the link I'll have to explain it in brief
there are 100 Billion Stars in the Milky Way
thats 100,000,000,000
now according to available data, there are 20% to 50% of Stars with planets around them, for now we'll use 20%
thats 20,000,000,000 or 20 Billion
now then how many of those planets are capable of sustaining life the current evidance points to between 1 to 5
thats around 20,000,000,000 or 20 Billion using the lowest evidence
now we come to how many lifeforms will evolve, the answer is either 100% or 0% because anything that can evolve will, and the only thing that can't evolve is non-lifeforms
so again 20 Billion
then how many of those life forms that evolve will be inteligent, this can range from 100% to 0% if life is intelligent than it has a survival edge, for now I am going to go with .5%, I am a skeptic myslef
so thats 1 Billion or 1,000,000,000
then which intelligent life has the means or desire to communicate this ranges from 10% to 20%, I am going to use 10%
so thats 100,000,000 or 100 million
then the last part is a little more complicated, how long does the species have to develope before its planet dies, so in this equation I am giving the civilization 1 million years to develope
after sorting through all these parameters based on accurate information, this equation shows that 1000 intelligent communicating species exist in this galaxy alone, you can run all sorts of scenarios, I also ran an alternative equation for you optimists out there and I will not exlain it step by step becasue that would take too long, but assuming everything is optimistic using Drakes equation, there could be 400 million intelligent communicating species in our galaxy alone, the point is, there are millions if not billions of galaxies all with Billions of stars, if you look at it mathematically it makes sense, if you are still a skeptic and think we are even the only species that is in our galaxy, then that would mean that there could still be billions of intelligent species out there, to answer the original question

Yes, I most certainly do believe there is life,
thousands of species cannot be good or bad, so the answer would be sometimes
I don't think they are visiting Earth, though they may have in the past, there are some unexplainable phenomenas that has happened in the history of humanity, it is most certainly possible
there are most definately more than one species, that is unless one species that was super advanced invented hyper faster than light technology and conquered all the other alien races in the galaxy and are preparing an invasion fo Earth as we type, but that is highly unlikely, or is it? :eyebrow:

Your research is interesting :)

thanks, took a while to type though
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!
The Official Euronion Website
Proud Catholic and Member of the Tea Party; militant atheists, environmental extremists, fem-nazis, Anti-Lifers, Nazists, and Communists you have been warned
Thomas Paine wrote:"to argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead"
The name of our country is Euronion, the name of anything that is Euronion is called the/a Euronion ____, please do not say "the Euronionian, or the Euronionion people or military, it is simply the Euronion people, the Euronion military, ect. nor is Euronion a reference to the European Union or some United Europe.

Intangelon
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 09, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Intangelon » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:10 pm

Galla- wrote:
Intangelon wrote:No. Why? Because they don't exist. Next?

Prove that extraterrestrial life doesn't exist.

I'm including single-celled organisms.

The burden of proof is on the psychotics who think it exists. Sorry, but that's your problem. I'm including single-celled organisms. Any proof you like, so long as it's real.
+11,569 posts from Jolt/OMAC
Oh beautiful for pilgrim feet / Whose stern, impassioned stress / A thoroughfare for freedom beat / Across the wilderness!
America! America! / God mend thine ev’ry flaw; / Confirm thy soul in self-control / Thy liberty in law....

Lunatic Goofballs: The problem is that the invisible men in the sky don't tell you how to live your life.
Their fan clubs do.

Intangelon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Intangelon » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:12 pm

Legionica wrote:NASA found bacterial life on MArs, didn't they?

They found what they THINK are bacterial fossils. That's not life, that's paleontology, and utterly irrelevant since bacteria probably can't pilot starships.
Oh beautiful for pilgrim feet / Whose stern, impassioned stress / A thoroughfare for freedom beat / Across the wilderness!
America! America! / God mend thine ev’ry flaw; / Confirm thy soul in self-control / Thy liberty in law....

Lunatic Goofballs: The problem is that the invisible men in the sky don't tell you how to live your life.
Their fan clubs do.

Galla-
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Galla- » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:13 pm

Intangelon wrote:
Galla- wrote:
Prove that extraterrestrial life doesn't exist.

I'm including single-celled organisms.

The burden of proof is on the psychotics who think it exists. Sorry, but that's your problem. I'm including single-celled organisms. Any proof you like, so long as it's real.

Nice flamebait.

Do you always try to "debate" with such crass and vulgar insults, or is that just some subconscious thing that NSG'ers do?

Intangelon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Intangelon » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:13 pm

Great Nepal wrote:Yes, aliens do exist. Universe is vast, and our ball of rock is not even equivalent to a grain of sand in the universe. There will be a lot more life out there. However, they certainly are not visiting earth - if they haven't got FTL/ wormhole generator: they are as stuck with their ball of rock as we are; if they have got FTL/wormhole generator: they would be too goddamn advanced to care about us - ie. for same reason why you dont fly from Saudi to California just to poke a stick in colony of ants.

That doesn't mean they exist. That means it's kinda probable that they might exist. Difference.

Saying "they must be there, look at the odds" does not equal "they're here".

Their fan clubs do.

Aethrys
Minister

Founded: Apr 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Aethrys » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:15 pm

Intangelon wrote:
Legionica wrote:NASA found bacterial life on MArs, didn't they?

They found what they THINK are bacterial fossils. That's not life, that's paleontology, and utterly irrelevant since bacteria probably can't pilot starships.

...What?

Finding fossilized bacteria on Mars is evidence that alien life existed at one point, and is an indicator that it likely does elsewhere.

And, despite lacking starship piloting abilities, bacteria is still life.
Last edited by Aethrys on Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Concentration of power in a political machine is bad; and an Established Church is only a political machine; it was invented for that; it is nursed, cradled, preserved for that; it is an enemy to human liberty, and does no good which it could not better do in a split-up and scattered condition." - Mark Twain

Galla-
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Galla- » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:16 pm

Aethrys wrote:
Intangelon wrote:They found what they THINK are bacterial fossils. That's not life, that's paleontology, and utterly irrelevant since bacteria probably can't pilot starships.

...What?

Finding fossilized bacteria on Mars is evidence that alien life existed at one point, and is an indicator that it likely does elsewhere.

Actually, what they think they found are microfissures in the rock and mineral composition, iirc.

Intangelon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Intangelon » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:17 pm

Galla- wrote:
Intangelon wrote:The burden of proof is on the psychotics who think it exists. Sorry, but that's your problem. I'm including single-celled organisms. Any proof you like, so long as it's real.

Nice flamebait.

Do you always try to "debate" with such crass and vulgar insults, or is that just some subconscious thing that NSG'ers do?

It is a sign of mental instability to invest fantasy with pseudoscience in order to give it some kind of legitimate-sounding realism. They don't exist, there's no proof: UFO buffs are not that much different than God buffs.

Their fan clubs do.

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:17 pm

Galla- wrote:
Norstal wrote:So you're drawing conclusions from nothing. Nice. Habitable planet != alien civilization must exist.

Cool cool.

You're putting words in my mouth.

Or are you just incapable of reading?

A microbe isn't going to have a civilisation. It is still life.

Same thing. You can't conclude that either. You can hypothesize, but not conclude.
Last edited by Norstal on Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Hathradic States
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Hathradic States » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:17 pm

If so, do you think they are friendly?
If so, do you think they are visiting earth?
Are they hostile?
Are their more than one species?

Yes.
No.
No.
Yes.
Yes.

Liberals: Honestly I was wrong bout em.
I swear I'm not as terrible as you remember.
Sadly Proven Right in 2016
Final text here.

Scientific socks
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Scientific socks » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:18 pm

The current known ratio between stars and plannets that contain life is 1:1
There are meant to be billions or stars
So is there a chance that aliens exist? I would have to say yes.

Is there a chance that crackpots, mentally unstable, gulliable or attention seeking individuals have made up stories about seeing aliens? Yes, thats even more likely!
One persons freedom is always at the expense of another. There are these dam laws in this country of mine preventing me from saying "hi" to my neighbour with a baseball bat. All I want to do is have my freedom of expression so he looses his freedom of movement.

Zirconim
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Zirconim » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:18 pm

I don't really care, at this point, but I honestly don't think we can be alone in the Universe. But I don't think we have, or maybe will, make contact with them.
Embassies In: Cosumar
Israslovakahzerbajan
Lemonius
Tech: PMT/FT
Economic: -3.00
Socially: -5.64

"There's a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious—makes you so sick at heart—that you can't take part. You can't even passively take part. And you've got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus, and you've got to make it stop. And you've got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you're free, the machine will be prevented from working at all." -Mario Savio
Featured Album(s):
Sukekiyo-Immortalis
Featured Song(s):
David Bowie-Blackstar

Zirconim
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Zirconim » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:19 pm

Hathradic States wrote:
If so, do you think they are friendly?
If so, do you think they are visiting earth?
Are they hostile?
Are their more than one species?

Yes.
No.
No.
Yes.
Yes.

So, basically this.
Embassies In: Cosumar
Israslovakahzerbajan
Lemonius
Tech: PMT/FT
Economic: -3.00
Socially: -5.64

"There's a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious—makes you so sick at heart—that you can't take part. You can't even passively take part. And you've got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus, and you've got to make it stop. And you've got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you're free, the machine will be prevented from working at all." -Mario Savio
Featured Album(s):
Sukekiyo-Immortalis
Featured Song(s):
David Bowie-Blackstar

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General