NATION

PASSWORD

Anarchism

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:43 pm

The Scientific States wrote:
Merizoc wrote:Other species seem to have managed just fine without these things. Mathematics and the like aren't necessary for survival.

But it's really nice for good medicine, higher life expectancy, education, technology and the like to exist. We need mathematics and other stuff you couldn't find in a primitive society to move forward.

Not to mention, you know, survive possible extinction events.
Insert trite farewell here

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:43 pm

Scomagia wrote:
Merizoc wrote:Other species seem to have managed just fine without these things. Mathematics and the like aren't necessary for survival.

For the long-term survival and preservation of our species, yes they fucking are.

Many species have survived millions of years. That's not long term? You speak about preserving our species, and yet it comes at the cost of so many more.

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:43 pm

Merizoc wrote:
Scomagia wrote:For the long-term survival and preservation of our species, yes they fucking are.

Many species have survived millions of years. That's not long term? You speak about preserving our species, and yet it comes at the cost of so many more.

To be the pessimist, 99% of species are extinct.
| Ⓐ | Anarchist Communist | Heideggerian Marxist | Vegetarian | Bisexual | Stirnerite | Slavic/Germanic Pagan | ᛟ |
Solntsa Roshcha --- Postmodern Poyltheist
"Christianity had brutally planted the poisoned blade in the healthy, quivering flesh of all humanity; it had goaded a cold wave
of darkness with mystically brutal fury to dim the serene and festive exultation of the dionysian spirit of our pagan ancestors."
-Renzo Novatore, Verso il Nulla Creatore

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:44 pm

Scomagia wrote:
But it's really nice for good medicine, higher life expectancy, education, technology and the like to exist. We need mathematics and other stuff you couldn't find in a primitive society to move forward.

Not to mention, you know, survive possible extinction events.

Indeed. Primitivism would be terrible for the human race, and if primitivists lived in a primitive society for a while, they probably would become strongly opposed to primitivism.
Centrist, Ordoliberal, Bisexual, Agnostic, Pro Social Market Economy, Pro Labour Union, Secular Humanist, Cautious Optimist, Pro LGBT, Pro Marijuana Legalization, Pro Humanitarian Intervention etc etc.
Compass
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Liberal/Authoritarian: -6.62
Political Stuff I Wrote
Why Pinochet and Allende were both terrible
The UKIP: A Bad Choice for Britain
Why South Africa is in a sorry state, and how it can be fixed.
Massive List of My OOC Pros and Cons
Hey, Putin! Leave Ukraine Alone!

Casita
Envoy

Founded: Oct 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Casita » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:45 pm

The New Sea Territory wrote:
Scomagia wrote:I have anarchist sympathies and I'll be the first to say that that isn't an especially good argument. The first 100,000 years of human existence had us at the mercy of disease, famine, and ignorance.

I would say that anarchism hasn't been applied very well, as an anarchist.

Now we are getting somewhere.

Would you care to go into this a bit more?
Last edited by Casita on Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:45 pm

Merizoc wrote:
Scomagia wrote:For the long-term survival and preservation of our species, yes they fucking are.

You're joking, right? 99% of all species that have ever existed on this planet are extinct. Know why? Because they didn't have space travel and extraterrestrial colonies. Yeah, it's sad that we destroy other species in our wake and it's something we should fight, but it is not an indictment of our species and it is not a reason for us to sit around and play ignorantly in the mud.

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:47 pm

It's also really nice to have lots of leisure time, not have to worry about war or your financial situation, and have our environment preserved.

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:47 pm

Scomagia wrote:Not to mention, you know, survive possible extinction events.

Indeed. Primitivism would be terrible for the human race, and if primitivists lived in a primitive society for a while, they probably would become strongly opposed to primitivism.

Primitivism is, without a doubt, the single most offensive ideology in existence. Above all others it would have us doomed to extinction while we watch our end with stupid, superstitious faces.

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:48 pm

Casita wrote:
The New Sea Territory wrote:
I would say that anarchism hasn't been applied very well, as an anarchist.

Now we are getting somewhere.

Would you care to go into this a bit more?

I think the ways that people have tried to implement it (Leninism, Vanguard Party ideas) aren't effective or successful. I think the main problem is that most anarchist communities that were successful did not last do to the fact that they were in the midst of a civil strife, and lost do to military reasons, not ideological ones. For example, Ukraine, Spanish Republicans and the Paris Commune.

If anarchism was approached peacefully, I think we could get somewhere.
| Ⓐ | Anarchist Communist | Heideggerian Marxist | Vegetarian | Bisexual | Stirnerite | Slavic/Germanic Pagan | ᛟ |
"Christianity had brutally planted the poisoned blade in the healthy, quivering flesh of all humanity; it had goaded a cold wave
of darkness with mystically brutal fury to dim the serene and festive exultation of the dionysian spirit of our pagan ancestors."

Jamjai
Minister

Founded: Jul 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Jamjai » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:48 pm

Scomagia wrote:

Primitivism is, without a doubt, the single most offensive ideology in existence. Above all others it would have us doomed to extinction while we watch our end with stupid, superstitious faces.

you make me think of goat heads
RP: 34 million

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:49 pm

Scomagia wrote:

Everything is doomed to extinction. That's reality. You have delusions of grandeur if you think the human race will survive forever.

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:49 pm

Merizoc wrote:

It's also really nice to have lots of leisure time, not have to worry about war or your financial situation, and have our environment preserved.

Are you implying that people now don't have lots of leisure time? We have more free time than ever before. In primitive societies, all people did was hunt and gather. They couldn't have any leisure time, since they had to spend all day hunting for food and worrying about survival. Primitive societies had a lot more worries than today's society, not to mention lack of education, medicine etc.

And, we can have our environment preserved without setting back the human race 2,000 years. I, for one, think it's a giant middle finger to humanity to set back all of our advancements, progresses etc. And that's exactly what primitivism is.
Last edited by The Scientific States on Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Centrist, Ordoliberal, Bisexual, Agnostic, Pro Social Market Economy, Pro Labour Union, Secular Humanist, Cautious Optimist, Pro LGBT, Pro Marijuana Legalization, Pro Humanitarian Intervention etc etc.
Compass
Political Stuff I Wrote

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:50 pm

Can you guys discuss primitivism's stupidity elsewhere? I know it's dumb, but this is the Anarchist thread.

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:50 pm

Merizoc wrote:
Scomagia wrote:Primitivism is, without a doubt, the single most offensive ideology in existence. Above all others it would have us doomed to extinction while we watch our end with stupid, superstitious faces.

Everything is doomed to extinction. That's reality. You have delusions of grandeur if you think the human race will survive forever.

No, it's called idealism. We won't survive forever, but if we keep advancing, and eventually explore the vastness of space, we can survive a lot longer.
Compass
Political Stuff I Wrote

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:52 pm

Merizoc wrote:

You know what else is nice? Not dying in childbirth, or catching measles, or mumps, or rubella, or diphtheria, or rabies, or polio. Not being sacrificed by superstitious morons is nice too. Above all, though, I'd say the nicest thing in the world would be the continued existence of the only known intelligent race in the universe.

Casita
Envoy

Founded: Oct 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Casita » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:52 pm

Scomagia wrote:

I used to be an actual primitivist. And I agree that millions would die if it were forced on the world. However, as I see it, there's no problem with primitivism as a personal choice.

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:53 pm

Scomagia wrote:

I think the same thing.

I think it's nothing more than a giant middle finger to all of human progress, advancement, and the future of the human race.
Compass
Political Stuff I Wrote

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:53 pm

Casita wrote:
Scomagia wrote:Primitivism is, without a doubt, the single most offensive ideology in existence. Above all others it would have us doomed to extinction while we watch our end with stupid, superstitious faces.

I used to be an actual primitivist. And I agree that millions would die if it were forced on the world. However, as I see it, there's no problem with primitivism as a personal choice.

Yeah. It's kinda like religion. I think its stupid, but if you aren't harming anyone else I really don't care.

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:54 pm

Merizoc wrote:It's also really nice to have lots of leisure time, not have to worry about war or your financial situation, and have our environment preserved.

Are you implying that people now don't have lots of leisure time? We have more free time than ever before. In primitive societies, all people did was hunt and gather. They couldn't have any leisure time, since they had to spend all day hunting for food and worrying about survival. Primitive societies had a lot more worries than today's society, not to mention lack of education, medicine etc.

I suggest you read this, if that's your view on things.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Working_time#Hunter-gatherer
Since the 1960s, the consensus among anthropologists, historians, and sociologists has been that early hunter-gatherer societies enjoyed more leisure time than is permitted by capitalist and agrarian societies; For instance, one camp of !Kung Bushmen was estimated to work two-and-a-half days per week, at around 6 hours a day. Aggregated comparisons show that on average the working day was less than five hours

Lexicor
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Lexicor » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:55 pm

What makes you think you need a state to achieve these things?
"The less one knows about the Civil War the more likely one is to think the North fought to free the slaves."
"As hours worked by an individual approaches zero, the probability of engagement in political activism approaches one."
"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of the mention of inter-sectional group identities approaches one."

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:55 pm

Scomagia wrote:
Merizoc wrote:It's also really nice to have lots of leisure time, not have to worry about war or your financial situation, and have our environment preserved.

You know what else is nice? Not dying in childbirth, or catching measles, or mumps, or rubella, or diphtheria, or rabies, or polio. Not being sacrificed by superstitious morons is nice too. Above all, though, I'd say the nicest thing in the world would be the continued existence of the only known intelligent race in the universe.

[citation needed]

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:55 pm

Merizoc wrote:

I suggest you read this, if that's your view on things.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Working_time#Hunter-gatherer
Since the 1960s, the consensus among anthropologists, historians, and sociologists has been that early hunter-gatherer societies enjoyed more leisure time than is permitted by capitalist and agrarian societies; For instance, one camp of !Kung Bushmen was estimated to work two-and-a-half days per week, at around 6 hours a day. Aggregated comparisons show that on average the working day was less than five hours

One tribe in Namibia's amount of leisure time=/=The leisure time ancient hunter gatherers had.
Compass
Political Stuff I Wrote

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:56 pm

The New Sea Territory wrote:Can you guys discuss primitivism's stupidity elsewhere? I know it's dumb, but this is the Anarchist thread.

Anarcho-primitivism. It's a type of anarchy.

The Scientific States
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The Scientific States » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:56 pm

Lexicor wrote:

What makes you think you need a state to achieve these things?

I never said that. I'm saying that we can't have primitivism if you want those things.

Although, I also think you need a state to achieve those things, but I never said that in my post.
Compass
Political Stuff I Wrote

Seriong
Minister

Founded: Aug 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Seriong » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:56 pm

My contention with anarchy is mostly that it simply results in an entity acting in the same manner as a state, yet being called something else. So the decider of issues might be called an 'elder' or 'chief' or said to be rotating, but it still functions identically to the state.
Lunalia wrote:
The Independent States wrote:Um, perhaps you haven't heard that mercury poisons people? :palm:

Perhaps you've heard that chlorine is poisonous and sodium is a volatile explosive?

Drawkland wrote:I think it delegitimizes true cases of sexual assault, like real dangerous cases being dismissed, "Oh it's only sexual assault"
Like racism. If everything's "racist," then you can't tell what really is racist.

Murkwood wrote:As a trans MtF Bi Pansexual Transautistic CAMAB Demiplatonic Asensual Better-Abled Planetkin Singlet Afro-Centric Vegan Socialist Therian, I'm immune from criticism.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General