NATION

PASSWORD

Iran Protests

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What kind of deal is the Iran protests?

No deal
18%
Some deal
49%
Big deal
33%

Total votes : 148

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:21 am

-Ocelot- wrote:
Nakena wrote:
Your lack of arguments relevant to the topic is rather disappointing.

Do you know what else is disappointing? Supporters of monarchy.

And a logical fallacy named "appeal to tradition".

Actually it was the Mullahs who pressured his father, Reza Shah, to keep a monarchic system. He had originally intended to turn Iran into a Republic.

Durin VII wrote:
Nakena wrote:
That is plain wrong. If he would have been brutal as you said, he would have had Chomeini and the other leading clerics executed.

Which is likely what his father would have done.

The Shah was a weak ruler.

It's as right as it can get. The Shah was a brutal ruler who deserved a public hanging more than anyone else. The fact that some of his predecessors were even worse doesn't excuse him from anything at all. Or do you actually believe the people rose up against him because he was such a kind and loving man?

His predecessor Reza Shah was a strong ruler, unlike him, who was weak. Sometime brutality can be the result of weakness. An overraction to compensate for it.

The People rose up against him, precisely because he was a weak ruler who took bad decisions upon more bad decisions.

Durin VII
Envoy

Founded: Nov 19, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Durin VII » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:54 pm

Grossteutschland wrote:
Durin VII wrote:Monarchy was/is the traditional form of governance in many nations of the world, it doesn't mean that it's good or that it should return. The Shah was a brutal piece of shit and in most ways worse than the current government.

What did the Shah actually do "brutal" and "bad"? And obviously you forgot that the House of Durin are actually monarchs.

Ever heard of the SAVAK? Also there are things like forcing a culture upon the people, selling his country to foreign powers, enriching himself drastically at the expense of the people, banning any democratic form of rule etc.

And so? The House of Durin comes from a fantasy world, not exactly comparable with the real world in any way, shape or form.

Nakena wrote:
Durin VII wrote:
It's as right as it can get. The Shah was a brutal ruler who deserved a public hanging more than anyone else. The fact that some of his predecessors were even worse doesn't excuse him from anything at all. Or do you actually believe the people rose up against him because he was such a kind and loving man?

His predecessor Reza Shah was a strong ruler, unlike him, who was weak. Sometime brutality can be the result of weakness. An overraction to compensate for it.

The People rose up against him, precisely because he was a weak ruler who took bad decisions upon more bad decisions.

No, they did not. They rose up against him because he was a brutal dictator who didn't care about the country or its people.
Whether he was weak or not did not matter for those people back hten, it only helped them getting rid of the bastard.

Kash Island wrote:bringing the Shah back as a Secular Constitutional Monarchy could be a great balance, it would satisfy a lot of people I believe.

Never going to happen and it would statisfy barely anyone.
Last edited by Durin VII on Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arumbia67
Diplomat

Founded: May 20, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Arumbia67 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:29 pm

If there is any bloodshed, will the UN get involved? Or will they just wag their finger like they did during Rwanda?
When people say Bernie Sanders could win the presidency- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n5E7feJHw0
"Patriotism means supporting your country all the time, and your Government when it deserves it"-Mark Twain

Dooom35796821595
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dooom35796821595 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:13 pm

Arumbia67 wrote:If there is any bloodshed, will the UN get involved? Or will they just wag their finger like they did during Rwanda?

The UN aren't the world police, they're a forum of nations intended to prevent conflict between nation, not meddle in internal politics.
When life gives you lemons, you BURN THEIR HOUSE DOWN!
Anything can be justified if it is cool. If at first you don't succeed, destroy all in your way.
"Your methods are stupid! Your progress has been stupid! Your intelligence is stupid! For the sake of the mission, you must be terminated!”

Vulturret
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 23, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Vulturret » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:14 pm

Dooom35796821595 wrote:
Arumbia67 wrote:If there is any bloodshed, will the UN get involved? Or will they just wag their finger like they did during Rwanda?

The UN aren't the world police, they're a forum of nations intended to prevent conflict between nation, not meddle in internal politics.

This is true. This isn't something they as a body would help with.
Emperor of the Ragerian Imperium
Statsminister of Balder

Patriarch of House Griffin, High King of Domlar, King of Arin, King of Haggir, King of Don, King of Fola, Grand Duke of Jorn, High Patrician of Kola, Chieftain of the Amir, Warmaster of Alaan, Baselius of Tol, Samrat of Ayn, and Grand High Magistrate of Korrer
Member of the Storting of Balder
Styled Knight of Thor in Balder
Member of the Citizens' Assembly Advisory Board of Europeia
Minister of Culture of Europeia
Minister of Communications of Balder
Citizens' Assembly Chair of Europeia
Speaker of the Rejected Realms
Imperator of the Dark Vanquishers
Caliph of the Arabian Empire

The Ninja5 Empire
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jul 16, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Ninja5 Empire » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:15 pm

I just hope they don't fail like in 2009.
The Ninja5 Emperor is watching you...

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:10 am

This is a protest that is somewhat different from normal Iranian protests, in that it's more lower/middle class people in rural areas who are doing it (as opposed to affluent students in Tehran), and their main focus is on corruption and the economy rather than civil liberties. They also don't seem to be concerned about non-violence, which the students usually are.

What happened in Rwanda was a psychotic orgy of ethnic violence.

So they're not really comparable. I don't want to minimize what's happening in Iran, but it's weird to shame the UN in comparison. It would be like looking at the aftermath of a soccer riot and saying "first the Holocaust, and now this... when will humanity learn."
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

The Ninja5 Empire
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Ninja5 Empire » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:26 am

There is bloodshed but it's not exactly a war. Also, the Security Council needs to vote before they can intervene in Iran and I'm pretty sure Russia would just veto it. Repression of protesters is not something they intervene on.

Empire of Narnia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Empire of Narnia » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:46 am

The CIA did it.

The Ninja5 Empire
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Ninja5 Empire » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:47 am

Empire of Narnia wrote:The CIA did it.

They did but they shouldn't have.

Grossteutschland
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 27, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Grossteutschland » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:14 am

Durin VII wrote:banning any democratic form of rule etc.

And so? The House of Durin comes from a fantasy world, not exactly comparable with the real world in any way, shape or form.

As you hate monarchies and non-democracies, why do you actually give yourself/your nation a monarchical name? The dwarves had nothing like democracy, elections or referendums.
Gott segne das Heilige Deutschland!

not using NS Stats

Nakena
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:43 am

Durin VII wrote:Ever heard of the SAVAK? Also there are things like forcing a culture upon the people, selling his country to foreign powers, enriching himself drastically at the expense of the people, banning any democratic form of rule etc.

Forcing a culture upon people? So in other words that what the Islamic Republic did from 1979 onwards, forcing woman to wear veils and oppressing iranian and aryan culture?

Durin VII wrote:No, they did not. They rose up against him because he was a brutal dictator who didn't care about the country or its people.
Whether he was weak or not did not matter for those people back hten, it only helped them getting rid of the bastard.

As said before, he was a weak and incompetent ruler, and had likely an illness and some other issues towards the end in the second half of the 1970s. He failed to deal with the unrests in an aproperiate way, causing them to get worse, creating a cycle of violence. He also, never wanted to become Shah in the first place, but what coaxed into this role by circumstance and then later by his Sister and the CIA.

Radical liberals, leftists, communists did aid Chomeini in his attempt to take over, because they hated the Shah above all. Chomeini used them for his own advantage and when they had outlived their usefulness they were disposed off. This is surprisingly similar to the scheme that is currently repeating itself in the west, where leftists aiding islamic forces against their common enemy of "muh evil western civilization." The results of to what this led in Iran should be a warning.
Last edited by Nakena on Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

-Ocelot-
Minister

Founded: Jun 14, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby -Ocelot- » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:19 am

Empire of Narnia wrote:The CIA did it.

How?

Durin VII
Envoy

Founded: Nov 19, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Durin VII » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:24 pm

Grossteutschland wrote:
Durin VII wrote:banning any democratic form of rule etc.

As you hate monarchies and non-democracies, why do you actually give yourself/your nation a monarchical name? The dwarves had nothing like democracy, elections or referendums.

Please show me where i stated that i hated monarchies and/or non-democracies. And as mentioned above, The House of Durin is from a fantasy world, meaning it is not realistic in any way, shape or form.

Nakena wrote:
Durin VII wrote:Ever heard of the SAVAK? Also there are things like forcing a culture upon the people, selling his country to foreign powers, enriching himself drastically at the expense of the people, banning any democratic form of rule etc.

Forcing a culture upon people? So in other words that what the Islamic Republic did from 1979 onwards, forcing woman to wear veils and oppressing iranian and aryan culture?

What exactly would you consider Iranian and Aryan culture? As far as my knowledge goes Iranina culture is not a victim of opression in Iran.

Other than that, yes, pretty much. The Islamic Republic is far from perfect, or even from 'good' in many aspects, but it's still better than that what had been there before it.
Last edited by Durin VII on Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flazak-Wielko
Secretary

Founded: Dec 30, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Flazak-Wielko » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:13 pm

Thank god this didn't turn into something bigger, and the IRGC put down the Persian Thots. Looks like we're not the only ones with a Thot problem.

However, the Iranian government must address the poor standard of living in the country and the state of its economy, but not give in to these demands for "Social reform" which is a codeword for "Yes lets be like the brainwashed sluts and whores in the west today."

Eibenland
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 11, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Eibenland » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:30 pm

Flazak-Wielko wrote:Thank god this didn't turn into something bigger, and the IRGC put down the Persian Thots. Looks like we're not the only ones with a Thot problem.

However, the Iranian government must address the poor standard of living in the country and the state of its economy, but not give in to these demands for "Social reform" which is a codeword for "Yes lets be like the brainwashed sluts and whores in the west today."

Thots? What are you talking about?
Puppet of Geilinor. Add 40,000 posts.

Improved werpland
Ambassador

Founded: May 02, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Improved werpland » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:20 pm

Flazak-Wielko wrote:Thank god this didn't turn into something bigger, and the IRGC put down the Persian Thots. Looks like we're not the only ones with a Thot problem.

How could anyone reject that spiritual superiority and le gud traditions right?
Last edited by Improved werpland on Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flazak-Wielko
Secretary

Founded: Dec 30, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Flazak-Wielko » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:22 pm

Improved werpland wrote:

How could anyone reject that spiritual superiority and le gud traditions right?

I know your being sarcastic, but i'd rather have the traditions and spiritual superiority than the moral nihilism and destruction of the family and gender norms of what is happening in The West. In fact, i'd like to see regimes similar to Iran's across Europe, as it is better than what we have now.

Ya Ali, Ya Hussein.

Eibenland
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 11, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Eibenland » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:28 pm

Flazak-Wielko wrote:
Improved werpland wrote:How could anyone reject that spiritual superiority and le gud traditions right?

I know your being sarcastic, but i'd rather have the traditions and spiritual superiority than the moral nihilism and destruction of the family and gender norms of what is happening in The West. In fact, i'd like to see regimes similar to Iran's across Europe, as it is better than what we have now.

Ya Ali, Ya Hussein.

What makes Iranians "spiritually superior"? Many Iranians want changes to the regime as well.
Puppet of Geilinor. Add 40,000 posts.

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:37 pm

Flazak-Wielko wrote:
Improved werpland wrote:How could anyone reject that spiritual superiority and le gud traditions right?

Ya Ali, Ya Hussein.

Ya Saddam!

Kubumba Tribe
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Kubumba Tribe » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:46 pm

The East Marches II wrote:
Flazak-Wielko wrote:

Ya Ali, Ya Hussein.

Ya Saddam!

No, stop.
Pro: (Pan-)Islamism--Palestine--RBG--Choice to an extent--Giving land back to Native Americans--East--Afrika--etc.
Anti: US gov--West gov--Capitalism--Imperialism/Colonialism--Racism/White Supremacy--Secularism getting into everything--Western 'intervention' in the East--Zionism--etc.
I'm a New Afrikan Muslim :) https://www.16personalities.com/isfj-personality Sister nation of El-Amin Caliphate
Farnhamia wrote:A word of advice from your friendly neighborhood Mod, be careful how you use "kafir." It's derogatory usage by some people can get you in trouble unless you are very careful in setting the context for it's use.

This means we can use the word, just not in a bad way. So don't punish anyone who uses kafir.

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:06 pm

Kubumba Tribe wrote:
The East Marches II wrote:
Ya Saddam!

No, stop.

I-I got excited and wanted to join in.

Grossteutschland
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 27, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Grossteutschland » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:16 am

Durin VII wrote:Please show me where i stated that i hated monarchies and/or non-democracies. And as mentioned above, The House of Durin is from a fantasy world, meaning it is not realistic in any way, shape or form.

It indeed is realistic. For literature or television, for example.
Last edited by Grossteutschland on Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gott segne das Heilige Deutschland!

not using NS Stats

Nakena
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:35 am

Durin VII wrote:What exactly would you consider Iranian and Aryan culture? As far as my knowledge goes Iranina culture is not a victim of opression in Iran.

It is to varying degrees and forms ever since 1300 years. But we both know that.

Durin VII wrote:Other than that, yes, pretty much. The Islamic Republic is far from perfect, or even from 'good' in many aspects, but it's still better than that what had been there before it.

I disagree. See above.

Flazak-Wielko wrote:

Ya Ali, Ya Hussein.

If you believe that the Islamic Republic is anywhere close to tradition and spiritual superiority, then you have either no idea about the former or a very flawed comcept about the later. The fact that you have nothing better to bring up than some weak bourgeois arguments is very telling.

I prefer the shortcommings of the west with the possibility of freedom over the rule in name of the false idols.
Last edited by Nakena on Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Improved werpland
Ambassador

Founded: May 02, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Improved werpland » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:35 am

Flazak-Wielko wrote:

Ya Ali, Ya Hussein.

Spiritual superiority and tradition is codeword for "I want to arbitrarily step on people's rights in favor of some romanticized myth of the past." Moral nihilism is more similar to that than learning to practice restraint. But anyhow there's no need to worry since people in Iran clearly don't like it, and even the most moderate attempts of implementing "spiritual superiority" in the most conservative European countries have failed, thank god.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General