NATION

PASSWORD

What do you consider an ideal house?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:20 am

Purpelia wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Alright. It's just that your description was almost a perfect fit for the building I just suggested. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I did not read the page in detail but the images did not show an internal courtyard large enough to put a modern backyard pool and plant some trees on the side. Which really would be the ideal.

The plans could easily be elongated if the specific site where the building was going to be located allowed for it, which in turn would allow for a pool and trees to be integrated with the layout. Here are some more examples:

http://maricamckeel.com/design-inspirat ... yard-house

Purpelia wrote:Like, imagine it. You have all your rooms opening up to a roofed walkway surrounding this big courtyard. And it has a couple trees for shade in one corner with maybe some benches on the walkway for sitting and having coffee and stuff. And than in the middle you have an american style big pool. With maybe some decorative stonework to make a fake spring or something to make it look more natural. But you still totally make the roof out of solar panels just because.

Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:22 am

The New California Republic wrote:

That's basically the idea, yes. I just wish I had the land and money to get me one of those.
Last edited by Purpelia on Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:22 am

Scomagia wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:One of my interests in architecture is micro houses and the like, and with some creative design I agree that it is perfectly possible to create a house that is quite charming and roomy.

Here are some examples: https://www.countryliving.com/home-desi ... iny-house/

The missus and I are looking at having a more custom house after we sell this one. I think she's actually shown me some of the ones from the link as examples of what she's thinking.

Though if you are going tiny I would go with a boat or RV.
You get the same space but with added functionality.

I lived on a sailboat for a few years.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:24 am

Purpelia wrote:

That's basically the idea, yes. I just wish I had the land and money to get me one of those.

Although I wouldn't recommend using the koi pond as a swimming pool. :p
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:26 am

Purpelia wrote:That's basically the idea, yes. I just wish I had the land and money to get me one of those.

Although I wouldn't recommend using the koi pond as a swimming pool. :p

Unless I stuff it with sharks... sharks that have lasers on their heads! Than I could finally invite over all who've wronged me! :p
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:34 am

Purpelia wrote:I did not read the page in detail but the images did not show an internal courtyard large enough to put a modern backyard pool and plant some trees on the side. Which really would be the ideal.

The plans could easily be elongated if the specific site where the building was going to be located allowed for it, which in turn would allow for a pool and trees to be integrated with the layout. Here are some more examples:

Purpelia wrote:Like, imagine it. You have all your rooms opening up to a roofed walkway surrounding this big courtyard. And it has a couple trees for shade in one corner with maybe some benches on the walkway for sitting and having coffee and stuff. And than in the middle you have an american style big pool. With maybe some decorative stonework to make a fake spring or something to make it look more natural. But you still totally make the roof out of solar panels just because.

Court yard houses are a very cool concept but unless you can fully move around the whole thing easily without going into the courtyard, weather is an issue.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:58 am

Novus America wrote:

Court yard houses are a very cool concept but unless you can fully move around the whole thing easily without going into the courtyard, weather is an issue.

Depending on the design, some courtyard houses have an internal corridor, or rooms that have doors at both ends of the room, which means that the rooms themselves form a "corridor" of sorts that can be used in bad weather. Of course a problem arises in terms of privacy: not everyone in the house will want their room to be used as a corridor as well, but that problem can be avoided by putting rooms such as bedrooms/bathrooms on the ends of the house where it isn't sandwiched between two rooms, and thus won't be used as a corridor for access to another room.

Wave on, wave on

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:12 am

Novus America wrote:

Depending on the design, some courtyard houses have an internal corridor, or rooms that have doors at both ends of the room, which means that the rooms themselves form a "corridor" of sorts that can be used in bad weather. Of course a problem arises in terms of privacy: not everyone in the house will want their room to be used as a corridor as well, but that problem can be avoided by putting rooms such as bedrooms/bathrooms on the ends of the house where it isn't sandwiched between two rooms, and thus won't be used as a corridor for access to another room.

I would definitely want a corridor that could be enclosed, maybe say with sliding glass doors so it could be opened and closed as weather permits.

Though still what to do when 4 feet of snow gets dumped in your courtyard is a valid question.

I guess it would be possible though probably expensive to have a courtyard with a retractable roof.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Hammer Britannia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Hammer Britannia » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:21 am

I have whatever the opposite of Claustrophobia is, so really tiny spaces are my ideal home. I would be pretty happy if I lived in a house about the size of a shipping container.
All shall tremble before me

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:29 am

Novus America wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Depending on the design, some courtyard houses have an internal corridor, or rooms that have doors at both ends of the room, which means that the rooms themselves form a "corridor" of sorts that can be used in bad weather. Of course a problem arises in terms of privacy: not everyone in the house will want their room to be used as a corridor as well, but that problem can be avoided by putting rooms such as bedrooms/bathrooms on the ends of the house where it isn't sandwiched between two rooms, and thus won't be used as a corridor for access to another room.

I would definitely want a corridor that could be enclosed, maybe say with sliding glass doors so it could be opened and closed as weather permits.

Villa Tugendhat has something similar, whereby the back of the house has glass windows in the rear living areas of the house that can be retracted into the floor depending on the season.

Novus America wrote:Though still what to do when 4 feet of snow gets dumped in your courtyard is a valid question.

It's possible to have a water collection system that will collect the water runoff in the courtyard as the snow is melting, and can be used the same as greywater for toilet flushing and other household tasks that don't need perfectly clean water.

Novus America wrote:I guess it would be possible though probably expensive to have a courtyard with a retractable roof.

The machinery required would also take up substantial floor space, unless it was operated by hand of course, but such a thing over a large courtyard area would likely take up to an hour of hand winding to completely extend or retract.

Wave on, wave on

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:34 am

Hammer Britannia wrote:I have whatever the opposite of Claustrophobia is, so really tiny spaces are my ideal home. I would be pretty happy if I lived in a house about the size of a shipping container.

I think you would like Mod.Fab

Wave on, wave on

Orange Creek
Political Columnist

Founded: Oct 09, 2015
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Orange Creek » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:39 am

Edited
Last edited by Orange Creek on Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wilhelmus van Nassouwe
ben ik, van Duitsen bloed,
den vaderland getrouwe
blijf ik tot in den dood.
Een Prinse van Oranje
ben ik, vrij, onverveerd,
den Koning van Hispanje
heb ik altijd geëerd

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:58 am

Hammer Britannia wrote:I have whatever the opposite of Claustrophobia is, so really tiny spaces are my ideal home. I would be pretty happy if I lived in a house about the size of a shipping container.

They literally make houses out of shipping containers.

Though I would still go with an RV or boat in that case.
Because then you have an added function, but with the same space.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Evil Dictators Happyland
Senator

Founded: Aug 03, 2016
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Evil Dictators Happyland » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:19 am

Uhh can I get one boneless BLOOD FORTRESS

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:23 am

Novus America wrote:

They literally make houses out of shipping containers.

Office blocks too.

Wave on, wave on

Lamborghini Aventador
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 24, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Lamborghini Aventador » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:51 am

honestly one with nationstates with a computer and a xbox

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:07 am

If I had infinite money I'd probably have a house on the Gulf Coast of Florida (that's where I'm originally from) with floor to ceiling windows and a super plush circle bed in the master bedroom (plush for those who have never worked in the mattress industry as I have is the opposite of firm, firm mattresses aren't right for most people tbh you only need a firm mattress if you sleep on your stomach otherwise you should go for something softer it's not healthy sleeping on a hard surface otherwise)

As to the rest I don't really care maybe those almost flat kitchen sinks like Kim Kardashian has though I'd be embarrassed about having those instead of just a normal drain)
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:32 am

Scomagia wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Under 500 square feet? What are you living in? A shoe box?

My house right now is 385 sq ft. If you don't have a lot of superfluous junk, it's pretty comfy.

I need about 1,000 sq ft for my trains alone. I couldn’t live any thing smaller than about 4,000 sq ft
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:38 am

Novus America wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Depending on the design, some courtyard houses have an internal corridor, or rooms that have doors at both ends of the room, which means that the rooms themselves form a "corridor" of sorts that can be used in bad weather. Of course a problem arises in terms of privacy: not everyone in the house will want their room to be used as a corridor as well, but that problem can be avoided by putting rooms such as bedrooms/bathrooms on the ends of the house where it isn't sandwiched between two rooms, and thus won't be used as a corridor for access to another room.

Though still what to do when 4 feet of snow gets dumped in your courtyard is a valid question.

I guess it would be possible though probably expensive to have a courtyard with a retractable roof.

Build your home in Arizona or Georgia or Florida
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:03 am

Last edited by Thermodolia on Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:58 am

Novus America wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:The plans could easily be elongated if the specific site where the building was going to be located allowed for it, which in turn would allow for a pool and trees to be integrated with the layout. Here are some more examples:

Ideally you'd want to have a roofed walkway that's open to the sides and goes around the whole courtyard. That way you can walk around your home from room to room without entering any of them needlessly and the roof in combination with the enclosed nature of the courtyard will keep weather away. Than again if money was no issue I'd totally give it a retractable roof like some stadiums have.
Last edited by Purpelia on Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 02, 2018
Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:59 am

American Gardens Building on West 81st Street, 11th floor.
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:37 am

Wave on, wave on

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:52 am

Purpelia wrote:
Novus America wrote:

Ideally you'd want to have a roofed walkway that's open to the sides and goes around the whole courtyard. That way you can walk around your home from room to room without entering any of them needlessly and the roof in combination with the enclosed nature of the courtyard will keep weather away. Than again if money was no issue I'd totally give it a retractable roof like some stadiums have.

The walk war needs to be enclosed when it is below freezing.
Snow drifts as well.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

San Lumen
Post Kaiser

Founded: Jul 02, 2009
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby San Lumen » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:54 am

I would say something like the Addams Family Mansion

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General