NATION

PASSWORD

SciFi Worldbuilding Tropes

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Baltenstein
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Baltenstein » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:32 am

Xmara wrote:One that I really hate seeing is that aliens always seem to find us first, and they’re always super advanced. Just once I’d like to see an instance where we find them first and we’re more advanced. Where humanity’s first contact with ET is initiated by us, not them.

If First Contact is established by humans, the aliens will almost universally turn out to be horrible man eating predators/parasites.
O'er the hills and o'er the main.
Through Flanders, Portugal and Spain.
King George commands and we obey.
Over the hills and far away.

THE NORTH REMEMBERS

Crysuko
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Crysuko » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:40 pm

I realise why it's a convention, but I find humanoid aliens being commonplace really played out
Quotes:
Xilonite wrote: cookies are heresy.

Kelinfort wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:A terrorist attack on a disabled center doesn't make a lot of sense, unless to show no one is safe.

This will take some time to figure out, i am afraid.

"No one is safe, not even your most vulnerable and insecure!"

Cesopium wrote:Welp let's hope armies of 10 million don't just roam around and Soviet their way through everything.

Yugoslav Memes wrote:
Victoriala II wrote:Ur mom has value

one week ban for flaming xd

Dumb Ideologies wrote:Much better than the kulak smoothies. Their texture was suspiciously grainy.

Official thread euthanologist
I USE Qs INSTEAD OF Qs

United Communal Burrow Republics
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 23, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby United Communal Burrow Republics » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:42 am

Nazis in Space wrote:
United Communal Burrow Republics wrote:I feel like space battles and how close they look in Sci-fi is a bit of a trope. Space is absolutely massive, and there's literally no reason why ships would ever get close enough to each other for stuff like boarding or ramming to be important. There should be hundreds of km between ships on the same side even most of the time, so them being neck and neck just doesnt make sense unless one side let the other get that close.

And you may ask how this relates to worldbuilding? Well primarily, it leads to cartoonishly unrealistic ship designs with battering rams and battleship like structures that just wouldn't make sense in the long distance environment that is space.

Interestingly, WH40k - the 'Standard' setting for RAMMING TACTICS! with spaceboats specifically designed for it - is also a setting that oftentimes does this right. While it heavily depends on the author (and BFG has to shorten distances by several orders of magnitude as an inevitability of being tabletop), combat ranges in the tens to hundreds of thousands to kilometres are common enough. 'Fighters' are oftentimes boats with multiple decks and a crew of a dozen, which is what they should be. It's a curious mix.

For absurdo-ranges, I also recommend the Cultureverse, which routinely engages over distances of multiple lightyears. For something more reasonable, Perry Rhodan also runs combat ranges in the millions of km. Requires German and fighting through a ridiculous backlog, though. And then there's Forge of God/Anvil of Stars, which usually hammer it out in the hundreds of millions to a couple billion kilometre range.

Anytime someone commends 40k as a positive in space battles I take 5 years off my life expectancy.
Last edited by United Communal Burrow Republics on Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a girl from the United States, and a member of LGBT
My nation's views are partially in line with my own.
NS stats are Non-Canon.
I am Anti-Soviet and Anti-Stalinist, and typically Anti-Marxist. yes I am still far left.
My discord is ElfensFinest#0451, in case you want to like yell at me or chat or something.
THE UCBR, SOVEREIGN HOME OF THE RULZEA, SEEKERS OF EQUALITY FOR ALL.
HAIL THE ALLFATHER

Crysuko
Negotiator

Postby Crysuko » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:53 am

United Communal Burrow Republics wrote:
Nazis in Space wrote:Interestingly, WH40k - the 'Standard' setting for RAMMING TACTICS! with spaceboats specifically designed for it - is also a setting that oftentimes does this right. While it heavily depends on the author (and BFG has to shorten distances by several orders of magnitude as an inevitability of being tabletop), combat ranges in the tens to hundreds of thousands to kilometres are common enough. 'Fighters' are oftentimes boats with multiple decks and a crew of a dozen, which is what they should be. It's a curious mix.

For absurdo-ranges, I also recommend the Cultureverse, which routinely engages over distances of multiple lightyears. For something more reasonable, Perry Rhodan also runs combat ranges in the millions of km. Requires German and fighting through a ridiculous backlog, though. And then there's Forge of God/Anvil of Stars, which usually hammer it out in the hundreds of millions to a couple billion kilometre range.

Anytime someone commends 40k as a positive in space battles I take 5 years off my life expectancy.
/skipme

There’s a cutscene from BFGothic which shows 2 ships basically spitting distance apart plinking away at each other
Quotes:

Kelinfort wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:A terrorist attack on a disabled center doesn't make a lot of sense, unless to show no one is safe.

Cesopium wrote:Welp let's hope armies of 10 million don't just roam around and Soviet their way through everything.

Yugoslav Memes wrote:

Dumb Ideologies wrote:Much better than the kulak smoothies. Their texture was suspiciously grainy.

I USE Qs INSTEAD OF Qs

Destyntine
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Destyntine » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:41 am

One that really bugs me is when there's an alien race that is extremely technologically advanced and yet they act like dummies. How are alien races that are capable of building dreadnaughts and laser weaponry still acting like barbarians. May involve broken speech (grunting and broken English to communicate), territorial violence (caveman attitude), terrible aim, no plan other than 'shoot the enemy', and their forces being gunned down like fodder.
▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄ I do stuff n' thangs.¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

Spaceship go Vroooom!

NS stats are not 100% accurate, but they do represent my nation slightly!
Yeah, I'm sassy! Get over it!

New yugoslavaia
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New yugoslavaia » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:49 am

Destyntine wrote:One that really bugs me is when there's an alien race that is extremely technologically advanced and yet they act like dummies. How are alien races that are capable of building dreadnaughts and laser weaponry still acting like barbarians. May involve broken speech (grunting and broken English to communicate), territorial violence (caveman attitude), terrible aim, no plan other than 'shoot the enemy', and their forces being gunned down like fodder.

Because the good guys need an unsympathetic foe so they can massacre them with no ethical problems.

On another note, a trope that's somewhat annoying is when Earth is always a one world government in the future. Wouldn't it be interesting if it was still split up in the far future while we're colonising space. Not nations per say, but rather a handful of large blocs.
Yugoslavia's back baby...

How the hell did this happen?
Well...we don't actually know. Just sort of happened one day.
Is it a reunited Yugoslavia in the 21st century? Is a rebel colony world in the far future? Is it a race of cyborg neo-life at war with any assimilating organisms they come across in the far far future? Who knows, who cares?
New Yugoslavia just is.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:54 am

If something spins and it has lots of flashing lights and buttons on it then it's important.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Destyntine
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Destyntine » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:00 am

New yugoslavaia wrote:
Destyntine wrote:One that really bugs me is when there's an alien race that is extremely technologically advanced and yet they act like dummies. How are alien races that are capable of building dreadnaughts and laser weaponry still acting like barbarians. May involve broken speech (grunting and broken English to communicate), territorial violence (caveman attitude), terrible aim, no plan other than 'shoot the enemy', and their forces being gunned down like fodder.

Because the good guys need an unsympathetic foe so they can massacre them with no ethical problems.

On another note, a trope that's somewhat annoying is when Earth is always a one world government in the future. Wouldn't it be interesting if it was still split up in the far future while we're colonising space. Not nations per say, but rather a handful of large blocs.

Good point. We always see humanity's point of view in a war but never the point of view from the alien. In the rare cases that we do get to see the alien's point of view, they are practically humanlike in nature anyway.

That is a concept that also came across my mind. If multiple countries on earth are all capable of space travel, who's to say who gets what claims on a planet? I always thought it would be 'first come, first serve' but other nations on earth may be at edge with other nations over land claims in space and might be willing to take them with force. We rarely ever do see any human vs. human conflict in settings that have alien races along with a non-unified earth.
Last edited by Destyntine on Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄ I do stuff n' thangs.¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

Spaceship go Vroooom!

NS stats are not 100% accurate, but they do represent my nation slightly!
Yeah, I'm sassy! Get over it!

Esthe
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 21, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Esthe » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:02 am

Destyntine wrote:
New yugoslavaia wrote:

Good point. We always see humanity's point of view in a war but never the point of view from the alien. In the rare cases that we do get to see the alien's point of view, they are practically humanlike in nature anyway.

That is a concept that also came across my mind. If multiple countries on earth are all capable of space travel, who's to say who gets what claims on a planet? I always thought it would be 'first come, first serve' but other nations on earth may be at edge with other nations over land claims in space and might be willing to take them with force. We rarely ever do see any human vs. human conflict in settings that have alien races along with a non-unified earth.

It’s probably because it would be too confusing for our little minds.
And now my life has changed in oh so many ways
My independence seems to vanish in the haze

New yugoslavaia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New yugoslavaia » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:05 am

Esthe wrote:
Destyntine wrote:

It’s probably because it would be too confusing for our little minds.

Which one?

Is it a reunited Yugoslavia in the 21st century? Is a rebel colony world in the far future? Is it a race of cyborg neo-life at war with any assimilating organisms they come across in the far far future? Who knows, who cares?
New Yugoslavia just is.

New Antarcticania
Minister

Founded: Oct 25, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby New Antarcticania » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:12 pm

Generic space federation #5839374
Bonus points for-
"OH WeRE ThE GoOOD GUYS!"
Some form of corrupt goverment
Former Frozen commie hole somewhere in Antarctica. Now rebranded as an slightly less frozen and less commie hole somewhere in the South Atlantic, we out-navy the Russian Navy (This is less of a brag now. Isn't it?).

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:44 pm

Crysuko wrote:I realise why it's a convention, but I find humanoid aliens being commonplace really played out

Did convergent evolution shape them all by chance,
To fit in Star Fleet’s regulation shoes and pants?
What narcissism makes five-fingered hands
Prerequisites for venturing from native lands?
There’s more richness in a single planet’s zoo
Than the sameness in a Federation crew.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:44 pm

New Antarcticania wrote:Generic space federation #5839374
Bonus points for-

Welcome to our unique space cold war. Star Trek? Never heard of it.

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012

Postby New haven america » Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:27 am

Xmara wrote:One that I really hate seeing is that aliens always seem to find us first, and they’re always super advanced. Just once I’d like to see an instance where we find them first and we’re more advanced. Where humanity’s first contact with ET is initiated by us, not them.

You've never seen Stargate? Or Star Trek?

ST has like, 10 episodes on this subject.
Last edited by New haven america on Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

New yugoslavaia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New yugoslavaia » Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:32 am

Heloin wrote:
New Antarcticania wrote:Generic space federation #5839374
Bonus points for-

Welcome to our unique space cold war. Star Trek? Never heard of it.

God forbid we actually have a cold war in space that isn't just capitalist republic vs communist dictatorship analogs.

New Yugoslavia just is.

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012

Postby New haven america » Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:15 am

New yugoslavaia wrote:
Heloin wrote:Welcome to our unique space cold war. Star Trek? Never heard of it.

God forbid we actually have a cold war in space that isn't just capitalist republic vs communist dictatorship analogs.

Haven't gotten past that point IRL, so...
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Zeloria
Envoy

Founded: Apr 21, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Zeloria » Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:24 am

How about the good old "planets of hats", where all alien species have a certain trait that makes them better at something. Every species has them except humans, and if humans has one, then it will be something like "curiosity".
____
500 years ago, the universe saw an apocalypse that destroyed most spacefaring lifeforms caused by self-replicating machines, the universe went into a dark age until species that weren't advanced enough for the machine-swarm to detect started travelling into space. It is now the 23rd century, the universe is currently at 'peace'. Will this 'peace' last, or will this new universe end up like the last one?

Progress report: yes... maybe... probably

____

Voxija
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 17, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Voxija » Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:27 am

Zeloria wrote:How about the good old "planets of hats", where all alien species have a certain trait that makes them better at something. Every species has them except humans, and if humans has one, then it will be something like "curiosity".

Oftentimes, humanity's hat is something like "diversity" or "not having a hat". Which is the lamest cop-out.
The Republic of Voxija (pronounced: Voshiya)
I'm a woman. Some weird Jew. Trying to learn French and failing. An American who wishes the US would switch to the metric system. Part of a giant conspiracy. Secret pyromaniac? I will never make an OOC factbook!

my politics are confused and muddled
Most of my grammar errors are on purpose. Sppeling errors, tho...
I'd rather be fishing. | Author of Issues 1324 and 1346.
Generic MT liberal democracy Meh. | I think that by now I've created more lore for my nation than most real-world nations have.
Disclaimer: the views of my characters do not necessarily represent the views of the author.

Crysuko
Negotiator

Postby Crysuko » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:23 am

Zeloria wrote:How about the good old "planets of hats", where all alien species have a certain trait that makes them better at something. Every species has them except humans, and if humans has one, then it will be something like "curiosity".

The warrior race
The intellectual race
The spiritual race
The economic race
Quotes:

Kelinfort wrote:

Yugoslav Memes wrote:

I USE Qs INSTEAD OF Qs

New yugoslavaia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New yugoslavaia » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:49 am

Crysuko wrote:

The warrior race
The intellectual race
The spiritual race
The economic race

Warning: The following purchase comes with a 65% chance of invasion by another alien species, with a 45% of them being assimilators. This condition has a fatality chance of 40% unless you're human, in which case there is a 99.9999999% chance you will be able to overcome it at the last second.
Last edited by New yugoslavaia on Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

New Yugoslavia just is.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:01 am

New yugoslavaia wrote:
Crysuko wrote:The warrior race
The intellectual race
The spiritual race
The economic race

Warning: The following purchase comes with a 65% chance of invasion by another alien species, with a 45% of them being assimilators. This condition has a fatality chance of 40% unless you're human, in which case there is a 99.9999999% chance you will be able to overcome it at the last second.

It’s astonishing that 120 years after War of the Worlds people still fuck up how to make alien invasion stories.

Madrinpoor
Minister

Founded: Dec 01, 2020

Postby Madrinpoor » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:02 am

Planet 51. A kids movie but it does that pretty interestingly.
MT City-state off the coast of Japan: Sumo wrestling, tech startups, Shintō mobs, gay marriage, Bōsōzuku, taiko drums, zokusha cars, neon signs, skyscrapers, Yakuza, internet, Christians, teen biker gangs, international treaties, inter-city canals, rooftop gardens, Samurai, Internet Explorer, canned beer, and a Shogun. 2002 C.E.
Yooper High Kingdom wrote:If I could describe Mandrinpoor with one word, it would be this: Slick.
Nevertopia wrote:Madrinpoor? More like madrinWEALTH be upon your family, may your days be happy and your burdens be light.

SupportUkraine!
Cuban-American He/him

Zeloria
Envoy

Founded: Apr 21, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Zeloria » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:12 am

Crysuko wrote:

The warrior race
The intellectual race
The spiritual race
The economic race

The warrior's, who are either the badguys, or are just rivals to the good guy peaceful humans.
The intellectuals, the most smug species in the galaxy. Bonus points if they talk like robots, or are robots.
The spirituals, just as smug, if not more then the intellectuals. They might have psychic powers because apparently they follow the right religion.
The economic race, depiction of them depends on writers opinion of capitalism.
And the precursors, the species that are most likely responsible for the REAL badguys that threatens everyone.
____
500 years ago, the universe saw an apocalypse that destroyed most spacefaring lifeforms caused by self-replicating machines, the universe went into a dark age until species that weren't advanced enough for the machine-swarm to detect started travelling into space. It is now the 23rd century, the universe is currently at 'peace'. Will this 'peace' last, or will this new universe end up like the last one?

Progress report: yes... maybe... probably

____

New yugoslavaia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New yugoslavaia » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:16 am

Heloin wrote:
New yugoslavaia wrote:

It’s astonishing that 120 years after War of the Worlds people still fuck up how to make alien invasion stories.

Could of gone to literally any other resource rich planet, but you just had to go to the one inhabited with nuke wielding murder apes.

New Yugoslavia just is.

Crysuko
Negotiator

Postby Crysuko » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:10 am

New yugoslavaia wrote:
Heloin wrote:It’s astonishing that 120 years after War of the Worlds people still fuck up how to make alien invasion stories.

Could of gone to literally any other resource rich planet, but you just had to go to the one inhabited with nuke wielding murder apes.

is Earth even particularly resource rich. we have silicates and oxides galore, iron, copper, other common elements.
Quotes:

Kelinfort wrote:

Yugoslav Memes wrote:

I USE Qs INSTEAD OF Qs

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction