NATION

PASSWORD

Muse 'Won't Stand Down' - Keeping rock alive?

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.
Cappedore
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 16, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Muse 'Won't Stand Down' - Keeping rock alive?

Postby Cappedore » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:17 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d55ELY17CFM

Recently, English rock band Muse released a brand new single titled 'Won't Stand Down' and it's kinda blown up in the last 24 hours.

The song sounds like an alternative / heavy metal, with hard rock and hard synth involved, sounds like the old Muse sound.

My question is, if you listen to the song (linked above), do you think it can revive rock music from the ashes?
- Legislator and current Minister of Culture in The East Pacific.
- Former President, Deputy Prime Minister, Senator, and socialite of the Union of Allied States.
- 18 year old Brit with too many aspirations.
- Member of the Labour Party (UK).
- A fan of Clement Attlee.
Minister of Culture - The East Pacific
(Please acknowledge that what I say, promote, endorse, or oppose are NOT official positions of WAA in TEP unless explicitly stated otherwise.)
President Austin Merrill | Vice President Cleveland Durand | Chancellor Maya Murray

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:53 am

Saying 'rock and roll is dead' is a way to say "I got old" without saying it.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Utquiagvik
Minister

Founded: Nov 04, 2021
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Utquiagvik » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:00 am

Wow, a million views already. The main problem with reviving rock is that there just aren't as many people making it now. If people continued making it, the genre would rise back up in popularity. Rock isn't completely dead obviously, but it isn't as strong of a music industry as it used to be. I would really like to see the 1970s- Early 1980s style come back.
Utquiagvik, a war criminal’s paradise.
Known for its ruined cities and addiction to war.
Jimmy Aligatami welcomes you to Utquiagvik.

Democratic Utquiagvik has returned. Don’t worry, we are still evil.
Founder of the ADTO, and Member of The KTO, UCN, VA, SATA, ATO, FWC, POID and DAD.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:02 am

My question is, if you listen to the song (linked above), do you think it can revive rock music from the ashes?

Rock music is already alive. 2021 had ‘good 4 u’ and ‘My Universe’, probably the two best rock songs released in the history of music
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Cappedore
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 16, 2017

Postby Cappedore » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:35 pm

Honeydewistania wrote:

Rock music is already alive. 2021 had ‘good 4 u’ and ‘My Universe’, probably the two best rock songs released in the history of music

Very funny...
- Legislator and current Minister of Culture in The East Pacific.
- Former President, Deputy Prime Minister, Senator, and socialite of the Union of Allied States.
- 18 year old Brit with too many aspirations.
- Member of the Labour Party (UK).
- A fan of Clement Attlee.
Minister of Culture - The East Pacific
(Please acknowledge that what I say, promote, endorse, or oppose are NOT official positions of WAA in TEP unless explicitly stated otherwise.)
President Austin Merrill | Vice President Cleveland Durand | Chancellor Maya Murray

HISPIDA
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 21, 2021
Anarchy

Postby HISPIDA » Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:57 pm

rock music is well and alive
Algerstonia did nothing wrong. Hold Moderators accountable. (she/they)
"We have liberated Europe from fascism, and they will never forgive us for it." - Georgy Zhukov (purportedly)
read my iiwiki
free palestine. trans rights are human rights. no war but class war
Victory Day: February 23, 2022

Hemakral
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 02, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Hemakral » Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:59 pm

Hispida wrote:rock music is well and alive

damn straight
._.

Elejamie
Senator

Founded: Jan 31, 2009
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Elejamie » Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:35 pm

Honeydewistania wrote:

And don't forget Måneskin, a rock band, winning the Eurovision Song Contest for Italy last year with Zitti e buoni, a rock song. Not only did it get 529 points but every nation that took part that wasn't Italy voted for it (at least in the televote, it wasn't as popular with the juries).

Anyway, to answer OP's question: No. In all honesty, rock isn't dead per se but rather it's a lot more underground, at least in general. Rap and EDM songs are usually a lot cheaper, quicker and easier to make which is why they chart more and thus get more exposure. Because why spend more time and money learning and playing instruments, assembling a group of people and renting out studio time when you could easily make a simple but catchy beat on your computer; if you need a particular sound for a song you could always make it on one of your many keyboards with its many settings, hire someone who plays that instrument for a few hours (assuming or simply just sample some old songs. That isn't to say rock will stay underground, it just needs to find its footing again. It needs to find a way to actually make it stand out and be enjoyable and find a way to impress kids enough that they'd be willing to learn how to play their instruments and form their own bands. And also to not simply be all "how do you do, fellow kids" if it's trying to mix in some elements of modern music or be all "no Swedish songwriters 100% troo rawk" if they're taking an old school approach. It will happen but probably in a few years.

Besides I don't really listen to Muse (I don't have anything against them, they're just a band I've not really found an excuse to listen to) and, to be honest, I kind of suspect that most of the views from that song that was linked at the beginning are from people who are already fans.
Last edited by Elejamie on Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Elejamie (English); Elejamia (Spanish); Elejam (Iyilim) - Denonym: Elejamian - Pronounced (English): Eh-leh-jah-meh
I INTRODUCED THE NS SPORTS COMMUNITY TO URINATINGTREE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS SIGNATURE / Я з Україною

OOC: Miserable opinionated hipster.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction