NATION

PASSWORD

Most Surprising Album?

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.
Imperial States of Duotona
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 08, 2021
Ex-Nation

Most Surprising Album?

Postby Imperial States of Duotona » Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:37 pm

What album did you go into not expecting much but walked out of it being amazed by what you heard? Maybe you heard bad reviews but you personally went against the critics consensus. Maybe it's from a genre that you weren't particularly a fan of, but it impressed you or even made you a fan. Any reason is allowed.

For me, the album has to be Wanderlust by The Quick Brown Fox. I was never a fan of speedcore before this album, with the most I'd ever heard from the genre being The Big Black (by the same artist). I just saw it as fast and loud music only crafted to make ridiculously hard charts in rhythm games. And then I heard this by complete chance.
One of the best misclicks I've ever made.
Despite following the average speedcore format of blazing drum breaks and utter chaotic sections, this album in particular shows emotion where few other similar artists do. My favourite track has to be the title track, which has those incredibly chaotic sections which I soon came to love, followed by pixelated interludes which have so much charm and drag me back to 2012 when the album released. I then went back to the track I initially dismissed earlier and realised it had the same type of energy, but just evil.

who would've thought some of the best music I discovered this year will be released by an artist with the persona of a piñata furry
Duotona is a nation nestled in the Pacific Ocean. Marked by the scars of its bloody past, the people of Duotona persist and have given the nation a voice from which it preaches the word of peace and democracy across the globe!
Nation reflects OOC views. NS stats are sent to the shadow realm.
My Carrd, for where else I lurk online.

Diplomat

Founded: Sep 08, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial States of Duotona » Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:44 pm

/bump

Also, if you wanna listen to the album I mentioned in the OP, it is here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vd9MU3vhp20
Last edited by Imperial States of Duotona on Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duotona is a nation nestled in the Pacific Ocean. Marked by the scars of its bloody past, the people of Duotona persist and have given the nation a voice from which it preaches the word of peace and democracy across the globe!
Nation reflects OOC views. NS stats are sent to the shadow realm.
My Carrd, for where else I lurk online.

Rick Perry
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 24, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Rick Perry » Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:49 pm

I was genuinely super surprised at how good this album turned out.https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... O_jM5AY6tx

Cadonica
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 19, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Cadonica » Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:09 am

Slayer's last album, Repentless, comes to mind. I liked their first two albums, wasn't too impressed with the rest but then Repentless was on par with the first two. At least for me :p
Another case that comes to mind are Pantera's first four albums. Of course I was a little surprised to learn that Cowboys from Hell wasn't Pantera's debut album but I was even more surprised by how good their glam era was. I actually prefer it to their "true" stuff :lol:

And of course since "Most Surprising Album" can go both ways, I was surprised by how poor Mayhem's Grand Declaration of War was, especially when you consider how legendary De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas is.

I could probably come with way more examples but that'll suffice for now-
IC
Steam, Last.fm, RYM
Call me Cad or Sisu.
That's what they said:Once you go black metal...

That's what I said:
That Finnish bastard. ~2011
Sleeping is overrated. ~2012
I'm only gay with females. ~2013
Wings are sexy and you know it! ~2013.

Mun Slleackst
Secretary

Founded: Nov 01, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Mun Slleackst » Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:01 pm

Kid A - Radiohead
Never got into the IBM/Electronic music scene but I don’t know what it is but I love this album with a passion. The National Anthem & Idioteque are some of the best songs of Radiohead’s entire career. I felt disappointed with Hail To The Thief when I listened to it & I excepted to not like this one but I was really surprised.

GENSOC
Envoy

Founded: Nov 12, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby GENSOC » Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:09 am

Harakiri for the Sky's Aokigahara
Heard bad things, was treated to an absolutely amazing album tainted by an unbelievably awful cover of Mad World in the middle.
But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. The Shrine Maiden had won the victory over herself. She loved Big Youkai.
Proud Crazy Floridian lady
Burgeoning luddite
I like fishing, biking, hunting, exploring nature, shooting, muscle cars, tanks, and animals of all shapes and sizes
Biology enthusiast, environmentalist, metalhead, rye whiskey chugger, fish nerd, Transformers collector, Touhou fan, and Godzilla nut
Say no to IPAs! Drink a goddamn gose or tripel already!
I own so many guns I've lost count
D O I T A G A I N B O M B E R H A R R I S

Return to Arts & Fiction