NATION

PASSWORD

Creative Writing Discussion Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

What do you write?

Poetry
3
9%
Novels
10
29%
Screenwriting
0
No votes
Non Fiction
3
9%
Essays
7
20%
Short Stories
10
29%
Other
2
6%
 
Total votes : 35

User avatar
Galmat
Minister
 
Posts: 2081
Founded: Sep 21, 2023
Ex-Nation

Creative Writing Discussion Thread

Postby Galmat » Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:38 am

Creative writing discussion

Hey fellow writers and readers,

As November approaches, I can't help but feel the excitement building up for National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo). I was actually inspired to make this post in preparation for NaNoWriMo, (a yearly event that challenges writers to write a 50,000-word novel). NaNoWriMo is a great way to practice your creative writing skills, meet other writers, and have fun. in preparation for this fantastic event, and as a way to foster a sense of community among our fellow wordsmiths, I thought it would be great to start a general discussion thread about all things creative writing. Whether you're a seasoned novelist, an aspiring poet, a short story enthusiast, or just someone curious about delving into the world of creative writing, this is the place to be.

What is Creative Writing?

Creative writing encompasses a wide range of forms and genres, including but not limited to:

-Novels and Novellas
-Short Stories
-Poetry
-Essays
-Scripts (for theater, film, or television)
-Creative Nonfiction
-Fan Fiction
-Flash Fiction
-Haikus
-Experimental Writing
-General Worldbuilding projects

In creative writing, we have the freedom to explore our imaginations, craft stories, and play with words to express our thoughts, emotions, and narratives in unique and compelling ways. It's a journey where we can breathe life into characters and build entire worlds, because hey, why not?

Tips to Become a Better Writer

Here are some tips that can help writers at any stage of their journey to improve their craft:

Read, Read, Read: Reading widely exposes you to different styles, genres, and techniques. It's one of the best ways to learn about storytelling and develop your voice as a writer.
Write Regularly: Make writing a habit. Set aside dedicated time each day or week to work on your creative projects.
Experiment: Don't be afraid to step outside your comfort zone. Try different genres, styles, and formats. Experimentation can lead to unexpected breakthroughs.
Edit and Revise: First drafts are rarely perfect. Embrace the revision process; it's where your work truly takes shape.
Seek Feedback: Join writing groups, workshops, or online communities to get constructive feedback. Critique is invaluable for growth.
Embrace Writer's Block: It happens to all of us. Instead of being frustrated, consider it a natural part of the creative process. Take a break, find inspiration, and return when the muse strikes.
Set Goals: Whether it's word counts, finishing a specific project, or submitting work for publication, setting achievable goals can keep you motivated.
Stay Consistent: Consistency is key to honing your skills. Even when you're not in the mood to write, the act of showing up can lead to some of your best work.
Find Your Writing Space: Create a comfortable and inspiring place to write. A dedicated space can help you focus and get into the writing groove.
Believe in Yourself: Self-doubt is the enemy of creativity. Trust in your abilities and keep writing, even when it's challenging.

Reedsy gives a huge list of helpful writing websites, which I will post here: https://blog.reedsy.com/best-writing-websites/

Feel free to share and discuss creative works, provide inspiration, edit, or give advice.

Happy Writing!
Last edited by Galmat on Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
No labels to True Liberation!
"There are worse things in life than kissing boys." — Benjamin Alire Sáenz
”The most violent element in society is ignorance." (Emma Goldman)
I'm your friendly neighborhood Occultist!

User avatar
Galmat
Minister
 
Posts: 2081
Founded: Sep 21, 2023
Ex-Nation

Postby Galmat » Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:20 am

I have personally been working on a rough draft for a novel I want to write for NaNoWriMo, its sort of High Fantasy with an adventurous Indianna Jones feel. I've taken inspiration from my worldbuilding project I have been working on (the Galmat empire and the Ner'il) as well. Is anyone prepping this early for NaNoWriMo or working on any other creative projects?
No labels to True Liberation!
"There are worse things in life than kissing boys." — Benjamin Alire Sáenz
”The most violent element in society is ignorance." (Emma Goldman)
I'm your friendly neighborhood Occultist!

User avatar
Tangatarehua
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1396
Founded: Sep 22, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Tangatarehua » Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:25 am

Yay, a thread about this topic!

I don't think I'll be doing NaNoWriMo, partially because November is just a terrible month for me to write but mainly because I've already done a 100,000 page first draft this year, as well an 80,000 word second draft and am trying to edit another 90,000 word first draft into a second draft.

Basically, I'm at the phase of having all these ostensibly complete novels which are utterly, utterly terrible and need serious surgery before I can inflict them on the public.
The Empire of Tangatarehua/Te Rangatiratanga o Tangatarehua
Factbook | Constitution | History | Embassies | You know you're from Tangatarehua when... | Q&A | Tangatarehua: All Endings | Faces of Tangatarehua

3 August 2024
News: Rehuan man breaks world belching record | Winter storm blankets Wharekorana under heavy snow | Rival factions of Tangatarehua Socialist Party confirm they will contest upcoming election as two separate parties | Weather: Tamaki  ☀ 17°C | Whakaara ☁ 9°C | Wharekorana ❆ -7°C | Kaiika ☀ 25°C | Kotiropai ☁ 14°C | Rakipa ☀ 19°C |  Kaitohura ❆ -4°C

User avatar
Floofybit
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 21506
Founded: Sep 11, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Floofybit » Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:30 am

I've wanted to write a dystopian novel for so long. I just haven't gotten to it because I can't write hooks or intros for the life of me.

User avatar
La Xinga
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6994
Founded: Jul 12, 2019
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby La Xinga » Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:33 am

Opinion on starting sentences with the words "and", "or", and "but" in creative writing?
Kerplop!
funi RMB

User avatar
Galmat
Minister
 
Posts: 2081
Founded: Sep 21, 2023
Ex-Nation

Postby Galmat » Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:39 am

Tangatarehua wrote:Yay, a thread about this topic!

I don't think I'll be doing NaNoWriMo, partially because November is just a terrible month for me to write but mainly because I've already done a 100,000 page first draft this year, as well an 80,000 word second draft and am trying to edit another 90,000 word first draft into a second draft.

Basically, I'm at the phase of having all these ostensibly complete novels which are utterly, utterly terrible and need serious surgery before I can inflict them on the public.


I keep hearing the same thing, that editing is the most grueling process, and I couldn't agree more. There is nothing like writing thousands of words, just to in return have hundreds of those words crossed out and called unfit for a book. I had never taken the endeavor to write a novel until recently, as I shot down most of my ideas before I could write them(either I felt too generic or too hard to execute). It wasn't until I shared my ideas with others that I was able to make progress. I feel like trying to self-edit, you are always going to judge yourself far too harshly. I much prefer a test reader.

If I may ask what is your rough draft about, genre, plot, etc? I wouldn't mind reading it if you don't mind.
Last edited by Galmat on Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
No labels to True Liberation!
"There are worse things in life than kissing boys." — Benjamin Alire Sáenz
”The most violent element in society is ignorance." (Emma Goldman)
I'm your friendly neighborhood Occultist!

User avatar
British Arzelentaxmacone
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12084
Founded: May 12, 2023
Ex-Nation

Postby British Arzelentaxmacone » Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:43 am

I love building up tension when I write, particularly when writing dystopian or gothic stories. Lots of descriptions of sound, tone and atmosphere, but I often find myself distracted from writing the main point. Generally, I write a few paragraphs of just buildup of tension, and find myself forgetting to write about the main point lol.

Any suggestions on how to write tension, but still make it concise and stick to the main point? I don’t want to lose the buildup element, but equally, the main point is just as important.

An example of this is when I wrote a couple of paragraphs of a supernatural gothic story a few weeks ago, and forgot to include any creature because I got so distracted by writing the buildup.
Too authoritarian? Yeah I get that a lot.
Proud Co-founder of the GSC, member to the ISD and IED, observer to the CSL and Illion League, 1st signatory to the Shieldstan declaration of banning slavery and author of the Proclamation on the Rights of the Individual.

User avatar
Galmat
Minister
 
Posts: 2081
Founded: Sep 21, 2023
Ex-Nation

Postby Galmat » Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:46 am

Floofybit wrote:I've wanted to write a dystopian novel for so long. I just haven't gotten to it because I can't write hooks or intros for the life of me.

One tip I heard is to start from the end. Where is your protagonist at the end, are they happy and loved, brainwashed and corrupt? Take that and write the opposite and you have a beginning. This ensures proper character development. All you have to figure out is how the protagonist gets to the end.

Also in your case, I would say a good way to start a dystopian novel is to take a normal concept or idea from IRL and twist it. 1984 starts with "It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen." Here Orwell starts with an odd twist on our real world, one which intrigues us and leaves us wanting to hear more. When it comes to a hook, remember you are trying to grab the reader, making them want to come along in this story. In a dystopian novel especially, worldbuilding is important, so introducing worldbuilding or a certain element of the story in a shocking or interesting way is a good way to start in my opinion.
No labels to True Liberation!
"There are worse things in life than kissing boys." — Benjamin Alire Sáenz
”The most violent element in society is ignorance." (Emma Goldman)
I'm your friendly neighborhood Occultist!

User avatar
Galmat
Minister
 
Posts: 2081
Founded: Sep 21, 2023
Ex-Nation

Postby Galmat » Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:51 am

La Xinga wrote:Opinion on starting sentences with the words "and", "or", and "but" in creative writing?

The point of language is to communicate ideas and thoughts in an effective and understandable way. Grammar is how we organize our thoughts in order to better communicate with our words. Bad spelling, long run-on sentences, or bad grammar can ruin this line of communication. In writing, communication is essential. I would say depending on the context, but so long as you effectively communicate the story to the reader in an interesting and fun way, I would say it isn't too much of a big deal, but that's just me.
No labels to True Liberation!
"There are worse things in life than kissing boys." — Benjamin Alire Sáenz
”The most violent element in society is ignorance." (Emma Goldman)
I'm your friendly neighborhood Occultist!

User avatar
Galmat
Minister
 
Posts: 2081
Founded: Sep 21, 2023
Ex-Nation

Postby Galmat » Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:49 pm

British Arzelentaxmacone wrote:I love building up tension when I write, particularly when writing dystopian or gothic stories. Lots of descriptions of sound, tone and atmosphere, but I often find myself distracted from writing the main point. Generally, I write a few paragraphs of just buildup of tension, and find myself forgetting to write about the main point lol.

Any suggestions on how to write tension, but still make it concise and stick to the main point? I don’t want to lose the buildup element, but equally, the main point is just as important.

An example of this is when I wrote a couple of paragraphs of a supernatural gothic story a few weeks ago, and forgot to include any creature because I got so distracted by writing the buildup.


Here are some suggestions that might help you:

-Before you start writing, make a brief outline of the main plot points and the creature you want to introduce. This will help you stay focused and avoid getting sidetracked by the details.
-Use sensory details to create tension, but don’t overdo it.
-Choose the most relevant and impactful ones that suit the mood and tone of your story. For example, you can describe the sound of footsteps, the smell of blood, or the feeling of cold air on your skin.
-Introduce the creature gradually and subtly. Don’t reveal it all at once, but hint at its presence and build up the suspense. For example, you can mention its shadow, its eyes, or its voice before showing its full appearance.
-Use contrast to create tension. For example, you can contrast the normalcy of the setting with the horror of the creature, or the calmness of the protagonist with the panic of the others.
-Use dialogue to create tension. For example, you can have characters argue, lie, or reveal secrets that affect the plot or the creature.
No labels to True Liberation!
"There are worse things in life than kissing boys." — Benjamin Alire Sáenz
”The most violent element in society is ignorance." (Emma Goldman)
I'm your friendly neighborhood Occultist!

User avatar
La Xinga
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6994
Founded: Jul 12, 2019
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby La Xinga » Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:53 pm

Galmat wrote:
La Xinga wrote:Opinion on starting sentences with the words "and", "or", and "but" in creative writing?

The point of language is to communicate ideas and thoughts in an effective and understandable way. Grammar is how we organize our thoughts in order to better communicate with our words. Bad spelling, long run-on sentences, or bad grammar can ruin this line of communication. In writing, communication is essential. I would say depending on the context, but so long as you effectively communicate the story to the reader in an interesting and fun way, I would say it isn't too much of a big deal, but that's just me.

Yeah. I was always taught not to do that, but I see even the most "official professional people!" do that.
Kerplop!
funi RMB

User avatar
The Grand Fifth Imperium
Diplomat
 
Posts: 807
Founded: Apr 11, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grand Fifth Imperium » Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:07 pm

La Xinga wrote:Opinion on starting sentences with the words "and", "or", and "but" in creative writing?

And that's an interesting question on an interesting topic. But the problem is, however, that some people can get carried away with using conjunctions at the start of sentences. Or, if your readers don't mind, you could do it all the time.
•I'm here primarily for the issues, although I like posting in General because Waffles truly are better than Pancakes.
•For the umpteenth time, I have zero affiliation with the Fifth Empire. My political beliefs are not edginess.
•On September 27, 2023 the United States declared independence from China.
•"Anyone who tells a lie has not a pure heart, and cannot make a good soup."— L. van Beethoven
•"A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a foolish man speaks because he has to say something."—Plato
•Eight you're great; nine your mine.

User avatar
La Xinga
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6994
Founded: Jul 12, 2019
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby La Xinga » Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:17 pm

The Grand Fifth Imperium wrote:
La Xinga wrote:Opinion on starting sentences with the words "and", "or", and "but" in creative writing?

And that's an interesting question on an interesting topic. But the problem is, however, that some people can get carried away with using conjunctions at the start of sentences. Or, if your readers don't mind, you could do it all the time.

And I understand that. Or, if you will, I am starting to grasp the great complexities of the Aenglish. But, in any case, the "official professional people!" I was referring to do not use it too frequently, only seldomly.
Kerplop!
funi RMB

User avatar
Tangatarehua
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1396
Founded: Sep 22, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Tangatarehua » Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:40 am

Galmat wrote:
Tangatarehua wrote:Yay, a thread about this topic!

I don't think I'll be doing NaNoWriMo, partially because November is just a terrible month for me to write but mainly because I've already done a 100,000 page first draft this year, as well an 80,000 word second draft and am trying to edit another 90,000 word first draft into a second draft.

Basically, I'm at the phase of having all these ostensibly complete novels which are utterly, utterly terrible and need serious surgery before I can inflict them on the public.


I keep hearing the same thing, that editing is the most grueling process, and I couldn't agree more. There is nothing like writing thousands of words, just to in return have hundreds of those words crossed out and called unfit for a book. I had never taken the endeavor to write a novel until recently, as I shot down most of my ideas before I could write them(either I felt too generic or too hard to execute). It wasn't until I shared my ideas with others that I was able to make progress. I feel like trying to self-edit, you are always going to judge yourself far too harshly. I much prefer a test reader.

If I may ask what is your rough draft about, genre, plot, etc? I wouldn't mind reading it if you don't mind.


You do need a test reader (multiple if you can) as part of the editing process.

For me the process goes First Draft > Second Draft > Send to test readers > Third draft > ????? > Profit.

The reason for that is that one of the ways I can get to the end of a first draft without being struck down by crippling self doubt is promising myself that no one will ever read the first draft. So the second draft is the only one I'm willing to show anyone, and then a third would be based on feedback from others.

I've written four novels in the last two years, but two of them are just incoherent, I don't think there's any way I could save them and more to the point, I'm just not interested in them. They're fundamentally flawed. The other two have more potential but I'm still working getting them to a reasonable second draft.

First book was a vaguely cyberpunk book that slowly turns into an existential horror.

Second book was an extremely badly thought out urban fantasy (originally for YA but totally not age appropriate now) that turns into an existential horror.

Third is a satirical sci fi that turns into an existential horror.

Fourth is a straight political satire that... well, it's about nuclear war so it's arguably an existential horror too.

But yes there is a common theme - I pick any random genre and then slowly turn it into an existential horror.
The Empire of Tangatarehua/Te Rangatiratanga o Tangatarehua
Factbook | Constitution | History | Embassies | You know you're from Tangatarehua when... | Q&A | Tangatarehua: All Endings | Faces of Tangatarehua

3 August 2024
News: Rehuan man breaks world belching record | Winter storm blankets Wharekorana under heavy snow | Rival factions of Tangatarehua Socialist Party confirm they will contest upcoming election as two separate parties | Weather: Tamaki  ☀ 17°C | Whakaara ☁ 9°C | Wharekorana ❆ -7°C | Kaiika ☀ 25°C | Kotiropai ☁ 14°C | Rakipa ☀ 19°C |  Kaitohura ❆ -4°C

User avatar
British Arzelentaxmacone
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12084
Founded: May 12, 2023
Ex-Nation

Postby British Arzelentaxmacone » Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:46 am

I actually used to really want to write a screenplay for some reason, but eventually found that I preferred writing slow buildup work instead, with less quick-fire dialogue. How does everyone feel about writing screenplay?
Too authoritarian? Yeah I get that a lot.
Proud Co-founder of the GSC, member to the ISD and IED, observer to the CSL and Illion League, 1st signatory to the Shieldstan declaration of banning slavery and author of the Proclamation on the Rights of the Individual.

User avatar
Unogonduria
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10853
Founded: Jan 07, 2023
Democratic Socialists

Postby Unogonduria » Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:49 am

I was going to write a SCI-FI book about aliens but I had made them in Paint (MS), so it looked goofy. This was around November 2021, and a similar idea came into my mind this summer. It would now be (with BRAND new creatures and lore (yes, I even had planned most of the lore :twisted: )) under the icy surface of a far-awawy moon, named Pazuzu (I think this was the name of a wind god, because strong winds were to be on the surface).
Nature is beautiful. Praise the LORD!
And they were calling to one another: "Holy, Holy, Holy is the LORD Almighty; the whole earth is full of his glory.” - Isaiah 6:3
NEVER FORGET!!!!
Embrace Tvrkic lingvistics + Indoevropean genetics
Be polite and humble. Please.
SapplyValues Political Compass Result - by far the most accurate political compass test on the internet, double checked with the results of the Bulgarian Political Compass!
Your local Soft Russophile
Even the return of the Ottoman Empire is prefferable to the return of the atheistic communist regimes throughout Europe.
Live life. Be masculine.
Christ is King! ☦☦☦

User avatar
Gaybeans
Diplomat
 
Posts: 684
Founded: Dec 17, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Gaybeans » Sat Sep 30, 2023 3:42 pm

I keep putting off writing the novel series I have in my head, lol.

I did manage to get a short story published as part of an anthology series during COVID which a YouTube reviewer decided was depressing but interesting which I will take any day of the week, frankly.

I am currently writing a short story for a competition over on a D&D server. Unsure if anyone is familiar with the Eberron setting but I am writing the Machine Manifesto from the Lord of Blades, the Warforged tyrant.
—(••÷[ [death first to scavengers and vultures] ]÷••—
she/her - the geese are doxxing me - i'm not a cube. turn it off.
soɹnoqoɹno ʇᴉɥs ɐ ǝʞᴉl ɟlǝs sʇᴉ sʇɐǝ sʎɐʍlɐ ɯsᴉɔsɐɟ

User avatar
Galactic Powers
Diplomat
 
Posts: 553
Founded: Mar 29, 2020
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Galactic Powers » Sat Sep 30, 2023 3:45 pm

A writing thread! Love this idea!

Certainly no time for NaNoWriMo this year, but I have done it in years past (their junior comp some time ago) and can highly recommend. It is fun and good for building disciple.
Some OOC things. Dominioan’s new nation - Est. Dec 9, 2019
Boomer Sooner, Chop On.
^ Here's what those mean ^
Founder and King of the former Bluecrown Keep
Canons: Dominioan (IOC RP) - Dominioan (Personal) - 1AP Dominioan

User avatar
Galmat
Minister
 
Posts: 2081
Founded: Sep 21, 2023
Ex-Nation

Postby Galmat » Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:02 pm

Tangatarehua wrote:
Galmat wrote:
I keep hearing the same thing, that editing is the most grueling process, and I couldn't agree more. There is nothing like writing thousands of words, just to in return have hundreds of those words crossed out and called unfit for a book. I had never taken the endeavor to write a novel until recently, as I shot down most of my ideas before I could write them(either I felt too generic or too hard to execute). It wasn't until I shared my ideas with others that I was able to make progress. I feel like trying to self-edit, you are always going to judge yourself far too harshly. I much prefer a test reader.

If I may ask what is your rough draft about, genre, plot, etc? I wouldn't mind reading it if you don't mind.


You do need a test reader (multiple if you can) as part of the editing process.

For me the process goes First Draft > Second Draft > Send to test readers > Third draft > ????? > Profit.

The reason for that is that one of the ways I can get to the end of a first draft without being struck down by crippling self doubt is promising myself that no one will ever read the first draft. So the second draft is the only one I'm willing to show anyone, and then a third would be based on feedback from others.

I've written four novels in the last two years, but two of them are just incoherent, I don't think there's any way I could save them and more to the point, I'm just not interested in them. They're fundamentally flawed. The other two have more potential but I'm still working getting them to a reasonable second draft.

First book was a vaguely cyberpunk book that slowly turns into an existential horror.

Second book was an extremely badly thought out urban fantasy (originally for YA but totally not age appropriate now) that turns into an existential horror.

Third is a satirical sci fi that turns into an existential horror.

Fourth is a straight political satire that... well, it's about nuclear war so it's arguably an existential horror too.

But yes there is a common theme - I pick any random genre and then slowly turn it into an existential horror.

I definitely think an existential Lovecraftian twist on the state of modern politics would be an interesting idea. That reminds me of one idea I had for a dystopian novel inspired by Posadism and the Dark Enlightenment, but never really committed to it.


British Arzelentaxmacone wrote:I actually used to really want to write a screenplay for some reason, but eventually found that I preferred writing slow buildup work instead, with less quick-fire dialogue. How does everyone feel about writing screenplay?


I found it limiting, its more on visualizing the story rather than describing it through ideas and imagination. I see it almost like a scale, with scripts and literal descriptions of events on one end, free verse poetry on the other end, and in the middle narrative writing. It's a measure of structure.
Gaybeans wrote:I keep putting off writing the novel series I have in my head, lol.

I did manage to get a short story published as part of an anthology series during COVID which a YouTube reviewer decided was depressing but interesting which I will take any day of the week, frankly.

I am currently writing a short story for a competition over on a D&D server. Unsure if anyone is familiar with the Eberron setting but I am writing the Machine Manifesto from the Lord of Blades, the Warforged tyrant.


Never played in an Ebberon setting but I am familiar with it as a D&D player.
It's neat that you got a short story published, is there anywhere that I could read it (and watch the review as well)?

Galactic Powers wrote:A writing thread! Love this idea!

Certainly no time for NaNoWriMo this year, but I have done it in years past (their junior comp some time ago) and can highly recommend. It is fun and good for building disciple.


Yeah, I feel like sometimes the hardest thing to do is start. And having a challenge like NaNoWriMo is awesome in just motivation. Even if my first draft is terrible, oh well, it's easier to edit than nothing.

I was wondering, I like to think I'm somewhat of a decent writer. Of course, I don't think I'm the best, but I like to think I'm not incoherent or unreadable. I was wondering, what should I do for myself to determine if my writing is of good quality. I have some sentences from some writing exercises I did as well as a poem from wattpad I wrote, so I'll share them here, but besides test readers what should I do to self-analyze?

First one:
"Two beady eyes stared back at me from the dark void which consumed my chambers. The sun had set, hours ago, leaving behind a shadow of death that I found myself in the midst of. The eyes were pale, bloodshot, rivers of crimson blood, crossing all corners of those morbid spheres. I was in horror, sweat pouring from my brow, as I retreated to the safety of my loft" (writing exercise based on the starting line " Two beady eyes stared back at me " in two minutes)


Second one:
Whose father of kin can bear witness, to the death of his son, lying wake in his arms, as his tears rain upon his fallen child? The soul has become the bird of the sky, and the father dare ask the sky, "Where does my son's heart go toward?" And the sky replies "the great spirit, where all does come from, and all else does go toward. It is the dust of the cliffs which you have been borne from, the Womb of the Father, kept away from darkness by the Light of Sun, which has made you not go hungry. But know, when your dues have been paid, and all which you have sent to do has been accomplished, he who made you will make you return again, from the sky you were created from." And "Amen," the father says...


Third one( Poem)
Beyond your waists, are twists of Fate

together with love, in secret kept kiss,

bracelets on gentle wrists, made of silver and gold,

from your mouth , whisper stories of old,

of never told before,

hearing some makes me want of more,

more of you,

of your heart,

of your soul,

of your mind,

of your spirit,

oh beloved, how I wish you were here with me,

and how I pray I was not alone,

with only my own hand to hold.

How I wish of your passion, your grace, and your mercy.

For I'm pious can you not see?

And you are like God,

holier than thou,

greatest of greats,

is what a legacy like yours shall be named.

I see your face engraved, on the sky above me,

in clouds of blue and white.

How I ponder if you were here,

would I stare at you,

or embrace you tight?

Would I immediately receive you,

or put up a fight?

Will I find you by the darkness part,

which is midnight?

Or in day brilliant excess, known as light?

What is your gnosis, your sacred truth?

Give these to me, for I have bowed down to you,

and given all which I have just to find you.

Miles and Miles I traveled ,

a pilgrimage I flew.

Just for all a person I once knew.

Once before in summer's past

, compete's with autumn's newfound leaves.

And this leads me to believe,

that the Hurricane of flurries is to come soon.

O' where does my thoughts lead me,

except back to where I find you?

Let myself expose all that I am,

and let me know,

that I want you.

Fame and fortune mean nothing to me,

without you by my side.

Let my heart be true,

but to you never dare lie.

Let my mind think of you,

and let me be the apple of your eye.

Let us walk a thousand miles,

and a thousand more,

together,

foot by foot,

hand by hand,

heart in heart. Let us be together,

and be as one.

(titled A Brief Hallucination of Love No:1, with the description of: "In memoriam of the romance which I desired but never possessed; may the memory of the love that had never occurred dare not be forgotten.")
No labels to True Liberation!
"There are worse things in life than kissing boys." — Benjamin Alire Sáenz
”The most violent element in society is ignorance." (Emma Goldman)
I'm your friendly neighborhood Occultist!

User avatar
La Xinga
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6994
Founded: Jul 12, 2019
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby La Xinga » Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:51 am

I write some stuff sometimes.
Kerplop!
funi RMB

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar
 
Posts: 48124
Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:10 am

British Arzelentaxmacone wrote:I actually used to really want to write a screenplay for some reason, but eventually found that I preferred writing slow buildup work instead, with less quick-fire dialogue. How does everyone feel about writing screenplay?

I got a degree in it. No one cares if you have a degree in screenwriting.

Anyway it suits me because dialog is my strong suit, or so I'm told.

I did get to write a short with a relatively well known character actor I've been a fan of since forever and he turned out to be delightful. So that was cool.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

User avatar
Stellar Colonies
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11379
Founded: Mar 27, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Stellar Colonies » Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:14 am

I began writing a short story about a year ago, but it's been gathering dust for most of that time now.

I'll probably get around to finishing it in December or so.

Generally I have a much easier time worldbuilding a setting and creating informational pieces about them than actually writing a story based in it, since I struggle with making characters seem like actual dynamic people.
Last edited by Stellar Colonies on Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
I try to be objective, but I do have actual positions and some biases.
Dedicated egalitarian.

Born Californian (and American, Calexit can go stuff it)
Native to The East Pacific
Stellar Colonies is a loose galactic confederacy.

The Confederacy & the WA.

Add 1200 years for the IC date in Earth's reference frame.

User avatar
British Arzelentaxmacone
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12084
Founded: May 12, 2023
Ex-Nation

Postby British Arzelentaxmacone » Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:25 am

Cannot think of a name wrote:
British Arzelentaxmacone wrote:I actually used to really want to write a screenplay for some reason, but eventually found that I preferred writing slow buildup work instead, with less quick-fire dialogue. How does everyone feel about writing screenplay?

I got a degree in it. No one cares if you have a degree in screenwriting.

Anyway it suits me because dialog is my strong suit, or so I'm told.

I did get to write a short with a relatively well known character actor I've been a fan of since forever and he turned out to be delightful. So that was cool.


That does sound pretty cool. I don’t know why I used to want to write screenplays so much, I just thought it would be nice to have my name on a production.

However, I much prefer writing other genres since I find it less limiting and that I can have more fun with the work. I might try and have a go with writing a screenplay at some point in the future, but for now I’m enjoying the genres I’m working on currently.
Last edited by British Arzelentaxmacone on Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Too authoritarian? Yeah I get that a lot.
Proud Co-founder of the GSC, member to the ISD and IED, observer to the CSL and Illion League, 1st signatory to the Shieldstan declaration of banning slavery and author of the Proclamation on the Rights of the Individual.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar
 
Posts: 48124
Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:25 pm

British Arzelentaxmacone wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:I got a degree in it. No one cares if you have a degree in screenwriting.

Anyway it suits me because dialog is my strong suit, or so I'm told.

I did get to write a short with a relatively well known character actor I've been a fan of since forever and he turned out to be delightful. So that was cool.


That does sound pretty cool. I don’t know why I used to want to write screenplays so much, I just thought it would be nice to have my name on a production.

However, I much prefer writing other genres since I find it less limiting and that I can have more fun with the work. I might try and have a go with writing a screenplay at some point in the future, but for now I’m enjoying the genres I’m working on currently.

It's not genre, it's medium. Genre is like 'science fiction', 'romance', 'political thriller.' Medium is the...uh...medium (painted myself in a corner there) the story is told with-movie, novel, comic book, audio play, shadow puppets...

Honestly if you've studied any other art form or any other writing medium, learning screenwriting will make you laugh out loud. It has basically the opposite of conventions of every other form of writing. Formulaic and 'paint by numbers' structures are encouraged instead of rejected or challenged.

There's a very popular book (that was assigned for my thesis class but I never bought) called Save the Cat that literally lays out what has to happen by what page.

Readers, who are inexperienced underpaid assistants with gatekeeping powers that go straight to their heads sometimes lean on these structures to remove the seeming uncertainty of just subjectively evaluating the script because it's less risky than giving a script a recommend that your boss hates.

It gets worse, because then in screenwriting communities people get really caught up in what should be vague guidelines to help give a story shape but shouldn't be treated as scripture and, well, treat them like scripture and denigrate anyone who varies from the path. It's these a-holes that then end up as readers that become a problem.

One of my greatest moral victories was when I was rubbing up against the 'this happens on page 30' rigidity having come up in jazz and playwrighting where the rule was 'if you can make it work, then it works.' I was bumping heads with the teacher, but then Sandra Oh came to our campus to do a presentation about Asian representation in film and tv (where I was introduced to the concept of 'Asian without explination,' a reaction to the fact that when an Asian character appeared they for some reason felt the need to have it addressed-like they needed to explain why they weren't a white character.) and at the time she was dating Alexander Payne who addressed our class. The teacher and I were talking to him after class and she was overtly trying to get Payne to back her up on what we disagreed with and Payne at every turn rejected it and then unprompted basically made my argument. I went home all "number of Oscars Alexander Payne has...number of Oscar's she has...

The problem is that screenplays are generally speaking a terrible read so they can't stand on their own until someone makes a movie out of them. Plays are a little more readable. But that's not always true.

William S Burroughs wrote two screenplays meant to be read, Place of Dead Roads and And the Hippos Were Boiled in their Tanks with Kerouac. I've read Place of Dead Roads, but the other one not yet. It was discovered after I was powering through the Beat catalog.

But screenwriting has the biggest barrier to entry, has the most ridiculous restrictions on it beyond budget, and requires going through so many other creative people's guidance (the director, the actors...many people put their stamp on a movie. Often if you see a move that was spotty and uneven that's the cause. Everyone was pulling the story in a different direction (looking at you, Last Jedi).

You can get a similar thrill through related mediums. If you can draw and write comics are a golden thing. Otherwise you're in my position where you have a script that has had positive reaction but I can't find a female artist (it's about a teenage girl, someone involved in the process should have been a teenage girl at some point). I was particularly lucky in that I ended up in a playwrighting program that gave me a de facto residency so my plays were put up every 6 months. That's invaluable, to hear people not just read your words but work through them and perform them and to hear and see audience reaction in real time.

Podcasts have brought audio dramas back and that's a remarkably low threshold just getting voice actors and a sound effects board.

I tend to write towards the medium that best suits the story (or the one that paid me to) except novels. I use to say prose but to improve my action lines in scripts I started attending a short form writers group that does writing prompts and exercises and I've kinda warmed to short stories. I've never had the sack to submit them but in the group I get a lot of positive feedback. But then, it's a pretty positive group because it's about encouraging growth instead of critique which is valuable elsewhere.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.


Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Advertisement

Remove ads