NATION

PASSWORD

Jewish Discussion Thread בְּ

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What Type of Jew are You?

Orthodox
8%
Modern Orthodox
2%
Conservative
15%
Reform
18%
Irreligious
36%
Other
15%
Karaite
3%
Reconstructionist
2%

Total votes : 304

Menassa
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 11, 2010
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Menassa » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:53 pm

US-SSR wrote:Is alligator kosher? It sure is tasty.

For a moment I thought one of the poll choices was "Karate Jew." Dyslexics of the world, untie; you have nothing to lose but your chinas!

(Image)

Alligator is not kosher.

Leviticus 11:42
You are not to eat any creature that moves along the ground, whether it moves on its belly or walks on all fours or on many feet; it is unclean.
Remember what Amalek did to you on your journey --- Do not Forget!
Their hollow inheritance.
This is my god and I shall exalt him
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"God said: you must teach, as I taught, without a fee."
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

Western Vale Confederacy
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Western Vale Confederacy » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:11 pm

Menassa wrote:

For a moment I thought one of the poll choices was "Karate Jew." Dyslexics of the world, untie; you have nothing to lose but your chinas!

(Image)

Alligator is not kosher.

You are not to eat any creature that moves along the ground, whether it moves on its belly or walks on all fours or on many feet; it is unclean.

Do people still unironically follow the entirety of Leviticus's laws, though?

'Cause last time I checked, it was still a bunch of unnecessarily strict laws that would be near-impossible to fully follow in the modern world.

Menassa
Post Czar

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Menassa » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:15 pm

Western Vale Confederacy wrote:
Menassa wrote:

Alligator is not kosher.

'Cause last time I checked, it was still a bunch of unnecessarily strict laws that would be near-impossible to fully follow in the modern world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthodox_Judaism
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:19 pm

Prydania wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:1. That is what I said. The practice was stopped when xtian rulers, and later Muslim leaders killed us for it.

I think that, after over 1,000 years, it’s something we can say we don’t do. Especially considering the last time we did it we primarily targeted fellow Jews.

2. Saved is a really poor term, as there is nothing to be "saved". While we have repentance and mercy, actions in life have more of a bearing on the afterlife than any notion of repentance or acceptance of some sort of godhead as guaranteeing a happy afterlife.

I teach grade 9 world history in Florida. It’s pretty hard to hammer home the point that, in Greek mythology, “good people” didn’t go hang out with Zeus in the sky. It’s also hard to hammer home the point that Hades was not a place for “bad people.”
My points are 1) I’m well aware of Jewish theology on the matter, no need to explain it and 2) the concept of salvation in the afterlife is such a strong concept in western Christian thought that even the irreligious are intimately familiar with it.
And as such it became very easy to use the term “saved” growing up whenever my Christian friends would ask about what Jewish people believe regarding the afterlife. It was a cultural shorthand that got the broad idea across, if not the specifics. Seeing as I wasn’t training any of my friends for careers in Jewish theology? I think it was an effective way to explain Jewish belief on the matter in a way that fit their worldview.

3. The question i am asking of norse worship is do they use idolatry in their worship practice? I dont know the answer, but the answer impacts if we can call a faithful Norse pagan rightous. If they do, we cant, as idolatry is specifically forbidden in the laws of the noahide.

My point is that I don’t feel a need to proselytize to someone who finds their own spiritual fulfillment in somethng like Norse paganism.
Whether or not they’re “righteous” is up to G-d to decide. As I said, I’m unaware of the specifics of Norse pagan worship, but I don’t believe they used/use idols like the Greek, Roman, Egyptian, Babylonians, etc... did.
Then again that gets into what one would consider an “idol” vs something else, which is a much larger discussion.

I would say that Moshe ben Maimon’s writings are worth a look. He held that idol worship itself wasn’t inherently sinful. Moreso what was sinful was the belief that G-d was corporal. Which he extended beyond the issue of idols, even arguing that fellow Jews had to be careful when referring to G-d as a King, Ruler, Judge, Architect, etc... These are metaphors that help us understand the Almighty rather than serving as accurate descriptions to our limited understanding of the universe.

1. We still do it targeting Jews, Chabad regularly sends out mitzvah tanks to various neighborhoods in the city. First they ask "are you jewish", if the answer is yes they very much encourage you to participate in rituals such as laying tefillin or during succoth shaking the lulav and estrog. (Which tbh I quite enjoy). If you answer no they say good day.

2. 9th grade history?!? You have my sympathy.

Using saved to describe a Jewish afterlife is still fundamentally wrong. The only proper way to describe it is almost the opposite of saved. We have no concept of salvation via a belief in the lord. Nor anything that matches a xtian heaven and hell.

3. To ask what is an idol is a fair question. I would answer an idol is a manifestation of God, not a representation of God. Xtians dont worship the cross as a God, so I would guess they could be righteous. Where a statue of diana was suppose to be her and worshiped as such, so i would say they couldn't be.

I wish to add, I much enjoyed reading your posts in regards to our past persecutions, I thought it was very well put.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

US-SSR
Minister

Founded: Aug 02, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby US-SSR » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:24 pm

Menassa wrote:

(Image)

Alligator is not kosher.

Pity. I was thinking alligator scutes might qualify as scales and since it lives more or less in water... Looks like the moving along the ground thing overrides that tho.
8:46

We're not going to control the pandemic!

It is a slaughter and not just a political dispute.

"The scraps of narcissism, the rotten remnants of conspiracy theories, the offal of sour grievance, the half-eaten bits of resentment flow by. They do not cohere. But they move in the same, insistent current of self, self, self."

Menassa
Post Czar

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Menassa » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:40 pm

US-SSR wrote:
Menassa wrote:

Alligator is not kosher.

Pity. I was thinking alligator scutes might qualify as scales and since it lives more or less in water... Looks like the moving along the ground thing overrides that tho.

Yeah they're not fish so...

Menassa
Post Czar

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Menassa » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:48 pm

Menassa wrote:

Alligator is not kosher.

Bet you didn't know that's where Kosher came from ^.^

Reikoku
Senator

Founded: Apr 01, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Reikoku » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:54 pm

Menassa wrote:
Prydania wrote:I would disagree.
Is the person a Jew? If yes then yes, you have a point. They ought to worship G-d.
If someone is not of the tribe of Israel? There is nothing to suggest G-d expects them to follow our faith.

Of course, no gentile is expected to be of our faith.

However they are certainly not allowed to worship idols, or murder, or steal etc.

Does all polytheism fall under idolatry?
Last edited by Reikoku on Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Western Vale Confederacy
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Western Vale Confederacy » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:56 pm

Menassa wrote:

Bet you didn't know that's where Kosher came from ^.^

I am aware that kosher came from Leviticus, but some laws in Leviticus are...slightly violent or unnecessarily harsh, not gonna lie.

Menassa
Post Czar

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Menassa » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:57 pm

Reikoku wrote:
Menassa wrote:Of course, no gentile is expected to be of our faith.

However they are certainly not allowed to worship idols, or murder, or steal etc.

Worshiping anything that is not God as God would fall under idolatry, even anger.

Menassa wrote:Bet you didn't know that's where Kosher came from ^.^

I am aware that kosher came from Leviticus, but some laws in Leviticus are...slightly violent or unnecessarily harsh, not gonna lie.

According to your understanding, I'm sure they would be.

Western Vale Confederacy
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Western Vale Confederacy » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:00 pm

Menassa wrote:
Reikoku wrote:

Worshiping anything that is not God as God would fall under idolatry, even anger.

I mean, I believe in God (a highly abstract interpretation of him though), and really, "don't be a douche" is the core of my moral belief.

Menassa
Post Czar

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Menassa » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:03 pm

Menassa wrote:Worshiping anything that is not God as God would fall under idolatry, even anger.

I mean, I believe in God (a highly abstract interpretation of him though), and really, "don't be a douche" is the core of my moral belief.

What a robust theology.

Western Vale Confederacy
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Western Vale Confederacy » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:04 pm

Menassa wrote:

What a robust theology.

It's worked for me so far.

Reikoku
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Reikoku » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:08 pm

Menassa wrote:
Reikoku wrote:

So there's never been righteous Gentiles, besides a few Noahides? Since even a lot of monotheist religions, like Christianity and Hinduism, would fall under idolatry.

Menassa
Post Czar

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Menassa » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:10 pm

Reikoku wrote:
Menassa wrote:Worshiping anything that is not God as God would fall under idolatry, even anger.

So there's never been righteous Gentiles, besides a few Noahides? Since even a lot of monotheist religions, like Christianity and Hinduism, would fall under idolatry.

You're forgetting Muslims ;)

And out of all the people who have ever existed on the planet? I'm sure there have been at least a few.

Reikoku
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Reikoku » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:22 pm

Menassa wrote:
Reikoku wrote:

You're forgetting Muslims ;)

And out of all the people who have ever existed on the planet? I'm sure there have been at least a few.

"Judeo-Islamic gang rise up." - Menassa :p

It's a pretty hard conclusion for someone to naturally reach, since the paradigms are incredibly narrow.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:43 pm

Menassa wrote:
Reikoku wrote:

I thought idolatry was the very specific practice of worshiping idols as gods. No?

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Menassa
Post Czar

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Menassa » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:43 pm

Reikoku wrote:
Menassa wrote:You're forgetting Muslims ;)

It's a pretty hard conclusion for someone to naturally reach, since the paradigms are incredibly narrow.

I'm assuming of course that if you don't 'know' about God then you're probably fine. Like Amazonian tribesmen.

Menassa
Post Czar

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Menassa » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:45 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:

I thought idolatry was the very specific practice of worshiping idols as gods. No?

Not for Jews, for Jews it's a deeper concept than Just refraining from worshiping stone and wood. While those are the exemplars of idolatry and probably warrant the harshest response from God, there are other forms as well. Money over God, ego over God, etc.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:53 pm

Menassa wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote: I thought idolatry was the very specific practice of worshiping idols as gods. No?

Not for Jews, for Jews it's a deeper concept than Just refraining from worshiping stone and wood. While those are the exemplars of idolatry and probably warrant the harshest response from God, there are other forms as well. Money over God, ego over God, etc.

Well worship of money sure but no one literally worships money, or would agree they worshipped money, as say a follower of Baal would say. Yes I like Baal.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Reikoku
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Reikoku » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:55 pm

Menassa wrote:
Reikoku wrote:

I'm assuming of course that if you don't 'know' about God then you're probably fine. Like Amazonian tribesmen.

Excuse me, got to go and hide the shintai. :p

Menassa
Post Czar

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Menassa » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:01 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Menassa wrote:Not for Jews, for Jews it's a deeper concept than Just refraining from worshiping stone and wood. While those are the exemplars of idolatry and probably warrant the harshest response from God, there are other forms as well. Money over God, ego over God, etc.

Well worship of money sure but no one literally worships money, or would agree they worshipped money, as say a follower of Baal would say. Yes I like Baal.

Perhaps making money is more important to the given individual then the worship of God, as in, they put aside the mitzvos to make money?

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:08 pm

Menassa wrote:Not for Jews, for Jews it's a deeper concept than Just refraining from worshiping stone and wood. While those are the exemplars of idolatry and probably warrant the harshest response from God, there are other forms as well. Money over God, ego over God, etc.

It is an easy pitfall for people that is understandable. Generally speaking, praying to God isn't going to keep someone from being hungry or give them shelter or health. Only spiritual strength is gotten. With high enough income or assets on the other hand, all of a person's social or material needs can be met. That has more impact for someone who just wants to keep surviving.
Last edited by Saiwania on Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:08 pm

Menassa wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:Well worship of money sure but no one literally worships money, or would agree they worshipped money, as say a follower of Baal would say. Yes I like Baal.

Perhaps making money is more important to the given individual then the worship of God, as in, they put aside the mitzvos to make money?

Well yes, that is how we would describe it.

Anyway it is nice to see you again, and a healthy and happy secular new year to you.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Menassa
Post Czar

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Menassa » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:12 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Menassa wrote:Perhaps making money is more important to the given individual then the worship of God, as in, they put aside the mitzvos to make money?

Well yes, that is how we would describe it.

Anyway it is nice to see you again, and a healthy and happy secular new year to you.

Same to you my friend.

How is your health and that of your family?

Saiwania wrote:

It is an easy pitfall for people that is understandable. Generally speaking, praying to God isn't going to keep someone from being hungry or give them shelter or health. Only spiritual strength is gotten. With high enough income or assets on the other hand, all of a person's social or material needs can be met.

"רַבִּי יוֹנָתָן אוֹמֵר, כָּל הַמְקַיֵּם אֶת הַתּוֹרָה מֵעֹנִי, סוֹפוֹ לְקַיְּמָהּ מֵעשֶׁר. וְכָל הַמְבַטֵּל אֶת הַתּוֹרָה מֵעשֶׁר, סוֹפוֹ לְבַטְּלָהּ מֵעֹנִי:

Rabbi Yonatan says: Anyone who implements the Torah in poverty, his end will be to implement it in wealth. And anyone that disregards the Torah in wealth, will in the end disregard it in poverty." (Ethics 4:9)

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General