NATION

PASSWORD

Rate the last game you played!

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.
HISPIDA
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 21, 2021
Anarchy

Rate the last game you played!

Postby HISPIDA » Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:59 am

Originally taken from a thread on Smashboards.

So, NS. I'm sure a lot of you enjoy video games, right? I mean, I don't know you. Maybe you hate video games and you think I'm an idiot for making a thread like this. Eh, whatever, you do you, boo. But what I think is one of the most important, and interesting, features of gaming is how games make you feel. Video games are the only form of interactive media that can make someone feel like they were personally impacted by something they had input in. That's why I think rating video games is such a fascinating thing; it's like rating life experiences, in a way.

So, NS. Rate the last game you finished! It can be anything. Super Mario Bros., Call of Duty, maybe you've played nothing but Animal Crossing for 3 weeks straight. That doesn't matter! I'm just curious about how you'd rank the last game you've played. Feel free to include more details about it! Here's mine:

10/10

Obviously, unmarked spoilers ahead. Seriously, play the game first if you care about that. I'll give a warning when they start, but just a heads up.

How do I begin to describe this game? It didn't even feel like a game. It felt like an experience. No other game, including the 2020 remake and maybe excluding the entire Ace Attorney franchise, has led me on an adventure this moving. No other game has led me on an experience, figuring out the deepest machinations of not just these characters which I've come to view as something of an extended family but of myself. It's hard for me to describe how emotional this game made me. Four games have made me cry; Life is Strange, Okami, FF7 Remake, and Final Fantasy VII. Two games have made me cry twice; this game and the remake. No games have made me cry thrice. One game has made me cry four times; this game. Final Fantasy VII. No game has made me cry solely by playing a piece of music; except for this game.

The amount of feeling this game exudes just... blows everything else out of the water. It's hard for me to put into words how important this game has become to me over the past week. I've played it for four days straight, from replaying Disc 1 to the end, and in those four days I've laughed, become angry, cried, been shocked, and be lead to re-evaluate myself and how I interact with others. This game has carved itself into my mind, for better or for worse, and as I'm writing this I'm planning to play Crisis Core, the prequel released for the PSP, and buy the novellas. I also eventually plan to watch the sequel movie, Advent Children.

Major story spoilers begin here!

When Aerith died my breath was genuinely taken away.

I mean, I knew it was coming. It's hard not to have that part of the game spoiled for you. Hell, I even watched the scene more than once to make a few memes. But when I watched it, when I saw it happen while I was playing... fuck, it's hard to describe. I mean, it was like having a family member ripped away from you. And when her theme kicked, I actually sobbed like a kid. I sobbed over a scene I knew was happening, twice; both when I first played Disc 1 and when I replayed it with a retranslation patch I used for the rest of the game. I'm actually tearing up right now thinking about it. It's so hard to describe how this felt.

When it's revealed that Cloud was living a lie during the climax of Disc 2, I cried again. It was such a shocking moment. It's, unironically, my favorite twist in gaming; no, in fiction. The fact that Cloud's entire life was a delusion is something that's so ballsy and shocking that it took me a second to fully comprehend it. The song that plays during that moment, Who... Am I?, quickly became my favorite song in the OST. It also reinforced my shipping of Cloud and Tifa, who quickly became my favorite ship of all time. As characters, they're two of my favorites and characters I find great comfort in.

It's hard to talk about this game without talking about its villain. Sephiroth. The Man in the Black Cloak. The One-Winged Angel. My favorite character in fiction. Sephiroth's presence feels like someone breathing down your back. It gives you shivers; especially when Sephiroth bends Cloud's mind and forces him to give him the Black Materia. "Professor, I want a number." The fact that Sephiroth can do that alone makes hi so much more threatening. The fact that he took over Jenova, whose name is literally a portmanteau of "Jehovah" and "Nova," or "New God," and functionally made her into a slave is another indicator of his immense power. He's a subtle manipulator, a terrifying presence, a new God. He's earned the moniker of being the strongest character in the compilation's universe for good reason.

Major story spoilers end here!

Just like Sephiroth, it's hard to talk about this game without talking about its music. Nobuo Uematsu is truly a modern-day Mozart or Kant. From absolute tribal-classical fusion bangers like Cosmo Canyon, or beautifully emotional beats such as Words Drowned Out by Fireworks, or high-octane battle songs such as Birth Of A God, there's not a single song in this game that goes wasted. Every single song in the OST has a place, and it feels wrong when they're taken away, such as in the flashback scene in Disc 3 when you visit Shinra Mansion, but it works so well. There's songs that feel overbearing, bloated, and crushing like Mako Reactor and the steady, orchestral, and divinely glorious One-Winged Angel that encapsulates the awesome terror of Sephiroth's newfound godhood; hell, the song itself is a prayer to him.

So, what am I trying to say? Am I trying to say that FF7 is a perfect game?

...Well, uh... yeah. There are some small issues with fetch quests and less-than-perfect translation, but these can be overlooked and fixed. Final Fantasy VII is a perfected melodrama, a hallmark of the industry, and earned its title as the greatest game of all time.
Last edited by HISPIDA on Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Algerstonia did nothing wrong. Hold Moderators accountable. (she/they)
"We have liberated Europe from fascism, and they will never forgive us for it." - Georgy Zhukov (purportedly)
read my iiwiki
free palestine. trans rights are human rights. no war but class war
Victory Day: February 23, 2022

Ghost Land
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 14, 2014
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Ghost Land » Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:18 am

Last game I played was Harvest Moon: The Tale of Two Towns (2010) for the Nintendo DS, the tenth Harvest Moon game produced overall across platforms as part of a series that's been around since the 90s. I've been playing it off and on since I got it seven years ago, and Reina and I are finally going to be married two in-game days from now :D

Basically the premise of any Harvest Moon games is that you're a young adult living on a farm, and it's your job to grow crops, earn money, become friends with the villagers, and get married and have a kid. In this game, you get to pick between two villages, though you have to talk to everyone from both and the main storyline involves getting the two towns to like each other again through competing in cooking festivals four times each in-game month. In the previous one (Harvest Moon: Grand Bazaar (2008)), the main goal was to put the town on the map through expanding their weekly bazaar, which is accomplished by setting up your stand, selling a lot of stuff, and making a lot of money. Each game is different in terms of the story and the exact personality types of the characters, but there are a lot of similarities and you can get into one without having played any of the others just fine.

I'd give it an 8/10. Good, well-made game overall, but it doesn't quite captivate me as much as Grand Bazaar did.
Forum account/puppet of 60s Music.
Originally joined 24 April 2012.
All lives matter. Race, age, and gender are unimportant.
Me OOC
Awesome/Funny Quotes
Right-wing libertarian
This nation reflects the OPPOSITE of my views.
Pro: Donald Trump, tougher border laws, 1st/2nd Amendments, benevolent dictators, libertarianism, capitalism
Anti: Democratic Party, The Clintons, Joe Biden, Nancy Pelosi, abortion, gun control, #MeToo, communism, racism and racial nationalism, affirmative action, SJWs

HISPIDA
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 21, 2021
Anarchy

Postby HISPIDA » Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:50 am

Ghost Land wrote:Last game I played was Harvest Moon: The Tale of Two Towns (2010) for the Nintendo DS, the tenth Harvest Moon game produced overall across platforms as part of a series that's been around since the 90s. I've been playing it off and on since I got it seven years ago, and Reina and I are finally going to be married two in-game days from now :D

Basically the premise of any Harvest Moon games is that you're a young adult living on a farm, and it's your job to grow crops, earn money, become friends with the villagers, and get married and have a kid. In this game, you get to pick between two villages, though you have to talk to everyone from both and the main storyline involves getting the two towns to like each other again through competing in cooking festivals four times each in-game month. In the previous one (Harvest Moon: Grand Bazaar (2008)), the main goal was to put the town on the map through expanding their weekly bazaar, which is accomplished by setting up your stand, selling a lot of stuff, and making a lot of money. Each game is different in terms of the story and the exact personality types of the characters, but there are a lot of similarities and you can get into one without having played any of the others just fine.

I'd give it an 8/10. Good, well-made game overall, but it doesn't quite captivate me as much as Grand Bazaar did.

Oh, I've tried playing Harvest Moon. It and Stardew Valley aren't particularly my cup of tea, but I definitely enjoyed the cozy little farm atmosphere they had.
Algerstonia did nothing wrong. Hold Moderators accountable. (she/they)
"We have liberated Europe from fascism, and they will never forgive us for it." - Georgy Zhukov (purportedly)
read my iiwiki
free palestine. trans rights are human rights. no war but class war
Victory Day: February 23, 2022

Fedel
Minister

Founded: Mar 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Fedel » Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:59 pm

Civilization IV ( 10/10 ).
Last edited by Fedel on Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nimzonia
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 27, 2004
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Nimzonia » Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:18 am

Kerbal Space Program, 10/10.

Although, since playing it, I can no longer watch or read space opera without constantly going "no, you fools, space doesn't work like that!" and rolling my eyes at magical spaceships with infinite delta V.

Keira
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Keira » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:39 am

700+ hours on Europa Universalis 4, currently playing as Finland (non-Ironman).

It's a bit slow for my liking (and for my 2013 PC lol), and the amount of DLCs really sucks. Other than that, it's pretty cool once you conquer the steep learning curve (wasn't too difficult for me tbh). ~8/10.
⠀⠀⠀⠀Federation⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ of ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Keira⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Social Liberalism - Keynesianism - Technoliberalism
Wiki | Map | President | Factbooks

About me | she / they | Liberal & Pragmatic Social Democrat | Prussian Lithuanian in UK | No game stats | Dark theme | ex-DOS
Main: Helvena | Other puppets: Ygria Osttera

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:31 pm

Rimworld.

10/10.

Ideology expansion had me create a tribe of underground darkness dwelling cannibal raiders hostile to everyone. We go on raids for human flesh.

One random quest, some guy had the absolute balls to ask to come and stay with us for a year so he can learn our culture and then go back to his tribe, and I decided it was too funny to pass up.

"Yes, by all means. Come and visit our mountain dwelling. Just pass the piles of bones and corpses, pass the mass grave and the *as yet unused* mass grave. Hop over the steel barricades, past the fence, past the battery farm with all the animals in steel cages. Walk your way up to the spikes with human heads impaled on them, and open the big, heavy, black, granite door.

Welcome! Welcome to our home! It is a pitch black cave you will be staying in for the next year. We will be serving cave fungus, human flesh, and milk. You will be sleeping over there *gestures to a corner of a pitch black cave with no bed* Please ignore us, we'll be the other corners of the same room, each having sex with our spouses. Please do not speak to us, because we are a violently xenophobic people and will not take kindly to it unless you adopt our ways wholeheartedly. But you are free to observe and take part in the culture as an outsider besides this".

He had a mental breakdown by day two and started kicking off. We went off to raid and murder his tribe, and then served them to him. He had serious mental breakdowns and started kicking off more and more, so we killed and ate him, and impaled his head on a spike in the living room.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Names Are Too Hard
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 17, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Names Are Too Hard » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:35 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:Rimworld.

10/10.

Ideology expansion had me create a tribe of underground darkness dwelling cannibal raiders hostile to everyone. We go on raids for human flesh.

One random quest, some guy had the absolute balls to ask to come and stay with us for a year so he can learn our culture and then go back to his tribe, and I decided it was too funny to pass up.

"Yes, by all means. Come and visit our mountain dwelling. Just pass the piles of bones and corpses, pass the mass grave and the *as yet unused* mass grave. Hop over the steel barricades, past the fence, past the battery farm with all the animals in steel cages. Walk your way up to the spikes with human heads impaled on them, and open the big, heavy, black, granite door.

Welcome! Welcome to our home! It is a pitch black cave you will be staying in for the next year. We will be serving cave fungus, human flesh, and milk. You will be sleeping over there *gestures to a corner of a pitch black cave with no bed* Please ignore us, we'll be the other corners of the same room, each having sex with our spouses. Please do not speak to us, because we are a violently xenophobic people and will not take kindly to it unless you adopt our ways wholeheartedly. But you are free to observe and take part in the culture as an outsider besides this".

He had a mental breakdown by day two and started kicking off. We went off to raid and murder his tribe, and then served them to him. He had serious mental breakdowns and started kicking off more and more, so we killed and ate him, and impaled his head on a spike in the living room.

Same here:
Rimworld, 10/10

Entire colony fell victim to a particularly angry raccoon.
Sometimes words sound good in my head but my tongue make not the words sound good
Typos and bad grammar are likely due to me being on mobile, but might just be cause I’m stupid.
Organized religion bad

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:40 pm

Names Are Too Hard wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:Rimworld.

10/10.

Same here:
Rimworld, 10/10

Entire colony fell victim to a particularly angry raccoon.

I very much dislike racoons for this reason :p
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Diarcesia
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 21, 2016
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Diarcesia » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:42 pm

Not the last game I played but 7.8/10 there's too much water.

Names Are Too Hard
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Names Are Too Hard » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:48 pm

Diarcesia wrote:Not the last game I played but 7.8/10 there's too much water.

subnautica?
Sometimes words sound good in my head but my tongue make not the words sound good
Typos and bad grammar are likely due to me being on mobile, but might just be cause I’m stupid.
Organized religion bad

Josephi-Obamastan
Civilian

Founded: Jul 19, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Josephi-Obamastan » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:53 pm

Touhou Lost Word
It's fun, but the gacha rates are absurd.
I'd rate it 5/7
sometimes life is like pvz
and i'm the wall-nut ;_;

Isles of Eamhna
Attaché

Founded: May 07, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Isles of Eamhna » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:27 am

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild — I give it a solid 10/10
Isles of EamhnaAoidhe Eamhna
Eamhna is pronounced Ave-ruh, as though you've been punched in the stomach while saying Avril Lavigne
Naoimn Eaimhnidhtthe Emnian Phrasebook

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:22 pm

HELP.

I have had a big pen for all the cows. Like half the map is blocked off for them. I bring them in for winter. First year was a struggle. Second year was a bit of a mess and I forgot to cull them. There are now 130 cows in my base, and they're cooking it. It's all designed to keep heat trapped in. The heat has reached 60 degrees just from body heat and my guys now all have too much heatstroke to fix the problem. One almost reached the front door to open it and let the winter in, but collapsed.

We're going to drown in cow.

When the next tribe attacks me, they're going to crack open the evil raider base the size of a mountain, be hit with a blast of fire, and find it full of steak and dead cannibal raiders who drowned in cow. I have built the worlds largest oven, surrounded it in spikes and skulls and barricades and mass graves and warnings to stay away, put myself in it, and then fueled it with cow. It is too late for us.

THIS IS NOT A PLACE OF HONOR.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:24 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Ostro.MOV

Names Are Too Hard
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Names Are Too Hard » Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:37 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:HELP.

I have had a big pen for all the cows. Like half the map is blocked off for them. I bring them in for winter. First year was a struggle. Second year was a bit of a mess and I forgot to cull them. There are now 130 cows in my base, and they're cooking it. It's all designed to keep heat trapped in. The heat has reached 60 degrees just from body heat and my guys now all have too much heatstroke to fix the problem. One almost reached the front door to open it and let the winter in, but collapsed.

We're going to drown in cow.

When the next tribe attacks me, they're going to crack open the evil raider base the size of a mountain, be hit with a blast of fire, and find it full of steak and dead cannibal raiders who drowned in cow. I have built the worlds largest oven, surrounded it in spikes and skulls and barricades and mass graves and warnings to stay away, put myself in it, and then fueled it with cow. It is too late for us.

THIS IS NOT A PLACE OF HONOR.

I’ve heard of community barbecues but this is a bit extreme, don’t you think?
Organized religion bad

Escalia
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 10, 2014

Postby Escalia » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:33 am

Crusader Kings 2
Never before has murder and intrigue been so fun. And is good for a dark chuckle here and there The mods make it even better, especially After The End, set in a post-apocalyptic Americas. That one in particular has a ton of flavor.
Only downside for the game is that it often tends to lag once it gets a couple centuries in.
10/10.

Diarcesia
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 21, 2016

Postby Diarcesia » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:37 pm

Escalia wrote:Crusader Kings 2
Never before has murder and intrigue been so fun. And is good for a dark chuckle here and there The mods make it even better, especially After The End, set in a post-apocalyptic Americas. That one in particular has a ton of flavor.
Only downside for the game is that it often tends to lag once it gets a couple centuries in.
10/10.

May God help you if you learn about
xwedodah

Gim
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Gim » Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:16 am

Runescape 3.

I say: 8/10. Graphics need a bit of tweak.
All You Need to Know about Gim
Male, 17, Protestant Christian, British

TTow
Secretary

Founded: Jun 08, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby TTow » Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:39 am

I love lotteries and loot boxes games on themysterybox.org. I started playing loot boxes games just to try my luck and win smth cool. It's a win-win game and I hope the lady luck will be on my side. Plus it's very entertaining, you pay only for the secret content in the box.
Last edited by TTow on Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elsa De Arendelle
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 16, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Elsa De Arendelle » Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:14 pm

Tenchu Wrath of Heaven 10/10

Random Nation 2930
Lobbyist

Founded: May 10, 2021
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Random Nation 2930 » Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:46 pm

Note: A crappy post I haven’t even proofread yet. Quantity means nothing

Particracy 8/10. It’s easy to learn and a decent game, especially when you get to develop its lore and pass laws while hoping for support (or not) from other political parties. For new players, I recommend picking Kazulia as your nation. The problem with games like these is that it either forces you to create a player limit (which this game has, specifically about 400 players) or it results in a few parties with a bunch of power and the majority have close to none, unless you keep enlarging parliaments until you reach 500000 seats or something. On top of that, almost everything here is based on a real-world nation, or religion, or culture, or something else. If they had more unique worldthings I’d probably have enjoyed it more. Finally, if you’re inactive for three days your account will get disabled and you’ll have to ask the mods to reactivate it. Honestly, there should be a system that automatically allows you to reactivate your account once you log in instead of making the mods do it since it gets annoying after a few times (or you just have to create a new account), but the current system is still decent. Three days is a little short and is what makes mod reactivating annoying, but it’s reasonable since there’s a player limit.

A new Particracy has been released and Particracy has become Classic Particracy. I haven’t tried it out yet, but from the developer’s articles it seems to remove a lot of the roleplaying aspect of Particracy, since it implements a system where characters have given birth and death times and militaries are created in the game instead of through the forum.
Last edited by Random Nation 2930 on Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:16 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Basically what many Americans think every terrorist organisation ever is.
Will never get factbooks, now just my new factbook dumper.
Top 150 in authoritarianism finally reached! Inactivity means I’m back down to 180 though.
The Big Owl-loving one's new main nation.
NSG, F7 and II are equally bad, I just happen to post in all of them.
brettenwald don’t get back at me please

Cosmic79
Envoy

Founded: Jul 16, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosmic79 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:37 am

GTA San Andreas 7/10 fun game but has aged badly, lost a part of its tracklist and doesn't pull off controls well, that also relate to primary and secondary quests. Still worth playing.

Snowish Republic
Bureaucrat

Founded: Feb 16, 2021

Postby Snowish Republic » Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:10 pm

Animal Crossing: New Leaf - 8/10
Idk i just like it a lot. Probably rose tinted glasses though
- Snowland / the Snowish Republic -

Snowland, officially the Snowish Republic, is a country located in two entire planets. Snowland is a socialist state, with multiple political parties, but all being a different type of socialism. Snowland contains both humans and furries.

If you have any suggestions for what I could add to my factbooks, you can DM me what the suggestion is, and I'll see if I'll use it or not. No fascist nations allowed, not even if you don't believe in your nation's ideals.

Other account with Snowland as its name (currently dead): Snowland | I don't think this nation represents my views? I don't think? Probably not.

! Support Palestine, please !

Smosh games
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 15, 2020
Ex-Nation

Rate the last game you played

Postby Smosh games » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:03 am

Football Manager 20 8/10 Sure, it has its flaws, namely the ME, but when (and if) things work out, it is so satisfying...

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction