NATION

PASSWORD

How to catch a queen Ant?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Kreigan
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kreigan » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:14 pm

Arivada wrote:I could have swore that I heard that if an ant community doesn't have a queen one of the ants proclaims itself queen and turns into one though it requires a mate(duh!) Guess I was wrong. But you still need to find one. Some species the queen does move but only during a mass migration. Be careful of the soldier ants. Depending on the species they can be vicious.

iheard somthing similiar but I also heard it wont lastl ong since the ant isnt really a queen and the colony will just die out. Also I dont think they have soldier ants or atleast not from what ive seen since they dont attack me they just scurry around the nest franticly while i try and dig it up
Kreigan Imperial Armed Forces Official Weapons supplier: Schwerpunkt

Geniasis
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 28, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Geniasis » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:14 pm

Ant colonies are a lot like trenches. So adopt WW1 strategies to counter it.
Supporter of making [citation needed] the official NSG way to say "source?"

Myrensis wrote:I say turn it into a brothel, that way Muslims and Christians can be offended together.

DaWoad wrote:nah, she only fought because, as everyone knows, the brits can't make a decent purse to save their lives and she had a VERY important shopping trip coming up!

Reichskommissariat ost wrote:Women are as good as men , I dont know why they constantly whine about things.

Euronion wrote:because how dare me ever ever try to demand rights for myself, right men, we should just lie down and let the women trample over us, let them take awa our rights, our right to vote will be next just don't say I didn't warn ou

Arthropoda Ingens
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 31, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Arthropoda Ingens » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:15 pm

Arivada wrote:I could have swore that I heard that if an ant community doesn't have a queen one of the ants proclaims itself queen and turns into one though it requires a mate(duh!) Guess I was wrong.
That works with some wasps, with naked mole rats and a number of very primitive ants (So primitive they still have fights over which one gets to be the queen) - not with yon bogstandard ant species, though.
Bright and noble bugs in space. Occasionally villainous.
Hataria: Unjustly Deleted

Arivada
Senator

Founded: Jun 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Arivada » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:15 pm

Jalkil wrote:I think some people mentioned that you have to wait until spring. Could be wrong, I am by no means an expert.

That's just the advisable, that's when they are mating. I am as well far from an expert but if you dig deep enough(get a good shovel, heck get one of those military E-tools, sharper edges so easier to dig, main downside is it is only 26 inches) The queen will probably be pretty deep but she's down there.
Army-40,000,000
National Guard-5,000,000
Marine Corp Rangers-5,000,000
States Milita-5,000,000
Navy-1,200 ships, 5 Million Personnel
Air Force-12,000 Planes, 5 million personnel

Enadail
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Enadail » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:15 pm

Yah, ants usually mate early spring.

Arivada
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Arivada » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:16 pm

Arthropoda Ingens wrote:
Arivada wrote:I could have swore that I heard that if an ant community doesn't have a queen one of the ants proclaims itself queen and turns into one though it requires a mate(duh!) Guess I was wrong.
That works with some wasps, with naked mole rats and a number of very primitive ants (So primitive they still have fights over which one gets to be the queen) - not with yon bogstandard ant species, though.

Well really Ants and Humans are the only ones that fight for stuff like that.
Army-40,000,000
National Guard-5,000,000
States Milita-5,000,000

Bei Song
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Bei Song » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:18 pm

Try to lure her out with the sexiest drone you can find.
The great questions of the time will not be resolved by speeches and majority decisions, but by iron and blood. ~ Otto von Bismarck

Wamitoria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wamitoria » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:18 pm

Without a queen, don't ants all work together for the common good of the farm?
Wonder where all the good posters went? Look no further!

Hurry, before the Summer Nazis show up again!

Kreigan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kreigan » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:18 pm

Site doesnt help really all it talks about is how in edinburgh ants swarmed around and terrified people.

Geniasis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Geniasis » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:18 pm

Bei Song wrote:Try to lure her out with the sexiest drone you can find.

Correction, dress up as the sexiest drone you can find.

Myrensis wrote:I say turn it into a brothel, that way Muslims and Christians can be offended together.

DaWoad wrote:nah, she only fought because, as everyone knows, the brits can't make a decent purse to save their lives and she had a VERY important shopping trip coming up!

Reichskommissariat ost wrote:Women are as good as men , I dont know why they constantly whine about things.

Euronion wrote:because how dare me ever ever try to demand rights for myself, right men, we should just lie down and let the women trample over us, let them take awa our rights, our right to vote will be next just don't say I didn't warn ou

Kreigan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kreigan » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:20 pm

Wamitoria wrote:Without a queen, don't ants all work together for the common good of the farm?

yea but they eventually die off and the farm is no longer thriving.

Wamitoria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wamitoria » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:21 pm

Kreigan wrote:
Wamitoria wrote:Without a queen, don't ants all work together for the common good of the farm?

yea but they eventually die off and the farm is no longer thriving.

^Proof that anarcho-syndicalism doesn't work. :p
Wonder where all the good posters went? Look no further!

Hurry, before the Summer Nazis show up again!

Kreigan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kreigan » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:22 pm

Geniasis wrote:Ant colonies are a lot like trenches. So adopt WW1 strategies to counter it.

Oh ok ill just go pull out the mustard gas and and atillery then bomb and gas them out, thanks.

Arivada
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Arivada » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:23 pm

Arivada wrote:
Jalkil wrote:I think some people mentioned that you have to wait until spring. Could be wrong, I am by no means an expert.

That's just the advisable, that's when they are mating. I am as well far from an expert but if you dig deep enough(get a good shovel, heck get one of those military E-tools, sharper edges so easier to dig, main downside is it is only 26 inches) The queen will probably be pretty deep but she's down there.

Essentially as I said in this post, just keep digging. Heck if you are worried about the ants killing you just burn them(WARNING: FIRE HAZARD) but you'll find her if you keep digging.
Army-40,000,000
National Guard-5,000,000
States Milita-5,000,000

Arthropoda Ingens
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Arthropoda Ingens » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:24 pm

Anyway, I looked it up. For your particular species - Lasius Niger -, swarming generally occurs in late summer, typically june to august. So if they haven't done it yet, you still have a chance to catch freshly-mated queens in the next few days. If they're not done in the next two weeks, you ain't getting one this year, though.

It is not, however, advisable to dig out the nest (And whoever suggested it to you ought to be shot): Nevermind that you're destroying an already-established colony (Not really a big deal, Lasius Niger isn't exactly endangered... More a pest. But if you do like ants, destroying an established colony seems like an odd thing to do), but the queens are, apparently, really, really hard to find - it's not just you who has problems with it, it's everyone.

Arivada
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Arivada » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:27 pm

Arthropoda Ingens wrote:Anyway, I looked it up. For your particular species - Lasius Niger -, swarming generally occurs in late summer, typically june to august. So if they haven't done it yet, you still have a chance to catch freshly-mated queens in the next few days. If they're not done in the next two weeks, you ain't getting one this year, though.

It is not, however, advisable to dig out the nest (And whoever suggested it to you ought to be shot): Nevermind that you're destroying an already-established colony (Not really a big deal, Lasius Niger isn't exactly endangered... More a pest. But if you do like ants, destroying an established colony seems like an odd thing to do), but the queens are, apparently, really, really hard to find - it's not just you who has problems with it, it's everyone.

Hey that is me you just told to get shot. Just kidding I don't mind but I really wasn't familiar with the species, I just used what I knew about other types of ants.
Army-40,000,000
National Guard-5,000,000
States Milita-5,000,000

Kreigan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kreigan » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:27 pm

Arthropoda Ingens wrote:Anyway, I looked it up. For your particular species - Lasius Niger -, swarming generally occurs in late summer, typically june to august. So if they haven't done it yet, you still have a chance to catch freshly-mated queens in the next few days. If they're not done in the next two weeks, you ain't getting one this year, though.

Do you know by chance how long they mate for like 1 whole day or like a certain amount of hours? And yeah I ddint really wanna dig it up I like ants but I thought that was the only way.

Arivada
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Arivada » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:29 pm

But how can it be that hard to find(I sound ignorant don't I?) From what I have learned over time is that any ant queen is down there, you just got to keep looking.
Army-40,000,000
National Guard-5,000,000
States Milita-5,000,000

Enadail
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Enadail » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:32 pm

Kreigan wrote:Do you know by chance how long they mate for like 1 whole day or like a certain amount of hours? And yeah I ddint really wanna dig it up I like ants but I thought that was the only way.

They mate for minutes (the literal mating). The ants will usually fly around for a few days until they mate though. Look for large rocks or jutting branches near organized colonies (assuming you know where they are) as that's where they often take off from. But from my experience, its not a big cloud of ants, more like mosquitoes in the middle of summer... you'll spot them around if you're looking for them, but its also pretty easy to overlook. What you might wanna look for is if you see ants in the air, look for patches of soft/loose dirt, as that's where the new queens will head.

Geniasis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Geniasis » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:32 pm

Kreigan wrote:
Geniasis wrote:Ant colonies are a lot like trenches. So adopt WW1 strategies to counter it.

Oh ok ill just go pull out the mustard gas and and atillery then bomb and gas them out, thanks.

It would solve that specific problem. Of course I assume that problems and solutions exist in a void and don't have any other effects on the rest of the world. That would be silly.

Kreigan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kreigan » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:32 pm

I think its a fairly new nest to so maybe they havent mated yet

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:34 pm

Geniasis wrote:
Kreigan wrote:

It would solve that specific problem. Of course I assume that problems and solutions exist in a void and don't have any other effects on the rest of the world. That would be silly.

No, no. Tanks. You have to invent tanks, then you can roll over their little myrmydon trenches and capture the queen. Fabulous.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Arthropoda Ingens
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Arthropoda Ingens » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:35 pm

Kreigan wrote:Do you know by chance how long they mate for like 1 whole day or like a certain amount of hours? And yeah I ddint really wanna dig it up I like ants but I thought that was the only way.
Usually at least two days in a row - on odd occasions (Depends on the climate), they may do so more than once a year.

Arivada wrote:But how can it be that hard to find(I sound ignorant don't I?) From what I have learned over time is that any ant queen is down there, you just got to keep looking.
Well, I'd have to guess here - I have never dug for one myself, the times I saw one was when the sidewalks were covered in them :-p But typically, if the nest's endangered, the queen tends to flee - so, that'd be a pretty obvious issue, nevermind the general complexity of a nest.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:39 pm

Arthropoda Ingens wrote:
Usually at least two days in a row - on odd occasions (Depends on the climate), they may do so more than once a year.

Arivada wrote:But how can it be that hard to find(I sound ignorant don't I?) From what I have learned over time is that any ant queen is down there, you just got to keep looking.
Well, I'd have to guess here - I have never dug for one myself, the times I saw one was when the sidewalks were covered in them :-p But typically, if the nest's endangered, the queen tends to flee - so, that'd be a pretty obvious issue, nevermind the general complexity of a nest.

Flooding, perhaps? Run a garden hose into the next for a couple of days, long enough for the water to penetrate to sanctum sanctorum and I bet the workers start hauling the larvae and queen out of there.

I still say, get a puppy.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Jalkil
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 07, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Jalkil » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:42 pm

Perhaps water her out? Throw big buckets of water on the place and then let them dig their queen out of there. Hopefully the will leave. Perhaps have a source of continuing water flowing into the ant nest? Just an idea.

Edit: Farnhamia got before me :)
Last edited by Jalkil on Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Can noone help me gain my own country?
Sell me some land!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General