NATION

PASSWORD

Where Does Morality Come From?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Where does morality come from?

Cost-Benefit Analysis
11%
The Sanctity of Humanity
6%
God, the Spirit of Life, or Deities of some sort
9%
One's Various Communities
15%
The World Community as a Whole
8%
Biological Instincts
15%
Empathy for Others
16%
[insert complex scientific explanation here]
10%
There is No Morality
6%
Meh, who cares?
5%

Total votes : 410

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:18 pm

Big Jim P wrote:
Trotskylvania wrote:Not necessarily. The possibility exists that those people are just wrong.

Only by someone elses (or societies) definitions.

This means that we cannot judge other societies and that we cannot defend those that are the victims of atrocities in those societies. So hey, why bother with helping those in other countries? Their morals are just as reasonable as ours.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:23 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:
Only by someone elses (or societies) definitions.

This means that we cannot judge other societies and that we cannot defend those that are the victims of atrocities in those societies. So hey, why bother with helping those in other countries? Their morals are just as reasonable as ours.

No, we can make judgement calls, and base our actions on those judgements. We just cannot pretend that those judgements are based on some universal morality.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:24 pm

Big Jim P wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:

No, we can make judgement calls, and base our actions on those judgements. We just cannot pretend that those judgements are based on some universal morality.

Which would be admitting that what they believe to be moral, is not moral. Thus you've explained yourself why your claim was wrong.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:27 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:

Which would be admitting that what they believe to be moral, is not moral. Thus you've explained yourself why your claim was wrong.

It was not moral by OUR judgement. It was by theirs. Two differing points of view, meaning that BOTH standards of morality are relative. Both are equally valid, and it comes down to which society was strong enough to force their views on the other.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:28 pm

Big Jim P wrote:It was not moral by OUR judgement. It was by theirs. Two differing points of view, meaning that BOTH standards of morality are relative. Both are equally valid, and it comes down to which society was strong enough to force their views on the other.

Which you admit does not make it moral. Both are not equally valid, actually. That's why ethics exists.

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:30 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:It was not moral by OUR judgement. It was by theirs. Two differing points of view, meaning that BOTH standards of morality are relative. Both are equally valid, and it comes down to which society was strong enough to force their views on the other.

Which you admit does not make it moral. Both are not equally valid, actually. That's why ethics exists.

Can you explain how both are not equally valid without resorting to your own personal view of morality?
Hail Satan!

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:35 pm

Big Jim P wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:

Can you explain how both are not equally valid without resorting to your own personal view of morality?

Another's could be internally inconsistent with its reasoning. It could be based on faulty arguments, or false premises about the nature of reality. Or one could argue that it violates certain categorical imperatives that are implied by living in civil society.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:36 pm

It comes from people, typically the given majority of a given area or culture.

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:38 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:

Another's could be internally inconsistent with its reasoning. It could be based on faulty arguments, or false premises about the nature of reality. Or one could argue that it violates certain categorical imperatives that are implied by living in civil society.

None of which removes it from relativity.
Hail Satan!

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:39 pm

Big Jim P wrote:Can you explain how both are not equally valid without resorting to your own personal view of morality?

It's not about my own personal views on morality. It is about observing facts, truths, and forming a coherent moral philosophy that works.

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:40 pm

Big Jim P wrote:
Trotskylvania wrote:Another's could be internally inconsistent with its reasoning. It could be based on faulty arguments, or false premises about the nature of reality. Or one could argue that it violates certain categorical imperatives that are implied by living in civil society.

Not necessarily, though the latter implies a certain level of objectivity with regards to ethics. But most importantly, they do refute your conceit that morality is an anything goes game of simple unthinking sentiment.

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:45 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:

Not necessarily, though the latter implies a certain level of objectivity with regards to ethics. But most importantly, they do refute your conceit that morality is an anything goes game of simple unthinking sentiment.

Until a universal constant of morality is discovered, morality (like all other human constructs) remains relative. Effective morality merely comes from the ability of a society to force it's morality on another. Anything does indeed go, as long as an individual or society can back up it's actions by force.
Hail Satan!

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:47 pm

Big Jim P wrote:Until a universal constant of morality is discovered, morality (like all other human constructs) remains relative. Effective morality merely comes from the ability of a society to force it's morality on another. Anything does indeed go, as long as an individual or society can back up it's actions by force.

He said that he's not denying morality is relative. He stated that ethics is, at least partially, objective. The two are similar, but different in fundamental ways.

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:48 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:Can you explain how both are not equally valid without resorting to your own personal view of morality?

It's not about my own personal views on morality. It is about observing facts, truths, and forming a coherent moral philosophy that works.

Since it is not about your personal views, what external, objective entity does the observing, and forming the moral philosophy? I suppose society serves such a purpose, but society is created by humans, and thus, is not objective.
Last edited by Big Jim P on Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hail Satan!

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:48 pm

Big Jim P wrote:
Trotskylvania wrote:Not necessarily, though the latter implies a certain level of objectivity with regards to ethics. But most importantly, they do refute your conceit that morality is an anything goes game of simple unthinking sentiment.

Until a universal constant of morality is discovered, morality (like all other human constructs) remains relative. Effective morality merely comes from the ability of a society to force it's morality on another. Anything does indeed go, as long as an individual or society can back up it's actions by force.

Again, no. Unthinking prescription, especially when backed only by force, is not an exercise in morality. Quite the opposite, by abandoning reason it's pretty clearly conceded in favor of a fallacious attempt to make might into right. It is more instructive to think of morality as a process rather than a concrete thing.

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:50 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:

Again, no. Unthinking prescription, especially when backed only by force, is not an exercise in morality. Quite the opposite, by abandoning reason it's pretty clearly conceded in favor of a fallacious attempt to make might into right. It is more instructive to think of morality as a process rather than a concrete thing.

Might is right however. Might is the only way in which a society can force it's morality, either on another society, or on the individuals within society.
Hail Satan!

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:51 pm

Big Jim P wrote:
Since it is not about your personal views, what external, objective entity does the observing, and forming the moral philosophy? I suppose society serves such a purpose, but society is created by humans, and thus, is not objective.

Nothing. Moral philosophy, like all philosophy seeks knowledge for truth, but specifically morals. Forcing morality upon others does not make anything moral. That is not a moral philosophy. For one, you would have to create a philosophy explaining why that would be moral.

Cameroi
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cameroi » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:23 pm

not that complicated really. real morality comes from what it takes to not screw everything up for everyone. anything else may be whatever it is. but real morality is that and only that.
that makes universal consideration a matter of morality, and what takes places out of sight between mentally competent consenting sentients not.
truth isn't what i say. isn't what you say. isn't what anybody says. truth is what is there, when no one is saying anything.

"economic freedom" is "the cake"
=^^=
.../\...

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:08 am

Der Landstreicher wrote:
Sociobiology wrote:
no good just means that which we act favorably towards.
good or bad is like disgust or pleasant, it is an emotional tag, not an inherent characteristic of the action.

That's called noncognitivism, I myself lean towards moral nihilism and error theory. I say that doesn't make it good or bad, but those are merely emotions, and that there's no reason to believe certain emotions make things "good" or "bad" even subjectively because it's still making a false claim.

what claim?
I am hungry only claims that I fell the emotion or sensation of hunger.

Der Landstreicher wrote:
Sociobiology wrote:no those things are right or wrong only to the extent we behave as if they are, good and bad ONLY exist to the extent humans behave as if they do.

nothing is right or wrong objectively only subjectively as a human with said instincts or beliefs.

Like I said before, just because certain people act a certain way doesn't make the claims they make true. When people say "X is bad" or "X is good" that is claim, and one that I'd argue is false.

what part of

those things are right or wrong only to the extent we behave as if they are

is giving you trouble? Because you obvious do not understand the statement. otherwise you would not be agreeing with it in an oppositional tone.
Last edited by Sociobiology on Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:34 am

Sociobiology wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:yes

it can change based on a compelling argument by a dynamic personality but it still ends up as the consensus of each particular society.

thats why honor killings are commonplace in certain islamic countries but are horrifying to most western christians.

most may be stretching it.

and just because an instinct can be overridden does not mean it does not exist.
Unless you think humans do not have a pain avoidance instinct.

most isnt stretching it. ... unless you count "crimes of passion" as honor killings--where a man finds his wife with another man and kills them both, for example.

i dont know what you meant by the rest or why you said it to me.
whatever

Volnotova
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Volnotova » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:40 am

Sociobiology wrote:
Der Landstreicher wrote:
That's called noncognitivism, I myself lean towards moral nihilism and error theory. I say that doesn't make it good or bad, but those are merely emotions, and that there's no reason to believe certain emotions make things "good" or "bad" even subjectively because it's still making a false claim.

what claim?
I am hungry only claims that I fell the emotion or sensation of hunger.

Der Landstreicher wrote:

Like I said before, just because certain people act a certain way doesn't make the claims they make true. When people say "X is bad" or "X is good" that is claim, and one that I'd argue is false.

what part of

those things are right or wrong only to the extent we behave as if they are

is giving you trouble? Because you obvious do not understand the statement. otherwise you would not be agreeing with it in an oppositional tone.

What part of "People just do" don't you understand?

Eating a rotting maggot infested corpse or a bucket of cow dung is just plain gross to many people, which is why they refrain from it, not necessarily(or even) because it is wrong, percieved as wrong or feels wrong, but because our evolution has determined(for people that it has) that the mere smell of thought of such actions invokes a sense of disgust and thus serves to make us refrain from doing things that would otherwise prove detrimental to our health, and thus serves an evolutionairy purpose.

This entire "If you feel disgusted, that is because you really, deep inside, know/think it is immoral!" is getting really old now.

Either what you are doing is trying to rationalise those feelings, trying to rationalise the experiences and turn them into something more than they really are or you are just juggling the definitions around and changing the meanings of certain terms(or using them in a manner that other people do not use them).

Or maybe, I am just not experiencing the same feelings as you.
A very exclusive and exceptional ice crystal.

A surrealistic alien entity stretched thin across the many membranes of the multiverse.
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:You are the most lawful neutral person I have ever witnessed.

Polruan wrote:It's like Humphrey Applebee wrote a chapter of the Talmud in here.

Chinese Regions
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Chinese Regions » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:43 am

Environment, genes, evolution, society.
Fan of Transformers?|Fan of Star Trek?|你会说中文吗?
Geopolitics: Internationalist, Pan-Asian, Pan-African, Pan-Arab, Pan-Slavic, Eurofederalist,
  • For the promotion of closer ties between Europe and Russia but without Dugin's anti-intellectual quackery.
  • Against NATO, the Anglo-American "special relationship", Israel and Wahhabism.

Sociopolitics: Pro-Intellectual, Pro-Science, Secular, Strictly Anti-Theocractic, for the liberation of PoCs in Western Hemisphere without the hegemony of white liberals
Economics: Indifferent

New Rogernomics
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 22, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby New Rogernomics » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:44 am

Morality is derived from altruism, which is biologically (or genetically) inherited. As a sentient species we are capable of higher thinking than non-sentient species; some anthropologists argue sentience is determined by the ability to have creative/innovative thought, as well as fashion tools. Though other animals can dream {and fashion tools], so it is a difficult question as to whether other animals establish moral principles (and aren't solidly altruistic): http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2001/dreaming.html
Last edited by New Rogernomics on Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Herald (Vice-Delegate) of Lazarus
"Solidarity forever..."
Hoping for Peace in Israel and Palestine
  • Former First Citizen (PM) of Lazarus
  • Former Proedroi (Minister) of Foreign Affairs of Lazarus
  • Former Lazarus Delegate (Humane Republic of Lazarus, 2015)
  • Minister of Culture & Media (Humane Republic of Lazarus)
  • Foreign Minister of The Ascendancy (RIP, and purged)
  • Senator of The Ascendancy (RIP, and purged)
  • Interior Commissioner of Lazarus (Pre-People's Republic of Lazarus)
  • At some point a member of the Grey family...then father vanished...
  • Foreign Minister of The Last Kingdom (RIP)
  • ADN:DSA Rep for Eastern Roman Empire
  • Honoratus Servant of the Holy Land (Eastern Roman Empire)
  • UN/WA Delegate of Trans Atlantice (RIP)

Volnotova
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Volnotova » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:29 am

New Rogernomics wrote:Morality is derived from altruism, which is biologically (or genetically) inherited. As a sentient species we are capable of higher thinking than non-sentient species; some anthropologists argue sentience is determined by the ability to have creative/innovative thought, as well as fashion tools. Though other animals can dream {and fashion tools], so it is a difficult question as to whether other animals establish moral principles (and aren't solidly altruistic): http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2001/dreaming.html

Not all forms of morality are derived from altruism, some follow a deontological not utilitarian pattern(Although the utilitarian principles might be based on deontological thought).
A very exclusive and exceptional ice crystal.

A surrealistic alien entity stretched thin across the many membranes of the multiverse.
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:You are the most lawful neutral person I have ever witnessed.

Polruan wrote:It's like Humphrey Applebee wrote a chapter of the Talmud in here.

Augarundus
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Augarundus » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:46 am

New Rogernomics wrote:Morality is derived from altruism

Lol, Objectivism.
Libertarian Purity Test Score: 160
Capitalism is always the answer. Whenever there's a problem in capitalism, you just need some more capitalism. If the solution isn't capitalism, then it's not really a problem. If your capitalism gets damaged, you just need to throw some capitalism on it and get on with your life.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General