NATION

PASSWORD

Catalonia Megathread: Should Catalonia Separate From Spain?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Would you like that Catalonia becomes a State?

Yes
56%
No
32%
I don't know /never mind
12%

Total votes : 967

Kirav
Minister

Founded: Sep 07, 2006
Capitalizt

Postby Kirav » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:00 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Kirav wrote:No. I have no respect for the Catalan government deliberately subverting the Spanish constitution and then trying to play the victim when the law was enforced. Fuck that "flip over the table" mentality. Some of the shit with the Guardia Civil got out of hand, but Madrid did the right thing. ¡Viva Rajoy, viva el PP!

Right. Because throwing people down stairs for trying to exercise a basic human right is "[doing] the right thing".

Like I said, things got out of hand, but the Spanish government was well within its rights to physically intervene to stop the referendum from occurring once it was ruled unconstitutional.

Engleberg
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Engleberg » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:11 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Kirav wrote:No. I have no respect for the Catalan government deliberately subverting the Spanish constitution and then trying to play the victim when the law was enforced. Fuck that "flip over the table" mentality. Some of the shit with the Guardia Civil got out of hand, but Madrid did the right thing. ¡Viva Rajoy, viva el PP!

Right. Because throwing people down stairs for trying to exercise a basic human right is "[doing] the right thing".

You can't just vote to commit treason and declare it a basic human right.
Umbrellya wrote:"You are literally the most unashamed German I've ever met."

Wiena wrote:"Engleberg you surely are the most savage guy in the whole game."

West Leas Oros 2 wrote:Anything Left of Center: *exists*
Engle: FUCKING REDS!

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:39 pm

Major-Tom wrote:
MERIZoC wrote:What the fuck is wrong with you if you look at people protesting police brutality, fighting for democracy, and call it a tantrum?

Clearly a lot if I can anger people by using hyperbole.

I don't condone the police brutality, but I also don't condone how illegitimate the referendum is, and what Catalan independence will mean for Spain and Europe. The Eurozone does not, I repeat, cannot and does not need another fucking economic crisis.

There's no reason for there to be one, and the notion that there is is fanciful.

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:40 pm

Engleberg wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Thank you for your opinion on Democracy, person who is against it.

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:49 pm

The Widening Gyre wrote:
Major-Tom wrote:

I don't condone the police brutality, but I also don't condone how illegitimate the referendum is, and what Catalan independence will mean for Spain and Europe. The Eurozone does not, I repeat, cannot and does not need another fucking economic crisis.

Well, I mean in theory this doesn't have to be *that* disruptive. The Catalans don't have to declare independence on Monday, the EU can get the ball rolling for negotiations for Catalonia to join as soon as possible and Spain can start work beginning the process of organizing an amicable separation.

Problem is that the EU member states have vested interests in not entertaining separatist movements, the Spanish don't want to lose their biggest cash cow and the Catalans are afraid they're going to wake up the next morning with Spanish tanks on their lawns. It's a great big sucking vortex of brinksmanship now.

Listen, if negotiations do occur, I would hope it is amicable and that Catalonia can take on it's fair share of debt, enter the Eurozone, etc. I don't wish ill on the Catalans.

Greed and Death wrote:
Major-Tom wrote:
I would just like a referendum, if there has to be one, where it isn't 40% turnout where only the avid yes voters vote.

When the national police close polling places and steal ballot boxes I think they lose the ability to argue but the Turnout was low.

By that logic, which has a lot of merit to be fair, the only people who would go to such trouble to vote would be yes voters.

Torrocca wrote:
Major-Tom wrote:
I would just like a referendum, if there has to be one, where it isn't 40% turnout where only the avid yes voters vote.

Actually, there was something of a >50% turnout, it's just that, because of around 700,000 votes being seized, only that 40% you mentioned were counted.

I still go off opinion polls, which show the Catalan populace evenly split on the issue (until literally a few days ago about admittedly brutal events.)

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:49 pm

MERIZoC wrote:
Engleberg wrote:

bruh you're literally an anarcho primitivist.

MERIZoC wrote:
Major-Tom wrote:

There's no reason for there to be one, and the notion that there is is fanciful.

No need? It could quell some controversy. I just don't want to see both Spain and Catalonia absolutely crushed by debt because of leaving each other. It's like a shitty Vegas divorce, but worse.
Last edited by Major-Tom on Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:52 pm

Major-Tom wrote:
MERIZoC wrote:Thank you for your opinion on Democracy, person who is against it.

Which is an ideology based in ideas of direct democracy. Don't talk about what you don't know.

MERIZoC wrote:There's no reason for there to be one, and the notion that there is is fanciful.

No need? It could quell some controversy. I just don't want to see both Spain and Catalonia absolutely crushed by debt because of leaving each other. It's like a shitty Vegas divorce, but worse.

For what?

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:54 pm

MERIZoC wrote:
Major-Tom wrote:

Which is an ideology based in ideas of direct democracy. Don't talk about what you don't know.

For what?

I know - I just know that anarchism doesn't work, thus leading to, well, not democracy, generally. But that's another topic.

Hm?

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:58 pm

Major-Tom wrote:
MERIZoC wrote:Which is an ideology based in ideas of direct democracy. Don't talk about what you don't know.

For what?

I know - I just know that anarchism doesn't work, thus leading to, well, not democracy, generally. But that's another topic.

Hm?

What's the "crushing debt" coming from, exactly? If you're going to make the claim, spell it out.

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:04 pm

MERIZoC wrote:
Major-Tom wrote:

Hm?

What's the "crushing debt" coming from, exactly? If you're going to make the claim, spell it out.

Put it this way - Catalonia comprises nearly a fifth of Spain's economy. Barcelona, the whole region, is economically crucial to Spain, perhaps almost as much as Madrid. Once that becomes independent, what then for the rest of Spain? They are fucked. That's me spelling it out.

Can Catalonia survive on it's own economically? Maybe...but getting capital and investors into the newly independent country will be a process, as will distinguishing itself as a trade partner that isn't just Spain or Portugal.

Even if you're Pro-Catalan independence, it has to be recognized that the economic effects of this will not be peachy, especially for the 2nd hardest hit European country after Greece when it came to the great recession.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:08 pm

MERIZoC wrote:
Major-Tom wrote:

Hm?

Spain's current debt? If Catalonia doesn't take on its share of the debt it's not going to get into the EU. While Spain now without its cash cow and saddled with massive amounts of debt will default sending a financial shock wave across the EU. It won't be pretty and could possibly spell doom for the EU and I hope to God that a collapsing EU doesn't trigger a world wide economic crisis.

But that's what happens when you act like a spoiled brat. You don't care what happens to anyone else as long as you get what you want. And that's what Catalonia is doing
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:09 pm

Major-Tom wrote:
MERIZoC wrote:What's the "crushing debt" coming from, exactly? If you're going to make the claim, spell it out.

Put it this way - Catalonia comprises nearly a fifth of Spain's economy. Barcelona, the whole region, is economically crucial to Spain, perhaps almost as much as Madrid. Once that becomes independent, what then for the rest of Spain? They are fucked. That's me spelling it out.

Can Catalonia survive on it's own economically? Maybe...but getting capital and investors into the newly independent country will be a process, as will distinguishing itself as a trade partner that isn't just Spain or Portugal.

Even if you're Pro-Catalan independence, it has to be recognized that the economic effects of this will not be peachy, especially for the 2nd hardest hit European country after Greece when it came to the great recession.

And that's assuming that Catalonia's departure doesn't trigger an EU wide financial collapse
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:12 pm

Major-Tom wrote:
MERIZoC wrote:What's the "crushing debt" coming from, exactly? If you're going to make the claim, spell it out.

There's no reason for any sort of catastrophe if you smoothly integrate Catalonia into the EEA. Sure, Spain loses a chunk of it's economy, but it's not like it has to keep providing for the millions of Catalans who are leaving. It'll become a smaller country with a smaller economy, that's ok.

Oil exporting People
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Oil exporting People » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:14 pm

MERIZoC wrote:There's no reason for any sort of catastrophe if you smoothly integrate Catalonia into the EEA. Sure, Spain loses a chunk of it's economy, but it's not like it has to keep providing for the millions of Catalans who are leaving. It'll become a smaller country with a smaller economy, that's ok.

EU doesn't appear set to do such should they pull such a stunt, and Catalonia pays more into the system then they get; that's partly why we're event at this point.
National Syndicalist
“The blood of the heroes is closer to God than the ink of the philosophers and the prayers of the faithful.” - Julius Evola
Endorsing Greg "Grab 'em by the Neck" Gianforte and Brett "I Like Beer" Kavanaugh for 2020

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:15 pm

MERIZoC wrote:
Major-Tom wrote:

There's no reason for any sort of catastrophe if you smoothly integrate Catalonia into the EEA. Sure, Spain loses a chunk of it's economy, but it's not like it has to keep providing for the millions of Catalans who are leaving. It'll become a smaller country with a smaller economy, that's ok.

Only if Catalonia takes its share of the debt will that work. And if they don't. Odds are massively high that Spain will default.
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:17 pm

Oil exporting People wrote:
MERIZoC wrote:There's no reason for any sort of catastrophe if you smoothly integrate Catalonia into the EEA. Sure, Spain loses a chunk of it's economy, but it's not like it has to keep providing for the millions of Catalans who are leaving. It'll become a smaller country with a smaller economy, that's ok.

EU doesn't appear set to do such should they pull such a stunt, and Catalonia pays more into the system then they get; that's partly why we're event at this point.

Which is why it shouldnt be a stunt, but a clear, carefully organized process, between Madrid, Barcelona, and Brussels.

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:18 pm

MERIZoC wrote:
Major-Tom wrote:

The EU has said it considers the referendum illegal. There's a zero percent chance of that happening.

MERIZoC wrote:
Engleberg wrote:

"my feelings trump any inconvenient laws" - Merizoc

Greed and Death wrote:Wow so troops have already been deployed though it looks like the unions have sided with The Catalonias and are not assisting in unloading of troops and equipment though. Things will get crazy.

I for one am looking forward to spending a gap year with a volunteer brigade and polishing my Spanish up. :p
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

The Canadian Confederacy of Provinces
Attaché

Founded: Jun 27, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Canadian Confederacy of Provinces » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:18 pm

I Think they should however it will be a hard fight; an all out war in fact.*
*First off Spain has already shown that they will brutally suppress any attempt at separation.
*Second Spain will be backed by the EU because not only does this further destabilizes the Union, they have enough on their plate with those who wish to leave it and since an independent Catalonia would not have been a signatory to the treaties they would likely have a legal argument to leave as well!

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:19 pm

MERIZoC wrote:
Oil exporting People wrote:

Which is why it shouldnt be a stunt, but a clear, carefully organized process, between Madrid, Barcelona, and Brussels.

Which it is not, and will not become just because you wish it was.

Oil exporting People
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Oil exporting People » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:26 pm

MERIZoC wrote:Which is why it shouldnt be a stunt, but a clear, carefully organized process, between Madrid, Barcelona, and Brussels.

Ultimately, that's clearly impossible in this situation. I'm personally of the mindset that Spain should just suspend their government until this nonsense ends.
National Syndicalist
“The blood of the heroes is closer to God than the ink of the philosophers and the prayers of the faithful.” - Julius Evola
Endorsing Greg "Grab 'em by the Neck" Gianforte and Brett "I Like Beer" Kavanaugh for 2020

The Widening Gyre
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 01, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Widening Gyre » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:27 pm

Senkaku wrote:
MERIZoC wrote:Which is why it shouldnt be a stunt, but a clear, carefully organized process, between Madrid, Barcelona, and Brussels.

I don't think Merizoc's under any illusions about what will probably happen. They're just expressing what they think should happen.
anarchist communist, deep ecologist and agrarianist sympathizer

NeuPolska
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby NeuPolska » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:30 pm

The Canadian Confederacy of Provinces wrote:I Think they should however it will be a hard fight; an all out war in fact.*
*First off Spain has already shown that they will brutally suppress any attempt at separation.
*Second Spain will be backed by the EU because not only does this further destabilizes the Union, they have enough on their plate with those who wish to leave it and since an independent Catalonia would not have been a signatory to the treaties they would likely have a legal argument to leave as well!

Yes, let's all just disregard the law, disregard the low turnout, but put the subjective feelings of a few individuals above all others. Spain is hardly "brutally" suppressing anything. What they are doing is standing up for their constitution.

Please, call me POLSKA
U.S. Army Enlisted
Kar-Esseria wrote:Who is that and are they female because if not then they can go make love to their hand.
Impaled Nazarene wrote:Go home Polska wins NS.
United Mongol Hordes wrote:Polska isn't exactly the nicest guy in the world
Impaled Nazarene wrote:Hurd you miss the point more than Polska misses Poland.
Rhodesialund wrote:when you have Charlie ten feet away or something operating operationally.
Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:Gayla is living in 1985 but these guys are already in 1916

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:33 pm

The Widening Gyre wrote:
Senkaku wrote:Which it is not, and will not become just because you wish it was.

I don't think Merizoc's under any illusions about what will probably happen. They're just expressing what they think should happen.

"Spain and the EU should disregard all their own interests, the precedent it would set, and the fact that this isn't even legal, because muh d1rect democracy"

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:54 pm

Senkaku wrote:

The EU has said it considers the referendum illegal. There's a zero percent chance of that happening.

And the EU has never acted rashly or with bad faith before

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:54 pm

Senkaku wrote:

It's unfortunate you're unable to understand the difference between normative and descriptive statements

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General