NATION

PASSWORD

Hawaii has legalized same sex marriage

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Shershah
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shershah » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:02 pm

Franklin Delano Bluth wrote:
Shershah wrote:
So, what you just provided as a source is irrelevant and redundant. Ty for not making me waste my time.

No, the source I provided is quite relevant. It helps to answer the question you should have asked.

But not the one i did. Hence redundant.

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 26, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tekania » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:02 pm

Shershah wrote:
Tekania wrote:I don't have a problem with the doing it at all if they want to. I don't, however expect to be forced to do it myself because they think it's "tradition", and I don't expect them to be able to stop someone from doing it to their ear simply because someone else things the lip is the traditional one.

But what you are proposing is that you want to pierce your lip and call it the same thing as putting a clay disk on it.

Yes... nothing wrong with that. We have an amendable legal system which is dynamic and capable of readily adapting to that for the purpose of codifying civil law and encompassing multiple things within a single paradigm. Our western word marriage is such a one, the word is etymologically descendent from a french nautical term "merrier" which was used to describe the process of interweaving two ropes so as to make a single rope. As such the term came to apply to the legal principals of the same with marriage where two people are combined into a single person in much of a legal sense. Whether these two people are a man and a woman ,two men, two women is ultimately immaterial to the imagery the etymological roots of the word portray.

Language is a very adaptable thing, and is capable of handling this just fine.
Such heroic nonsense!

Shershah
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Shershah » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:04 pm

Tekania wrote:
Shershah wrote:
But what you are proposing is that you want to pierce your lip and call it the same thing as putting a clay disk on it.

Yes... nothing wrong with that. We have an amendable legal system which is dynamic and capable of readily adapting to that for the purpose of codifying civil law and encompassing multiple things within a single paradigm. Our western word marriage is such a one, the word is etymologically descendent from a french nautical term "merrier" which was used to describe the process of interweaving two ropes so as to make a single rope. As such the term came to apply to the legal principals of the same with marriage where two people are combined into a single person in much of a legal sense. Whether these two people are a man and a woman ,two men, two women is ultimately immaterial to the imagery the etymological roots of the word portray.

And nothing wrong with differentiating things for the sake of classification. We already do so based on sex, gender, race, nationality, age and alot of things.

Othelos
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Othelos » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:09 pm

Shershah wrote:
Tekania wrote:

And nothing wrong with differentiating things for the sake of classification. We already do so based on sex, gender, race, nationality, age and alot of things.

I don't understand what your issue is with allowing same sex couples to marry.

So far you've argued tradition, relevancy, and "classification". Those things are all moot in the context of reality - that two consenting people who love each other should be allowed to participate in one of society's most fundamental institutions. Why does the sex of the two people matter to you so much?

Shershah
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Shershah » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:12 pm

Othelos wrote:I don't understand what your issue is with allowing same sex couples to marry.

So far you've argued tradition, relevancy, and "classification". Those things are all moot in the context of reality - that two consenting people who love each other should be allowed to participate in one of society's most fundamental institutions. Why does the sex of the two people matter to you so much?

Are you implying that tradition, relevance and classifications are all somehow unrealistic ?

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tekania » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:13 pm

Shershah wrote:
Tekania wrote:

We're not talking about classification, we're talking about legal codification. Classification only requires the addition of a clarifying term, such as when someone says "same-sex marriage", that is a classification of a type of marriage..... no legal distinction is needed (nor should be there) delineating between the two, because the concept is to convey a particular set of rights through the operation of that said civil operation. For example, our idea is not to create some separate legal term "Same-sex marriage" to do the same thing as our existing marriage laws, but merely a minor terminology change in the legal usage of the word so it encompasses a larger scope than it does at present to include the classification of same-sex persons within its paradigm.
Such heroic nonsense!

Shershah
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Shershah » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:16 pm

Tekania wrote:We're not talking about classification, we're talking about legal codification. Classification only requires the addition of a clarifying term, such as when someone says "same-sex marriage", that is a classification of a type of marriage..... no legal distinction is needed (nor should be there) delineating between the two, because the concept is to convey a particular set of rights through the operation of that said civil operation.

And i disagree.

Othelos
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Othelos » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:17 pm

Shershah wrote:
Othelos wrote:I don't understand what your issue is with allowing same sex couples to marry.

Are you implying that tradition, relevance and classifications are all somehow unrealistic ?

Not unrealistic, just cliche arguments that dance around the issue that your and others' discomfort with the concept of two same sex people participating in marriage directly affects people's lives. Why should what they do with their lives be up to you? Who are you to decide what two consenting people can do with their relationship?

And you didn't answer my question: why does the sex of the two people matter to you so much?

Shershah
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Shershah » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:23 pm

Othelos wrote:Not unrealistic, just cliche arguments that dance around the issue that your and others' discomfort with the concept of two same sex people participating in marriage directly affects people's lives. Why should what they do with their lives be up to you? Who are you to decide what two consenting people can do with their relationship?

And you didn't answer my question: why does the sex of the two people matter to you so much?

I have already answered all your question above in my posts. I am not trying to be rude or anything, I am just tired to repeat them again. That is all.

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tekania » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:26 pm

Shershah wrote:
Tekania wrote:We're not talking about classification, we're talking about legal codification. Classification only requires the addition of a clarifying term, such as when someone says "same-sex marriage", that is a classification of a type of marriage..... no legal distinction is needed (nor should be there) delineating between the two, because the concept is to convey a particular set of rights through the operation of that said civil operation.

And i disagree.

No, that's what our concept is alright.
Such heroic nonsense!

Othelos
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Othelos » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:31 pm

Shershah wrote:
Othelos wrote:Not unrealistic, just cliche arguments that dance around the issue that your and others' discomfort with the concept of two same sex people participating in marriage directly affects people's lives. Why should what they do with their lives be up to you? Who are you to decide what two consenting people can do with their relationship?

I have already answered all your question above in my posts. I am not trying to be rude or anything, I am just tired to repeat them again. That is all.

No, that's not what I mean. Why does the sex of the two people matter to you on a personal level? So far I think you've only argued from objective, impersonal standards.

Shershah
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Shershah » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:48 pm

Othelos wrote:No, that's not what I mean. Why does the sex of the two people matter to you on a personal level? So far I think you've only argued from objective, impersonal standards.

On a personal level ? I consider marriage to be something sacred. I think that is all.

Othelos
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Othelos » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:51 pm

Shershah wrote:
Othelos wrote:No, that's not what I mean. Why does the sex of the two people matter to you on a personal level? So far I think you've only argued from objective, impersonal standards.

On a personal level ? I consider marriage to be something sacred. I think that is all.

You didn't answer my question. "Marriage is sacred" is from an objective standpoint.

Why does the sex of the two people matter to you? Are they harming you? Do you think you have the right to define other people's relationships?

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:51 pm

Shershah wrote:

Marriage isn't sacred, it's legal, and the government recognizing equal rights for gay people doesn't undermine the sanctity of anything because you can take solace in the idea that your God doesn't acknowledge the government.
Impeach The Queen, Legalize Anarchy, Stealing Things Is Not Theft. Sex Pistols 2017.
I'm the evil gubmint PC inspector, here to take your Guns, outlaw your God, and steal your freedom and give it to black people.
I'm Joe Biden. So far as you know.

For: Anarchy, Punk Rock Fury
Against: Thatcher, Fascists, That Fascist Thatcher, Reagan, Nazi Punks, Everyone
"Am I buggin' ya? I don't mean to bug ya." - Bono
Let's cram some more shit in my sig. Cool people cram shit in their sigs. In TECHNICOLOR!

Shaggai
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shaggai » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:52 pm

Shershah wrote:

The US is a secular country. Religion has nothing to do with law.
piss

Shershah
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Shershah » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:53 pm

Othelos wrote:
Shershah wrote:

You didn't answer my question. "Marriage is sacred" is from an objective standpoint.

How is that from an objective standpoint ?

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tekania » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:56 pm

Frisivisia wrote:
Shershah wrote:

Marriage isn't sacred, it's legal, and the government recognizing equal rights for gay people doesn't undermine the sanctity of anything because you can take solace in the idea that your God doesn't acknowledge the government.

That's likely a confusing concept to him, as he likely stems from a pre-enlightenment civilization.
Last edited by Tekania on Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Such heroic nonsense!

Othelos
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Othelos » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:02 pm

Shershah wrote:
Othelos wrote:You didn't answer my question. "Marriage is sacred" is from an objective standpoint.

"Marriage is sacred" is from the point of view of marriage. Not from your view.

Whether or not marriage is sacred doesn't answer my questions. Why does the sex of the two people matter to you personally? Are the two people in a relationship harming you? Do you think you have the right to define other people's relationships?

Shershah
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Shershah » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:06 pm

Othelos wrote:
Shershah wrote:

"Marriage is sacred" is from the point of view of marriage. Not from your view.

That is also my view.

Othelos
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Othelos » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:07 pm

Shershah wrote:
Othelos wrote:"Marriage is sacred" is from the point of view of marriage. Not from your view.

That is also my view.

Quit beating around the bush and answer my questions.

Shershah
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Shershah » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:09 pm

Othelos wrote:
Shershah wrote:
That is also my view.

Quit beating around the bush and answer my questions.

I just did.

Othelos
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Othelos » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:27 pm

Shershah wrote:
Othelos wrote:Quit beating around the bush and answer my questions.

I just did.

You answered one. How about these?

Are two same-sex people in a relationship harming you? Do you think you have the right to define other people's relationships?

Shershah
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Shershah » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:28 pm

Othelos wrote:
Shershah wrote:
I just did.

You answered one. How about these?

Are two same-sex people in a relationship harming you? Do you think you have the right to define other people's relationships?

Those will only get what you will define as objective ones. If those suffice then, might as well just go through my post history.

Domenic and friends
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Domenic and friends » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:29 pm

Meh

Othelos
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Othelos » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:30 pm

Shershah wrote:
Othelos wrote:You answered one. How about these?

Those will only get what you will define as objective ones. If those suffice then, might as well just go through my post history.

Stop trying to evade the questions. Do you, or do you not, believe that you have the right to define other people's personal relationships?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General