NATION

PASSWORD

Trump MAGAthread VI

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 10, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Sat May 13, 2017 7:02 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:
Galloism wrote:Funny things about economics - radical changes and moderate changes can have very different effects for lots of reasons.

However, to be very specific, 300,000 jobs (taking it at face value), is less than 0.1% of Americans, and less than 0.2% of the labor force (for unemployment calculations). Meanwhile, it would remove tens of millions of Americans from welfare rolls.

It's a sacrifice - but an acceptable one. However, you go to a more reasonable adjustment of minimum wage - say $10 or $12, and you get very different results.

Abolishing welfare would also remove tens of millions of Americans from welfare rolls.

Wage slavery is great. Ayn Rand told me so.

What's that? Wage slaves have no disposable income with which to drive a capitalist economy? Nah, the market will correct for that someday.
In-character name of the nation is "Adiron," because I like the name better.

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Sat May 13, 2017 7:05 pm

Galloism wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:Abolishing welfare would also remove tens of millions of Americans from welfare rolls.

Yeah, but we decided letting people starve to death or die from lack of medical care or exposure was bad.

Mostly.

Don't you think that the hundreds of billions of dollars put into welfare would be better spent on job investment or public infrastructure?
Hoppean Libertarian, Acolyte of von Mises, Protector of Our Sacred Liberties
Economic Left/Right: 9.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05
Conserative Morality wrote:"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Hoppe."

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sat May 13, 2017 7:06 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:
Galloism wrote:Yeah, but we decided letting people starve to death or die from lack of medical care or exposure was bad.

Mostly.

Don't you think that the hundreds of billions of dollars put into welfare would be better spent on job investment or public infrastructure?

Hmm.

That's a tough one. The answer is probably "not totally" but "more" might be appropriate. It doesn't have to be all or nothing.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Patridam
Negotiator

Founded: May 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Patridam » Sat May 13, 2017 7:07 pm

Hittanryan wrote:What's that? Wage slaves have no disposable income with which to drive a capitalist economy? Nah, the market will correct for that someday.

Except for the whole thing about "nondisposable" income going to "necessities" that drive the economy just as much as discretionary purchases.... and the slow creep upwards of what is considered a necessity (telephones... refrigerators.... automobiles....computers...) until the standard of living of a "wage slave" is exceptional compared to that of the poor or even middle class in non-capitalist societies.
Lassiez Faire Capitalist / Libertarian
Past-Tech (1950s-1980s)

_[' ]_

Republican
White male, 24 yrs old
Michigan, USA
ISTJ
(-_Q)

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Sat May 13, 2017 7:08 pm

Hittanryan wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:Abolishing welfare would also remove tens of millions of Americans from welfare rolls.

Wage slavery is great. Ayn Rand told me so.

What's that? Wage slaves have no disposable income with which to drive a capitalist economy? Nah, the market will correct for that someday.

Strawman.
Galloism wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:Don't you think that the hundreds of billions of dollars put into welfare would be better spent on job investment or public infrastructure?

Hmm.

That's a tough one. The answer is probably "not totally" but "more" might be appropriate. It doesn't have to be all or nothing.

We need something more specific than welfare, though. Job investment is a permanent solution and turns out more productive individuals.
Conserative Morality wrote:"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Hoppe."

Izandai
Senator

Founded: May 27, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Izandai » Sat May 13, 2017 7:08 pm

Galloism wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:Don't you think that the hundreds of billions of dollars put into welfare would be better spent on job investment or public infrastructure?

Hmm.

There's nothing saying we have to pull money from welfare to fund job investment or infrastructure either. There are other, much larger sources of money that could be tapped.
Shinkadomayaka wrote:
JUNCKS wrote:Ozzy is awesome but Jesus is awesomer

Hey, this is a church thread. No mentioning religion!

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Rambhutan wrote:
My blind porcupine takes exception to this

Your blind porcupine can read text? :blink:

Neanderthaland wrote:
Izandai wrote:I try to be a generous fuck. I'm more likely to have sex with someone more than once that way.

Although for some reason they always act insulted when I try to pay them to communicate how much I value sex.

Ism wrote:We don't dislike what Trump does because he's Trump, we dislike Trump because of what Trump does.

Fartsniffage wrote:
Telconi wrote:
Lots of people are evil, and most of them are closer to home than ISIS

Oooooh. The rare self burn.

Grenartia wrote:Authoritarianism is political sadomasochism, change my mind.
Age subject to change without notice.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sat May 13, 2017 7:09 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:We need something more specific than welfare, though. Job investment is a permanent solution and turns out more productive individuals.

To an extent - but keep in mind there's also disabled people who cannot work. We have people between jobs. We can't just leave them twisting in the wind either.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Corrian
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Sat May 13, 2017 7:09 pm

Oh yeah, Trump isn't on vacation, is he? He's speaking at Liberty College.
My Last.FM and RYM

Look on the bright side, one day you'll be dead~Street Sects

Patridam
Negotiator

Founded: May 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Patridam » Sat May 13, 2017 7:10 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:
Galloism wrote:Yeah, but we decided letting people starve to death or die from lack of medical care or exposure was bad.

Mostly.

It depends on what kind of welfare you're speaking of. Welfare that aids the elderly, like Social Security and Medicare, yes, it would be spent better almost anywhere else. Welfare that aids the poor? Depends.
Last edited by Patridam on Sat May 13, 2017 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lassiez Faire Capitalist / Libertarian
Past-Tech (1950s-1980s)

_[' ]_

Republican
White male, 24 yrs old
Michigan, USA
ISTJ
(-_Q)

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 10, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Sat May 13, 2017 7:12 pm

Izandai wrote:
Galloism wrote:Hmm.

There's nothing saying we have to pull money from welfare to fund job investment or infrastructure either. There are other, much larger sources of money that could be tapped.

Repealing the Bush tax cuts, for instance. Ending subsidies to fantastically wealthy oil companies, for instance. Order less military equipment when the military tells Congress that they don't need more equipment, for instance...
In-character name of the nation is "Adiron," because I like the name better.

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Sat May 13, 2017 7:14 pm

Hittanryan wrote:
Izandai wrote:There's nothing saying we have to pull money from welfare to fund job investment or infrastructure either. There are other, much larger sources of money that could be tapped.

Repealing the Bush tax cuts, for instance. Ending subsidies to fantastically wealthy oil companies, for instance. Order less military equipment when the military tells Congress that they don't need more equipment, for instance...

The ordering less equipment means we lose active production lines and we end up with a gutted military industrial base. Until our allies pull their collective heads of their asses and start being useful, those sorts of measures are necessary.

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Sat May 13, 2017 7:17 pm

Hittanryan wrote:
Izandai wrote:There's nothing saying we have to pull money from welfare to fund job investment or infrastructure either. There are other, much larger sources of money that could be tapped.

Raise a finger against the tax cuts and the full fury of America's private sector comes crashing down.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Sat May 13, 2017 7:18 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:
Hittanryan wrote:Repealing the Bush tax cuts, for instance. Ending subsidies to fantastically wealthy oil companies, for instance. Order less military equipment when the military tells Congress that they don't need more equipment, for instance...

Raise a finger against the tax cuts and the full fury of America's private sector comes crashing down.

How? The tax rate on the highest earners was raised and nothing happened.
Last edited by Geilinor on Sat May 13, 2017 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Sat May 13, 2017 7:20 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:Raise a finger against the tax cuts and the full fury of America's private sector comes crashing down.

How? The tax rate on the highest earners was raised and nothing happened.

Mostly from the smaller business owners, presumably, who also drive most of America's private sector to begin with.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Sat May 13, 2017 7:21 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:
Geilinor wrote:How? The tax rate on the highest earners was raised and nothing happened.

Mostly from the smaller business owners, presumably, who also drive most of America's private sector to begin with.

Small businesses were operating before the Bush tax cuts.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Izandai
Senator

Postby Izandai » Sat May 13, 2017 7:21 pm

The East Marches II wrote:
Izandai wrote:Do you know what consumer spending is? It's the exact opposite of saving. If you do know that (as I would guess you probably do) I apologise for sounding condescending, but I can't figure out how your last point makes any sense unless you think "consumer spending" is synonymous for "saving". I must be misunderstanding something, so please, tell me what.

You were assuming that an increase in wages automatically translates into an increase in consumer spending. It doesn't. You are trying to spin this as if it will be so some sort of positive for business.

Ah, I think I found the source of the disagreement. With my initial statement, I was assuming a functional economy, like the one we live in now, where an increase in disposable income generally does lead to an increase in consumer spending. Apologies for not making that clear.
Shinkadomayaka wrote:

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Rambhutan wrote:

Neanderthaland wrote:
Izandai wrote:I try to be a generous fuck. I'm more likely to have sex with someone more than once that way.

Although for some reason they always act insulted when I try to pay them to communicate how much I value sex.

Ism wrote:We don't dislike what Trump does because he's Trump, we dislike Trump because of what Trump does.

Fartsniffage wrote:
Telconi wrote:

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Sat May 13, 2017 7:23 pm

Izandai wrote:
You were assuming that an increase in wages automatically translates into an increase in consumer spending. It doesn't. You are trying to spin this as if it will be so some sort of positive for business.

Ah, I think I found the source of the disagreement. With my initial statement, I was assuming a functional economy, like the one we live in now, where an increase in disposable income generally does lead to an increase in consumer spending. Apologies for not making that clear.

Yes and that assumption is wrong because it assumes that we do have a functioning economy or that consumers are 1 dimensional and will react in a singular manner. We still haven't properly recovered from 2007/2008. It is very likely that they spend it on reducing debt burden or saving for a rainy day. That is why the overwhelming majority of studies on this subject comes up with a result of either a slight negative or no change at all.

Edit: and yet I do support increasing it for the proper reasons mentioned before
Last edited by The East Marches II on Sat May 13, 2017 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Sat May 13, 2017 7:24 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:Mostly from the smaller business owners, presumably, who also drive most of America's private sector to begin with.

Small businesses were operating before the Bush tax cuts.

Operating, yes. Naturally I believe that small businesses are entitled to all the profit they generate.
http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/cbo ... businesses

Ism
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 14, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Ism » Sat May 13, 2017 7:28 pm

Izandai wrote:Ah, I think I found the source of the disagreement. With my initial statement, I was assuming a functional economy, like the one we live in now, where an increase in disposable income generally does lead to an increase in consumer spending. Apologies for not making that clear.

Yes and that assumption is wrong because it assumes that we do have a functioning economy or that consumers are 1 dimensional and will react in a singular manner. We still haven't properly recovered from 2007/2008. It is very likely that they spend it on reducing debt burden or saving for a rainy day. That is why the overwhelming majority of studies on this subject comes up with a result of either a slight negative or no change at all.

Saving obviously does not go back into the economy, and in the short term debt payment doesn't help much either. But, in the long term, the debt has to be paid, and if a wage increase speeds that up, then wouldn't it lead, eventually, to more money going back into the economy? I suppose the issue of saving comes up again, but still, it's no better to assume everyone will save than it is everyone will spend.
Last edited by Ism on Sat May 13, 2017 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Sat May 13, 2017 7:32 pm

Ism wrote:

Saving obviously does not go back into the economy, and in the short term debt payment doesn't help much either. But, in the long term, the debt has to be paid, and if a wage increase speeds that up, then wouldn't lead, eventually, to more money going back into the economy? I suppose the issue of saving comes up again, but still, it's no better to assume everyone will save than it is everyone will spend.

If its not actually going to get the debt off their backs properly, or just goes to paying down interest, the money sits in the bank. You can argue that money gets loaned out again but then you are getting into the realm of very very airy arguments which are difficult to measure and quantify. That issue of how it will spent or whether it will be immediately spent in the economy is why so many studies end up the way they do. As Gallo's source showed and my readings/experience having studied the topic in uni, it is either slightly negative or no effect at all. I think it is worthwhile to do it anyway inspite of that. The point of minimum wage is to set a baseline level of wages for survival and (this is the key) a little bit extra money to do with as they see fit. It never had to goal of increasing spending for business benefits, if that were the goal, the way it would be done would be totally different.
Last edited by The East Marches II on Sat May 13, 2017 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ism
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 14, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Ism » Sat May 13, 2017 7:39 pm

Ism wrote:
Saving obviously does not go back into the economy, and in the short term debt payment doesn't help much either. But, in the long term, the debt has to be paid, and if a wage increase speeds that up, then wouldn't lead, eventually, to more money going back into the economy? I suppose the issue of saving comes up again, but still, it's no better to assume everyone will save than it is everyone will spend.

If its not actually going to get the debt off their backs properly, or just goes to paying down interest, the money sits in the bank. You can argue that money gets loaned out again but then you are getting into the realm of very very airy arguments which are difficult to measure and quantify. That issue of how it will spent or whether it will be immediately spent in the economy is why so many studies end up the way they do. As Gallo's source showed and my readings/experience having studied the topic in uni, it is either slightly negative or no effect at all. I think it is worthwhile to do it anyway inspite of that. The point of minimum wage is to set a baseline level of wages for survival and (this is the key) a little bit extra money to do with as they see fit. It never had to goal of increasing spending for business benefits, if that were the goal, the way it would be done would be totally different.

Fair point. And I did consider making the argument that money in the bank could be loaned out, but thought better of it. Saying its a weak argument is probably being generous.

Izandai
Senator

Postby Izandai » Sat May 13, 2017 7:49 pm

Ism wrote:

I don't think anyone was arguing that increasing the minimum wage is done to increase business profits. I was arguing that it wouldn't result in a significant decrease in business profits.
Shinkadomayaka wrote:

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Rambhutan wrote:

Neanderthaland wrote:

Fartsniffage wrote:
Telconi wrote:

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Sat May 13, 2017 7:51 pm

Izandai wrote:

I don't think anyone was arguing that increasing the minimum wage is done to increase business profits. I was arguing that it wouldn't result in a significant decrease in business profits.

I thought you were arguing that it was good because it would benefit business by increasing spending.

Izandai
Senator

Postby Izandai » Sat May 13, 2017 7:54 pm

Izandai wrote:I don't think anyone was arguing that increasing the minimum wage is done to increase business profits. I was arguing that it wouldn't result in a significant decrease in business profits.

I thought you were arguing that it was good because it would benefit business by increasing spending.

That wasn't my intention. Apologies for not being more clear.
Shinkadomayaka wrote:

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Rambhutan wrote:

Neanderthaland wrote:

Fartsniffage wrote:
Telconi wrote:

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Sat May 13, 2017 7:55 pm

Izandai wrote:

That wasn't my intention. Apologies for not being more clear.

No problem, glad it was cleared up.
Last edited by The East Marches II on Sat May 13, 2017 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General