NATION

PASSWORD

The Summer Read List

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.
Jenrak
Retired Moderator

Founded: Oct 06, 2004
Ex-Nation

The Summer Read List

Postby Jenrak » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:58 pm

I wouldn't really call it a blitz, but I've finished reading the books from a few things, and when I say a few things, I mean to say that I just read a whole shitload of books recently. I don't know why, really, since it's not like I'm forced to do it, but I just found it fantastic and decided to. Now, for the many books I read, the ones I particularly enjoyed were:

1. Robertson Davies' Fifth Business
A book that they force a large number of Canadian High School students to read. Now, I didn't really enjoy it too much when I was in High School, but taking a look back and reading it again made me really enjoy the whole thing. It was a more of a large freudian archetypal styled scenario than really defining any one particular genre, and it writes itself in the manner of a godawful long narrative essay. However, as you go more and more into it, you feel the building of the myth, and there it becomes a much more enjoyable read.

2. Mary Shelley's Frankenstein
A classical book that I believed created the mainstream acknowledgment of the monster science fiction scene. Frankenstein is the original novel of the mad scientist who gives life by playing god, and throughout the novel there is the question of theology and philosophy - why were we made? Frankenstein is a bit of a tough read in its original text, and without looking carefully at the entire thing more closely the character dialogues seem very similar, making them seem all too very alike. However, to get a feel for it, I suggest it in its original text. Just take it slow and easy.

3. Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451
Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 places the value of knowledge much higher, as in the semi-dystopian future the loss of one girl sets forth a chain of events that leads one man from a life of complacency and ordinary ignorance to the regeneration of free thought in society. Laden with surreal imagery, consistent symbolism and dark logic (the stretched billboards and the panels), the bleak future of Fahrenheit 451 is crafted in a way that makes it seem as if it were actually possible.

4.Adam Smith's The Wealth of Nations
The large scenario book about the foundation of modern economics. Geography, money, value, self-interest, everything. Those who are particular interested in politics and economics may have had run downs occasionally with this thick novel, and while it may seem cyclical and self-repeating at times, the information provided here in the creation of our modern day economic power is both incredible and frightening at the same time.

Those are my suggestions for those who wish for a summer read. What are yours?

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Re: The Summer Read List

Postby The Romulan Republic » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:01 pm

I'm planning on reading Moby Dick (for my father, and because its a classic), East of Eden (at my mother's request), and Dracula (been on my list for a while) this summer.
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - President Abraham Lincoln.

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:19 am

I've finished reading the books I told myself I was going to read. Now it's just the boring toddler books they assigned us for school... :( Ok well either they're boring and stupid or I already read them. :rofl:
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Zeikden
Civil Servant

Founded: May 24, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Zeikden » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:10 am

You really should read "Starship Troopers" by Robert Heinlein. It's nothing like the movie, and is actually very thought provoking.

Antilon
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 11, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Antilon » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:23 am

My AP English course summer reading:

Grapes of Wrath, John Steinbeck
Kite Runner, Khaled Hosseini
Native Son, Richard Wright

Please don't post any spoilers, but do warn me if any of the books are crap.

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:26 am

Antilon wrote:My AP English course summer reading:

The Grapes of Wrath is a good one. You can look forward to that! I really want to read Kite Runner, but I havn't been able to get my hands on it. And I don't know too much about Native Son...
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Jenrak
Retired Moderator

Founded: Oct 06, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Jenrak » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:38 pm

Antilon wrote:My AP English course summer reading:

Grapes of Wrath is a good one, yeah.

I've never heard of Native Son, but a friend of mine who's very critical in his preferences said that Kite Runner is a very good book.

Antemyst
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Antemyst » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:42 pm

Native Son should be good. A little long-winded, maybe.
Antemyst | Crystalline Fosterman | Xaymaca
“If you can't do it, we will.” -Frenadrix

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction