NATION

PASSWORD

The term African-American.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Utceforp
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 10, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Utceforp » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:18 pm

Breadknife wrote:You should be only be called "Latin American" if you primarly speak Latin.

*nodnod*

Most people who are considered "Latin American" are those who speak derivatives of Vulgar Latin, and therefore speak a variety of Latin.

Of course, that definition would include French Americans as "Latin Americans", so no matter how you slice it, calling people "Latin Americans" is just an arbitrary and perhaps subtly racist way to differentiate "furr'ners" from white people.
Signatures are so 2014.

Icamera
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Icamera » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:52 pm

Utceforp wrote:
Breadknife wrote:You should be only be called "Latin American" if you primarly speak Latin.

*nodnod*

Most people who are considered "Latin American" are those who speak derivatives of Vulgar Latin, and therefore speak a variety of Latin.

Of course, that definition would include French Americans as "Latin Americans", so no matter how you slice it, calling people "Latin Americans" is just an arbitrary and perhaps subtly racist way to differentiate "furr'ners" from white people.

Actually, I think the concept of "Latin America" came about for the opposite reason. If I recall correctly, France created the term in an attempt to say "Hey, Mexico, we have so much in common. Let's be friends!" Arbitrary, yes; meant to differentiate, not so much.
Senator of The Allied Republics
ICK-uh-MARE-uh (It's an anagram of America, not an Apple product)
(See here for all)
Rynatia wrote:If I asked you to sleep with me would you answer with the same answer to this question?

Great Zavi
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Zavi » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:55 pm

Icamera wrote:
Utceforp wrote:Most people who are considered "Latin American" are those who speak derivatives of Vulgar Latin, and therefore speak a variety of Latin.

Actually, I think the concept of "Latin America" came about for the opposite reason. If I recall correctly, France created the term in an attempt to say "Hey, Mexico, we have so much in common. Let's be friends!" Arbitrary, yes; meant to differentiate, not so much.

This isnt the thread to be discussing this.
From The Office Of,
Dr. Xavier M II

General Assembly Ambassador of
Azarite Ministry of Foreign Affairs
GZ Info
Request from the Great Zavi people:Please, help REPEAL "Clean Prostitute Act."

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:57 pm

Great Zavi wrote:On surveys where they ask your ethnicity, as a description for White, they have European descent and North African.

I don't know what surveys you have seen where ethnicities are listed like such or why, but this is not the case. In any case, no one can really be called "North African" except for maybe the Berbers and other native inhabitants.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

God Kefka
Senator

Founded: Aug 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby God Kefka » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:36 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:
God Kefka wrote:
what's a chav?

The other ones are pretty close to my stereotypes too...

I can't think about Australia without thinking of the Crocodile Hunter. I'm sure the average person in Sydney doesn't go mucking around wrestling crocodiles, but that's still the first mental image that comes to mind.

You might be surprised ;)
Art thread
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=261761

''WAIT?! Do I look like a waiter to you?''

Crimiea
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Crimiea » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:53 pm

I don't understand why we use the term African-American when they are more American than African. American culture has a lot of "Black" influence, from our music to our history, followed by one of the most famous American dishes: Fried Chicken, Hashpuppies, and Cornbread.

They are no more or less American than a "Mixed Race" or a "White" American. The United States is a melting pot, so we should stop being obsessed with a person's race and instead actually act like we're a melting pot.
We are this Crimea|Political Compass
Greatest political ad since 2011|¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Should've pick the Jew, Antisemitic Hillbots
University student, 22, American, Independent voter, ESTJ, aspiring professor.

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:15 pm

God Kefka wrote:
Nazi Flower Power wrote:
I can't think about Australia without thinking of the Crocodile Hunter. I'm sure the average person in Sydney doesn't go mucking around wrestling crocodiles, but that's still the first mental image that comes to mind.

You might be surprised ;)

Well, someday I would like to visit Sydney and see for myself.

It will probably be a while, though.
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Cetacea
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cetacea » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:16 am

Crimiea wrote:I don't understand why we use the term African-American when they are more American than African. American culture has a lot of "Black" influence, from our music to our history, followed by one of the most famous American dishes: Fried Chicken, Hashpuppies, and Cornbread.

They are no more or less American than a "Mixed Race" or a "White" American. The United States is a melting pot, so we should stop being obsessed with a person's race and instead actually act like we're a melting pot.

Hashpuppies and cornbread are actually Native American foods which along with Hominy, grits boiled peanuts and hickory bbq (including bbq chicken) were adopted as Southern food by the later settlers both white and black. Corn is a clue....

Libertarian California
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Libertarian California » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:52 am

Yankeesse wrote:
Libertarian California wrote:
But Afrikaners are no more Dutch than Americans are British.

Except if your a WASP they are.

Boers are far more homogeneous than Americans.

Jesus Christ. Where the fuck have you been?

Anyways, that is a sad truth.
I'm a trans-beanstalk giantkin. My pronouns are fee/fie/foe/fum.

American nationalist

I am the infamous North California (DEATed 11/13/12). Now in the NS "Hall of Fame", or whatever
(Add 2137 posts)

On the American Revolution
Everyone should watch this video

Crimiea
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Crimiea » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:54 am

Cetacea wrote:
Crimiea wrote:I don't understand why we use the term African-American when they are more American than African. American culture has a lot of "Black" influence, from our music to our history, followed by one of the most famous American dishes: Fried Chicken, Hashpuppies, and Cornbread.

Hashpuppies and cornbread are actually Native American foods which along with Hominy, grits boiled peanuts and hickory bbq (including bbq chicken) were adopted as Southern food by the later settlers both white and black. Corn is a clue....

I see.
I look at Cornbread as a part of Soul Food, which is associated with the cuisine of American slaves.

Also, just because it's corn doesn't mean it's entirely Native American, it could be a dish made up by later immigrants to the US who use Native American's crops for their newly made cuisine. However, given that I've looked into what you've said and actually proved you right, I have nothing to rebuttal since you're right.

Thanks for the info.
We are this Crimea|Political Compass
Greatest political ad since 2011|¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Should've pick the Jew, Antisemitic Hillbots
University student, 22, American, Independent voter, ESTJ, aspiring professor.

Valica
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Valica » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:49 am

Personally, I think black people should just be called ebony, and white people should be called ivory.
It's much more verbally pleasing than black and white.
I think making the titles less of a contrast and more of a compliment could help dissolve racism.

But as of now, I will not use the term African-American unless they were born in Africa and came here.
If you were born in America, you are American. Your race is black, white, hispanic, asian, etc.
I won't call black people African-American until they call me European-American.

Even still, I deny that title.
Last edited by Valica on Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
I'm a cis-het male. Ask me about my privilege.

Valica is like America with a very conservative economy and a liberal social policy.

Population - 750,500,000

Army - 3,250,500
Navy - 2,000,000
Special Forces - 300,000

5 districts
20 members per district in the House of Representatives
10 members per district in the Senate

Political affiliation - Centrist / Humanist

Religion - Druid

For: Privacy, LGBT Equality, Cryptocurrencies, Free Web, The Middle Class, One-World Government

Against: Nationalism, Creationism, Right to Segregate, Fundamentalism, ISIS, Communism
( -4.38 | -4.31 )
"If you don't use Linux, you're doing it wrong."

Great Zavi
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Zavi » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:06 am

Valica wrote:Personally, I think black people should just be called ebony, and white people should be called ivory.
It's much more verbally pleasing than black and white.
I think making the titles less of a contrast and more of a compliment could help dissolve racism.

But as of now, I will not use the term African-American unless they were born in Africa and came here.
If you were born in America, you are American. Your race is black, white, hispanic, asian, etc.
I won't call black people African-American until they call me European-American.

Even still, I deny that title.

I agree.

And I like the terms Ebony and Ivory; very pretty. However, interestingly enough, I'm half black (Look more black than anything though) and people have referred to my skin color as ivory before.
From The Office Of,
Dr. Xavier M II

GZ Info

Chinese Regions
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Chinese Regions » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:07 am

OMGeverynameistaken wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:racism.

or whatever the real word would be when its ethnicism but of course Hispanics are not all of the same ethnicity.

we like to make a big deal out of whatever immigrant group is big right now in climbing numbers. we did it with various European groups in the past--irish, german, jewish, etc. now we are doing it with Spanish speaking people from the Americas.

its not a great fit as you already know for various reasons that you already know. but its what we do.

Last I heard applying the term 'Hispanic' to Latin Americans was considered politically incorrect in some circles, since many Latin Americans consider their connections to Spain rather minimal.

It's not a matter of racism or ethnicism, but recognition of the fact that Latin Americans are a mix of Hispanic and Native American, rather than being 'pure hispanic'.

I am aware some, maybe a majority have native American DNA, but not all of them.
Fan of Transformers?|Fan of Star Trek?|你会说中文吗?
Geopolitics: Internationalist, Pan-Asian, Pan-African, Pan-Arab, Pan-Slavic, Eurofederalist,
  • For the promotion of closer ties between Europe and Russia but without Dugin's anti-intellectual quackery.
  • Against NATO, the Anglo-American "special relationship", Israel and Wahhabism.

Sociopolitics: Pro-Intellectual, Pro-Science, Secular, Strictly Anti-Theocractic, for the liberation of PoCs in Western Hemisphere without the hegemony of white liberals
Economics: Indifferent

Great Zavi
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Zavi » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:07 am

Crimiea wrote:
Cetacea wrote:

I see.
I look at Cornbread as a part of Soul Food, which is associated with the cuisine of American slaves.

Also, just because it's corn doesn't mean it's entirely Native American, it could be a dish made up by later immigrants to the US who use Native American's crops for their newly made cuisine. However, given that I've looked into what you've said and actually proved you right, I have nothing to rebuttal since you're right.

Thanks for the info.

despite one inconsistency, your original point was valid. I dont see a reason, or point to go into meticulous detail.
From The Office Of,
Dr. Xavier M II

GZ Info

Chinese Regions
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Chinese Regions » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:08 am

Utceforp wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:racism.

or whatever the real word would be when its ethnicism but of course Hispanics are not all of the same ethnicity.

we like to make a big deal out of whatever immigrant group is big right now in climbing numbers. we did it with various European groups in the past--irish, german, jewish, etc. now we are doing it with Spanish speaking people from the Americas.

its not a great fit as you already know for various reasons that you already know. but its what we do.

Whenever a large group of "furrners" of European descent moves into the US, people try to claim they're not white. It happened with the Irish, and it's happening with "Latinos".

Didn'y the Spanish come to the Americas (including what is now the USA) before the Irish did?
Geopolitics: Internationalist, Pan-Asian, Pan-African, Pan-Arab, Pan-Slavic, Eurofederalist,
  • For the promotion of closer ties between Europe and Russia but without Dugin's anti-intellectual quackery.
  • Against NATO, the Anglo-American "special relationship", Israel and Wahhabism.

Sociopolitics: Pro-Intellectual, Pro-Science, Secular, Strictly Anti-Theocractic, for the liberation of PoCs in Western Hemisphere without the hegemony of white liberals

Great Zavi
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Zavi » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:10 am

Chinese Regions wrote:
OMGeverynameistaken wrote:Last I heard applying the term 'Hispanic' to Latin Americans was considered politically incorrect in some circles, since many Latin Americans consider their connections to Spain rather minimal.

It's not a matter of racism or ethnicism, but recognition of the fact that Latin Americans are a mix of Hispanic and Native American, rather than being 'pure hispanic'.

I am aware some, maybe a majority have native American DNA, but not all of them.

It's safe to say that every Hispanic/Latino person has some degree of Native American and African blood in them. There's no pure Hispanic because Hispanic in itself is a mix.
From The Office Of,
Dr. Xavier M II

GZ Info

Alimprad
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Alimprad » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:15 am

why do people always have to see some sort of racist, prejudice in anything that hints at differences in people? the term african-american clearly describes someone who is american (speaks with the accent, lives there, and is used to there customs), but is also of african origin (has different skin colour and family history), where's the racist attack in that?
_[`]_ Help this fine gentleman gain world domination by putting him in your signiture, screw the bunny!
(-_Q)
the sun may set, but never shall the empire of alimprad

political compass:
left/right:-0.62
authoritarian/libertarian:5.44
Conservative/Neo-conservative:5.74
Cultural liberal/cultural conservative:7.2

Great Zavi
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Zavi » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:16 am

Alimprad wrote:why do people always have to see some sort of racist, prejudice in anything that hints at differences in people? the term african-american clearly describes someone who is american (speaks with the accent, lives there, and is used to there customs), but is also of african origin (has different skin colour and family history), where's the racist attack in that?

When did I ever describe it as racist? I'm only saying it isn't accurate.
From The Office Of,
Dr. Xavier M II

GZ Info

Chinese Regions
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Chinese Regions » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:13 am

Great Zavi wrote:
Chinese Regions wrote:I am aware some, maybe a majority have native American DNA, but not all of them.

It's safe to say that every Hispanic/Latino person has some degree of Native American and African blood in them. There's no pure Hispanic because Hispanic in itself is a mix.

Even "Hispanic" people with the least Melanin are not considered one with Americans of Irish or German descent because of their language and/or name.

Great Zavi
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Zavi » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:32 am

Chinese Regions wrote:
Great Zavi wrote:It's safe to say that every Hispanic/Latino person has some degree of Native American and African blood in them. There's no pure Hispanic because Hispanic in itself is a mix.

Even "Hispanic" people with the least Melanin are not considered one with Americans of Irish or German descent because of their language and/or name.

What are you trying to prove?
From The Office Of,
Dr. Xavier M II

GZ Info

Breadknife
Minister

Founded: Jul 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Breadknife » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:42 am

Great Zavi wrote:
Chinese Regions wrote:Even "Hispanic" people with the least Melanin are not considered one with Americans of Irish or German descent because of their language and/or name.

What are you trying to prove?

I initially read it as akin to saying "If you pronounce your first name along the lines of 'Hay-suus', you've probably not got the surname 'O'Flaherty' or 'Schmitt', no matter how much your suntan matches that of someone who has". But I may have have missed some connotation or other, along the way.
Ceci n'est pas une griffe.

Utceforp
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 10, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Utceforp » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:02 pm

Chinese Regions wrote:
Utceforp wrote:Whenever a large group of "furrners" of European descent moves into the US, people try to claim they're not white. It happened with the Irish, and it's happening with "Latinos".

Didn'y the Spanish come to the Americas (including what is now the USA) before the Irish did?

And that's the real irony. Most Latinos are a mixture of Native American and Spanish. The southwestern US was in the hands of the natives first, the Spanish second and the USA third, and yet when Latinos try to immigrate into the southwestern US, they're deemed foreigners or invaders.
Signatures are so 2014.

Shaggai
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shaggai » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:26 pm

The reason the term exists is because it's actually politically important. They're the largest minority in the US, and the one with the most history of being oppressed. And since racism still exists, ignoring it wouldn't work. If everyone ignored race, that would be great. Unfortunately, racists don't.
piss

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:57 pm

It's a tad presumtious, as the person in question could be British born and of Jamaican decent.
Lurking NSG since 2005
Economic Left/Right: -2.62, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67

When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 26, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tekania » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:15 pm

Eh you're thing about some of the others are a bit off too.... many who have been born here, even multiple generations get called or billed as "Mexican American" for example. Gabriel Iglesias even had to joke about it saying he had to travel all the way to the middle east to get called an "American" comedian as opposed to a "Mexican American" Comedian.

It pretty much seems that if you're not white you tend to get a hyphenated (whatever)-American.

I dislike it myself. If you were not born somewhere else and immigrated here, then you're American".... Or we can just all start doing it:
I'm a Native-French-Irish-English-American
Such heroic nonsense!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General