NATION

PASSWORD

Favorite quote from a book, movie, song, etc.

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.
Nookville
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 29, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Favorite quote from a book, movie, song, etc.

Postby Nookville » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:35 pm

What's your favorite quote from any piece of art, whether it be a book, movie, song, or something else?

I'll start; from I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson

"I love you," I say to him, only it comes out, "Hey."
"So damn much," he says back, only it comes out, "Dude."

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:07 pm

You run and run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking.
Racing around to come up behind you again.
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older.
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

-Pink Floyd Time
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Elvato
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 31, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Elvato » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:50 am

all of the narrators script from LittleBigPlanet 1
Elvato is a CooL Gamer, Skater, NS Player. Lover of Gangster Rap, Founder of SOSIG, Donut Connoisseur. i also like drinking water like all other humanoids ;)

Keira
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Keira » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:15 pm

"You think you're civilised, but you will never understand" — "Barbarian" by Electric Wizard
⠀⠀⠀⠀Federation⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ of ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Keira⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Social Liberalism - Keynesianism - Technoliberalism
Wiki | Map | President | Factbooks

About me | she / they | Liberal & Pragmatic Social Democrat | Prussian Lithuanian in UK | No game stats | Dark theme | ex-DOS
Main: Helvena | Other puppets: Ygria Osttera

Gim
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Gim » Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:41 am

'"Stars Shine in the Dark" - Female Yang Man-Chun
All You Need to Know about Gim
Male, 17, Protestant Christian, British

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:00 pm

“This is life, and years of this wall pass. For this is what it’s meant to be: ‘Shut the doors, shut the doors, shut the doors!’”- Anne Rice, Cry to Heaven
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Western Fardelshufflestein
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 21, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Western Fardelshufflestein » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:02 pm

Gestures toward the entirety of Hamlet.
I have to pick just one?
The Constitutional Monarchy of Western Fardelshufflestein
Always Has Been. | WF's User Be Like | NSG is Budget Twitter | Yo, Kenneth Branagh won an Oscar
Tiny, Shakespeare-obsessed island nation northeast of NZ settled by HRE emigrants who thought they'd landed in the West Indies. F7 Stuff Mostly Not Canon; RP is in real time; Ignore Stats; Still Not Kenneth Branagh. | A L A S T A I R C E P T I O N
The Western Fardelshufflestein Sentinel | 27 November 2022 bUt wHy iS tHE rUm gOnE!?

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:33 pm

Elvato wrote:all of the narrators script from LittleBigPlanet 1

I must agree. The narrator script for that franchise is hilarious.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

TTow
Secretary

Founded: Jun 08, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby TTow » Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:59 am

Love reading quotes and I found cool site here with great quotes from famous people recently. For me it's a great way to get some inspiration. One of my favorite quotes is this one: “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.” – Chinese Proverb
Last edited by TTow on Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

HISPIDA
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 21, 2021
Anarchy

Postby HISPIDA » Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:12 am

It's not necessarily a book, movie, or song, but there are a lot of lines from Cowboy Bebop I really enjoy.

"Look at my eyes, Faye. One of them is a fake because I lost it in an accident. Since then, I’ve been seeing the past in one eye and the present in the other."

"There was a woman. First time I found someone who was truly alive. At least that's what I thought. She was the part of me I lost somewhere along the way. The part that was missing, that I'd been longing for."

"Bang..."

It's also not a book, movie, or song, but there are also some great lines from Final Fantasy VII.

"Cloud... words aren't the only things that tell people what you're thinking."

"Shi't! I've been here since the beginning and I still don't know what the hell's goin' on!"

"Yuffie: Thinkin' of running away? Stay and fight! FIGHT, I said! C'mon...... What's the matter? You're pretty scared of me, huh!?
Cloud: [sarcastically] ......petrified."

"Shut up! The cycle of nature and your stupid plan don't mean a thing! Aerith is gone. Aerith will no longer talk, no longer laugh, cry...... or get angry...... What about us...... what are WE supposed to do? What about my pain? My fingers are tingling. My mouth is dry. My eyes are burning!"
Last edited by HISPIDA on Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Algerstonia did nothing wrong. Hold Moderators accountable. (she/they)
"We have liberated Europe from fascism, and they will never forgive us for it." - Georgy Zhukov (purportedly)
read my iiwiki
free palestine. trans rights are human rights. no war but class war
Victory Day: February 23, 2022

Elzan
Civil Servant

Founded: Aug 16, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Elzan » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:11 am

From the Revenge of the Sith novelization by Matthew Stover

"The dark is generous, and it is patient, and it always wins - but in the heart of its strength lies weakness: one lone candle is enough to hold it back.
Love is more than a candle.
Love can ignite the stars."

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006

Postby Ostroeuropa » Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:07 pm

SPOILERS - Pale

Context: Placing a curse. Curses in the pactverse are extremely literal. Wording is important.

“Nettlewisp, nettlewisp, nettlewisp,” Lucy whispered. She looked at Miss, who wasn’t complaining or stopping her. “I’ve tried being nice, I’ve tried being fair. I’ve tried being even and I’ve tried being clear. If that spying practitioner from outside Kennet keeps giving us the evil eye, staring at us with ill intent and promised omens, repay them three times over in stings and pain. And if it’s Just, if the karmic way is clear, and if the glamour heaped in my hand is enough? Nail their fucking eyelids to their skull.”

The glamour twisted and shifted, gathering in her palm.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Centrist Country
Political Columnist

Founded: Aug 23, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Centrist Country » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:47 pm

"New Super Mario Bros Wii is a tough game, only for the most seasoned platformer veterans"

GameSpot, New Super Mario Bros Wii review (2009). This review is hilarious. It is on YouTube, and i highly recommend you watch it if you have played the game. This video serves as a reminder that GameSpot is horrible at video games.
Last edited by Centrist Country on Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction