NATION

PASSWORD

TMR's Art Gallery of Particular Interest (NOW IN COLOUR!)

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Staenwald
Senator

Founded: Oct 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Staenwald » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:53 am

The Merchant Republics wrote:Hurray, new uploads. No paint work done yet.

Wait, never mind. Forgot I finished my heavy infantry paint. Except the hands, but hands aren't that important... :p

I'm liking the techno-samurai look! You have good ideas. I finally decided on an idea for my art exam- i'm using Highrise as the buzzword, and i'm gonna do a critique of the super-tall skyscrapers and the arab kings.
Found my sig 6 months after joining...thanks Norstal.
Lord Tothe wrote:Well, if Karl Marx turns out to be right, I....I'll eat my hat! As a side note, I need to create a BaconHat (TM) for any such occasions where I may end up actually having to eat my hat. Of course, this isn't one of them.

Katganistan wrote:"You got some Galt not swallowing this swill."

The Black Forrest wrote:Oh go Galt yourself.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:45 am

I like the girl + city, but the old man looks a bit... Odd, in a way I can't quite explain. Otherwise, keep up the good work, these are very nice.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:00 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:I like the girl + city, but the old man looks a bit... Odd, in a way I can't quite explain. Otherwise, keep up the good work, these are very nice.

Probably since the nose bridge is too long and that the lips are feminine-like. Otherwise, not bad at all. I like the details on his eyes, forehead, and the shape of the neck.

Also, good job on the "Heavy Infantry" drawing. He looks like my concierge :P, but that looks pretty cool.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

The Merchant Republics
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Merchant Republics » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:02 pm

Saurisisia wrote:Awesome!

Do Lizards!

I've been working on one, quite good one, of all my "scalie" species, I should be done this weekend, maybe.

Norstal wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:I like the girl + city, but the old man looks a bit... Odd, in a way I can't quite explain. Otherwise, keep up the good work, these are very nice.

Probably since the nose bridge is too long and that the lips are feminine-like. Otherwise, not bad at all. I like the details on his eyes, forehead, and the shape of the neck.

Also, good job on the "Heavy Infantry" drawing. He looks like my concierge :P, but that looks pretty cool.

Entirely correct, it's a fault I make on about 3/5 of all my sketches, I draw the face and particularly the nose too long, sadly I use the techniques which should stop you, (drawing the guide lines for the nose and eyes) but I some how ignore them.

The lips are also too full. Nonetheless I liked it enough to post it.

Yeah, my Heavy Infantry are actually just a little bit inspired by a mixture of a hotel bell hop and Red coat with armour.
Last edited by The Merchant Republics on Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your Resident Gentleman and Libertarian; presently living in the People's Republic of China, which is if anyone from the Party asks "The Best and Also Only China".
Christian Libertarian Autarchist: like an Anarchist but with more "Aut".
Social: Authoritarian/Libertarian (-8.55)
Economic: Left/Right (7.55)
We are the premiere of civilization, the beacon of liberty, the font of prosperity and the ever illuminating light of culture in this hellish universe.
In short: Elitist Wicked Cultured Free Market Anarchists living in a Diesel-Deco World.

Now Fearing: Mandarin Lessons from Cantonese teachers.
Factbook (FT)|Art Gallery|Embassy Program

Oterro
Post Marshal

Founded: May 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Oterro » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:04 pm

I like the heavy infantry chap; the helmet in particular, what did you base the design on? Or was it original? If so, it's rather dapper. I get pith helmet vibes from it.
we, unlike the bourgeoisie, have nothing to lose and therefore our expression will be the only honest one, our words will be the only challenging ones and our art will be the one revolutionary expression. We need new noise and new voices and new canvases to become something more than the last poets of a useless generation.

The Merchant Republics
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The Merchant Republics » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:09 pm

Oterro wrote:I like the heavy infantry chap; the helmet in particular, what did you base the design on? Or was it original? If so, it's rather dapper. I get pith helmet vibes from it.

It was a mixture of a Pith Helmet + Stahlhelm with a little bit of Galea (the Roman Helmet if you aren't familiar). It's essentially my nation made into a hat, Dieselpunk + Steampunk + Ancient Rome in the Future!
Your Resident Gentleman and Libertarian; presently living in the People's Republic of China, which is if anyone from the Party asks "The Best and Also Only China".
We are the premiere of civilization, the beacon of liberty, the font of prosperity and the ever illuminating light of culture in this hellish universe.
In short: Elitist Wicked Cultured Free Market Anarchists living in a Diesel-Deco World.

Oterro
Post Marshal

Founded: May 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Oterro » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:14 pm

The Merchant Republics wrote:
Oterro wrote:I like the heavy infantry chap; the helmet in particular, what did you base the design on? Or was it original? If so, it's rather dapper. I get pith helmet vibes from it.

It was a mixture of a Pith Helmet + Stahlhelm with a little bit of Galea (the Roman Helmet if you aren't familiar). It's essentially my nation made into a hat, Dieselpunk + Steampunk + Ancient Rome in the Future!

Then your nation must be rather dapper!

Edit: Make it white though, for bonus stlye points.
Last edited by Oterro on Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
we, unlike the bourgeoisie, have nothing to lose and therefore our expression will be the only honest one, our words will be the only challenging ones and our art will be the one revolutionary expression. We need new noise and new voices and new canvases to become something more than the last poets of a useless generation.

The Merchant Republics
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The Merchant Republics » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:27 pm

Oterro wrote:
The Merchant Republics wrote:It was a mixture of a Pith Helmet + Stahlhelm with a little bit of Galea (the Roman Helmet if you aren't familiar). It's essentially my nation made into a hat, Dieselpunk + Steampunk + Ancient Rome in the Future!

Then your nation must be rather dapper!

Edit: Make it white though, for bonus stlye points.

I was toying with bronze, gold and silver at different times, I guess I can see how white looks.

Oh yes. We are very dapper.

^I intend to replace those picture with my own soon enough.
Last edited by The Merchant Republics on Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Merchant Republics
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The Merchant Republics » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:35 pm

Greater Tezdrian
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Tezdrian » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:19 am

TMR, your work is beautiful.
Puppetmaster for Hashemite Arabiyah

United Casio
Ambassador

Founded: May 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby United Casio » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:24 am

The Merchant Republics wrote:So, for the last little bit I've been meaning to start one of these. I draw a lot and I've been told I'm quite good, but I've not really had a real reason to start one, I usually post my artwork on facebook, but with my most recent painting, I can shake the feeling that it looks too much like a person who I'd rather not knew of it. Besides, I've got plenty of pictures I want to add to my factbook.

So without further ado, The Merchant Republics own Art Gallery.

Oh, hey and I'm usually open to new sketch ideas, so if you want to make requests, go right ahead, might take a while to upload though.

Thats amazing!! The old man in profile looks like Caligula The Roman Emperor.

The girl plus city is good.

None at the moment.
Name:The People's State of United Casio
Leader: Undefined
Ideology:Communism
Main Race:Aryan
Delegacies held:2
Founderships held:10
Use of Nuclear Weapons? Assured.
My nations ideology, Communism, does not represent my own ideology
Peacetime readiness
The Corparation wrote:You burned a caked.......you poor sadistic bastard. What did that cake ever do to you?

The Merchant Republics
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The Merchant Republics » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:56 pm

New Work!

Finally I've figured out the correct proportions for faces, this means my latest stuff is frankly much better then previous. Took a little advice from Signori Di Vinci on proportions.

Last edited by The Merchant Republics on Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Staenwald
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Staenwald » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:12 pm

The Merchant Republics wrote:New Work!

Finally I've figured out the correct proportions for faces, this means my latest stuff is frankly much better then previous. Took a little advice from Signori Di Vinci on proportions.

if you wanted to know the proportion for face i'd have told you!

the face is 5 eye-widths apart, and the eyes lie in the 2nd and 4th position. the ga between the eyes is one eye-width wide. The eyes are level with the point at which the ears curl up and away from you head. the chin to the nose and the nose to the hairline are of equal heights.

i like them by the way! Here are some of mine. my painting of the woman is nearly finished...i just need to rework the hair and the hands.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/37472667@N ... hotostream
Lord Tothe wrote:Well, if Karl Marx turns out to be right, I....I'll eat my hat! As a side note, I need to create a BaconHat (TM) for any such occasions where I may end up actually having to eat my hat. Of course, this isn't one of them.

Norstal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:43 pm

You are getting better. I like how you put so much details into the characters' clothes.

Though the proportions of the arms and hands still needs more work. Don't worry, I do the same when I draw human figures. I keep making their arms look fat. But, it really depicts the style of a bygone era. I almost feel...nostalgic, even if I weren't born during that time.

The Merchant Republics
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The Merchant Republics » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:03 pm

Norstal wrote:

You are getting better. I like how you put so much details into the characters' clothes.

Though the proportions of the arms and hands still needs more work. Don't worry, I do the same when I draw human figures. I keep making their arms look fat. But, it really depicts the style of a bygone era. I almost feel...nostalgic, even if I weren't born during that time.

Yes. I know.

I found the Vitruvian Man I did really helped with arm and hand proportions. but I still have trouble applying that in sketches.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:54 pm

Loving the man on the bench.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

The Merchant Republics
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The Merchant Republics » Tue May 10, 2011 9:00 pm

Ah, now if you liked the work I've done until now wait until you see what I did this week.

"Belle Ombre"

"Artist Enclosed"

Staenwald
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Staenwald » Tue May 10, 2011 10:55 pm

The Merchant Republics wrote:Ah, now if you liked the work I've done until now wait until you see what I did this week.

"Belle Ombre"
(Image)

"Artist Enclosed"
(Image)

pretty awesome. And i can't complain considering you make them up and don't copy them...which is all i'm good at ;)

Zeth Rekia
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Zeth Rekia » Tue May 10, 2011 11:00 pm

The Merchant Republics wrote:Ah, now if you liked the work I've done until now wait until you see what I did this week.

"Belle Ombre"
(Image)

"Artist Enclosed"
(Image)

Good job. :3

The Merchant Republics
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The Merchant Republics » Tue May 10, 2011 11:38 pm

Staenwald wrote:

"Belle Ombre"
(Image)

"Artist Enclosed"
(Image)

pretty awesome. And i can't complain considering you make them up and don't copy them...which is all i'm good at ;)

I've actually only recently gotten good at even copying from a picture.

Most of these were drawn from scratch. Like the girl, though I did use a mirror to draw myself.

Staenwald
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Staenwald » Wed May 11, 2011 9:16 am

The Merchant Republics wrote:
Staenwald wrote:

I've actually only recently gotten good at even copying from a picture.

Most of these were drawn from scratch. Like the girl, though I did use a mirror to draw myself.

nice

Helghast empire
Minister

Founded: Oct 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Helghast empire » Wed May 11, 2011 5:41 pm

ah a good drawer, well done mister, well done :)

Norstal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Wed May 11, 2011 6:20 pm

"Belle Ombre"

"Artist Enclosed"

That's actually perfect. I really do think, looking at these pictures, you've perfected your own unique style. Nice job. :)

The Merchant Republics
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The Merchant Republics » Wed May 11, 2011 8:01 pm

Norstal wrote:

"Belle Ombre"

"Artist Enclosed"

That's actually perfect. I really do think, looking at these pictures, you've perfected your own unique style. Nice job. :)

You've said precisely what my mother did when I showed them to her. Which you shouldn't take as an insult, she's a professional theatrical designer.

Said that she would change things but it's essentially perfect if it's a style. I've got about two or three more of these pictures I'm working on right now.

The Merchant Republics
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The Merchant Republics » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:10 pm

A dozen or so sketches I made in my note book, working on emotions and various other things. Some of them are quite good.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction