NATION

PASSWORD

I'm writing a book

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.
North Amerikan States
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

I'm writing a book

Postby North Amerikan States » Mon May 31, 2010 10:11 pm

I've been writing a book for a few days and I was wondering what Nation States thought of it. Well, here goes the first chapter. Please leave comments on it.
The rebellion from a cruel lord:
CHAPTER 1; Who I am the evils of my cruel lord:
Hello, my friends. I am the leader of a rebellion which was lost. I was stripped of my title
and sent to a land of horrible punishment for what I did, though I only tried to end a the reign of
a monster who couldn't even use his great power to end the suffering of those he called
his "children". He instead spent his days seeing over how he could kill them, even the innocent.
I was able to convince about a third of my brothers of his evil but we were still greatly outnumbered.
I still mourn dragging them down with me in my failure.
The reasons for my rebellion are simple, although my lord knew he didn't need to be cruel
he was. I think he enjoyed it quite a bit. I knew if I had his power I could do better with the lands
he ruled. So I decided to take power from him by force, after his death I would end the suffering.
The way I always wanted to. My evil lord then blamed me for what he did and even sent those
he disliked to the land where I am tormented, I cannot help them but I do not hurt them. Even
though my lord's "children" are told I do. In short, I got a horrible punishment for trying to end the
suffering of the innocent.
Oh, I just realized I've not told you my name. How about I tell you my story first then I'll
tell you who I am. My name is not really very important. Nor is my lord's. Though I'm sure you know me
from somewhere. You'll be very surprised to hear it.
Last edited by North Amerikan States on Mon May 31, 2010 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
New Nicksyllvania wrote:You're fucking nicked boy!

A Ant wrote:Communists wear ridiculous hats.

Ser James wrote:because fuck brown people.

Po0oh
Spokesperson

Founded: May 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Po0oh » Mon May 31, 2010 10:40 pm

Is this the anecdote? Because chapters are usually supposed to be like, twenty pages bro. Unspaced.

Right-Wing-Extremists
Envoy

Founded: May 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Right-Wing-Extremists » Mon May 31, 2010 10:44 pm

ehhh im just not into it, dosnt make sense. and its WAY to short

New Amerik
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 08, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby New Amerik » Mon May 31, 2010 10:44 pm

Yes, yes, story of Satan's fall from his point of view, righto, but it's been already done. Man's been tragically done already, and the book needs to be way longer. This ain't Dan Brown, you know. I've started (barely) trying to get the introduction for a novel done, and the things five pages and still needs to have more put in.
The Basics of New Amerik
Factbook | Portfolio | Resurrection Offered (Storefront) | Embassy
Founder of the ROUS
*NALOW 5 = Open Peace
NALOW 4 =
NALOW 3 = Defensive Actions
NALOW 2 = Open War
NALOW 1 = Total War
NALOW 0 = Blackout

Grandais
Minister

Founded: Jan 06, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Grandais » Mon May 31, 2010 10:46 pm

Needs to be way more unique and descriptive.
DEFCON 5 [4] 3 2 1
Grandais News|Factbook|Embassies

Po0oh
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Po0oh » Mon May 31, 2010 10:46 pm

New Amerik wrote:Yes, yes, story of Satan's fall from his point of view, righto, but it's been already done. Man's been tragically done already, and the book needs to be way longer. This ain't Dan Brown, you know. I've started (barely) trying to get the introduction for a novel done, and the things five pages and still needs to have more put in.
You need like, Oxfords Classical Thesaurus and to use 5 archaic synonyms. Then you need to vary your sentence structure WAAAAAAAY more. Basic things.

New Amerik
Powerbroker

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby New Amerik » Mon May 31, 2010 10:48 pm

Po0oh wrote:
New Amerik wrote:Yes, yes, story of Satan's fall from his point of view, righto, but it's been already done. Man's been tragically done already, and the book needs to be way longer. This ain't Dan Brown, you know. I've started (barely) trying to get the introduction for a novel done, and the things five pages and still needs to have more put in.
You need like, Oxfords Classical Thesaurus and to use 5 archaic synonyms. Then you need to vary your sentence structure WAAAAAAAY more. Basic things.

I need to learn how to actually write a novel, not a series of connected posts strung together. And yes, I recognize and agree with your points.
The Basics of New Amerik
Founder of the ROUS
*NALOW 5 = Open Peace
NALOW 4 =
NALOW 2 = Open War
NALOW 1 = Total War
NALOW 0 = Blackout

Po0oh
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Po0oh » Mon May 31, 2010 10:50 pm

New Amerik wrote:
Po0oh wrote:

I need to learn how to actually write a novel, not a series of connected posts strung together. And yes, I recognize and agree with your points.
Who said a series of posts strung together is any different? It's how your idea's flow, and how you choose to flow them. And right now it's like corrosive metal over jagged rocks.

Khandosia
Diplomat

Founded: May 30, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Khandosia » Mon May 31, 2010 10:50 pm

http://www.amazon.com/Reign-Hell-Novel- ... 0312870493
My FT Factbook|Return of the Lion

"On the contrary; this gentleman is my nemesis, my opposite number, the Holmes to my Moriarty, the blessed image of purity next to be defiled oozing corruption." - Chronosia

The Zoogie People
Envoy

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby The Zoogie People » Mon May 31, 2010 10:54 pm

How 'bout we stop raining on his parade and see some more out of it. At least it's better than some of the stuff that passes for RP here. Writing is a big undertaking, and everyone improves with each try. We could all use a little encouragement to get there, though.

OP, just curious, how old are you? Keep it up.

Offenheim
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Offenheim » Mon May 31, 2010 10:54 pm

North Amerikan States wrote:I've been writing a book for a few days and I was wondering what Nation States thought of it. Well, here goes the first chapter. Please leave comments on it.
Hello, my friends. I am the leader of a rebellion which was lost. I was stripped of my title and sent to a land of horrible punishment for what I did, though I only tried to end a the reign of a monster who couldn't even use his great power to end the suffering of those he called his "children". He instead spent his days seeing over how he could kill them, even the innocent. I was able to convince about a third of my brothers of his evil but we were still greatly outnumbered. I still mourn dragging them down with me in my failure.
The reasons for my rebellion are simple, although my lord knew he didn't need to be cruel he was. I think he enjoyed it quite a bit. I knew if I had his power I could do better with the lands he ruled. So I decided to take power from him by force, after his death I would end the suffering. The way I always wanted to. My evil lord then blamed me for what he did and even sent those he disliked to the land where I am tormented, I cannot help them but I do not hurt them. Even though my lord's "children" are told I do. In short, I got a horrible punishment for trying to end the suffering of the innocent.
Oh, I just realized I've not told you my name. How about I tell you my story first then I'll tell you who I am. My name is not really very important. Nor is my lord's. Though I'm sure you know me from somewhere. You'll be very surprised to hear it.

Alright. First paragraph. You've just taken away the suspense of most of the book, unless we're going to learn about your horrible punishment. Knowing you've lost is okay, but more details is too much. I can put down the book, since you just gave us the beginning, middle, and end in the first paragraph. Just tell us the beginning and the end. Tell us you have a lamentable tale, but don't tell us more than that. Save it for the rest of the book.

Second paragraph. Parts of the first paragraph could go here. Focus your paragraphs to one subject at a time. You've got your rebellion, your cruel lord, and your punishment all in one paragraph. Also, if you're going to talk about your evil lord, give us more concrete examples of his evilness.

Third paragraph. You better immediately surprise us in the fourth paragraph. You better be Al Gore, and your evil lord better be Bill Clinton, or something along those lines. You should be Judas, and your evil lord should be Jesus. Because if you're Sir Larry the Younger, and your evil lord is Mean King Tommy the Destroyer of Young Children's Dreams, I won't be surprised. I won't even know who you are.

The reader knows nothing. In fact, you haven't given us much concrete information. You're talking to us, but we don't know where. Describe some stuff to us. Details, details, details. Characterize yourself.

Also, generally, chapters are quite a few pages long. Unless you're writing some sort of meta-novel here, you should start fleshing out the chapter in general. Give us a setting, give us a problem.

It's a start, but if I saw the book on a shelf, I probably wouldn't buy it if all it had on the back was "An evil lord. A doomed rebellion. And a land of punishment."
"No one has yet learned to drive a locomotive sitting in his study."
-Leon Trotsky

A Royal Fellowship of Death (WW1 RP)
-Central Urpaian Front

Astralsideria
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Astralsideria » Mon May 31, 2010 10:59 pm

It looks like the idea might have potential, but I think it'd need a lot of work. I would also contest the point about 20-page chapters: Jane Austen wrote really rather short chapters; just a lot of them.
Vive la Sidéraure • Long live Astralsideria
AMOM's view: http://209.85.48.11/14831/181/emo/terrrrrrrrrize.png
Nobody does it better than Unicef: http://www.unicef.org/
« Quand on me dit, le capitalisme n'aime pas les pauvres, je réponds, c'est vrai, nous voulons en faire des riches. »

New Amerik
Powerbroker

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby New Amerik » Mon May 31, 2010 11:00 pm

Po0oh wrote:
New Amerik wrote:
Po0oh wrote:

Who said a series of posts strung together is any different? It's how your idea's flow, and how you choose to flow them. And right now it's like corrosive metal over jagged rocks.

Wait. I'm just speaking normally. This isn't usually indicative of how I......wait. Do you think I am the OP? I am not, and though my own writing lacks....well, it lacks a good number of things, but I think you might be confusing me for the other aspiring writer.

Nonetheless, I shall keep your points in mind.
The Basics of New Amerik
Founder of the ROUS
*NALOW 5 = Open Peace
NALOW 4 =
NALOW 2 = Open War
NALOW 1 = Total War
NALOW 0 = Blackout

Offenheim
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Offenheim » Mon May 31, 2010 11:03 pm

Generally, try to avoid archaic words. I know it contradicts another post, but people generally don't like having to go to a thesaurus to look up words that mean something they already know. Like chirugeon for surgeon. It does nothing but makes your reading less accessible.

Alright, I see the Satan vs. God thing now, I suppose that's reasonably surprising, but I feel like the cover's going to give it away pretty quickly.

But I do agree, you shouldn't be using "cruel" and "evil" as much as you are.
Last edited by Offenheim on Mon May 31, 2010 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No one has yet learned to drive a locomotive sitting in his study."
-Leon Trotsky

A Royal Fellowship of Death (WW1 RP)
-Central Urpaian Front

Shabarik
Envoy

Founded: May 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Shabarik » Mon May 31, 2010 11:04 pm

I could see a chapter being a minimum of two pages long, as seen in the Giant Peach.
I'm going to be out for a while, don't fret if I don't reply to your posts.

Nort Eurasia
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nort Eurasia » Mon May 31, 2010 11:05 pm

I do hope this is the rough copy of the 1st chapter. Otherwise, I suggest you write more.
You should not give in to evils, but proceed ever so boldly against them.

What is asserted without reason may be denied without reason.

A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it.

He that will not reason is a bigot; he that cannot reason is a fool; he that dares not reason is a slave.

Grandais
Minister

Founded: Jan 06, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Grandais » Mon May 31, 2010 11:06 pm

James and the Giant Peach is a childrens' book, of course it's short.
DEFCON 5 [4] 3 2 1
Grandais News|Factbook|Embassies

Po0oh
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Po0oh » Mon May 31, 2010 11:09 pm

New Amerik wrote:
Po0oh wrote:
New Amerik wrote:
Po0oh wrote:

Wait. I'm just speaking normally. This isn't usually indicative of how I......wait. Do you think I am the OP? I am not, and though my own writing lacks....well, it lacks a good number of things, but I think you might be confusing me for the other aspiring writer.

Nonetheless, I shall keep your points in mind.
Listen bro. I'm sorry. Keep on keepin on. You'll be fine. The only thing I could say is use lots of idioms, synecdoche's, onomopias (<----I hardly use these, and all the more reason to.), vary sentence structure and length, never start more than two sentences in a row with "I" unless it's a dialogue, and try to flow the narration change from 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and Omniscent points of view. 2nd is very tricky but in the hands of a skilled writer, is probably one of the best. Keep the words vivid, sometimes archaic is good sometimes it isn't. Lastly, suck the writer in. The only way to do this, is to read more than you write. I mean like nobel prize winning books. This gives you a sense of how they do it and how to emulator it. You'll be a pro buddy. Keep trying.
Last edited by Po0oh on Mon May 31, 2010 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sau Dade
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sau Dade » Mon May 31, 2010 11:11 pm

North Amerikan States wrote:I've been writing a book for a few days and I was wondering what Nation States thought of it. Well, here goes the first chapter. Please leave comments on it.
Hello, my friends. I am the leader of a rebellion which was lost. I was stripped of my title
and sent to a land of horrible punishment for what I did, though I only tried to end a the reign of
a monster who couldn't even use his great power to end the suffering of those he called
his "children". He instead spent his days seeing over how he could kill them, even the innocent.
I was able to convince about a third of my brothers of his evil but we were still greatly outnumbered.
I still mourn dragging them down with me in my failure.
The reasons for my rebellion are simple, although my lord knew he didn't need to be cruel
he was. I think he enjoyed it quite a bit. I knew if I had his power I could do better with the lands
he ruled. So I decided to take power from him by force, after his death I would end the suffering.
The way I always wanted to. My evil lord then blamed me for what he did and even sent those
he disliked to the land where I am tormented, I cannot help them but I do not hurt them. Even
though my lord's "children" are told I do. In short, I got a horrible punishment for trying to end the
suffering of the innocent.
Oh, I just realized I've not told you my name. How about I tell you my story first then I'll
tell you who I am. My name is not really very important. Nor is my lord's. Though I'm sure you know me
from somewhere. You'll be very surprised to hear it.

you might try keeping a blog. try to write about everything and read constantly, too. it's definitely improved my writing stylistically over the years, though I'm still best at stream of consciousness writing...go figure.

New Amerik
Powerbroker

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby New Amerik » Mon May 31, 2010 11:13 pm

Grandais wrote:James and the Giant Peach is a childrens' book, of course it's short.

A children's book? If, as suspected, our potential author is speaking of Satan's rebellion, then it would be....interesting...to see it done as a children's book.

Imagine the illustrations!
The Basics of New Amerik
Founder of the ROUS
*NALOW 5 = Open Peace
NALOW 4 =
NALOW 2 = Open War
NALOW 1 = Total War
NALOW 0 = Blackout

Nort Eurasia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Nort Eurasia » Mon May 31, 2010 11:16 pm

New Amerik wrote:
Grandais wrote:James and the Giant Peach is a childrens' book, of course it's short.

A children's book? If, as suspected, our potential author is speaking of Satan's rebellion, then it would be....interesting...to see it done as a children's book.

And imagine if he utilized rhyming! It would be like the Doctor Seuss version of the Bible!
Last edited by Nort Eurasia on Mon May 31, 2010 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it.

He that will not reason is a bigot; he that cannot reason is a fool; he that dares not reason is a slave.

DaWoad
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby DaWoad » Mon May 31, 2010 11:20 pm

Nort Eurasia wrote:
New Amerik wrote:

And imagine if he utilized rhyming! It would be like the Doctor Seuss version of the Bible!

I do not like those sodomites
I do not like them, dude who smites

heh not gonna continue with the "would you like them" section.
Official Nation States Trainer
Factbook:http://nationstates.wikia.com/wiki/User:Dawoad
Alliances:The Hegemony, The GDF, SCUTUM

Supporter of making [citation needed] the official NSG way to say "source?"

Nort Eurasia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Nort Eurasia » Mon May 31, 2010 11:24 pm

DaWoad wrote:
Nort Eurasia wrote:
New Amerik wrote:

Hah! This is ingenious! :clap:

DaWoad
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby DaWoad » Mon May 31, 2010 11:26 pm

Nort Eurasia wrote:
DaWoad wrote:
Nort Eurasia wrote:
New Amerik wrote:

lol sorry I truely couldn't help myself It's an awesome idea If had the time/stubbornness I'd genuinely try it.
Official Nation States Trainer
Factbook:http://nationstates.wikia.com/wiki/User:Dawoad
Alliances:The Hegemony, The GDF, SCUTUM

Supporter of making [citation needed] the official NSG way to say "source?"

Nort Eurasia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Nort Eurasia » Mon May 31, 2010 11:29 pm

DaWoad wrote:
Nort Eurasia wrote:
DaWoad wrote:
Nort Eurasia wrote:
New Amerik wrote:

lol sorry I truely couldn't help myself It's an awesome idea If had the time/stubbornness I'd genuinely try it.

It certainly would be entertaining, to say the least. One would at least be able to re-write the book of Genesis in a rhyme form.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction