NATION

PASSWORD

Cliches in Writing

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Crysuko
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Crysuko » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:08 pm

all you have to do is pull the trigger. push the button. touch the 2 wires together, and the bad guy(s) are defeated and destroyed. but nooooo i'm the lawful good hero and I must now have a crisis of conciense and blue ball our entire audience of a satisfying victory. if you don't want to kill off your antagonist too early, fine but find a better way of doing it than this.
Last edited by Crysuko on Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quotes:
Xilonite wrote: cookies are heresy.

Kelinfort wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:A terrorist attack on a disabled center doesn't make a lot of sense, unless to show no one is safe.

This will take some time to figure out, i am afraid.

"No one is safe, not even your most vulnerable and insecure!"

Cesopium wrote:Welp let's hope armies of 10 million don't just roam around and Soviet their way through everything.

Yugoslav Memes wrote:
Victoriala II wrote:Ur mom has value

one week ban for flaming xd

Dumb Ideologies wrote:Much better than the kulak smoothies. Their texture was suspiciously grainy.

Official thread euthanologist
I USE Qs INSTEAD OF Qs

New yugoslavaia
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New yugoslavaia » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:36 am

Crysuko wrote:all you have to do is pull the trigger. push the button. touch the 2 wires together, and the bad guy(s) are defeated and destroyed. but nooooo i'm the lawful good hero and I must now have a crisis of conciense and blue ball our entire audience of a satisfying victory. if you don't want to kill off your antagonist too early, fine but find a better way of doing it than this.

On the subject, it annoys me when one of good guys takes down an enemy, but even when they’re close they don’t shoot them in head to make sure they’re dead. It almost always ends with said enemy coming back later to mess things up.
Yugoslavia's back baby...

How the hell did this happen?
Well...we don't actually know. Just sort of happened one day.
Is it a reunited Yugoslavia in the 21st century? Is a rebel colony world in the far future? Is it a race of cyborg neo-life at war with any assimilating organisms they come across in the far far future? Who knows, who cares?
New Yugoslavia just is.

Cereskia
Envoy

Founded: Apr 01, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Cereskia » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:38 am

viewtopic.php?t=500190&f=9&view=unread#unread

Sometimes broken english or engrish.
About my Nation:
Overview | History | Geography | Politics | Military |Economy | International

GCRs suck, Epluribus Unum is an Overzealous Americanist, Hitler is Shitler, aaaaąăåäãâáàă
sample text
Overamericanism in the forums!!

Cavirfi
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 28, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Cavirfi » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:42 am

The "not like other girls" or "good girl" trope. Jesus Christ, it's so common, even 'til today, it is just more discreet and subtle
My Storefronts | THE Barn | Set up an Embassy to Cavirfi

CAVIRFI ONE: #BoycottCavirfi movement enters Day 203; CBCC-Cavirfite Wing Strike enters Day 181 | 529 days left until Federal Police inaugurated, Training enters Day 203 | Crabaiaian Electoral Board declares 2023 Federal Election to be held on July 9 for Amine and Imguria and July 16 for the rest of the country | Chano-Cavirfite Sea Storm hits Cavirfi at wind speeds of 54 km/h, causes mild damage; Inauguration of new Great Tribunal, Technocratic Council, and Ministers postponed indefinitely | Average Weather: 20.91℃

AOKI OS
Political Columnist

Founded: Mar 05, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby AOKI OS » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:44 am

I'd say my biggest pet peeve with Cliches in Writing is the Kiss after it all. Bleh. An opposite example, which is my favorite part of the movie (Rogue One) is the Send off of Cassian and Jyn. No kissing, just a hug as they watch the planet is obliterates.

Spoilers?
Last edited by AOKI OS on Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 30, 2020
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:58 am

Western Fardelshufflestein wrote:
Nantoraka wrote:Love triangles.
Swear on God, every poorly written work of fiction will have one love triangle involving the protagonist...usually with the flawless/attractive/superior mary sue protagonist easily winning out every single time.

I hate love triangles.

EDIT:
Revealing metal bikini armor for women. Seriously at least have some class when you're blatantly sexualizing your female characters.
Would it kill to add some pizazz

Ever watched YouTube videos from the channel Terrible Writing Advice? Because that channel makes fun of every single trope in writing, like, EVER--it's what not to do when writing. Haven't watched it in a couple months, but it's hilarious.
Diarcesia wrote:Like a hate on the concept itself? Or hate because it's everywhere?

For me, I hate it because it's everywhere.
I'm also annoyed that, like, every romantic relationship leads to intercourse. WHYYYY??

YES!
bruz

Not affiliated with Dunder-Mifflin Paper Company
or any associated firms

Atheris
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:00 am

AOKI OS wrote:I'd say my biggest pet peeve with Cliches in Writing is the Kiss after it all. Bleh. An opposite example, which is my favorite part of the movie (Rogue One) is the Send off of Cassian and Jyn. No kissing, just a hug as they watch the planet is obliterates.

Spoilers?

Same thing happens in Pacific Rim at the end of the movie. No kiss, just a little head touch. It's so much better that way.
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.
NEW VISAYAN ISLANDS SHOULD RESIGN! HOLD JANNIES ACCOUNTABLE!

New Swaraelia
Attaché

Founded: Jan 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Swaraelia » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:01 am

The tension was unbearable as [main character] and [villain] stood face to face. Neither wished to shoot. Suddenly, [main character] does a hyper super sonic backflip shananabanana trick, knocking [villain] out and saving [country name] forever.
Honoured by Dominant Oppressors to be Honorary Duke of Dominant Oppressors, Honorary Admiral of the Dominant Oppressorian Navy, and Freedom of the City of Risen Christ City. Thank you.

Western Fardelshufflestein
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 21, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Western Fardelshufflestein » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:03 am

New Swaraelia wrote:The tension was unbearable as [main character] and [villain] stood face to face. Neither wished to shoot. Suddenly, [main character] does a hyper super sonic backflip shananabanana trick, knocking [villain] out and saving [country name] forever.

I KNEW YOU COULD DO IT, ALASTAIR!!!

Or when the scrawny, uncoordinated character saves the day and wins the game because everything had to hinge on them to prove they are not so awkward after all.
The Constitutional Monarchy of Western Fardelshufflestein
Always Has Been. | WF's User Be Like | NSG is Budget Twitter | Yo, Kenneth Branagh won an Oscar
Tiny, Shakespeare-obsessed island nation northeast of NZ settled by HRE emigrants who thought they'd landed in the West Indies. F7 Stuff Mostly Not Canon; RP is in real time; Ignore Stats; Still Not Kenneth Branagh. | A L A S T A I R C E P T I O N
The Western Fardelshufflestein Sentinel | 27 November 2022 bUt wHy iS tHE rUm gOnE!?

Atheris
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:24 am

New Swaraelia wrote:The tension was unbearable as [main character] and [villain] stood face to face. Neither wished to shoot. Suddenly, [main character] does a hyper super sonic backflip shananabanana trick, knocking [villain] out and saving [country name] forever.

I KNEW YOU COULD DO IT, ALASTAIR!!!

Or when the scrawny, uncoordinated character saves the day and wins the game because everything had to hinge on them to prove they are not so awkward after all.

...Huh. I never realized I hated that cliché so much. Probably one of the reasons I like Eva so much, because it does the exact opposite of that by going the way of
the scrawny, uncoordinated character ruining the day and killing everyone because he's a genuinely evil human being.
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Western Fardelshufflestein » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:30 am

Atheris wrote:
Western Fardelshufflestein wrote:I KNEW YOU COULD DO IT, ALASTAIR!!!

...Huh. I never realized I hated that cliché so much. Probably one of the reasons I like Eva so much, because it does the exact opposite of that by going the way of
the scrawny, uncoordinated character ruining the day and killing everyone because he's a genuinely evil human being.

N I C E .
Be Eva an Ace Attorney Character?
Always Has Been. | WF's User Be Like | NSG is Budget Twitter | Yo, Kenneth Branagh won an Oscar
Tiny, Shakespeare-obsessed island nation northeast of NZ settled by HRE emigrants who thought they'd landed in the West Indies. F7 Stuff Mostly Not Canon; RP is in real time; Ignore Stats; Still Not Kenneth Branagh. | A L A S T A I R C E P T I O N
The Western Fardelshufflestein Sentinel | 27 November 2022 bUt wHy iS tHE rUm gOnE!?

Atheris
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:40 am

Atheris wrote:...Huh. I never realized I hated that cliché so much. Probably one of the reasons I like Eva so much, because it does the exact opposite of that by going the way of

N I C E .
Be Eva an Ace Attorney Character?

Neon Genesis: Evangelion. It's an anime. A really good one. A really good, trippy, fucked-up one that's full of nonsense.
#FreeNSGRojava

Crysuko
Negotiator

Postby Crysuko » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:21 pm

New yugoslavaia wrote:
Crysuko wrote:all you have to do is pull the trigger. push the button. touch the 2 wires together, and the bad guy(s) are defeated and destroyed. but nooooo i'm the lawful good hero and I must now have a crisis of conciense and blue ball our entire audience of a satisfying victory. if you don't want to kill off your antagonist too early, fine but find a better way of doing it than this.

On the subject, it annoys me when one of good guys takes down an enemy, but even when they’re close they don’t shoot them in head to make sure they’re dead. It almost always ends with said enemy coming back later to mess things up.

yeah i've seen that come back to bite more than a few times. also related is the convention of the hero generally having a schizophrenic interpretation of morality
Quotes:

Kelinfort wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:A terrorist attack on a disabled center doesn't make a lot of sense, unless to show no one is safe.

Cesopium wrote:Welp let's hope armies of 10 million don't just roam around and Soviet their way through everything.

Yugoslav Memes wrote:

Dumb Ideologies wrote:Much better than the kulak smoothies. Their texture was suspiciously grainy.

I USE Qs INSTEAD OF Qs

New yugoslavaia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New yugoslavaia » Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:00 pm

Crysuko wrote:
New yugoslavaia wrote:

yeah i've seen that come back to bite more than a few times. also related is the convention of the hero generally having a schizophrenic interpretation of morality

Elaborate.

Is it a reunited Yugoslavia in the 21st century? Is a rebel colony world in the far future? Is it a race of cyborg neo-life at war with any assimilating organisms they come across in the far far future? Who knows, who cares?
New Yugoslavia just is.

Atheris
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:11 pm

Villain kills a character with a wound that wouldn't even be fatal in real life.

Looking at you, Sephiroth.
#FreeNSGRojava

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:29 pm

Atheris wrote:Villain kills a character with a wound that wouldn't even be fatal in real life.

And then of course there's fictional characters surviving gunshot wounds to the shoulder with no problem.

Shoulders are fragile pieces of machinery, bullets mess up a lot of stuff there and those wounds often cause permanent injuries and regularly death.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

New yugoslavaia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New yugoslavaia » Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:30 pm

Atheris wrote:Villain kills a character with a wound that wouldn't even be fatal in real life.

Or (also on the note of RPGs) characters being killed despite the fact you can heal them or revive them in gameplay.

New Yugoslavia just is.

New yugoslavaia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New yugoslavaia » Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:30 pm

Chan Island wrote:

And then of course there's fictional characters surviving gunshot wounds to the shoulder with no problem.

Shoulders are fragile pieces of machinery, bullets mess up a lot of stuff there and those wounds often cause permanent injuries and regularly death.

I guess same applies to the legs too.

New Yugoslavia just is.

Crysuko
Negotiator

Postby Crysuko » Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:36 pm

New yugoslavaia wrote:
Chan Island wrote:

a shot to the thigh can cause you to bleed out. there's a major artery there
Quotes:

Kelinfort wrote:

Yugoslav Memes wrote:

I USE Qs INSTEAD OF Qs

Xmara
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 31, 2014

Postby Xmara » Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:13 pm

New yugoslavaia wrote:
Chan Island wrote:

Depends on where and with what. Take, for instance that time that my dad accidentally shot himself in the calf with a .22 a few years ago. He narrowly missed hitting a major artery, but he still bled quite a bit. He has some mild nerve damage in that leg now, but it otherwise works the same as before. Also, there was no exit wound and the bullet is still in his leg. He told me that initially he didn't feel anything, but then within about a minute the pain kicked in. That's when he had to lie down on the floor while I called 911 and tended to his wound until the paramedics arrived.

So yeah. On rare occasions you can get shot and not end up with any major damage. But more often than not, you're gonna have permanent injuries (assuming you survive).
/ˈzmaːrʌ/
Info
Our Leader
Status- Code Green- All clear
I mostly use NS stats, except for population and tax rates.
We are not Estonia.
A 16.8 civilization, according to this index.
Flag Waver

Support
Ukraine

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Western Fardelshufflestein » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:17 pm

Xmara wrote:
New yugoslavaia wrote:

Depends on where and with what. Take, for instance that time that my dad accidentally shot himself in the calf with a .22 a few years ago. He narrowly missed hitting a major artery, but he still bled quite a bit. He has some mild nerve damage in that leg now, but it otherwise works the same as before. Also, there was no exit wound and the bullet is still in his leg. He told me that initially he didn't feel anything, but then within about a minute the pain kicked in. That's when he had to lie down on the floor while I called 911 and tended to his wound until the paramedics arrived.

So yeah. On rare occasions you can get shot and not end up with any major damage. But more often than not, you're gonna have permanent injuries (assuming you survive).

!!!!!!

On the Cliche:
The getting-shot-in-the-shoulder trope is so overdone.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:55 pm

A website autogenerated a story for me:

Frederick Mayer looked at the worn candlestick in his hands and felt tense.

He walked over to the window and reflected on his upcoming surroundings. He had always hated grotty Papakura with its curly, cold culverts. It was a place that encouraged his tendency to feel tense.

Then he saw something in the distance, or rather someone. It was the figure of Annabelle Dorian. Annabelle was a thoughtless lover with beautiful stomach and brunette hands.

Frederick gulped. He glanced at his own reflection. He was an arrogant, dominant, port drinker with wiry stomach and weathered hands. His friends saw him as an evil, excited emperor. Once, he had even brought a fresh elderly dog back from the brink of death.

But not even an arrogant person who had once brought a fresh elderly dog back from the brink of death, was prepared for what Annabelle had in store today.

The overcast teased like mourning dogs, making Frederick anxious.

As Frederick stepped outside and Annabelle came closer, he could see the eggy glint in her eye.

"Look Frederick," growled Annabelle, with a selfless glare that reminded Frederick of thoughtless gulls. "It's not that I don't love you, but I want A baby. You owe me 2105 dollars."

Frederick looked back, even more anxious and still fingering the worn candlestick. "Annabelle, this is my life," he replied.

They looked at each other with worried feelings, like two scattered, strange sparrows discovering at a very generous funeral, which had choral music playing in the background and two spiteful uncles running to the beat.

Suddenly, Annabelle lunged forward and tried to punch Frederick in the face. Quickly, Frederick grabbed the worn candlestick and brought it down on Annabelle's skull.

Annabelle's beautiful stomach trembled and her brunette hands wobbled. She looked agitated, her wallet raw like a red, raw ring.

Then she let out an agonising groan and collapsed onto the ground. Moments later Annabelle Dorian was dead.

Frederick Mayer went back inside and made himself a nice glass of port.

Observe the completely unforeshadowed plot twist cliche, the overly moody and violent protagonist cliche and also the financial troubles causing relationship issues related to a baby cliche. (Admittedly, the latter two cliches were sort of where the input options I gave the site were likely to end up.)

However, notice that we avoided the "serious injury does no meaningful damage" cliche.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Miku the Based
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 03, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Miku the Based » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:59 pm

When words turn into paragraphs and paragraphs turn into chapters and at the end you realize there is no point to it.
January 8th, 2021 - I vow not to respond to anyone OOCIC/OOC I'm 100% serious
Do not ask me my opinion of LGBT. the mods don't approve.
Yes, I'm Homophobic, Transphobic etc. not stop incessantly responding to me and then have the audacity to claim I am the one "trolling". If I don't respond to you most likely I'm on your foe list. If one is hypersensitive I recommend putting me on your foe list
Socialism Cockshottian Economic Pan-aftrica DPRK Hamas Belarus CCP Kazakhstan Maxim Gorky National Bolshevikism jim profit free thought and expression thereof | Susan Sontag Critical Theory New-Left Cub/Ven. Socialism Smashie Drugs USculture NPA Corrupt Moderator Unruley Moderators anglos thought crimes/police

Crysuko
Negotiator

Postby Crysuko » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:02 pm

Miku the Based wrote:When words turn into paragraphs and paragraphs turn into chapters and at the end you realize there is no point to it.

can you elaborate on this
Quotes:

Kelinfort wrote:

Yugoslav Memes wrote:

I USE Qs INSTEAD OF Qs

Voxija
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 17, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Voxija » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:24 am

Two cliches for the price of one!

The first is when the adults can't do anything while the kids solve the problem. It's like when you turn 18, your competence magically disappears.

A kid is the target of homophobic bullying for stupid reasons. The kid turns out to be gay anyway, as if a bunch of dumb bullies can predict their victim's sexuality. I don't know how to describe this trope without seeming homophobic.
The Republic of Voxija (pronounced: Voshiya)
I'm a woman. Some weird Jew. Trying to learn French and failing. An American who wishes the US would switch to the metric system. Part of a giant conspiracy. Secret pyromaniac? I will never make an OOC factbook!

my politics are confused and muddled
Most of my grammar errors are on purpose. Sppeling errors, tho...
I'd rather be fishing. | Author of Issues 1324 and 1346.
Generic MT liberal democracy Meh. | I think that by now I've created more lore for my nation than most real-world nations have.
Disclaimer: the views of my characters do not necessarily represent the views of the author.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction