NATION

PASSWORD

Muppets dump Chick-fil-a

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Northern Dominus
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Dominus » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:59 am

Arkinesia wrote:
Northern Dominus wrote: And when (potentially) corporate doesn't do anything because there's an institutional undercurrent of bigotry?

They're doing a terrible job of being bigoted, then. Because the guy who was my manager most nights was openly gay.

Everyone knew he was gay including management (the owner was a fiercely conservative Southern Baptist, fwiw). But he had been promoted twice since he started working there.
Great, so a handful of people knew, good for them (oh and conservatism and religion don't necessarily belie bigotry btw). That's one example, you don't know what has or is happening at other Chick-fil-A stores, so all you know is your particular store was the exception.

Evidence points to a very public corporate culture of, once again, bigotry and support of marginalization of a minority, and since management usually hires like-minded individuals to work under them odds are that Dan Cathy isn't the only bigot in a position of power in Chick-fil-A's corporate structure.
Battletech RP: Giant walking war machines, space to surface fighters, and other implements blowing things up= lots of fun! Sign up here
We even have a soundtrack!

RIP Caroll Shelby 1923-2012
Aurora, Oak Creek, Happy Valley, Sandy Hook. Just how high a price are we willing to pay?

Arkinesia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkinesia » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:01 pm

Northern Dominus wrote:
Arkinesia wrote:They're doing a terrible job of being bigoted, then. Because the guy who was my manager most nights was openly gay.

Everyone knew he was gay including management (the owner was a fiercely conservative Southern Baptist, fwiw). But he had been promoted twice since he started working there.
Great, so a handful of people knew, good for them (oh and conservatism and religion don't necessarily belie bigotry btw). That's one example, you don't know what has or is happening at other Chick-fil-A stores, so all you know is your particular store was the exception.

Evidence points to a very public corporate culture of, once again, bigotry and support of marginalization of a minority, and since management usually hires like-minded individuals to work under them odds are that Dan Cathy isn't the only bigot in a position of power in Chick-fil-A's corporate structure.

I have two friends who work at other Chick-fil-A restaurants.

They too work or have worked with openly gay and lesbian employees.

Is it too late to point out that Truett Cathy's earlier restaurants were some of the first in Atlanta to be desegregated?
Last edited by Arkinesia on Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bisexual, atheist, Southerner. Not much older but made much wiser.

Disappointment Panda wrote:Don't hope for a life without problems. There's no such thing. Instead, hope for a life full of good problems.

Northern Dominus
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Dominus » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:04 pm

Arkinesia wrote:
Northern Dominus wrote: Great, so a handful of people knew, good for them (oh and conservatism and religion don't necessarily belie bigotry btw). That's one example, you don't know what has or is happening at other Chick-fil-A stores, so all you know is your particular store was the exception.

I have two friends who work at other Chick-fil-A restaurants.

Is it too late to point out that Truett Cathy's earlier restaurants were some of the first in Atlanta to be desegregated?
Good for her, any idea when this happened? I'd be happy with a conformable year.
Battletech RP: Giant walking war machines, space to surface fighters, and other implements blowing things up= lots of fun! Sign up here

Aurora, Oak Creek, Happy Valley, Sandy Hook. Just how high a price are we willing to pay?

Inky Noodles
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Inky Noodles » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:04 pm

I don't think "hey, they don't agree with me!" when i'm at Chick-fil-a.
I simply eat, because chicken is bad ass.
Transnapastain wrote:
Inky Noodles wrote:QUICK.

I WANNA ASK SOMEONE TO HOMECOMING.

whaddo I do?!

So I just met you
and this is crazy
but heres my number
homecoming maybe?

*not a valid offer.

~Trans, killing TET's since part 45.

San Leggera wrote:
Veceria wrote:People with big noses have big penises.
Even the females.

Especially the females. *nod*

Hurdegaryp wrote:
Belligerent Alcoholics wrote:Are you OK? :eyebrow:

It's a person called Inky Noodles in a thread that is not exactly known for its sanity in general. Do the math, beerguzzler.

18 year old Virginian

Ravens, O's, and Penguins fan

Arkinesia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkinesia » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:08 pm

Northern Dominus wrote:
Arkinesia wrote:I have two friends who work at other Chick-fil-A restaurants.

Good for her, any idea when this happened? I'd be happy with a conformable year.

I don't recall the precise year but I do know it was in the mid-1950s.

Disappointment Panda wrote:Don't hope for a life without problems. There's no such thing. Instead, hope for a life full of good problems.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:10 pm

Inky Noodles wrote:I don't think "hey, they don't agree with me!" when i'm at Chick-fil-a.

Eating bad ass? :blink:
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:11 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Inky Noodles wrote:I don't think "hey, they don't agree with me!" when i'm at Chick-fil-a.

And you are what you eat, therefore Inky Noodles is bad ass.

Northern Dominus
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Dominus » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:13 pm

Arkinesia wrote:
Northern Dominus wrote: Good for her, any idea when this happened? I'd be happy with a conformable year.

I don't recall the precise year but I do know it was in the mid-1950s.
If that is true then that's all well and good.

But that doesn't excuse the fact that Dan Cathy, the Chief Operations Officer of Chick-fil-A and the son of the company founder has confirmed that he has donated to hate groups masquerading under the banners of religion and "family values" and has implicated that the franchise as a whole supports these groups efforts.

So therin lies the rub. LGBT people are good enough to work for Chick-fil-A, but the company would rather they didn't have the same fundamental rights as the rest of us.

Arkinesia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkinesia » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:21 pm

Northern Dominus wrote:
Arkinesia wrote:I don't recall the precise year but I do know it was in the mid-1950s.
If that is true then that's all well and good.

But that doesn't excuse the fact that Dan Cathy, the Chief Operations Officer of Chick-fil-A and the son of the company founder has confirmed that he has donated to hate groups masquerading under the banners of religion and "family values" and has implicated that the franchise as a whole supports these groups efforts.

So therin lies the rub. LGBT people are good enough to work for Chick-fil-A, but the company would rather they didn't have the same fundamental rights as the rest of us.

Chick-fil-A publicly announced in 2011 they would stop donating to anti-gay groups.

That article does nothing to claim they donated to anti-gay groups after that time.

Inky Noodles
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Inky Noodles » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:21 pm

Genivaria wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

You betcha! 8)
Transnapastain wrote:

whaddo I do?!

So I just met you
and this is crazy
but heres my number
homecoming maybe?

*not a valid offer.

San Leggera wrote:
Even the females.

Hurdegaryp wrote:

It's a person called Inky Noodles in a thread that is not exactly known for its sanity in general. Do the math, beerguzzler.

18 year old Virginian

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:21 pm

Genivaria wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

Then why is it when I have a 12-inch sandwich......er never mind.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Northern Dominus
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Dominus » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:35 pm

Arkinesia wrote:
Northern Dominus wrote: If that is true then that's all well and good.

Chick-fil-A publicly announced in 2011 they would stop donating to anti-gay groups.

That article does nothing to claim they donated to anti-gay groups after that time.
Nope, Dan Cathy was quoted that he did donate as such. The article provides links to the baptist media sites where the interview is posted.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:37 pm

I normally agree, chicken is delicious. Which makes me wonder how Chick-fil-a managed to screw it up so badly so that your sentence has a punctuation error: "[Their] chicken is bad, [tastes like] ass."
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Arkinesia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkinesia » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:38 pm

Northern Dominus wrote:
Arkinesia wrote:Chick-fil-A publicly announced in 2011 they would stop donating to anti-gay groups.

Nope, Dan Cathy was quoted that he did donate as such. The article provides links to the baptist media sites where the interview is posted.

The HuffPo article states that CFA donated $2m to anti-gay groups in 2010 and the quote was simply an admission of past donations, with no actual indication as to when such donations had occurred.

Unless you can prove with sources that CFA donated to explicitly anti-gay causes after February 2011 you have no case.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:39 pm

Inky Noodles wrote:
Genivaria wrote:And you are what you eat, therefore Inky Noodles is bad ass.

You betcha! 8)

Now come here and give me a Christian side-hug. :p

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:41 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:

I prefer thighs and drumsticks myself.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Rubiconic Crossings V2 rev 1f
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Rubiconic Crossings V2 rev 1f » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:55 pm

So the VP of PR for Chick-fil-A dies of a heart attack.

http://www.towleroad.com/2012/07/don-pe ... ttack.html

Donald A. Perry, the Vice President of Corporate Public Relations for Chick-fil-A, has died.

WRBL reports:

Ross Cathy, the owner of the Midland, GA Chick-fil-A and family member of company CEO, Dan Cathy, tells News 3, Perry passed away this morning from a heart attack.

Chick-fil-A released a statement:

We are saddened to report the news to you that our dear friend Don Perry, vice president of public relations, passed away suddenly this morning.

Don was a member of our Chick-fil-A family for nearly 29 years. For many of you in the media, he was the spokesperson for Chick-fil-A. He was a well-respected and well-liked media executive in the Atlanta and University of Georgia communities, and we will all miss him.

Our thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Not the best timing really....
PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME TG's. MODERATORS READ YOUR TG's WITHOUT YOUR PERMISSION.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Flowers Call me Rubi for short or Vonners

Inky Noodles
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Inky Noodles » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:56 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Inky Noodles wrote:You betcha! 8)

Now come here and give me a Christian side-hug. :p

:hug:
Transnapastain wrote:

whaddo I do?!

So I just met you
and this is crazy
but heres my number
homecoming maybe?

*not a valid offer.

San Leggera wrote:
Even the females.

Hurdegaryp wrote:

18 year old Virginian

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:56 pm

Rubiconic Crossings V2 rev 1f wrote:So the VP of PR for Chick-fil-A dies of a heart attack.

Donald A. Perry, the Vice President of Corporate Public Relations for Chick-fil-A, has died.

WRBL reports:

Ross Cathy, the owner of the Midland, GA Chick-fil-A and family member of company CEO, Dan Cathy, tells News 3, Perry passed away this morning from a heart attack.

We are saddened to report the news to you that our dear friend Don Perry, vice president of public relations, passed away suddenly this morning.

Don was a member of our Chick-fil-A family for nearly 29 years. For many of you in the media, he was the spokesperson for Chick-fil-A. He was a well-respected and well-liked media executive in the Atlanta and University of Georgia communities, and we will all miss him.

Well, despite action movie and Klingon bravado, there's never really a good time to die. That's unfortunate.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Inky Noodles
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Inky Noodles » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:56 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

I prefer thighs and drumsticks myself.

All I see on TV is vegan propaganda...
Transnapastain wrote:

whaddo I do?!

So I just met you
and this is crazy
but heres my number
homecoming maybe?

*not a valid offer.

San Leggera wrote:
Even the females.

Hurdegaryp wrote:

18 year old Virginian

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:01 pm

Inky Noodles wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:I prefer thighs and drumsticks myself.

All I see on TV is vegan propaganda...

Get a new TV
*nods*
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Northern Dominus
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Dominus » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:01 pm

Arkinesia wrote:
Northern Dominus wrote:Nope, Dan Cathy was quoted that he did donate as such. The article provides links to the baptist media sites where the interview is posted.

The HuffPo article states that CFA donated $2m to anti-gay groups in 2010 and the quote was simply an admission of past donations, with no actual indication as to when such donations had occurred.

Unless you can prove with sources that CFA donated to explicitly anti-gay causes after February 2011 you have no case.
Just because they haven't admitted to it doesn't mean they haven't stopped. They got called out for it once so what kind of idiot would keep donating and talking about it after the shitstorm that it created?

Now maybe if the FRC would be so kind as to release their financial records, they are 501(c) after all.

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:23 pm

Twitter is a buzz about the failure of a boycott. One comment made me laugh:
"Having some bigot burgers and haterade. Delicious, really. (at Chick-fil-A)"

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:47 pm

Inky Noodles wrote:
Genivaria wrote:And you are what you eat, therefore Inky Noodles is bad ass.

You betcha! 8)

And just like that Inky Noodles was Sarah Paliin.

Jari Head
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Jari Head » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:47 pm

Rubiconic Crossings V2 rev 1f wrote:So the VP of PR for Chick-fil-A dies of a heart attack.

WRBL reports:

Hmm, He was in charge of PR for the entire company, PR VP's are usually seen as the 'company voice' and public company statements usually come from his office and if someone screws up, it's his office that gets to do 'damage control'. But what do you do when the one that signs your check and runs the company is the one that screwed up and said things that generated so much negative PR? Even if it is true, such statements shouldn't have been made in such a public forum.
You think the stress over how to 'fix' that mess is what caused the heartattack?
We have two companies of Marines running rampant all over the northern half of this island, and three Army regiments pinned down in the southwestern corner, doing nothing. What the hell is going on?
Gen. John W. Vessey Jr., USA, Chairman of the the Joint Chiefs of Staff during the assault on Grenada, 1983
A bullet may have your name on it, but a grenade is addressed: "To whom it may concern."

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General