NATION

PASSWORD

Grid power discussion (solar, wind, nuclear, etc.)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Which power generation method do you prefer?

Coal
2%
Natural gas
2%
Nuclear (uranium fission/thorium fission/fusion)
46%
Wind
7%
Solar
16%
Hydro
9%
Geothermal
6%
Oil
1%
Other
3%
David Hasselhoff
8%

Total votes : 123

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:52 am

Satuga wrote:
Grenartia wrote:
No. We'd still be better off if we'd fully nuclearized with uranium. We'd still be better off if we only fully nuclearize with uranium.

I'm not too sure about that, not only because uranium fission would end up being obsolete in comparison with thorium, with it costing even more to either upkeep the nuclear plants or to replace them with thorium designs. But also Uranium is much more dangerous in both the terms of potential failure as well as the potential to create nuclear bombs. Any amount of increase in uranium power to create nuclear rockets is a bad thing. It's even worse if we tried to normalize it in places where terrorism lies, we most certainly don't want uranium power plants within the influence of terrorists.

Uranium plants could be later converted to Thorium at a much lower cost than an all new construction.
Sure they should be implemented in stable places who already have them but they solves most the problems. The EU, US and PRC are the biggest polluters and we already have nuke plants and nuclear weapons.

At least implement uranium power in those three until Thorium is up and running.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Crockerland
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Crockerland » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:06 am

Satuga wrote:But also Uranium is much more dangerous in both the terms of potential failure as well as the potential to create nuclear bombs.

Not really.
Satuga wrote:Any amount of increase in uranium power to create nuclear rockets is a bad thing. It's even worse if we tried to normalize it in places where terrorism lies, we most certainly don't want uranium power plants within the influence of terrorists.

Or Thorium power plants either, since, they make Uranium that can be used in bombs.

https://whatisnuclear.com/thorium-myths.html#myth3
Nuclear reactors, by their nature, split atoms in a chain reaction to release energy slowly, safely, and under control. If a nefarious operator controls such a system, they can use various means to extract the fissile nuclear fuel atoms and concentrate them into a weapon. Thus, all reactors require safeguards and inspections from the UN nuclear watchdog, the IAEA. This includes Thorium reactors.

Thorium reactors work by breeding Th-232 through Protactinium-233 (27.4 day half life) and into Uranium-233, which is fissile. Pa-233 is a pretty strong neutron absorber, so the MSBR (basically the LFTR) has to extract it from the core once it is produced and let it decay to U-233 away from the neutrons. Once the U-233 is created, it gets fed back into the reactor. Well, if you went rogue, you could build up a little excess reactivity (maybe add some low-enriched U-235?) and then divert the freshly-bred U-233 into a weapons stream to make U-233 nuclear bombs. It may be difficult to do this several times without going subcritical, but it certainly could be done. A U-233-filled bomb has been tested before, and it worked just fine.

And even if that wasn't the case, I really don't want terrorists to have access to any large amount of radioactive material, they could just make a dirty bomb. Keeping such materials out of the hands of terrorists is a priority, whether fissile or not. Even if Thorium couldn't be used specifically to make atomic bombs, that wouldn't make its proliferation to terrorists and rogue states a non-issue.

Though, again, moot point since Thorium powerplants can be used to make bombs.
Last edited by Crockerland on Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Free Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Tibet.
Gay not Queer / Why Abortion is Genocide / End Gay Erasure
PROUD SUPPORTER OF:
National Liberalism, Nuclear & Geothermal Power, GMOs, Vaccines, Biodiesel, LGBTIA equality, Universal Healthcare, Universal Basic Income, Constitutional Carry, Emotional Support Twinks, Right to Life

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:01 am

Crockerland wrote:
Antityranicals wrote:For grid power, coal all the way, baby. It's cheap, it's plentiful, and it's easy to store. Petroleum's a close second, but its best use is in plane and car engines. Running a grid on wind and solar is quite simply a joke,

Coal is widely agreed to be among the worst ways to get power. There are much better forms of electricity generation available, whether you prefer fossil fuels (Natural Gas), alternative energy (Nuclear), or "Green" power (Hydroelectric), coal is not going to come out on top.

Also, Petroleum as a close second for the best grid electricity source? Really? What's in third place? Whale oil?

*in my best 19th century british accent* I say my dear chap. This atom smashing business sounds rather ghastly. Well I’m off to oppress my child workforce. Pip pip
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:16 pm

Crockerland wrote:
Satuga wrote:But also Uranium is much more dangerous in both the terms of potential failure as well as the potential to create nuclear bombs.

Not really.
Satuga wrote:Any amount of increase in uranium power to create nuclear rockets is a bad thing. It's even worse if we tried to normalize it in places where terrorism lies, we most certainly don't want uranium power plants within the influence of terrorists.

Or Thorium power plants either, since, they make Uranium that can be used in bombs.

https://whatisnuclear.com/thorium-myths.html#myth3
Nuclear reactors, by their nature, split atoms in a chain reaction to release energy slowly, safely, and under control. If a nefarious operator controls such a system, they can use various means to extract the fissile nuclear fuel atoms and concentrate them into a weapon. Thus, all reactors require safeguards and inspections from the UN nuclear watchdog, the IAEA. This includes Thorium reactors.

Thorium reactors work by breeding Th-232 through Protactinium-233 (27.4 day half life) and into Uranium-233, which is fissile. Pa-233 is a pretty strong neutron absorber, so the MSBR (basically the LFTR) has to extract it from the core once it is produced and let it decay to U-233 away from the neutrons. Once the U-233 is created, it gets fed back into the reactor. Well, if you went rogue, you could build up a little excess reactivity (maybe add some low-enriched U-235?) and then divert the freshly-bred U-233 into a weapons stream to make U-233 nuclear bombs. It may be difficult to do this several times without going subcritical, but it certainly could be done. A U-233-filled bomb has been tested before, and it worked just fine.

And even if that wasn't the case, I really don't want terrorists to have access to any large amount of radioactive material, they could just make a dirty bomb. Keeping such materials out of the hands of terrorists is a priority, whether fissile or not. Even if Thorium couldn't be used specifically to make atomic bombs, that wouldn't make its proliferation to terrorists and rogue states a non-issue.

Though, again, moot point since Thorium powerplants can be used to make bombs.

Although nuclear proliferation is a moot point for the Russia, US, EU and PRC because we already have nuclear weapons. So that is not a concern for the 4 of us nuclearizing to replace fossils.

Which even if only the 4 of us did, would still massively reduce global emissions as collectively we are by far the biggest and together make up more than half the emissions, more than the rest of the work combined.
https://images.app.goo.gl/NijcsrJAieiNaKeB6

India too already has nuclear weapons although with them it is more difficult because they are not a NPT approved nuclear state.

By focusing on nuclear in the EU/UK, US, RF and PRC we address more than half of global emissions with no nuclear proliferation issue.

The US can export electricity to Mexico today for example. (As much as I like nuclear power not sure Mexico is a good candidate to build it at this time).
Last edited by Novus America on Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

UniversalCommons
Senator

Founded: Jan 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:36 pm

Nuclear recycling is a big issue as well. France reprocesses its spent fuel. The United States does not. This means there are much bigger stock piles of nuclear waste. Bill Gates started a project with China to build a reactor that used nuclear waste called the Traveling Wave Reactor. Our current administration killed it because Gates was working with China in a joint project and they claimed that nuclear reprocessing was a tool for weapons proliferation.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:57 pm

UniversalCommons wrote:Nuclear recycling is a big issue as well. France reprocesses its spent fuel. The United States does not. This means there are much bigger stock piles of nuclear waste. Bill Gates started a project with China to build a reactor that used nuclear waste called the Traveling Wave Reactor. Our current administration killed it because Gates was working with China in a joint project and they claimed that nuclear reprocessing was a tool for weapons proliferation.

It actually is not a big issue:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes ... lanet/amp/

We used to have reprocessing capability until Carter killed it. We could again.
Their is some 46 billion unspent money in our nuclear waste disposal fund as well.

Not that we really need to use it anyways. Because nuclear waste is actually not a real big issue. It kills a grand total of zero people a year.
Leaving it where it is not an issue, at least in until we start running short of Uranium and Thorium and need to reprocess it it. But that is a long ways away.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

UniversalCommons
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:24 pm

What is counted is deaths by accidents which are visible. Deaths by cancer are not counted. This is where people get afraid. Nuclear radiation is not particular visible, there is no way that you are going to get health coverage for it. It is most likely going to be covered up and when it is reported by some green group, it is going to be exaggerated with a dose of fear.

This is an article on Chernobyl from Newsweek. It is not the most reputable source. It has quotes for between 4,000 people getting and 200,000 people getting cancer from Chernobyl. You get slow nonvisible politicized deaths which are about fear.

https://www.newsweek.com/chernobyl-disa ... er-1444029

There is a mix of secrecy and politicization which terrifies people. The word coverup goes with exaggeration so that it confuses things with massive inaccuracy.

Part of this fear is that very few people actually know how nuclear energy works. It is complicated and fearsome. The promise that nothing can go wrong repeatedly is nonsense. The exaggeration is just as bad.

To make this more interesting you go to the NIH website in the United States and they tell most of what is known about radiation cancer deaths comes from Chernobyl. None of it is accurate. It is all politicized.
https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/cau ... fact-sheet

Nuclear energy is great for space exploration. There are very few people up there who are not willing to take the risk and there is very little life to kill.
Last edited by UniversalCommons on Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Neu California
Senator

Founded: Jul 12, 2009
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Neu California » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:47 pm

(I'm not quoting the article because I'm on tablet, where quoting is a giant pita, but...) Microsoft plans to go carbon negative by 2030 with a heavy reliance on renewables and battery based transport

https://blogs.microsoft.com/blog/2020/0 ... e-by-2030/

Ctrl f "Taking responsibility for our carbon footprint" for information on their specific plans.

Sounds like a major investment in renewables from on of the nation's largest corporations is inbound.
"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little"-FDR
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist"-Dom Helder Camara
"When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression"-Unknown
He/him
Aspie and proud
I'm a weak agnostic without atheistic or theistic leanings.
Endless sucker for romantic lesbian stuff

"During my research I interviewed a guy who said he was a libertarian until he did MDMA and realized that other people have feelings, and that was pretty much the best summary of libertarianism I've ever heard"

Crockerland
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Crockerland » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:52 pm

Novus America wrote:
UniversalCommons wrote:Nuclear recycling is a big issue as well. France reprocesses its spent fuel. The United States does not. This means there are much bigger stock piles of nuclear waste. Bill Gates started a project with China to build a reactor that used nuclear waste called the Traveling Wave Reactor. Our current administration killed it because Gates was working with China in a joint project and they claimed that nuclear reprocessing was a tool for weapons proliferation.

Their is some 46 billion unspent money in our nuclear waste disposal fund as well.

Not that we really need to use it anyways. Because nuclear waste is actually not a real big issue. It kills a grand total of zero people a year.
Leaving it where it is not an issue, at least in until we start running short of Uranium and Thorium and need to reprocess it it. But that is a long ways away.

Since we're on the topic of nuclear waste, tangentially related: 'Ever notice that nobody talks about the radioactive waste produced in the creation of wind turbines?

https://www.instituteforenergyresearch.org/renewable/wind/big-winds-dirty-little-secret-rare-earth-minerals/
Estimates of the exact amount of rare earth minerals in wind turbines vary, but in any case the numbers are staggering. According to the Bulletin of Atomic Sciences, a 2 megawatt (MW) wind turbine contains about 800 pounds of neodymium and 130 pounds of dysprosium. The MIT study cited above estimates that a 2 MW wind turbine contains about 752 pounds of rare earth minerals.

To quantify this in terms of environmental damages, consider that mining one ton of rare earth minerals produces about one ton of radioactive waste, according to the Institute for the Analysis of Global Security. In 2012, the U.S. added a record 13,131 MW of wind generating capacity. That means that between 4.9 million pounds (using MIT’s estimate) and 6.1 million pounds (using the Bulletin of Atomic Science’s estimate) of rare earths were used in wind turbines installed in 2012. It also means that between 4.9 million and 6.1 million pounds of radioactive waste were created to make these wind turbines.

For perspective, America’s nuclear industry produces between 4.4 million and 5 million pounds of spent nuclear fuel each year. That means the U.S. wind industry may well have created more radioactive waste last year than our entire nuclear industry produced in spent fuel. In this sense, the nuclear industry seems to be doing more with less: nuclear energy comprised about one-fifth of America’s electrical generation in 2012, while wind accounted for just 3.5 percent of all electricity generated in the United States.

Interesting stuff.
Last edited by Crockerland on Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Free Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Tibet.
Gay not Queer / Why Abortion is Genocide / End Gay Erasure
PROUD SUPPORTER OF:
National Liberalism, Nuclear & Geothermal Power, GMOs, Vaccines, Biodiesel, LGBTIA equality, Universal Healthcare, Universal Basic Income, Constitutional Carry, Emotional Support Twinks, Right to Life

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:36 am

Crockerland wrote:
Novus America wrote:

Since we're on the topic of nuclear waste, tangentially related: 'Ever notice that nobody talks about the radioactive waste produced in the creation of wind turbines?

https://www.instituteforenergyresearch.org/renewable/wind/big-winds-dirty-little-secret-rare-earth-minerals/
Estimates of the exact amount of rare earth minerals in wind turbines vary, but in any case the numbers are staggering. According to the Bulletin of Atomic Sciences, a 2 megawatt (MW) wind turbine contains about 800 pounds of neodymium and 130 pounds of dysprosium. The MIT study cited above estimates that a 2 MW wind turbine contains about 752 pounds of rare earth minerals.

To quantify this in terms of environmental damages, consider that mining one ton of rare earth minerals produces about one ton of radioactive waste, according to the Institute for the Analysis of Global Security. In 2012, the U.S. added a record 13,131 MW of wind generating capacity. That means that between 4.9 million pounds (using MIT’s estimate) and 6.1 million pounds (using the Bulletin of Atomic Science’s estimate) of rare earths were used in wind turbines installed in 2012. It also means that between 4.9 million and 6.1 million pounds of radioactive waste were created to make these wind turbines.

For perspective, America’s nuclear industry produces between 4.4 million and 5 million pounds of spent nuclear fuel each year. That means the U.S. wind industry may well have created more radioactive waste last year than our entire nuclear industry produced in spent fuel. In this sense, the nuclear industry seems to be doing more with less: nuclear energy comprised about one-fifth of America’s electrical generation in 2012, while wind accounted for just 3.5 percent of all electricity generated in the United States.

Interesting stuff.

Interesting indeed. We've probably been protected from knowledge about the nuclear waste produced in rare earth refining, since it's largely done in China. Who knows what they did with the waste, I'm guessing they buried it though it may also have gone into their civilian and military nuclear programs.

It would not be the same as reactor waste, likely much lower grade, but I don't know.
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:40 am

UniversalCommons wrote:What is counted is deaths by accidents which are visible. Deaths by cancer are not counted. This is where people get afraid. Nuclear radiation is not particular visible, there is no way that you are going to get health coverage for it.

No, that's silly. If you want me to read a lengthy post, try not to say something silly in the first paragraph.

Probably a better point is that cancer can kill you whether your insurance covers it or not.
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:24 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Crockerland wrote:Since we're on the topic of nuclear waste, tangentially related: 'Ever notice that nobody talks about the radioactive waste produced in the creation of wind turbines?

Interesting stuff.

Interesting indeed. We've probably been protected from knowledge about the nuclear waste produced in rare earth refining, since it's largely done in China. Who knows what they did with the waste, I'm guessing they buried it though it may also have gone into their civilian and military nuclear programs.

It would not be the same as reactor waste, likely much lower grade, but I don't know.

Refining of rare earths produces thorium.
The solution to rate earth nuclear waste? Thorium reactors.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:28 am

UniversalCommons wrote:What is counted is deaths by accidents which are visible. Deaths by cancer are not counted. This is where people get afraid. Nuclear radiation is not particular visible, there is no way that you are going to get health coverage for it. It is most likely going to be covered up and when it is reported by some green group, it is going to be exaggerated with a dose of fear.

This is an article on Chernobyl from Newsweek. It is not the most reputable source. It has quotes for between 4,000 people getting and 200,000 people getting cancer from Chernobyl. You get slow nonvisible politicized deaths which are about fear.

https://www.newsweek.com/chernobyl-disa ... er-1444029

There is a mix of secrecy and politicization which terrifies people. The word coverup goes with exaggeration so that it confuses things with massive inaccuracy.

Part of this fear is that very few people actually know how nuclear energy works. It is complicated and fearsome. The promise that nothing can go wrong repeatedly is nonsense. The exaggeration is just as bad.

To make this more interesting you go to the NIH website in the United States and they tell most of what is known about radiation cancer deaths comes from Chernobyl. None of it is accurate. It is all politicized.
https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/cau ... fact-sheet

Nuclear energy is great for space exploration. There are very few people up there who are not willing to take the risk and there is very little life to kill.

Actually estimates of cancer deaths are counted. And the cancer risk from a reactor with a containment structure is basically zero.

You are at FAR more risk walking outside in the sun.

And the rare earth waste from solar and wind? Can cause cancer. Obviously fossil fuels can. Nuclear has a lower cancer risk.

But you did hit in one thing, the biggest problem with nuclear power is people’s ignorance and a ton of anti nuclear propaganda.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Temacht
Attaché

Founded: Sep 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Temacht » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:46 am

I like the idea of a fossil fuel exclusionary, all of the above mix. I would also like the mix to be based largely on hydroelectric and nuclear. One could use nuclear for base line power generation, hydro as a flex source, solar and wind when available, geothermal where applicable.
FCR Temacht's Factbook

Traditional Political Compass: Econonmy L/R 3.25, Authoritarianism -2.51
8 Values map
Politiscales map

Kathyleen
Political Columnist

Founded: Jan 29, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Kathyleen » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:30 am

In my opinion solar power it's our future. A few solar PV panels installed, DIY will take care of your base house consumption. As in this article Do Solar Panels Need Maintenance? - Blog About Solar Energy | Websolarguide said If you buy well, then even without subsidies, you could look at a payback time of around 10-12 years, which is not bad at all.
And of course, everyone really should make a contribution to fighting climate change if and when they can...
Last edited by Kathyleen on Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:32 am

Temacht wrote:I like the idea of a fossil fuel exclusionary, all of the above mix. I would also like the mix to be based largely on hydroelectric and nuclear. One could use nuclear for base line power generation, hydro as a flex source, solar and wind when available, geothermal where applicable.

This. The biggest issue with nuclear is it makes little sense to vary the output, but demand varies.
Nuclear meets the minimum demand, other more variable sources the peak.

Although you could just add a reverse osmosis plant to the nuclear one, which could use power production in excess of normal outside demand to make fresh water.
Or pump a hydroelectric dam in reverse.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

UniversalCommons
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:07 am

The big problem with nuclear is that it is very expensive to build out and requires a lot of resources up front. The initial cost is very high because of all the safety features and technical requirements. There is also a fear of a massive disaster. Most of the time nuclear is safe. The problem is it is not safe, it is truly terrible, you get Three Mile Island, Fukushima, and Chernobyl. Big expensive accidents. You essentially have to build the plants like bunkers to avoid this kind of problem.

It is much cheaper to install wind power, solar power, or hydroelectric and it is built much faster with fewer permits. By the time a plant gets built, several wind farms, small hydroelectric, and solar facilities can be built.

Another major disadvantage is that the current philosophy on nuclear power is very centralized. There does not seem to be a move towards more decentralized smaller nuclear power plants that would be safer.

The grid is moving to distributed energy sources. It is also moving to a smart grid with smart metering. The old nuclear power plants are not designed for the new grid. Because it is centralized it does not allow for distributed power generation. In Germany for example, people can put up their own solar and wind power and sell energy back to the grid. This is entrepreneurial and distributed something which should be encouraged in my opinion. People also can produce biogas on farms as well to sell.

Solar, wind, geothermal, and hydroelectric are not extractive resources. They are continuous and they don't require extensive mining. It is a different philosophy. Wind and solar are becoming cheaper, competitive with gas, coal, and other power sources.

Risottia
Khan of Spam

Founded: Sep 05, 2006
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Risottia » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:25 am

I don't understand why people mean only photovoltaic by "solar" and forget the solar thermal generators.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:35 am

UniversalCommons wrote:The big problem with nuclear is that it is very expensive to build out and requires a lot of resources up front. The initial cost is very high because of all the safety features and technical requirements. There is also a fear of a massive disaster. Most of the time nuclear is safe. The problem is it is not safe, it is truly terrible, you get Three Mile Island, Fukushima, and Chernobyl. Big expensive accidents. You essentially have to build the plants like bunkers to avoid this kind of problem.

It is much cheaper to install wind power, solar power, or hydroelectric and it is built much faster with fewer permits. By the time a plant gets built, several wind farms, small hydroelectric, and solar facilities can be built.

Another major disadvantage is that the current philosophy on nuclear power is very centralized. There does not seem to be a move towards more decentralized smaller nuclear power plants that would be safer.

The grid is moving to distributed energy sources. It is also moving to a smart grid with smart metering. The old nuclear power plants are not designed for the new grid. Because it is centralized it does not allow for distributed power generation. In Germany for example, people can put up their own solar and wind power and sell energy back to the grid. This is entrepreneurial and distributed something which should be encouraged in my opinion. People also can produce biogas on farms as well to sell.

Solar, wind, geothermal, and hydroelectric are not extractive resources. They are continuous and they don't require extensive mining. It is a different philosophy. Wind and solar are becoming cheaper, competitive with gas, coal, and other power sources.

Three Mile Island killed nobody, hurt nobody and did no damage outside the reactor containment structure. Yes should be a bunker like structure (something Chernobyl and Fukushima lacked) but if you do the risk basically zero. Also negative void coefficient reactors cannot possibly melt down. It all comes down to design. Not all nuclear plants are created equal. Chernobyl was a completely different design than others.

The idea that solar and wind are non extractive is false. Wind turbines and solar panels are made from materials and have a limited lifetime.
After a certain period they lost be replaced. By ones using more materials.

Wind and solar actually require far more extraction on a per kilowatt hour basis than nuclear. Land is also a problem. Wind and solar require extractive use of land area.

Germany has s a horrible example because they have soaring energy costs AND increasingly pollution thanks to their idiotic nuclear phase out.
Plus Germany still relies on conventional gas and coal plants.

Although obviously one wind turbine costs less than one nuclear reactors, it takes literally THOUSANDS of wind turbines to generate as much power as one nuclear reactor.

So although the total numbers being built is faster, it is not nearly enough.

Distributed power works okay in rural areas. Although reliable energy storage is a problem.
But big cities like NYC cannot use it. Even if every roof in NYC has a solar panel it would not generate nearly enough power.

Given their crap land density, wind and solar need sparsely populated areas to supply completely.

Yes nuclear is expensive up front, but for the amount of energy produced over its life cycle, it uses the least amount of land and materials (yes much less materials than wind or solar).

Which is why nuclear needs government subsidies (which wind and solar already get).
https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelshe ... power/amp/

Had all the money Germany and California spent on subsidies for wind and solar been spent on nuclear the outcome would be better.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Temacht
Attaché

Founded: Sep 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Temacht » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:13 am

I see a lot of people talk about batteries as a solution to the limitations of intermittent sources like solar and wind, but I'm curious. What are the repercussions of extracting metals and creating acids to make these batteries?
FCR Temacht's Factbook

Traditional Political Compass: Econonmy L/R 3.25, Authoritarianism -2.51
8 Values map
Politiscales map

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:45 am

Temacht wrote:I see a lot of people talk about batteries as a solution to the limitations of intermittent sources like solar and wind, but I'm curious. What are the repercussions of extracting metals and creating acids to make these batteries?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumped-st ... lectricity

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Founded: May 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Agarntrop » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:48 am

Convert fully to nuclear or cheap renewables. Coal and natural gas are polluting, so expensive they're only kept afloat by corrupt government subsidies, and inefficient.
Labour Party (UK), Progressive Democrat (US)
Left Without Edge
Former Senator Barry Anderson (R-MO)

Governor Tara Misra (R-KY)

Representative John Atang (D-NY03)

Governor Max Smith (R-AZ)

State Senator Simon Hawkins (D-IA)

Join Land of Hope and Glory - a UK political RP project

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:51 am

Agarntrop wrote:Convert fully to nuclear or cheap renewables. Coal and natural gas are polluting, so expensive they're only kept afloat by corrupt government subsidies, and inefficient.

Natural Gas has become quite efficient actually and produces a lot less CO2 than Coal/oil.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:52 am

Novus America wrote:Three Mile Island killed nobody, hurt nobody and did no damage outside the reactor containment structure. Yes should be a bunker like structure (something Chernobyl and Fukushima lacked) but if you do the risk basically zero. Also negative void coefficient reactors cannot possibly melt down. It all comes down to design. Not all nuclear plants are created equal. Chernobyl was a completely different design than others.

Hell, I've been in Chernobyl NPP and I still support nuclear.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Window Land
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 02, 2016
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Window Land » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:53 am

Nakena wrote:
Agarntrop wrote:Convert fully to nuclear or cheap renewables. Coal and natural gas are polluting, so expensive they're only kept afloat by corrupt government subsidies, and inefficient.

Natural Gas has become quite efficient actually and produces a lot less CO2 than Coal/oil.

The big thing with natural gas is its tendency to leak and blow buildings up.
edit: grammar is a thing
Last edited by Window Land on Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bored college student who is probably supposed to be doing something important.
Woodie Flowers wrote:If you’re anti-science, you’re pro-stupid.

Evelyn Beatrice Hall wrote:I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Winston Churchill wrote:Democracy is the worst form of government – except for all the others that have been tried.

Randall Munroe wrote: I can't remember where I heard this, but someone once said that defending a position by citing free speech is sort of the ultimate concession; you're saying that the most compelling thing you can say for your position is that it's not literally illegal to express.
Free Speech

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General