NATION

PASSWORD

Did Fallout New Vegas live up to expectations?

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Well, did it!?

I was as excited as a Deathclaw in Bigtown for this game, and it did not disappoint!
29%
I was expecting the same, but was pleasantly surprised.
10%
I thought it was the same.
No votes
I was expecting the world from this, and it didn't live up.
10%
I was about as excited as Scribe Bigsley for this game, and it sucked.
5%
I didn't get it...
12%
It's only been a day since the game came out, can you not wait at least 48 hours before making a thread like this? God...
34%

Total votes : 41

Valrem
Spokesperson

Founded: May 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrem » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:56 pm

Get over yourself, it exists and its canon.

Agreed. Your whole argument is pretty much "It isn't cannon because I SAY it isn't cannon." And I'm pretty sure some of the things you're complaining about were explained in the game.

Ramsetia
Minister

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ramsetia » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:25 pm

F;NV is really dead-set against people using non-combat characters. I can't go five steps without getting my ass handed to me.

That being said...I CAN open any door or unlock any computer in the game. And out-sneak super mutant nightkin...
Our national Embassy Programme: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=30197
Our Standard Factbook: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=30375&start=0
Our FT-specific Factbook: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=47987&start=0
My photobucket: http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n37/houseckatna/ speak, 'friend', and enter.

I do request-art for weapons, vehicles, and soldiers. Telegramme me for further details, or if you've given me a request that I seem to have forgotten.

Aubelland
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Aubelland » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:30 pm

Nope.
"Sieg fur Aubelland! Sieg fur Freiheit! Sieg fur Herr Kaiser!"
Current Political Leaning: Centre-Right
Economy Type: Rhine Capitalism
Capitalism Government Type: Federal Representative Republic
Government Leader: Bundeskanzler (Chancellor) Otto Willhelmson
Figurehead: Herr Kaiser Sven Ostblitz III

Hegstoria
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Hegstoria » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:35 pm

Ramsetia wrote:F;NV is really dead-set against people using non-combat characters. I can't go five steps without getting my ass handed to me.

That being said...I CAN open any door or unlock any computer in the game. And out-sneak super mutant nightkin...

Without Chinese Stealth armor I find it useless to upgrade my sneak very high *sighs* I miss my Stealth Armor.

Also, combat is pretty tough, I won't dispute that. Trust me, get a follower, they can't die in New Vegas (so long as you aren't playing on Hardcore). I've really only had exceptional problems with those Czardas bug things and the Nightstalker animals. I usually just keep moving, aiming for the head if they're close or body if they're in the distance. My best advice is upgrade your guns and get on the good side of the BoS, NCR, Gun runners, and the Van Graffs so that you get the best weapons and armor you possible can. Though I'm sure I don't need to tell you how to actually play the game.

Also, am I the only one who thinks the fiends are extremely over powered? They're supposed to be drugged out Raiders yet they take a hit like an Enclave soldier. It's crazy.
"Quotation is a serviceable substitute for wit."-Oscar Wilde

Defcon 5: Pax Hegstoriana
Defcon 4: Ehh, things are pretty good, but a bit heated
Defcon 3: War seems near, but not at the moment, and far from the mind
Defcon 2: Get a helmet
Defcon 1: Put on said helmet

Colonies: South-West Hegstodia, The Hegstoria Rhodesian Confederacy(3 independent colonies), Fuair

Major Leaders: President Jonathan F. Shepherd, Vice President Francis P. Sinclair, Minister of the Interior Samuel D. Lisbon, Minister of the Armed Forces General Stanley C. McAlister

Map: -currently under a redesign-

Size: 7,825,600 km^2

Life Expectancy: 84.59 years Courtesy of Unibot

Alliances: Skyguard Defense Network

embassy program

Ramsetia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ramsetia » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:37 pm

Hegstoria wrote:
Ramsetia wrote:F;NV is really dead-set against people using non-combat characters. I can't go five steps without getting my ass handed to me.

Without Chinese Stealth armor I find it useless to upgrade my sneak very high *sighs* I miss my Stealth Armor.

Also, combat is pretty tough, I won't dispute that. Trust me, get a follower, they can't die in New Vegas (so long as you aren't playing on Hardcore). I've really only had exceptional problems with those Czardas bug things and the Nightstalker animals. I usually just keep moving, aiming for the head if they're close or body if they're in the distance. My best advice is upgrade your guns and get on the good side of the BoS, NCR, Gun runners, and the Van Graffs so that you get the best weapons and armor you possible can. Though I'm sure I don't need to tell you how to actually play the game.

Also, am I the only one who thinks the fiends are extremely over powered? They're supposed to be drugged out Raiders yet they take a hit like an Enclave soldier. It's crazy.

The fiends ARE drugged-out raiders.

Anyway...yeah, that might help...if I had more than 2 strength and a guns skill that wasn't less than 20. And I didn't hate having followers on principle.

And no, I'm nowhere near levelling up, so I'll have to deal with this problem for a while.
My photobucket: http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n37/houseckatna/ speak, 'friend', and enter.

I do request-art for weapons, vehicles, and soldiers. Telegramme me for further details, or if you've given me a request that I seem to have forgotten.

Hegstoria
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hegstoria » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:41 pm

Ramsetia wrote:
Hegstoria wrote:Without Chinese Stealth armor I find it useless to upgrade my sneak very high *sighs* I miss my Stealth Armor.

Anyway...yeah, that might help...if I had more than 2 strength and a guns skill that wasn't less than 20. And I didn't hate having followers on principle.

And no, I'm nowhere near levelling up, so I'll have to deal with this problem for a while.

Yeah, but raiders in FO3 were so easy to kill. A few bullets to the torso and they were dead. But now, now they absorb everything, I've taken to using the grenade launcher on them. I actually prefer meeting super mutants than I do Fiends, which is really bad imo.

Yeah, I was the same in FO3. I hated the Followers, and my guns were not high at all. I generally just snuck around the wastes and killing most enemies with the Gaus Rifle from a distance, or slipping a grenade in their pocket. *sighs* Oh the memories...

Colonies: South-West Hegstodia, The Hegstoria Rhodesian Confederacy(3 independent colonies), Fuair

Major Leaders: President Jonathan F. Shepherd, Vice President Francis P. Sinclair, Minister of the Interior Samuel D. Lisbon, Minister of the Armed Forces General Stanley C. McAlister

embassy program

Ramsetia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ramsetia » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:44 pm

Hegstoria wrote:
Ramsetia wrote:

Yeah, but raiders in FO3 were so easy to kill. A few bullets to the torso and they were dead. But now, now they absorb everything, I've taken to using the grenade launcher on them. I actually prefer meeting super mutants than I do Fiends, which is really bad imo.

Yeah, I was the same in FO3. I hated the Followers, and my guns were not high at all. I generally just snuck around the wastes and killing most enemies with the Gaus Rifle from a distance, or slipping a grenade in their pocket. *sighs* Oh the memories...

My fondest memories of F3 were leaving tenpenny tower with a silenced 10mm pistol, and just going around sneaking up on shit. Never, ever used the chinese stealth armour or stealth boys. Relied totally on sneaking skill, and the fact I never used power armour as anything other than house decoration. Right beside my alien.

Hegstoria
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hegstoria » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:51 pm

Ramsetia wrote:
Hegstoria wrote:Yeah, but raiders in FO3 were so easy to kill. A few bullets to the torso and they were dead. But now, now they absorb everything, I've taken to using the grenade launcher on them. I actually prefer meeting super mutants than I do Fiends, which is really bad imo.

My fondest memories of F3 were leaving tenpenny tower with a silenced 10mm pistol, and just going around sneaking up on shit. Never, ever used the chinese stealth armour or stealth boys. Relied totally on sneaking skill, and the fact I never used power armour as anything other than house decoration. Right beside my alien.

Stealth Armor had all the advantages of Stealth Boys, with none of the disadvantages. It was basically cheating, though.

I'm guessing you played on the PC, thats how you got an alien into your house?

embassy program

Ramsetia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ramsetia » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:01 pm

Hegstoria wrote:
Ramsetia wrote:

Stealth Armor had all the advantages of Stealth Boys, with none of the disadvantages. It was basically cheating, though.

No, just on the balcony outside. Took a lot of mines and a grenade, but I had plenty to spare. Just catapulted the guy up with the game's own physics engine.

And yeah, i have all the F3 DLC, so I know what the stealth armour is. I tend to keep unique or rare things on display, and not use them.

Hegstoria
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hegstoria » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:11 pm

Ramsetia wrote:
Hegstoria wrote:Stealth Armor had all the advantages of Stealth Boys, with none of the disadvantages. It was basically cheating, though.

No, just on the balcony outside. Took a lot of mines and a grenade, but I had plenty to spare. Just catapulted the guy up with the game's own physics engine.

And yeah, i have all the F3 DLC, so I know what the stealth armour is. I tend to keep unique or rare things on display, and not use them.

How did you get the alien from the Mothership Zeta to Tenpenny? I know you said with mines and grenades, but... how.

embassy program

UberWeegeeia
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 04, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby UberWeegeeia » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:13 pm

Hegstoria wrote:
Ramsetia wrote:

How did you get the alien from the Mothership Zeta to Tenpenny? I know you said with mines and grenades, but... how.

Well, he could've gotten the Unidentified Flying Debris random encounter nearby Tenpenny Tower (Not sure if that produces an alien corpse, but it's still a possibility.) and dragged the body over there, which might've taken awhile.
OR he might've dragged the alien corpse from the alien crash site and somehow made it to Tenpenny Tower alive.
Winner of 2002-2010 most negative person on earth.
"Four score and seven years ago, our forefathers snuck up behind a Super Mutant and buried their Shock Swords in his mutated ass!"
Most hated person on F7.
The Coalition For The Advancement Of Anthropomorphic Rights. Every one of you that joins is another punch to the ANTIFA's face!
Proud defender of furries.

Hegstoria
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hegstoria » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:18 pm

UberWeegeeia wrote:
Hegstoria wrote:How did you get the alien from the Mothership Zeta to Tenpenny? I know you said with mines and grenades, but... how.

Well, he could've gotten the Unidentified Flying Debris random encounter nearby Tenpenny Tower (Not sure if that produces an alien corpse, but it's still a possibility.) and dragged the body over there, which might've taken awhile.
OR he might've dragged the alien corpse from the alien crash site and somehow made it to Tenpenny Tower alive.

That's Deathclaw territory, countless cliff sides, enclave camps, and raiders to deal with. I doubt she (Ram's a girl) did that. I suppose it;s possible that she got the ship to blow up near Tenpenny, though the chances are very small.

embassy program

Ramsetia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ramsetia » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:24 pm

Hegstoria wrote:
UberWeegeeia wrote:Well, he could've gotten the Unidentified Flying Debris random encounter nearby Tenpenny Tower (Not sure if that produces an alien corpse, but it's still a possibility.) and dragged the body over there, which might've taken awhile.

That's Deathclaw territory, countless cliff sides, enclave camps, and raiders to deal with. I doubt she (Ram's a girl) did that. I suppose it;s possible that she got the ship to blow up near Tenpenny, though the chances are very small.

Well I'm sorry that I spent the money I could have used to get a capture card on actually buying the game, but yeah, just used the good ol' 'physics grab' button and dragged him with me. And my Laser Rifle. And combat shotgun. And several, several, several grenades.

Hegstoria
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hegstoria » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:27 pm

Ramsetia wrote:
Hegstoria wrote:That's Deathclaw territory, countless cliff sides, enclave camps, and raiders to deal with. I doubt she (Ram's a girl) did that. I suppose it;s possible that she got the ship to blow up near Tenpenny, though the chances are very small.

Well I'm sorry that I spent the money I could have used to get a capture card on actually buying the game, but yeah, just used the good ol' 'physics grab' button and dragged him with me. And my Laser Rifle. And combat shotgun. And several, several, several grenades.

Dear god... That's some determination you have. I would never make it all the way, I'd probably get fed up half way through and leave the body out in the middle of nowhere.

embassy program

Ramsetia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ramsetia » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:29 pm

Hegstoria wrote:
Ramsetia wrote:

Dear god... That's some determination you have. I would never make it all the way, I'd probably get fed up half way through and leave the body out in the middle of nowhere.

It's not determination. It's just that I really, really wanted that alien. Getting the giant teddy bears (and posing them in a lewd and suggestive manner because I'm an immature prat) was so much easier.

Hegstoria
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hegstoria » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:37 pm

Ramsetia wrote:
Hegstoria wrote:Dear god... That's some determination you have. I would never make it all the way, I'd probably get fed up half way through and leave the body out in the middle of nowhere.

It's not determination. It's just that I really, really wanted that alien. Getting the giant teddy bears (and posing them in a lewd and suggestive manner because I'm an immature prat) was so much easier.

:lol:
I still wouldn't have made it. I have so little patience, that I'd just flip out half way through and just start shooting the body with a rocket launcher or something.

That reminds me of all the Enclave patrols out in the wastes that seem to have been doing a little more than shooting ghouls at the time of their death :P. God, FO3 was such a great game.

embassy program

Ramsetia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ramsetia » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:40 pm

Hegstoria wrote:
Ramsetia wrote:It's not determination. It's just that I really, really wanted that alien. Getting the giant teddy bears (and posing them in a lewd and suggestive manner because I'm an immature prat) was so much easier.

:lol:
I still wouldn't have made it. I have so little patience, that I'd just flip out half way through and just start shooting the body with a rocket launcher or something.

That reminds me of all the Enclave patrols out in the wastes that seem to have been doing a little more than shooting ghouls at the time of their death :P. God, FO3 was such a great game.

There wasn't so much 'scripted' humour, like Johnny five-aces, or the hat and skeleton in a fridge, or the kid with the psychic nullifier, but there was just so much fun to be had if you went looking for it.

UberWeegeeia
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 04, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby UberWeegeeia » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:44 pm

Ramsetia wrote:
Hegstoria wrote: :lol:

There wasn't so much 'scripted' humour, like Johnny five-aces, or the hat and skeleton in a fridge, or the kid with the psychic nullifier, but there was just so much fun to be had if you went looking for it.

Ragdoll physics is great for that kind of fun.
Like the time I headshotted a supermutant, he did an impressive sideways flip, he fell on a stair rail, and flopped right onto a generator that was about to explode.
Quite lovely, if I do say so myself.
Winner of 2002-2010 most negative person on earth.
"Four score and seven years ago, our forefathers snuck up behind a Super Mutant and buried their Shock Swords in his mutated ass!"
Most hated person on F7.
The Coalition For The Advancement Of Anthropomorphic Rights. Every one of you that joins is another punch to the ANTIFA's face!
Proud defender of furries.

Faith Hope Charity
Minister

Founded: Mar 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Faith Hope Charity » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:45 pm

I found Fo:NV really rough at the beginning, I played FO3 only in Very Hard mode, exclusively, and found it very manageable. The DR in NV makes it ALOT harder, even in normal mode. I find it quite enjoyable now, it feels more realistic then FO3, and i like that they took item making to the next level with the ammo and food and such, kinda fun.
Last edited by Faith Hope Charity on Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Je Suis Geller
Economic Right: 10.00
Social Libertarian: -6.77

People who denounce the free market and voluntary exchange, and are for control and coercion, believe they have more intelligence and superior wisdom to the masses. What's more, they believe they've been ordained to forcibly impose that wisdom on the rest of us. Of course, they have what they consider good reasons for doing so, but every tyrant that has ever existed has had what he believed were good reasons for restricting the liberty of others.
-Walter E. Williams

http://www.isidewith.com/results/426705837

Hegstoria
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hegstoria » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:49 pm

Ramsetia wrote:
Hegstoria wrote: :lol:

There was some pretty jarring and humorous things the devs put in. I explored most of the buildings in FO3 (Because I'm an Achievement whore and wanted to get the achievement for finding 200 locations) and I found both hilarious, as well as pretty sick things in some of them. I remember all the drainage tunnels with skeletons on the floor, a blood stain on the wall, and a pistol next to the skeleton. One that really stuck with me was this one that had an entire family down there, who starved. Some sick stuff. Of course, there was also some hilarious stuff sprinkled throughout, but New Vegas definitely has more. I get the feeling Bethesda wanted to be more serious with FO3, whereas Chris Avellone wanted to keep a lot of the dark humor from the original 2 with New Vegas.
Last edited by Hegstoria on Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

embassy program

Mad hatters in jeans
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 14, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Mad hatters in jeans » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:04 am

Hegstoria wrote:First of all, I'm a veteran Fallout player (I did the tutorial for the XP and caps) so don't try and give me advice on how to play the game (I know most tricks in the book) or how exploration is fine, I already know that. Secondly
, what happened was I went to the Strip before I completed the story quests leading up to your arrival, and was told to go see Mr. House, I did so and then realized I had just skipped several Story Quests.
That was the problem. But it's not a problem anymore, I reloaded an earlier save.

you what now? you asked for advice in the OP.
Last edited by Mad hatters in jeans on Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hegstoria
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hegstoria » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:29 am

Mad hatters in jeans wrote:
Hegstoria wrote:First of all, I'm a veteran Fallout player (I did the tutorial for the XP and caps) so don't try and give me advice on how to play the game (I know most tricks in the book) or how exploration is fine, I already know that. Secondly
, what happened was I went to the Strip before I completed the story quests leading up to your arrival, and was told to go see Mr. House, I did so and then realized I had just skipped several Story Quests.
That was the problem. But it's not a problem anymore, I reloaded an earlier save.

you what now? you asked for advice in the OP.

On what to do in that situation, not on how to play the game.

embassy program

Unicario
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Unicario » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:58 am

I'd personally say it was a good game. I liked it. :)
Dai Ginkaigan Teikoku
Head of State: Ranko XIX Tentai
Ruling party is the Zenminjintō (Socialist Coalition)
Ginkaigan is currently at peace.

Jostedule
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 09, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Jostedule » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:10 pm

Loved everything about it, except for the bugs

Hegstoria
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hegstoria » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:14 pm

Jostedule wrote:Loved everything about it, except for the bugs

What bugs? Aside from Veronica running off from me and the occasional getting stuck, I have found no game killing bugs. None of my saves have been corrupted, no quests f'ed up (that I can see anyway), no missing NPC's, nothing. I've noticed some cosmetic issues, but hardly stuff I would complain about.

embassy program

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction