NATION

PASSWORD

Kirk Vs Picard

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

United Earthlings
Minister

Founded: Aug 17, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby United Earthlings » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:54 am

The Kirk vs Picard debate has long since been settled, to use cultural references from other sci-fi shows see Futurerama episodes "I Dated a Robot"-carefully review the trek scene and for a quick guide "Where No Fan Has Gone Before".

Also, considering Picard actually manage to survive till the end and Kirk managed to die not just once, but twice with the second time in a fight against Suran, I think Picard is FTW considering he's actually the only one left alive to fight another day.

NERVUN wrote:I rather like Sisko, but this wasn't a best Trek captain thread so.

Well, it is now...Since, I prefer DS9 and Sisko is so much more of a badass, who else could punch a Q and get away with it, who else could not just incite one intergalactic war, but two {Bringing the Romulans into the fight} and not be court-marital by Starfleet for violating the Prime Directive and all that the Federation stands for.

Sisko wins hands down...
Last edited by United Earthlings on Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Commonwealth Defence Export|OC Thread for Storefront|Write-Ups
Embassy Page|Categories Types

You may delay, but time will not, therefore make sure to enjoy the time you've wasted.

Welcome to the NSverse, where funding priorities and spending levels may seem very odd, to say the least.

Meridiani Planum
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 03, 2006
Capitalizt

Postby Meridiani Planum » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:18 am

The answer is obvious...

Captain John Sheridan.
I shall choose friends among men, but neither slaves nor masters.
- Ayn Rand

MisanthropicPopulism
Minister

Founded: Apr 10, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby MisanthropicPopulism » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:27 am

United Earthlings wrote:Well, it is now...Since, I prefer DS9 and Sisko is so much more of a badass, who else could punch a Q and get away with it, who else could not just incite one intergalactic war, but two {Bringing the Romulans into the fight} and not be court-marital by Starfleet for violating the Prime Directive and all that the Federation stands for.

That's not what the Prime Directive is and bringing the Romulans into the fight (by ATTACKING them) was solely the work of the Cardassian ex-pat
When life gives you lemons, lemonade for the lemonade god!

United Earthlings
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby United Earthlings » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:09 am

MisanthropicPopulism wrote:That's not what the Prime Directive is

Not all of it, but it is a facet of it as gleaned from the various canons, I.E. shows.

bringing the Romulans into the fight (by ATTACKING them) was solely the work of the Cardassian ex-pat

You might want to re-watch that episode again as your missing some key facts.

You may delay, but time will not, therefore make sure to enjoy the time you've wasted.

Welcome to the NSverse, where funding priorities and spending levels may seem very odd, to say the least.

Arylyx
Attaché

Founded: Jul 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Arylyx » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:21 am

I'll just rank them all:

Picard beats Kirk
Picard beats Sisko
Picard beats Janeway
Janeway beats Kirk
Janeway beats Sisko
Kirk beats Sisko
Archer doesn't count.

Sith Korriban
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sith Korriban » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:24 am

And I say
Bounce a graviton particle beam
Off the main deflector dish
That's the way we do things lad
We're makin' shit up as we wish~

I prefer Sisko, though Picard comes in second.

And I would actively pay to see Kirk have to deal with Major Kira Nerys...

Kirk: *sleazesleaze*
Kira: ... *glare*
Kirk: *waggles eyebrow and talks more jerkily*
Kira: *rips out Kirk's intestines and uses them to strangle him, because she don't take that shit from anyone*
~Dark Lady of the Sith
"Sometimes you have to walk in darkness to bring the truth to light"
"So be angry about that! Hate! Rage! Despair! Allow yourself, just once, to stop playing the game of Jedi Knight, and admit what you have always known: you are alone, and you are great, and when the world strikes you it is better to strike back than turn your cheek." ―Dooku, to Yoda

KludgeMUSH
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 29, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby KludgeMUSH » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:30 am

Pandemicia wrote:Kirk > Cue-ball Picard any day

Peh. Kirk wears a toupee. At least Picard is openly bald!

MisanthropicPopulism
Minister

Founded: Apr 10, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby MisanthropicPopulism » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:39 am

United Earthlings wrote:Not all of it, but it is a facet of it as gleaned from the various canons, I.E. shows.

No, it's none of it. The Prime Directive is you cannot interfere with developing civilizations (which if I recall, means that they are not warp capable)

You might want to re-watch that episode again as your missing some key facts.

And what exactly am I missing? They WERE trying to ally with the Romulans against the Dominion, and the Romulans were about to blow them off until the guy blew them up and made it look like the Dominion did it.
Last edited by MisanthropicPopulism on Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
When life gives you lemons, lemonade for the lemonade god!

United Earthlings
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby United Earthlings » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:09 am

MisanthropicPopulism wrote:No, it's none of it. The Prime Directive is you cannot interfere with developing civilizations (which if I recall, means that they are not warp capable)

Slight correction on my part, I was referring more to the other Starfleet directives or General Orders that the Prime Directive is part of. So, yes you are correct in that the Prime Directive deals mainly with non-interference in developing civilizations and which was later amended to include warp capable species.

Still using the amended version, Sisko still violated the Prime Directive by interfering in the internal affairs of the Romulan Empire. He just got away with it, because the Federation was in desperate straits at the time.

And what exactly am I missing? They WERE trying to ally with the Romulans against the Dominion, and the Romulans were about to blow them off until the guy blew them up and made it look like the Dominion did it.

Quite a bit in fact, Sisko securing Grathon Tolar from execution from the Klingon Empire which could only be done by convincing Gowron to free him, the trading of a rare biomemetic gel, which was not for sale at any price and was strictly controlled by the Federation, to trade for an genuine Cardassian holographic data rod and that's just for starters. Would you like me to go on?

If, you really think Garak could have arranged those things above by himself, I'd love to hear it because that's not what they implied in the episode, which you really need to sit down and watch again sometime.

Merssan
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Merssan » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:16 am

Fucking Picard all the way.

GeneralHaNor
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby GeneralHaNor » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:20 am

First, I came when I read this topic title

Second, Jean-Luc, you can't pick anybody else and be honest with yourself
Victorious Decepticons wrote:If they said "this is what you enjoy so do this" and handed me a stack of my favorite video games, then it'd be far different. But governments don't work that way. They'd hand me a dishrag...
And I'd hand them an insurgency.
Trotskylvania wrote:Don't kid yourself. The state is a violent, destructive institution of class dictatorship. The fact that the proles have bargained themselves the drippings from their master's plates doesn't legitimize the state.

Niravon
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Niravon » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:21 am

Picard simply because I've never seen the original startrek's episodes beyond the youtube videos labelled Worst Fight Ever or something like that.

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:23 am

MisanthropicPopulism wrote:
United Earthlings wrote:Not all of it, but it is a facet of it as gleaned from the various canons, I.E. shows.

No, it's none of it. The Prime Directive is you cannot interfere with developing civilizations (which if I recall, means that they are not warp capable)

No, by the 24th Century, it included non-interfearence in other civilizations internal afairs, warp capable or not. http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Prime_directive

Sisko did indeed violate it when he got the Romulans involved.
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

Lyassa and Nairoa
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 29, 2006
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Lyassa and Nairoa » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:25 am

Picard

A REAL actor plays that part. Awesome brit accent too.

Norrain
Secretary

Founded: Mar 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Norrain » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:27 am

Admiral Ackbar every time
Political compass

Economic Left/Right: -9.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.15

GeneralHaNor
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby GeneralHaNor » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:32 am

Jagalonia wrote:
Rambhutan wrote:Nobody in their right mind would ever have put Kirk in charge of anything

Are you kidding? His crazy schemes always work!

The man beat the Kobeashi Maru Simulation...by cheating
Victorious Decepticons wrote:If they said "this is what you enjoy so do this" and handed me a stack of my favorite video games, then it'd be far different. But governments don't work that way. They'd hand me a dishrag...
Trotskylvania wrote:Don't kid yourself. The state is a violent, destructive institution of class dictatorship. The fact that the proles have bargained themselves the drippings from their master's plates doesn't legitimize the state.

Merssan
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Merssan » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:32 am

Norrain wrote:Admiral Ackbar every time

I lol'ed. But let's not get into a Picard verus Ackbar argument.

It's a trap.

Maltropia
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 19, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:41 am

Sith Korriban wrote:Kirk: *talks more jerkily*
Is that possible?
Merssan wrote:
Norrain wrote:Admiral Ackbar every time

It's a trap.
Epic. :lol:

In fact, I'm sigging that. ;)
Ɛ> Maltropia + Tiami 4ever <3
[17:46] <bc> MY ENTHUSIASM EFFECTS MY SPELLING || [19:25] <minn> srsly is maltropia the only one with a brain here :|
Call me Mal(t). Reduce risk of carpal tunnel syndrome!
GE&T:Maritime Imperial Shipwrights | T-O Cartographic
II:Amistad, EATC signatory | PRV founder | CFDS, FIR, ECU member
F&NI:IIwiki | Factbook | Embassy program
WA:Represented by Ambassador Seán Lemass

I used to be a Roleplay Mentor and still love to help people. Find me on Discord and I'll help if I can.

GeneralHaNor
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby GeneralHaNor » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:46 am

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Rusikstan wrote:Starfleet officer =/= military officer? I think that's only like half the time.

Starfleet is not a military organization anymore than NASA is.

Not really, Starfleet has a mission to act as military organization when necessary
The Dominion War wasn't fought by some other Federation Agency, it was Starfleet that did the heaving lifting.

GeneralHaNor
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby GeneralHaNor » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:50 am

NERVUN wrote:
If I want to win a war, Sisko.

this is probably true, Sisko was a strategist, capable of making the "Hard Decisions" he had a big picture mentality, and thought long term.
That is until he went insane....blame the prophets.

GeneralHaNor
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby GeneralHaNor » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:52 am

Rusikstan wrote:
Why does everyone hate on Archer?

I like to pretend "Enterprise" does not exist in cannon, and consequently Archer
He was a fairly good captain actually, however the show is just awful

It actually had a "Dallas" ending..........damm you riker.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:55 am

If they were gonna fight, I'd have to put my money on Shatner...I'd imagine Picard is a better strategist though.

GeneralHaNor
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby GeneralHaNor » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:56 am

Maurepas wrote:If they were gonna fight, I'd have to put my money on Shatner...I'd imagine Picard is a better strategist though.

Kirk fights dirty

Sith Korriban
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sith Korriban » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:58 am

GeneralHaNor wrote:
Maurepas wrote:If they were gonna fight, I'd have to put my money on Shatner...I'd imagine Picard is a better strategist though.

Kirk fights dirty

Picard can just get Troi or Beverly to flash their boobs at Kirk and he'd be too distracted to win.
~Dark Lady of the Sith
"Sometimes you have to walk in darkness to bring the truth to light"
"So be angry about that! Hate! Rage! Despair! Allow yourself, just once, to stop playing the game of Jedi Knight, and admit what you have always known: you are alone, and you are great, and when the world strikes you it is better to strike back than turn your cheek." ―Dooku, to Yoda

Merssan
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Merssan » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:58 am

Maltropia wrote:
Sith Korriban wrote:Kirk: *talks more jerkily*
Is that possible?
Merssan wrote:

It's a trap.
Epic. :lol:

In fact, I'm sigging that. ;)

Gasped, I got sigged!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction