NATION

PASSWORD

Ancient Alien Theory: Could it be?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Is the Ancient Alien Theory correct?

Yes(Specify)
7%
No (Specify)
67%
Maybye(Specify)
20%
Not Sure (Specify)
6%

Total votes : 118

Northern Dominus
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Dominus » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:02 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
Tekania wrote:
Yes, and Inquirer.com is my source that Tom Cruise is actually a woman and just gave birth to a squid-baby after being in a long term secret love trist with the Krakken.

no wonder katie divorced him/her, that bitch/bastard. Was there a picture of the baby with bat-boy?
There was...until the Lizard-Men took it.
Battletech RP: Giant walking war machines, space to surface fighters, and other implements blowing things up= lots of fun! Sign up here
We even have a soundtrack!

RIP Caroll Shelby 1923-2012
Aurora, Oak Creek, Happy Valley, Sandy Hook. Just how high a price are we willing to pay?

Ecans
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 04, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ecans » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:04 am

Avenio wrote:
Esternial wrote:But it would still define extraterrestrial life.

I'd much rather find a tree on another planet.

Yeah, but anaerobic life would be

a.) harder to find

and

b.) much less likely to be complex than aerobic life.

Because, let's face it, while it would be a fantastic discovery to find a primitive biosphere of methanogens on another planet, the ultimate goal is to find something that's like us - complex, technologically-sophisticated and proof that we're not alone in the universe.

Very true but I personally would be happy if an extra-terrestrial bacterium were found. The mere existence would open the floodgates and provide an immense push to exploration. Just imagine... :)
We are a liberal Democracy with many vocal, sometimes disruptive and often smelly opposition groups. These are tolerated with amused smiles and the occasional application of a well-placed baton.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:06 am

Ok how come in this thread, and this thread only, when i post the bottom ad is one for michelle bachman . If that is not proof of an ancient alien conspiracy i do not know what is. .. .

http://www.michelebachmann.com/landing/?cdtrack_creative=0598a06a-3ca2-41b0-8b00-361fd1a603d0&cdtrack_source=3db6b64a-7523-476f-83ab-f6d50ea69417&gclid=CNzB8
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Milks Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Milks Empire » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:07 am

Ethel mermania wrote:Ok how come in this thread, and this thread only, when i post the bottom ad is one for michelle bachman . If that is not proof of an ancient alien conspiracy i do not know what is. .. .
http://www.michelebachmann.com/landing/?cdtrack_creative=0598a06a-3ca2-41b0-8b00-361fd1a603d0&cdtrack_source=3db6b64a-7523-476f-83ab-f6d50ea69417&gclid=CNzB8

AQed! :rofl:

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:07 am

Ecans wrote:
Avenio wrote:
Yeah, but anaerobic life would be

a.) harder to find

and

b.) much less likely to be complex than aerobic life.

Because, let's face it, while it would be a fantastic discovery to find a primitive biosphere of methanogens on another planet, the ultimate goal is to find something that's like us - complex, technologically-sophisticated and proof that we're not alone in the universe.

Very true but I personally would be happy if an extra-terrestrial bacterium were found. The mere existence would open the floodgates and provide an immense push to exploration. Just imagine... :)
Imagine finding two trees.

Better get a hammock ready.

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Postby Esternial » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:08 am

Nordengrund wrote:
Esternial wrote:We might be the most advanced civilization.
All the time we've been depicting ourselves as the underdog, but we're actually the evil dominating race.

Aren't there any movies about that? Humans being the evil invaders?
COPYRIGHT!

Isn't that what Halo is about, humans being the invaders?

That's not a movie!

*retains copyright*

Metanih
Senator

Founded: Jan 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Metanih » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:09 am

Technically yes.

However it is very unlikely, and definitely is condescending to the Egyptians.
Nationstates Ninja
Second to Reploid Productions...
Everyone should watch this excellent show, and the movie Serenity.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0303461/

If you don't know me well, talk to me more. I have a DeviantArt account here. http://merin593.deviantart.com
Also, I am a pansexual genderfluid individual. If you don't know what that means, look it up. I deal with enough people asking in real life. . ;)

Priori
Envoy

Founded: May 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Priori » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:09 am

It might be true, but until substantial evidence proves otherwise... no.
Self-Appointed Sorcerer Supreme of NSG & F7

Illegitimate Son of Christmahanikwanzikah

Northern Dominus
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Dominus » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:11 am

Esternial wrote:
Nordengrund wrote:
Isn't that what Halo is about, humans being the invaders?

That's not a movie!

*retains copyright*
Uh I think Avatar preempted you there :p
Battletech RP: Giant walking war machines, space to surface fighters, and other implements blowing things up= lots of fun! Sign up here

Aurora, Oak Creek, Happy Valley, Sandy Hook. Just how high a price are we willing to pay?

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:13 am

Northern Dominus wrote:That's not a movie!

*retains copyright*
Uh I think Avatar preempted you there :p[/quote]

I'm still waiting for the sequel where we come back and kill the godless aliens for the resources they stole from us.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.
Desired perception: Logical, intellectual
Public perception: Neutral-positive - blunt, cold, logical, skilled at debating
Mindset: Logos

Northern Dominus
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Dominus » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:16 am

Des-Bal wrote:
Northern Dominus wrote:That's not a movie!

*retains copyright*

I'm still waiting for the sequel where we come back and kill the godless aliens for the resources they stole from us.[/quote] With more Hot Mech Action.

Kohlastan
Envoy

Founded: Feb 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Kohlastan » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:17 am

there, proof that the ancient alien people are nutjobs http://www.history.com/shows/ancient-aliens/episodes/ I would also like to note that one of the episodes is about the relation between aliens and bigfoot. I aperienty can also cite it as a creditable source. :rofl: ( see link)
Economic Left/Right: -5.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.15
Please note I'm too lazy to check for correct grammar and spelling
98% of all Internet users would cry if Facebook broke down. If you are part of that 2% who simply would sit back and laugh, copy and paste this into your sig.

The Realm of God
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Realm of God » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:17 am

Esternial wrote:
Northwest Slobovia wrote:Did we say they couldn't? There may be other life out there, maybe even other technological civilizations. But we just don't know that they do.

I don't think anybody's home within 100ly of us, but that's an informed guess, not fact. Having spent a few hours dicussing the matter with an actual astronomer, he thinks we can rule out only ~30ly of us definitively. OTOH, we can rule out star-faring civilizations much further, because we're not seeing their ships. (Assuming our physics is pretty close to the truth.)

We might be the most advanced civilization.
All the time we've been depicting ourselves as the underdog, but we're actually the evil dominating race.

Aren't there any movies about that? Humans being the evil invaders?
COPYRIGHT!

James Camerons Avatar perhaps.

Though it wasn't a very good film, by any means.
British, Orthodox Christian, humanist and stoic.

Pro. Disraelian Progressive Conservatism, One Nation Toryism, Distributionism, Civil Liberties, Pro UK, Pro US Constitution. Pro USA.

Progressive Conservative Economic Right: 0.38 Social Libertarian -2.00.

Christian Democrat NSG Senate.

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Postby Esternial » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:18 am

Northern Dominus wrote:
Esternial wrote:That's not a movie!

*retains copyright*

Damn. Cameron always gets in my way.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:19 am

Esternial wrote:
Northern Dominus wrote:Uh I think Avatar preempted you there :p

Could be worse, could be Kirk Cameron getting in your way.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Northern Dominus
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Dominus » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:21 am

Esternial wrote:
Northern Dominus wrote:Uh I think Avatar preempted you there :p

Cheer up, maybe you can make a movie about going to the bottom of the ocean and finding aliens there...

Nope, James Cameron preempted you there as well.

Farnhamia wrote:
Esternial wrote:Damn. Cameron always gets in my way.

Could be worse, could be Kirk Cameron getting in your way.
Oh right...

Wait, Kirk Cameron is serious? I thought it was one big cosmic joke he was pulling..

Ecans
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ecans » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:22 am

How about this...a thread that's witty, fun and semi-civilized in tone and content. Where am I anyway? NS you say?? :blink:
We are a liberal Democracy with many vocal, sometimes disruptive and often smelly opposition groups. These are tolerated with amused smiles and the occasional application of a well-placed baton.

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:24 am

Ecans wrote:Very true but I personally would be happy if an extra-terrestrial bacterium were found. The mere existence would open the floodgates and provide an immense push to exploration. Just imagine... :)

True; NASA's budget might go up by a few billion a year, and the ESA's might go up by a billion or so. ;) I don't see spending returning to the Space Race days, unless for some reason some government really decides that sending people to the outer solar system would be the right way to study this hypothetical biosphere. (Insanely hard for the Jovian moons, merely very hard for the Saturnian moons.)

It's really hard to say what anybody would do if we have telescopic evidence of another technological civ. I guess it would depend on how far away they were and our guess as to how technologically sophisticated they were. (Remember: "were" because whatever we see is decades old.)

Consider this speculation me and my astronomer friend were playing with... Suppose you detect an artificial radio signal from another star system. One thing you might do is try sending back whatever you heard -- same frequency, same modulation, maybe even the same signal -- because you reason that whoever is transmitting on that band is also listening on it. Well, the brightest radio sources on Earth are the DEW line and its Russian counterpart (and the Chinese one, if they have one). So, somebody's military might pick up extremely faint echoes on their radar.

Now, somebody could dismiss those as noise... but I'm sure there are people whose job it is to worry about the Other Guy's stealthy warheads. So somebody would probably study the "echo" and they'd quickly find out it's from Far Away. Now what? We guess, based on how the military responded to gamma-ray bursts and the constant rain of comets -- both picked up by early-warning satellites -- that they'd sit on the information for a decade while they verified it was not the Other Guys, and then they'd go public. But what then...?

There's some obvious stuff, like swinging every suitable telescope in the direction of the signal's source, and looking hard, but after that it gets tricky. There's a big difference between "Oh, they seem like us, lookit all the pollution in their atmosphere!" and evidence that they're more advanced, say proof of fusion reactors and/or fission/fusion rockets. Those kids rockets probably would worry us, because that that meant that they could, in principle, come for a visit...
Last edited by Northwest Slobovia on Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

Aleckandor
Minister

Founded: May 30, 2011

Postby Aleckandor » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:26 am

Could explain some ancient religious beliefs that many would be skeptical of now, but for the most part, highly unlikely.

♜♞♝ ~ THE GLOBAL SOVEREIGN CONFEDERACY OF ALECKANDOR ~ ♝♞♜
The IC demonym is "Aleckandorean(s)". Just call me Aleck.
"ANYBODY THAT SAID YOU WON'T EAT XMAS AND NEW YEAR RICE, LET THEM DIE BY FIRE!" - Based Ugandan (?) Chef

Confederate Constituencies | Ethnocultural Groups | Yerhvennian Continent Map | Diplomatic Relationships
RP Tech: MT/PMT | Total GDP: $354.6 Trillion | Population (2020): 24.7 Billion | Standing Military: 10.3 Million

Ecans
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ecans » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:32 am

Northwest Slobovia wrote:
Ecans wrote:Very true but I personally would be happy if an extra-terrestrial bacterium were found. The mere existence would open the floodgates and provide an immense push to exploration. Just imagine... :)

True; NASA's budget might go up by a few billion a year, and the ESA's might go up by a billion or so. ;) I don't see spending returning to the Space Race days, unless for some reason some government really decides that sending people to the outer solar system would be the right way to study this hypothetical biosphere. (Insanely hard for the Jovian moons, merely very hard for the Saturnian moons.)

It's really hard to say what anybody would do if we have telescopic evidence of another technological civ. I guess it would depend on how far away they were and our guess as to how technologically sophisticated they were. (Remember: "were" because whatever we see is decades old.)

Consider this speculation me and my astronomer friend were playing with... Suppose you detect an artificial radio signal from another star system. One thing you might do is try sending back whatever you heard -- same frequency, same modulation, maybe even the same signal -- because you reason that whoever is transmitting on that band is also listening on it. Well, the brightest radio sources on Earth are the DEW line and its Russian counterpart (and the Chinese one, if they have one). So, somebody's military might pick up extremely faint echoes on their radar.

Now, somebody could dismiss those as noise... but I'm sure there are people whose job it is to worry about the Other Guy's stealthy warheads. So somebody would probably study the "echo" and they'd quickly find out it's from Far Away. Now what? We guess, based on how the military responded to gamma-ray bursts and the constant rain of comets -- both picked up by early-warning satellites -- that they'd sit on the information for a decade while they verified it was not the Other Guys, and then they'd go public. But what then...?

What then indeed? A major shake-up in the established religions? New cults being hatched? A rush on tinfoil hats?
A lot of "deep thinking" for sure.

Furious Grandmothers
Senator

Founded: Jan 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Furious Grandmothers » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:39 am

Aleckandor wrote:Could explain some ancient religious beliefs that many would be skeptical of now, but for the most part, highly unlikely.

Code: Select all

Chinese Regions
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Chinese Regions » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:19 am

Aleckandor wrote:Could explain some ancient religious beliefs that many would be skeptical of now, but for the most part, highly unlikely.

You know, what if aliens thought thought the same about us?
http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/humans-ancient-aliens-guy.jpg
Fan of Transformers?|Fan of Star Trek?|你会说中文吗?
Geopolitics: Internationalist, Pan-Asian, Pan-African, Pan-Arab, Pan-Slavic, Eurofederalist,
  • For the promotion of closer ties between Europe and Russia but without Dugin's anti-intellectual quackery.
  • Against NATO, the Anglo-American "special relationship", Israel and Wahhabism.

Sociopolitics: Pro-Intellectual, Pro-Science, Secular, Strictly Anti-Theocractic, for the liberation of PoCs in Western Hemisphere without the hegemony of white liberals
Economics: Indifferent

The House of Petain
Minister

Founded: Jun 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The House of Petain » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:23 am

Is it really wrote:The History.com are the source.

:palm:

Goddamn what the History Channel has become.
Michael Augustine I of the House of Petain

Founder, Chief Executive & Emperor of Westphalia
1000 Schloss Nordkirchen Ave, Munster Capitol District, Westphalia 59394

Frisbeeteria
Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:23 am

There is a topic here, no matter how thoroughly debunked it may be. Knock it off with the meme-spam and get back on topic, or let it die, please.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:28 am

The House of Petain wrote:
Is it really wrote:The History.com are the source.

:palm:

Goddamn what the History Channel has become.

Uh, it's pretty sad for you to realize the channel is shit now.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General