NATION

PASSWORD

SciFi Worldbuilding Tropes

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Zeloria
Envoy

Founded: Apr 21, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Zeloria » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:16 am

New yugoslavaia wrote:
Heloin wrote:It’s astonishing that 120 years after War of the Worlds people still fuck up how to make alien invasion stories.

Could of gone to literally any other resource rich planet, but you just had to go to the one inhabited with nuke wielding murder apes.

You wouldn't even have to go to a planet. There are enough resource-rich asteroids in space that can be easily mined, without having to worry about angering the local monkeys.
____
500 years ago, the universe saw an apocalypse that destroyed most spacefaring lifeforms caused by self-replicating machines, the universe went into a dark age until species that weren't advanced enough for the machine-swarm to detect started travelling into space. It is now the 23rd century, the universe is currently at 'peace'. Will this 'peace' last, or will this new universe end up like the last one?

Progress report: yes... maybe... probably

____

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:57 am

Zeloria wrote:
New yugoslavaia wrote:
Could of gone to literally any other resource rich planet, but you just had to go to the one inhabited with nuke wielding murder apes.

You wouldn't even have to go to a planet. There are enough resource-rich asteroids in space that can be easily mined, without having to worry about angering the local monkeys.

I mean, even if you did have to go to the Earth, why would you even bother invading. Why not just shoot it with a missle going at the speed of light, blow up the planet, and then hey presto look at all those resources now completely uncontested!

Which is one I have begun to notice- why is that sci-fi militaries still rely on regular missiles. Couldn't you strap some of those FTL engines on to one of those bad boys? Aim no space wizard flinging that out of the way or any advanced mech tanking that. At all. And it'd be cool af on the screens too.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:02 am

Chan Island wrote:
Zeloria wrote:

I mean, even if you did have to go to the Earth, why would you even bother invading. Why not just shoot it with a missle going at the speed of light, blow up the planet, and then hey presto look at all those resources now completely uncontested!

Which is one I have begun to notice- why is that sci-fi militaries still rely on regular missiles. Couldn't you strap some of those FTL engines on to one of those bad boys? Aim no space wizard flinging that out of the way or any advanced mech tanking that. At all. And it'd be cool af on the screens too.

My psyker rolls a natural 20 and throws your engine back at you.

Also I'd argue that would be a missle.
Last edited by Heloin on Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Qhevak
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 22, 2019
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Qhevak » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:44 am

Chan Island wrote:
Zeloria wrote:

Because if Star Wars used hyperdrives in that sense combat would be visually an incomprensible morass of random explosions from nowhere. There's books that have done that sort of combat well (like the Culture series and A Fire Upon The Deep) but most sci-fi that cares to think about the issue puts practical limitations on their FTL (e.g. not in a strong gravity well, inaccurate, can be jammed) for good reason.
Zeloria wrote:The warrior's, who are either the badguys, or are just rivals to the good guy peaceful humans.

And are somehow a military superpower despite being made up entirely up of sword waving warriors, which tends to not lend very well to an effective military-industrial R&D complex.
Last edited by Qhevak on Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Oortian Community of Qhevak
Distributed association of posthuman Oort cloud space habitats in deep Scutum Centaurus - basically all of these ideologies living together. A Power 5 civilization according to this index. Does not use NS stats. Wiki here.
Aerospace Engineering grad student, currently doing work on smallsat and sounding rocket projects.
Previously Gogol Transcendancy, Ibis Galaxy Alliance.
N&I RP in a shellnut

New yugoslavaia
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New yugoslavaia » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:15 am

Qhevak wrote:
And are somehow a military superpower despite being made up entirely up of sword waving warriors, which tends to not lend very well to an effective military-industrial R&D complex.

Let's be honest. These aren't alien species.

They're fantasy races in outer space.
Yugoslavia's back baby...

How the hell did this happen?
Well...we don't actually know. Just sort of happened one day.
Is it a reunited Yugoslavia in the 21st century? Is a rebel colony world in the far future? Is it a race of cyborg neo-life at war with any assimilating organisms they come across in the far far future? Who knows, who cares?
New Yugoslavia just is.

Immortan Khan
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 17, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Immortan Khan » Wed May 05, 2021 10:28 pm

Madrinpoor wrote:For me, something I see a ton of in Sci-Fi is either the world is so advanced that it has culturally regressed or it is dystopian, which I feel like, in most cases, is just transporting present-day cultures, trends, and ideas into a super futuristic environment. In something like Star Wars, the world feels medieval almost, like it has been taken from history and plugged into a technologically futuristic world. The Jedi are warrior-priests, which IRL kinda died out a hundred years ago, and their whole society — the temples and the ancient sites and shrines and the force and all that just seems dated to me. Even though the world seems futuristic. You see the same thing in Dune, where the whole world feels like an ancient idea in a futuristic setting. I just get that vibe.

If it isn't like that, then it is dystopian. One of my favorite and often overlooked dystopian books is Legend by Marie Lu, even though it is a YA novel the world is so well fleshed out to me. But it doesn't seem that different culturally. There are the same problems. With the same solutions. The setting may be different but the culture just feels the same.

If this is an incoherent rant, I apologize. That's kinda what I do best.

I mean Dune was specifically meant to be futuristic neo-feudalism. It can be interesting to borrow elements from past systems and apply them to future setting to see how technology could work with them or influence their development.
Last edited by Immortan Khan on Wed May 05, 2021 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orthodoxy and Monarchy

Future cyberpunk villain. EO Christian. Purgatorial universalist. Bronze Age warlord grindset.
Pro: Warlordism, harems, Amazonian horse archers, steppebooism
Anti: You

Previous

Return to Arts & Fiction