NATION

PASSWORD

A place to discuss theatre (Tips, Tricks, Expirances, and mo

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.
User avatar
No Freedom And War Land
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 11
Founded: Sep 17, 2024
Psychotic Dictatorship

A place to discuss theatre (Tips, Tricks, Expirances, and mo

Postby No Freedom And War Land » Tue Sep 08, 2026 7:54 am

I personally absolutely love theatre and it is a big part of my life so, I want to hear what shows you are currently working on or have worked on in the past.

You can also ask for some tips and tricks to use for auditions, memorization, design, etc.

Can't wait to see all your responses! I love hearing all about what people have done, and how their set looks.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar
 
Posts: 48124
Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Tue Sep 08, 2026 1:25 pm

The last live theater thing I worked on was putting my own play up at a Fringe Festival (not Edinburgh).

It was a fun experience but what I realized most is I should not be in charge. I had help and I just didn't utilize them enough. It was a failure on my part but the play was fun. It's the second time that it's been put up, the first was during my unofficial playwrighting residency in college where a play of mine would go up every six months which is magical and very, very lucky (because not all of them were good).

Outside of writing plays my interaction with live theater is usually in the booth either doing audio or if there's mix media the video controller. I actually synced video cues in a production of Merrily We Roll Along by knowing how to read music. I got a copy of the score with the cue marked in and just read along like I was the guy playing the triangle and only had five notes in the song. That show was fun, had a bit of a crush (insomuch as I found her aesthetically pleasing, I knew nothing about her as the story will reveal) with one of the Fossy style dancers but the one time...the ONE time she came to talk to the booth monkeys I had forgotten my deodorant and sat like ten feet away. I don't know what she thought about that or if she did at all. I saw her on my way out of a party later when I was chemically altered so I said "Hi!" to her like we actually had hung out but kept walking and she seemed surprised. Of course later I realized that she also stopped to talk but I had kept going.

I'm a smooth one. I don't think it would have worked out but weirder showmances have happened. Not to me, the writer only gets a showmance if he writes one into his work a la Cabaret (speaking of Fossy style dancers...).

I did the media board on Tamer Tamed for a Shakespeare festival too, but that had like less than ten media cues in the entire work so I just watched a non-Shakespeare Shakespeare sequel in a grove a bunch of times.

I'm working on a new play that's in the Tony n Tina's Wedding vein where the audience is the actual audience for what's happening in the play if that makes sense. It makes way more sense if you know Tony n Tina's Wedding. Though it's less improvisational and interactive. At the moment. It might get more interactive as I get into it. If...IF I finish it and I can raise the money I'll try and do it at the same Fringe festival but I'll need to find someone who would like to be in charge so that all the things actually get done. Preferably someone who doesn't feel gross self promoting.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

User avatar
The Boggest Place on Earth
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1293
Founded: Jan 25, 2024
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Boggest Place on Earth » Fri Sep 11, 2026 6:49 am

i've been a part of 2.5 school plays, auditioning for a 3rd.5, and interested in continuing afterward

the first was about 6 years ago, we had all gotten ready and comfortable to perform
and then the global lockdown took into place the day of the play, so never ending up doing it

last year, i dipped my toes back into theater (mainly because i was pressured by everyone involved because i was the only guy on campus who could do a german accent ig). it was fun, it was a more serious play, so obviously less in my wheelhouse, but i feel i did a decent job.

few months ago is a different question, play was a pretty obvious parody of one of the biggest pieces of media today, and one of the three roles i got to play was the main antagonist. loved that shit, also got the biggest turn-out for the school, so that's realistically the way we're doing it going forward.
green things and salivations, all!
all these other nations told me that i wouln't be a kool kat until i got myself my very own signature, so i did!
-> question y answer ! ! <-
-> other question y answer ! ! <-
✯ this user is ✯
a mole persons

according to this dispatch

User avatar
Zantalio
Senator
 
Posts: 3769
Founded: Dec 08, 2023
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Zantalio » Fri Sep 11, 2026 11:41 pm

I've been in theater once before. It was fun!
Quo vadis, America?
To unironically enjoy using NSG, you must be a masochist, for you have to gain pleasure from pain, suffering, and humiliation.
This is Iochi Mari with a cigarette (and a broken halo). Oddly fitting for N-Day, it seems. Listening to Плейлист для тех, кто хочет расслабиться! (A playlist for those who wish to relax!)
Marenmia-Ocasia wrote:“You disagree with me on one issue, clearly you don’t deserve human dignity and should be treated as a devil!”
Da Yin in UMNS wrote:You deserve a rollcake stuffed into your mouth as punishment XD
UNITYUNITYUNITY wrote:You may have found the one normative social form I am not even somewhat in favor of abolishing. There will still be no place for B.O. in the communist future.

User avatar
DutchFormosa
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6364
Founded: Feb 11, 2023
Left-wing Utopia

Postby DutchFormosa » Sat Sep 12, 2026 11:46 am

I participated in a lot of my school's musicals, either in the choir or actually acting in them. I also acted in a play at a Summer camp I went to one year. But in the last few years before I graduated, I lost interest in acting. At least I enjoyed doing it for the most part
Last edited by DutchFormosa on Sat Sep 12, 2026 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
IC wiki
OOC info
============

User avatar
No Freedom And War Land
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 11
Founded: Sep 17, 2024
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby No Freedom And War Land » Wed Sep 16, 2026 7:39 am

Cannot think of a name wrote:The last live theater thing I worked on was putting my own play up at a Fringe Festival (not Edinburgh).

It was a fun experience but what I realized most is I should not be in charge. I had help and I just didn't utilize them enough. It was a failure on my part but the play was fun. It's the second time that it's been put up, the first was during my unofficial playwrighting residency in college where a play of mine would go up every six months which is magical and very, very lucky (because not all of them were good).

Outside of writing plays my interaction with live theater is usually in the booth either doing audio or if there's mix media the video controller. I actually synced video cues in a production of Merrily We Roll Along by knowing how to read music. I got a copy of the score with the cue marked in and just read along like I was the guy playing the triangle and only had five notes in the song. That show was fun, had a bit of a crush (insomuch as I found her aesthetically pleasing, I knew nothing about her as the story will reveal) with one of the Fossy style dancers but the one time...the ONE time she came to talk to the booth monkeys I had forgotten my deodorant and sat like ten feet away. I don't know what she thought about that or if she did at all. I saw her on my way out of a party later when I was chemically altered so I said "Hi!" to her like we actually had hung out but kept walking and she seemed surprised. Of course later I realized that she also stopped to talk but I had kept going.

I'm a smooth one. I don't think it would have worked out but weirder showmances have happened. Not to me, the writer only gets a showmance if he writes one into his work a la Cabaret (speaking of Fossy style dancers...).

I did the media board on Tamer Tamed for a Shakespeare festival too, but that had like less than ten media cues in the entire work so I just watched a non-Shakespeare Shakespeare sequel in a grove a bunch of times.

I'm working on a new play that's in the Tony n Tina's Wedding vein where the audience is the actual audience for what's happening in the play if that makes sense. It makes way more sense if you know Tony n Tina's Wedding. Though it's less improvisational and interactive. At the moment. It might get more interactive as I get into it. If...IF I finish it and I can raise the money I'll try and do it at the same Fringe festival but I'll need to find someone who would like to be in charge so that all the things actually get done. Preferably someone who doesn't feel gross self promoting.

Nice, sounds fun! I'm working on a play myself that is all about this family who have been through some hard struggles. The characters are based off of me and my friends, and includes parts of multiple other plays and musicals that me and my friends were part of. Its called The Herdman Family, you can read what I have written so far on Royal Road and Quotev.

User avatar
Chess Socialism
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6419
Founded: Nov 07, 2025
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Chess Socialism » Wed Sep 16, 2026 8:09 am

I remember my theater class at my old middle school, I actually really liked it.
★ Hi, my name's Irene! ★
she/her | Michigander | AuDHD | Disabled
Free Palestine | Free Ukraine | Trans Rights
FAQ | TGs open | CompSci (Python Patriot)

Hey, send me your U.S. midterm predictions in telegrams! I'm making an average NationStates midterms prediction before election day. Serious predictions only!!!

User avatar
Chan Island
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8384
Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Autocracy

Postby Chan Island » Mon Sep 21, 2026 6:59 am

I like going, and do so multiple times a year.

Big fan of doing improv, really should try to go to such events more.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

User avatar
The Boggest Place on Earth
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1293
Founded: Jan 25, 2024
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Boggest Place on Earth » Tue Sep 22, 2026 11:03 am

Chan Island wrote:I like going, and do so multiple times a year.

Big fan of doing improv, really should try to go to such events more.


improv is one of those things that i really like the idea of, but i've never really got to do it
green things and salivations, all!
all these other nations told me that i wouln't be a kool kat until i got myself my very own signature, so i did!
-> question y answer ! ! <-
-> other question y answer ! ! <-
✯ this user is ✯
a mole persons

according to this dispatch

User avatar
No Freedom And War Land
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 11
Founded: Sep 17, 2024
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby No Freedom And War Land » Tue Sep 29, 2026 8:36 am

Chan Island wrote:I like going, and do so multiple times a year.

Big fan of doing improv, really should try to go to such events more.

Nice! I'm part of an improv group called Vike Drop, its my third year in the group.


Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cannot think of a name

Advertisement

Remove ads