NATION

PASSWORD

LGBT Rights & Issues Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Fascist Russian Empire
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Fascist Russian Empire » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:05 am

-The Unified Earth Governments- wrote:IIR not all of them owned slaves and the issue with taxes was that they lacked proper representation and that the taxes of the time were too high, not taxes in of themselves.

"Waaaah! Taxes are too high! If you don't lower taxes, I'm going to throw a revolution!"

Yeah, very admirable people, they were. Oh, wait, criminals are bad people, that's right...

Either way, worshiping the "Founding fathers" is stupid. Their opinions mean absolutely fuck-all; they were traitors and tax evaders, and they should be condemned, not glorified.

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:10 am

Respawn wrote:
Othelos wrote:Marriage is a right, so hence, SSM is too.

Not exactly true. The European Court of Human Rights has addressed this.

The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, which is binding international law, considers it a right, or at least it seems that way to me.
~~~~~~~~
We are currently 33% through the Trump administration.
................................................................................................................................................................................................................
................................................................................................................................................................................................................

-The Unified Earth Governments-
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby -The Unified Earth Governments- » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:14 am

Fascist Russian Empire wrote:
-The Unified Earth Governments- wrote:IIR not all of them owned slaves and the issue with taxes was that they lacked proper representation and that the taxes of the time were too high, not taxes in of themselves.

"Waaaah! Taxes are too high! If you don't lower taxes, I'm going to throw a revolution!"

Yeah, very admirable people, they were. Oh, wait, criminals are bad people, that's right...

Either way, worshiping the "Founding fathers" is stupid. Their opinions mean absolutely fuck-all; they were traitors and tax evaders, and they should be condemned, not glorified.

I don't agree whatsoever about them being bad, but you are right, they shouldn't be worshiped, their fallible men who as as flawed as any other worshiping men in any sorta way is just silly.
FactbookHistoryColoniesEmbassy Program V.IIUNSC Navy (WIP)InfantryAmmo Mods
/// A.N.N. \\\
News - 10/27/2558: Deglassing of Reach is going smoother than expected. | First prototype laser rifle is beginning experimentation. | The Sangheili Civil War is officially over, Arbiter Thel'Vadam and his Swords of Sanghelios have successfully eliminated remaining Covenant cells on Sanghelios. | President Ruth Charet to hold press meeting within the hour on the end of the Sangheili Civil War. | The Citadel Council official introduces the Unggoy as a member of the Citadel.

The Most Important Issue Result - "Robosexual marriages are increasingly common."

Oneracon
Senator

Founded: Jul 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Oneracon » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:17 am

Wisconsin9 wrote:
Respawn wrote:Not exactly true. The European Court of Human Rights has addressed this.

The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, which is binding international law, considers it a right, or at least it seems that way to me.

The UDHR is not binding, I believe you are confusing it with the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights.

The ICCPR does still state that "The right of men and women of marriageable age to marry and to found a family shall be recognized." (Article 23) and "Each State Party to the present Covenant undertakes to respect and to ensure to all individuals within its territory and subject to its jurisdiction the rights recognized in the present Covenant, without distinction of any kind, such as race, colour, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status." (Article 2)
Compass
Economic Left/Right: -8.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.72
Oneracon IC Links
Factbook
Embassies

"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power"
Pro:LGBTQ+ rights, basic income, secularism, gun control, internet freedom, civic nationalism, non-military national service, independent Scotland, antifa
Anti: Social conservatism, laissez-faire capitalism, NuAtheism, PETA, capital punishment, Putin, SWERF, TERF, GamerGate, "Alt-right" & neo-Nazism, Drumpf, ethnic nationalism, "anti-PC", pineapple on pizza

Your resident Canadian neutral good socdem graduate student.

*Here, queer, and not a prop for your right-wing nonsense.*

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:19 pm

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/wisconsin-gay-marriage-ban-struck-down-n124831

A federal judge struck down Wisconsin's ban on same-sex marriage on Friday, ruling it unconstitutional.

I'm whooping and laughing and yelling hurtful things at state Republicans. All in my head, of course.

Oneracon wrote:
Wisconsin9 wrote:The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, which is binding international law, considers it a right, or at least it seems that way to me.

The UDHR is not binding, I believe you are confusing it with the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights.

The ICCPR does still state that "The right of men and women of marriageable age to marry and to found a family shall be recognized." (Article 23) and "Each State Party to the present Covenant undertakes to respect and to ensure to all individuals within its territory and subject to its jurisdiction the rights recognized in the present Covenant, without distinction of any kind, such as race, colour, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status." (Article 2)

Ah. My bad.
~~~~~~~~
We are currently 33% through the Trump administration.

Mons Garle
Envoy

Founded: Mar 15, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Mons Garle » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:07 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/wisconsin-gay-marriage-ban-struck-down-n124831

A federal judge struck down Wisconsin's ban on same-sex marriage on Friday, ruling it unconstitutional.

I'm whooping and laughing and yelling hurtful things at state Republicans. All in my head, of course.

Always nice to hear good news on the equality front over the pond :clap:
Democratically Elected Delegate of the Social Liberal Union

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:21 pm

Grenartia wrote:

Cast your bets on when we'll get a response!

I call sometime in May, probably the 22nd.

Well fuck.

When the hell are we getting a response to it?
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Chedastan
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 25, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Chedastan » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:37 pm

Grenartia wrote:
Grenartia wrote:
Cast your bets on when we'll get a response!

I call sometime in May, probably the 22nd.

Well fuck.

Eventually, I mean they have to respond to it since it reached the amount of signatures needed.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:41 pm

Chedastan wrote:
Grenartia wrote:
Well fuck.

Eventually, I mean they have to respond to it since it reached the amount of signatures needed.

Yeah, but there's no guarantee of when they will.

I mean, ffs, it could be 2 years. Maybe we need to start a petition to for an immediate response, or at least an acknowledgement of it, along with a timetable for a response.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.

The Remnants of Kobol
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Remnants of Kobol » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:46 pm

Fabulous Rainicorns wrote:
Grenartia wrote:
You should see what I roll to determine my gender identity.

They don't make a dice with enough sides for what I roll for mine.

I've seen a D100 before...
Natum a bellum cinis.

Military Commander of the USGP
Never forget the USG
The USGP
Army: 35,856,000 Infantry Available for Homeworlds Defense (6,754,000 active)
Navy: 4 Strikestar Heavy Capital Warships, 54 Battlestars (Classes: 18 Mercury, 15 Jupiter, 21 Odin), 91 Gunstars
Marine Corps: 936,265 Marines
Expeditionary Forces: 2,573,958 explorers and settlers. 5 Jupiter Class Battlestars to support a fleet of transport and explorer ships.
Special Operations Command: ~12,000 Special Operations Personnel
Every able bodied/minded citizen between the ages of 18 and 35 is a member of the military, militia style. Ship numbers are less than the US Navy and spread over 13 planets.
"So Say We All."

Chedastan
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 25, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Chedastan » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:47 pm

Grenartia wrote:
Chedastan wrote:Eventually, I mean they have to respond to it since it reached the amount of signatures needed.

I mean, ffs, it could be 2 years. Maybe we need to start a petition to for an immediate response, or at least an acknowledgement of it, along with a timetable for a response.

The two latters seem like they could reasonably work. Don't know how the former would work. I mean have there been petitions that had have follow up petitions for that petition to be given a response?
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:51 pm

Chedastan wrote:
Grenartia wrote:

The two latters seem like they could reasonably work. Don't know how the former would work. I mean have there been petitions that had have follow up petitions for that petition to be given a response?

I don't know.

The Emerald Dragon
Senator

Founded: Jan 30, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dragon » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:57 pm

Basically.

'People in Liverpool don't get a vote and they pay four times as much in tax, plus we defended your cities in the French and Indian Wars"

"Waaah, 'murican priviledge trumps all"

"no"

*Starts revolution*

Admittedly, the revolution is a lot more complicated, but these are some of the basics.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:26 pm

The Emerald Dragon wrote:
Fascist Russian Empire wrote:"Waaaah! Taxes are too high! If you don't lower taxes, I'm going to throw a revolution!"

Basically.

'People in Liverpool don't get a vote and they pay four times as much in tax, plus we defended your cities in the French and Indian Wars"

"Waaah, 'murican priviledge trumps all"

"no"

*Starts revolution*

Admittedly, the revolution is a lot more complicated, but these are some of the basics.

Actually, the underlined still doesn't quite justify taxes without representation. And I'd argue most of the lead up to the revolution wasn't the taxes, but rather the poor way the British responded to the (justified) American reaction to the taxes. Basically, the British were asking for it. If they didn't want a rebellion in their prized colonies, then they shouldn't have done what they did. More flies with honey than vinegar. But no, little old George III couldn't stand any perceived "challenge" to his authority, no matter how slight, and had to throw a big temper tantrum in America over it. Basically, the only privilege that was being claimed to trump all was George III's. And he made a bet, and lost it all.

EDIT: In fact, I'd argue the whole episode is a good argument against monarchy. Because insecure, whiny cunts who shouldn't even be managing the night shift at McDonalds' inherit the throne, and fuck shit up.
Last edited by Grenartia on Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oneracon
Senator

Founded: Jul 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Oneracon » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:38 pm

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/ ... -1.2668923

An interesting news story talking about the experiences of Sara Davis Buechner, an American-born trans woman who was once a highly regarded award-winning classical pianist but was shunned by the "conservative concert scene" after she came out in 1998 and began living as a woman.
Compass
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.72
Oneracon IC Links
Factbook
Embassies

"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power"
Pro:LGBTQ+ rights, basic income, secularism, gun control, internet freedom, civic nationalism, non-military national service, independent Scotland, antifa
Anti: Social conservatism, laissez-faire capitalism, NuAtheism, PETA, capital punishment, Putin, SWERF, TERF, GamerGate, "Alt-right" & neo-Nazism, Drumpf, ethnic nationalism, "anti-PC", pineapple on pizza

Your resident Canadian neutral good socdem graduate student.

*Here, queer, and not a prop for your right-wing nonsense.*

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:04 pm

Oneracon wrote:http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/transgender-pianist-shunned-in-u-s-gets-encore-in-edmonton-1.2668923

An interesting news story talking about the experiences of Sara Davis Buechner, an American-born trans woman who was once a highly regarded award-winning classical pianist but was shunned by the "conservative concert scene" after she came out in 1998 and began living as a woman.

I want to give that woman the biggest hug ever.

Wintersdown
Attaché

Founded: Apr 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Wintersdown » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:22 pm

Oneracon wrote:http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/transgender-pianist-shunned-in-u-s-gets-encore-in-edmonton-1.2668923

That's a really wonderful story, I'm really proud of her.
"The so-called Beat Generation was a whole bunch of people, of all different nationalities, who came to the conclusion that society sucked." - Amiri Baraka
71% Repub
68% Demo
67% Green
61% Liber
27% Social

I don't know! If you want me to label myself I guess I'd be like economically republican and socially liberal, if that makes any sense.
fabulously lesbian & Taken ^w^, casual writer, druid, classic rock fan (but I'm also sort of picky),and a reader. WTNV + TAH listener

I love Shakespeare. Much Ado, Hamlet, Macbeth.

I adore Ginsberg, Kerouac, and Burroughs. I love the beat generation and always will.

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:44 am

Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

New Bethlehem
Spokesperson

Founded: May 29, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby New Bethlehem » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:00 am

Wisconsin9 wrote:
Respawn wrote:Not exactly true. The European Court of Human Rights has addressed this.

Universal Declaration of Human Rights?! More like 'Universal Declaration of Screw Independence and States Rights'!

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:18 am

Not to mention that they disagreed with each other on literally everything. There seems to be a strange tendency to think of them as a homogeneous group, when they really weren't.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Thafoo
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Thafoo » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:23 am

New Bethlehem wrote:
Wisconsin9 wrote:The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, which is binding international law, considers it a right, or at least it seems that way to me.

Universal Declaration of Human Rights?! More like 'Universal Declaration of Screw Independence and States Rights'!

HAH! THAT WAS CLEVER. YOU'RE CLEVER.

Except, you know, several countries were signatories to the UDHR and therefore were agreeing to its clauses which in turn obligates them to abide by them.
Last edited by Thafoo on Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Edlichbury
Minister

Founded: Aug 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Edlichbury » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:32 am

New Bethlehem wrote:

Why exactly does a state deserve more rights than an actual person?

Liriena
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Liriena » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:36 am

New Bethlehem wrote:

That's cute.
be gay do crime

I am:
A pansexual, pantheist, green socialist
An aspiring writer and journalist
Political compass stuff:
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.92
For: Grassroots democracy, workers' self-management, humanitarianism, pacifism, pluralism, environmentalism, interculturalism, indigenous rights, minority rights, LGBT+ rights, feminism, optimism
Against: Nationalism, authoritarianism, fascism, conservatism, populism, violence, ethnocentrism, racism, sexism, religious bigotry, anti-LGBT+ bigotry, death penalty, neoliberalism, tribalism,
cynicism

⚧Copy and paste this in your sig
if you passed biology and know
gender and sex aren't the same thing.⚧

I disown most of my previous posts

Degenerate Heart of HetRio
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Degenerate Heart of HetRio » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:34 pm

New Bethlehem wrote:Universal Declaration of Human Rights?! More like 'Universal Declaration of Screw Independence and States Rights'!

States rights? Conservative Americans, nobody cares.
Pro: Communism/anarchism, Indigenous rights, MOGAI stuff, bodily autonomy, disability rights, environmentalism
Meh: Animal rights, non-harmful religion/superstition, militant atheism, left-leaning reform of capitalism
Anti: Dyadic superstructure (sex-gender birth designation and hierarchy), positivism, conservatism, imperialism, Zionism, Orientalism, fascism, religious right, bending to reactionary concerns before freedom/common concern, fraudulent beliefs and ideologies

Formerly "Hetalian Indie Rio de Janeiro".

Compass: -10.00, -9.13
S-E Ideology: Demc. Socialist (92% ditto/Marxist, 75% Anarchist/Social democrat, 0% etc)
S-E school of thought: Communist (100% ditto, 96% Post-Keynesian)

Though this says I'm a social democrat, I'm largely a left communist.

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:06 pm

New Bethlehem wrote:

Except that it only applies to States signatory, or are you suggesting they don't have a right to sign treaties?
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General