NATION

PASSWORD

Muppets dump Chick-fil-a

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:33 pm

Bottle wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:I'm a pretty lazy fucker and even I have a hard time considering not going somewhere 'effort'.

Well to hear the homophobes tell it, not going to gay weddings is just about the hardest thing in the universe to pull off, so maybe not-doing things is the new doing things.

That makes a scary amount of sense.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:33 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
greed and death wrote:
If seeking equal rights is an Agenda then I proudly support it.
I just feel the time effort and money spent getting the word out and boycotting/protesting Chick-fil-a could be spent to better uses such as getting out the vote. Strategically I think spending time and energy boycotting/protesting Chick-fil-a would improve Romney's chances to win.

We can do both. Really. There are more than a couple of people down at Headquarters. ;)

But there is only a finite number of people, time, and money. Resources are scarce when one is competing against super PACs. The key to victory has always been to pick your battles and win small steps. Hence why the civil rights movement took Decades. First desegregate the schools, then the buses, then the lunch counters. Fighting every battle offered by GOP cronies when they get some free airtime is a sure way to loose the war.

If I were Karl Rove, I would have a few more of these CEOs put their foot in their mouths.
Last edited by Greed and Death on Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Gauntleted Fist
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauntleted Fist » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:38 pm

greed and death wrote:But there is only a finite number of people, time, and money. Resources are scarce when one is competing against super PACs. The key to victory has always been to pick your battles and win small steps. Hence why the civil rights movement took Decades. First desegregate the schools, then the buses, then the lunch counters. Fighting every battle offered by GOP cronies when they get some free airtime is a sure way to loose the war.

If I were Karl Rove, I would have a few more of these CEOs put their foot in their mouths.

Except most CEOs have enough time, money, and political support to tell Karl Rove to go fuck himself if it makes them happy? Karl Rove is not god (Or even an actual representative of the GOP), and his money means shit to people like Dan Cathy. I don't get why people are surprised that Cathy is anti-gay. He's never been shy about showing just how much of a religious person he is.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:17 pm

Gauntleted Fist wrote:I don't get why people are surprised that Cathy is anti-gay. He's never been shy about showing just how much of a religious person he is.

Is 'surprise' really the reaction that's being had? I don't know if my reaction...I can't account for others...could be classified as 'surprise'. Well, first of all, I never even heard of this dude until he made news about taunting god or some such shit. And, if I had been pressed until recently I wouldn't have been 100% sure I knew if Chick-fil-a was a food or a place.

So finding out a week after I had set foot in Chick-fil-a for the first time that the founder is homophobic religious zealot guy...I don't know that it registers as surprise or how the long history of this guy I never heard of would really have factored in to my reaction.

No, I don't know that the issue is 'surprise,' I don't see a lot of repsondents here going, "Oh, what happened Cathy, we thought you were cool!"
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:31 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Gauntleted Fist wrote:I don't get why people are surprised that Cathy is anti-gay. He's never been shy about showing just how much of a religious person he is.

Is 'surprise' really the reaction that's being had? I don't know if my reaction...I can't account for others...could be classified as 'surprise'. Well, first of all, I never even heard of this dude until he made news about taunting god or some such shit. And, if I had been pressed until recently I wouldn't have been 100% sure I knew if Chick-fil-a was a food or a place.

So finding out a week after I had set foot in Chick-fil-a for the first time that the founder is homophobic religious zealot guy...I don't know that it registers as surprise or how the long history of this guy I never heard of would really have factored in to my reaction.

No, I don't know that the issue is 'surprise,' I don't see a lot of repsondents here going, "Oh, what happened Cathy, we thought you were cool!"

Because I am an optimist at heart (no really), my default assumption is that a person is decent, unless/until I am presented with evidence to the contrary. Thus, I don't walk around assuming people are homophobes. I don't assume they're pro-gay-rights either, I just give them a default starting point of "not an asshole."

Now, at the same time, I live in America. So when somebody opens their mouth and provides me with a pile of evidence that they are, in fact, an asshole, my reaction is many things but it most certainly cannot be accurately termed "surprise."

Cathy acted like an asshole, and now people are saying "What an asshole!" Sounds like a pretty appropriate level of reaction to me. Nobody's bombing his stores, nobody's attacking his children, nobody's passing laws to revoke his marriage license, nobody's campaigning to strip him of his right to vote, nobody's sending militarized police units in to turn the fire hoses on him. Just a lot of people saying "Yep, that right there is an asshole!" I am cheered by the good judgment of my fellow citizens.
Last edited by Bottle on Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Until evolution happens like in pokemon I'll never accept your 'evidence'!" -Ifreann
"Well, excuuuuuuse me, feminist." -Ende

Gauntleted Fist
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauntleted Fist » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:33 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:Is 'surprise' really the reaction that's being had?

Pretty much. Everyone seems quite taken aback that a company whose corporate purpose statement is to glorify God and be good stewards of all things on Earth has a president that's anti-gay and also quite religious.

Cannot think of a name wrote:I don't know if my reaction...I can't account for others...could be classified as 'surprise'. Well, first of all, I never even heard of this dude until he made news about taunting god or some such shit. And, if I had been pressed until recently I wouldn't have been 100% sure I knew if Chick-fil-a was a food or a place.

Would you say they were offended, then?

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:39 pm

Gauntleted Fist wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:Is 'surprise' really the reaction that's being had?

Pretty much. Everyone seems quite taken aback that a company whose corporate purpose statement is to glorify God and be good stewards of all things on Earth has a president that's anti-gay and also quite religious.

You are apparently operating on a different definition of 'surprise' than I am.
Gauntleted Fist wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:I don't know if my reaction...I can't account for others...could be classified as 'surprise'. Well, first of all, I never even heard of this dude until he made news about taunting god or some such shit. And, if I had been pressed until recently I wouldn't have been 100% sure I knew if Chick-fil-a was a food or a place.

Would you say they were offended, then?

Put off? Not feeling like I particularly need to support this cat and his ideals by eating his shitty chicken? Is there a 'mood' I need to hit to meet with your approval?

Gauntleted Fist
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauntleted Fist » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:07 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:You are apparently operating on a different definition of 'surprise' than I am.

It is quite possible. I have boycotted the company for almost four years now though, so I guess this sudden magnification of the issue just seems outlandish. Here is your sacrificial lamb, please come slaughter it type deal.

Cannot think of a name wrote:Put off? Not feeling like I particularly need to support this cat and his ideals by eating his shitty chicken?

That sounds good, and you probably shouldn't support companies you disagree with. Sounds quite sensible.

Cannot think of a name wrote:Is there a 'mood' I need to hit to meet with your approval?

Celebratory. That way you can be happy and donate a large amount of money to the make GF richer fund.
Last edited by Gauntleted Fist on Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:33 pm

Gauntleted Fist wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:You are apparently operating on a different definition of 'surprise' than I am.

It is quite possible. I have boycotted the company for almost four years now though, so I guess this sudden magnification of the issue just seems outlandish. Here is your sacrificial lamb, please come slaughter it type deal.

Are you trying to tell us you were boycotting Chick-fil-a before it was cool? Did you do it while listening to demo tapes and shaping your ironic mustache?
Gauntleted Fist wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:Put off? Not feeling like I particularly need to support this cat and his ideals by eating his shitty chicken?

That sounds good, and you probably shouldn't support companies you disagree with. Sounds quite sensible.

Then what's all the hubub, bub?
Gauntleted Fist wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:Is there a 'mood' I need to hit to meet with your approval?

Celebratory. That way you can be happy and donate a large amount of money to the make GF richer fund.

Good luck with that.

Gauntleted Fist
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauntleted Fist » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:37 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:Are you trying to tell us you were boycotting Chick-fil-a before it was cool?

Yes, that is precisely what I am trying to tell you because I am a tremendous asshole who thinks people should learn a little about the companies they patronize before doing so.

Nidaria
Senator

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nidaria » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:44 pm

Gauntleted Fist wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:Are you trying to tell us you were boycotting Chick-fil-a before it was cool?

Yes, that is precisely what I am trying to tell you because I am a tremendous asshole who thinks people should learn a little about the companies they patronize before doing so.

If anything, this developement will make more people visit Chick-fil-a. NationStates does not resemble the real world.
"He who denies the existence of God has some reason for wishing that God did not exist." --St. Augustine
"There is only one difference between genius and stupidity: genius has limits." --Albert Einstein
"When statesmen forsake their own private conscience for the sake of their public duties... they lead their country by a short route to chaos." --St. Thomas More
Anti-gay, Pro-life, Traditionalist, Libertarian, Non-interventionist, Loyal Roman Catholic
Cosmopolitan/Nationalistic 25%
Secular/Fundamentalist 67%
Visionary/Reactionary 21%
Anarchistic/Authoritarian 6%
Communist/Capitalist 41%
Pacifist/Militaristic 7%
Ecological/Anthropocentric 52%

Raeyh
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Raeyh » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:46 pm

Gauntleted Fist wrote:

Everyone knows that Microsoft is evil, but I don't see them switching over to Linux. I don't think many people care if they buy from someone who is morally bankrupt.

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:20 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Raeyh wrote:
But you did nothing positive for homosexuals personally.

You know how in a Western when they're introducing characters at a bar scene and someone says something and then all of a sudden everyone backs away from that person and looks at the menacing looking gunfighter on the other side of the room...?

I know I'm hiding behind an overturned table.
Proud Scalawag and Statist!

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Dumb Ideologies wrote:Halt!
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Nulono wrote:Snip
I'm a pro-lifer who runs a nation of dragon-men...
And even I think that's stupid.
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:28 pm

Nidaria wrote:
Gauntleted Fist wrote:Yes, that is precisely what I am trying to tell you because I am a tremendous asshole who thinks people should learn a little about the companies they patronize before doing so.

If anything, this developement will make more people visit Chick-fil-a. NationStates does not resemble the real world.

Try looking up polling numbers on how many people support gay marriage in America.
Proud Scalawag and Statist!

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Dumb Ideologies wrote:Halt!
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Nulono wrote:Snip
I'm a pro-lifer who runs a nation of dragon-men...
And even I think that's stupid.
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

Northern Dominus
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Dominus » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:36 pm

Wikkiwallana wrote:
Nidaria wrote:If anything, this developement will make more people visit Chick-fil-a. NationStates does not resemble the real world.

Try looking up polling numbers on how many people support gay marriage in America.
I'm holding my breath waiting for an FRC or Narth poll :D
Battletech RP: Giant walking war machines, space to surface fighters, and other implements blowing things up= lots of fun! Sign up here
We even have a soundtrack!

RIP Caroll Shelby 1923-2012
Aurora, Oak Creek, Happy Valley, Sandy Hook. Just how high a price are we willing to pay?

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:02 pm

Wikkiwallana wrote:
Nidaria wrote:If anything, this developement will make more people visit Chick-fil-a. NationStates does not resemble the real world.

its like 53 - 47 against isn't it?
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:15 pm

greed and death wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:What effort?

The effort spent driving .5 a blocks farther down the KFC.

Actually, KFC is .5 blocks away from me.

I don't eat there either though. Not for political reasons, just that their chicken has given me the runs and/or vomiting on several occasions.
Only here when I'm VERY VERY VERY bored now.
(Trump is Reagan 2.0: A nationalistic bimbo who will ruin America.)
Death Metal: A nation founded on the most powerful force in the world: METAL! \m/
A non-idealist centre-leftist

Alts: Ronpaulatia, Bisonopolis, Iga, Gygaxia, The Children of Skyrim, Tinfoil Fedoras

Pro: Civil Equality, Scaled Income Taxes, Centralized Govtt, Moderate Business Regulations, Heavy Metal
Con: Censorship in any medium, Sales Tax, Flat Tax, Small Govt, Overly Large Govt, Laissez Faire, AutoTuner.

I support Obama. And so would FA Hayek.

34 arguments Libertarians (and sometimes AnCaps) make, and why they are wrong.

Northern Dominus
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Dominus » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:19 pm

Death Metal wrote:
greed and death wrote:The effort spent driving .5 a blocks farther down the KFC.

I don't eat there either though. Not for political reasons, just that their chicken has given me the runs and/or vomiting on several occasions.
Well then support your local fried chicken eatery then, like I do.
Battletech RP: Giant walking war machines, space to surface fighters, and other implements blowing things up= lots of fun! Sign up here

Aurora, Oak Creek, Happy Valley, Sandy Hook. Just how high a price are we willing to pay?

Roan Cara
Senator

Founded: Jul 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Roan Cara » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:22 pm

TaQud wrote:What do you expect? The Owner is Christian so they would probably oppose same-sex marriage...

this is an ignorant statement at best, many christians support gay marriage president Obama for one. There are also gay pastors of christian churches. As for the muppet boycott, I think both are stupid, keep your personal beliefs/opinions out of your public business practices, that is more professional imo.
Married to Big Jim P- I will always love him-ALLways
Roan HaYashurah - Roan the Just... or straight...~Menassa
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. Dr. Seuss[/align]

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:22 pm

Northern Dominus wrote:
Death Metal wrote:

Well then support your local fried chicken eatery then, like I do.

But... we don't have one. :(

We do have Popeyes though. Good, not supported by a bigot (far as I'm aware anyway), and has yet to give me mild food poisoning!
Death Metal: A nation founded on the most powerful force in the world: METAL! \m/

Alts: Ronpaulatia, Bisonopolis, Iga, Gygaxia, The Children of Skyrim, Tinfoil Fedoras

Pro: Civil Equality, Scaled Income Taxes, Centralized Govtt, Moderate Business Regulations, Heavy Metal
Con: Censorship in any medium, Sales Tax, Flat Tax, Small Govt, Overly Large Govt, Laissez Faire, AutoTuner.

Northern Dominus
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Dominus » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:23 pm

Death Metal wrote:
Northern Dominus wrote: Well then support your local fried chicken eatery then, like I do.

We do have Popeyes though. Good, not supported by a bigot (far as I'm aware anyway), and has yet to give me mild food poisoning!
I can help solve this, do you live in a big metropolitan area? Or if not which is the closest one?

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:31 pm

Northern Dominus wrote:
Death Metal wrote:

I can help solve this, do you live in a big metropolitan area? Or if not which is the closest one?

Ft Lauderdale would be closest, but I don't want to go downtown for chicken when Popeyes is pretty awesome as it is.

Besides, I'm already aware of a fantastic small restaurant, it's called Legends and it's got great stuff and my first "eating out" option due to location, service, and quality. Plus the servers are very nice (I watched most of England and Ireland's Euro 2012 matches there)

Just not always viable.

Jari Head
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Jari Head » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:41 pm

Death Metal wrote:
greed and death wrote:The effort spent driving .5 a blocks farther down the KFC.

Have you tried taking all the skin off so all you have is just the meat? You could have an allergy to one or more of the herbs or spices in the coating.
We have two companies of Marines running rampant all over the northern half of this island, and three Army regiments pinned down in the southwestern corner, doing nothing. What the hell is going on?
Gen. John W. Vessey Jr., USA, Chairman of the the Joint Chiefs of Staff during the assault on Grenada, 1983
A bullet may have your name on it, but a grenade is addressed: "To whom it may concern."

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:45 pm

Jari Head wrote:
Death Metal wrote:

Have you tried taking all the skin off so all you have is just the meat? You could have an allergy to one or more of the herbs or spices in the coating.

Nah, otherwise it would happen every single time.

Plus, my only allergy is to avocado.

Transhuman Proteus
Senator

Founded: Mar 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Transhuman Proteus » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:47 pm

Nidaria wrote:
Gauntleted Fist wrote:Yes, that is precisely what I am trying to tell you because I am a tremendous asshole who thinks people should learn a little about the companies they patronize before doing so.

Since I haven't seen any statistics that make me think support for SSM isn't steadily growing and that the vocal anti-SSM doesn't vastly over estimate its market share I see no reason it should.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General