NATION

PASSWORD

Cliches in Writing

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Crysuko
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Crysuko » Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:20 pm

Female armour in fantasy being stupidly revealing. it was old in the 90s. nowadays, it's just embarressing.
Quotes:
Xilonite wrote: cookies are heresy.

Kelinfort wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:A terrorist attack on a disabled center doesn't make a lot of sense, unless to show no one is safe.

This will take some time to figure out, i am afraid.

"No one is safe, not even your most vulnerable and insecure!"

Cesopium wrote:Welp let's hope armies of 10 million don't just roam around and Soviet their way through everything.

Yugoslav Memes wrote:
Victoriala II wrote:Ur mom has value

one week ban for flaming xd

Dumb Ideologies wrote:Much better than the kulak smoothies. Their texture was suspiciously grainy.

Official thread euthanologist
I USE Qs INSTEAD OF Qs

A m e n r i a
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 08, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby A m e n r i a » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:31 pm

Crysuko wrote:
A m e n r i a wrote:I absolutely loathe dumb protagonists in creepypastas, especially in the rules subgenre. Ffs it's never, EVER a prank. It's never your imagination either. Just get your shite together and follow the damn rules.

not familiar with creepypastas, but what exactly does "rules" consist of?

Usually yhe protagonist gets a new job that has few requirements but high salary, his first day on the job he gets a set of rules to follow. The rules have something to do with whatever monster/ghost/demon/entity is involved with the facility.
The Empire of Amenria (亚洲帝国)
Sinocentric Asian theocratic absolute monarchy. Set 28 years in the future. On-site factbooks are no longer canon. A 13.14 civilization, according to this index.
Your guide to Amenria, organized for your convenience

Diarcesia
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 21, 2016
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Diarcesia » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:34 pm

Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts wrote:Movies and books that fall into the genre of 'Grimdark': stories that are dark, edgy and gritty for the sheer hell of it with no other reason than following trends.

Symptoms that your narrative is a casualty of Grimdark include:
- A washed-out, dark colour palette of dirty greys and blacks
- Gruff heroes with no moral compass
- Killing off characters every five minutes.
- Drowning the audience in so much depressing schlock that they don't care anymore.

This i.e. grimderp

Western Fardelshufflestein
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 21, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Western Fardelshufflestein » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:37 pm

The Remote Islands wrote:Grammar. Man, that's used everywhere.

:rofl:
Crysuko wrote:Female armour in fantasy being stupidly revealing. it was old in the 90s. nowadays, it's just embarressing.

It's so...unnecessary. And the armor wouldn't do anything because it's so revealing!
The Constitutional Monarchy of Western Fardelshufflestein
Always Has Been. | WF's User Be Like | NSG is Budget Twitter | Yo, Kenneth Branagh won an Oscar
Tiny, Shakespeare-obsessed island nation northeast of NZ settled by HRE emigrants who thought they'd landed in the West Indies. F7 Stuff Mostly Not Canon; RP is in real time; Ignore Stats; Still Not Kenneth Branagh. | A L A S T A I R C E P T I O N
The Western Fardelshufflestein Sentinel | 27 November 2022 bUt wHy iS tHE rUm gOnE!?

Diarcesia
Negotiator

Postby Diarcesia » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:40 pm

Western Fardelshufflestein wrote:
The Remote Islands wrote:Grammar. Man, that's used everywhere.

:rofl:
Crysuko wrote:Female armour in fantasy being stupidly revealing. it was old in the 90s. nowadays, it's just embarressing.

It's so...unnecessary. And the armor wouldn't do anything because it's so revealing!

Did you sleep when they explained they were made of invisible material? :lol:

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:31 am

Diarcesia wrote:
Western Fardelshufflestein wrote: :rofl:

Did you sleep when they explained they were made of invisible material? :lol:

No, in fact that always kept me up whenever I saw it. If you have invisible material why would you waste it on armour? That doesn't even make the warrior invisible! Such a durable, flexible and extraordinary material could have many great boons across a range of sectors....

Speaking of which, I get so frustrated when the logic of items in a world is just patently ignored. Like how castles in fantasy books are never designed around the fact that wizards or dragons exist. Or how the Harry Potter universe doesn't have a huge black market for like half the shit they pull out and then never use again.

Bottom line is, an extraordinary thing either needs an extraordinary explanation... or the world has to be changed to reflect that thing's existence.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Diarcesia
Negotiator

Postby Diarcesia » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:18 pm

Chan Island wrote:
Diarcesia wrote:Did you sleep when they explained they were made of invisible material? :lol:

No, in fact that always kept me up whenever I saw it. If you have invisible material why would you waste it on armour? That doesn't even make the warrior invisible! Such a durable, flexible and extraordinary material could have many great boons across a range of sectors....

Speaking of which, I get so frustrated when the logic of items in a world is just patently ignored. Like how castles in fantasy books are never designed around the fact that wizards or dragons exist. Or how the Harry Potter universe doesn't have a huge black market for like half the shit they pull out and then never use again.

Bottom line is, an extraordinary thing either needs an extraordinary explanation... or the world has to be changed to reflect that thing's existence.

Is there like a setting where you have medieval tech but have 19th-20th century style fortifications because of dragons serving as the air forces of that setting? Imagine sailing dragon carriers :lol:

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Western Fardelshufflestein » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:24 pm

Diarcesia wrote:
Chan Island wrote:

Is there like a setting where you have medieval tech but have 19th-20th century style fortifications because of dragons serving as the air forces of that setting? Imagine sailing dragon carriers :lol:

SOMEONE TURN THIS INTO A BOOK SO I CAN READ IT AND LOVE IT.
Always Has Been. | WF's User Be Like | NSG is Budget Twitter | Yo, Kenneth Branagh won an Oscar
Tiny, Shakespeare-obsessed island nation northeast of NZ settled by HRE emigrants who thought they'd landed in the West Indies. F7 Stuff Mostly Not Canon; RP is in real time; Ignore Stats; Still Not Kenneth Branagh. | A L A S T A I R C E P T I O N
The Western Fardelshufflestein Sentinel | 27 November 2022 bUt wHy iS tHE rUm gOnE!?

Aeritai
Minister

Founded: Oct 25, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Aeritai » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:36 pm

Hallmark Christmas Movies

Half the movies have the same cliches and plotline over and over again.

Rich white girl from the big city goes to a small town to set up a mega store or something. White girl meets a very handsome white guy and falls in love with him even though she already has a boyfriend back in the city. The girl and the guy get married and they save Christmas some how.
Just call me Aeri
IC: This is a fantasy medieval nation full of deer people... Yes you read that right, deer people
I am a Human Female

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Western Fardelshufflestein » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:43 pm

Aeritai wrote:Hallmark Christmas Movies

Rich white girl from the big city goes to a small town to set up a mega store or something. White girl meets a very handsome white guy and falls in love with him even though she already has a boyfriend back in the city. The girl and the guy get married and they save Christmas some how.

Yes...they're all the same, but I'll watch 'em anyway.

New yugoslavaia
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New yugoslavaia » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:45 pm

Western Fardelshufflestein wrote:
Diarcesia wrote:Is there like a setting where you have medieval tech but have 19th-20th century style fortifications because of dragons serving as the air forces of that setting? Imagine sailing dragon carriers :lol:

SOMEONE TURN THIS INTO A BOOK SO I CAN READ IT AND LOVE IT.

That does seem pretty awesome.
Yugoslavia's back baby...

How the hell did this happen?
Well...we don't actually know. Just sort of happened one day.
Is it a reunited Yugoslavia in the 21st century? Is a rebel colony world in the far future? Is it a race of cyborg neo-life at war with any assimilating organisms they come across in the far far future? Who knows, who cares?
New Yugoslavia just is.

Crysuko
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 26, 2013

Postby Crysuko » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:12 pm

New yugoslavaia wrote:
Western Fardelshufflestein wrote:SOMEONE TURN THIS INTO A BOOK SO I CAN READ IT AND LOVE IT.

That does seem pretty awesome.

I think this may work with a steampunk-fantasy type aesthetic. ironclad dragon carriers.
Quotes:
Xilonite wrote: cookies are heresy.

Kelinfort wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:A terrorist attack on a disabled center doesn't make a lot of sense, unless to show no one is safe.

This will take some time to figure out, i am afraid.

"No one is safe, not even your most vulnerable and insecure!"

Cesopium wrote:Welp let's hope armies of 10 million don't just roam around and Soviet their way through everything.

Yugoslav Memes wrote:
Victoriala II wrote:Ur mom has value

one week ban for flaming xd

Dumb Ideologies wrote:Much better than the kulak smoothies. Their texture was suspiciously grainy.

Official thread euthanologist
I USE Qs INSTEAD OF Qs

Xmara
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 31, 2014

Postby Xmara » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:01 pm

Aeritai wrote:Hallmark Christmas Movies

You're forgetting:

The small town has some sort of obsession with Christmas. Like the whole town is completely decked out in Christmas decor. It's like straight out of a magazine or something.

The handsome white guy is a single dad (usually because his wife died). The child almost immediately befriends the rich white girl. The child has zero problems adjusting to the prospect of a new mom, and they and their dad almost seem to forget all about the deceased mom.

There's always some quirky old person for some reason. They only seem to be there for comic relief. Usually they are a relative of the handsome white guy.
/ˈzmaːrʌ/
Info
Our Leader
Status- Code Green- All clear
I mostly use NS stats, except for population and tax rates.
We are not Estonia.
A 16.8 civilization, according to this index.
Flag Waver

Support
Ukraine

Xmara
Negotiator

Postby Xmara » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:08 pm

Ah, yes. The metal bikini. Defeat your opponents via the power of seduction. :roll:

I'm glad to see that it's becoming less and less popular. Or at least it seems to be. About time fantasy writers learn that women have internal organs too.
/ˈzmaːrʌ/
Info
Our Leader
We are not Estonia.
Flag Waver

Support
Ukraine

Nantoraka
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 19, 2017
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Nantoraka » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:12 pm

Love triangles.
Swear on God, every poorly written work of fiction will have one love triangle involving the protagonist...usually with the flawless/attractive/superior mary sue protagonist easily winning out every single time.

I hate love triangles.

EDIT:
Revealing metal bikini armor for women. Seriously at least have some class when you're blatantly sexualizing your female characters.
Would it kill to add some pizazz
Last edited by Nantoraka on Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Turlesz
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Turlesz » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:13 pm

"I'm to good to murder the main villain" After killing entire legions of faceless grunts.

Xmara
Negotiator

Postby Xmara » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:14 pm

Nantoraka wrote:Love triangles.
Swear on God, every poorly written work of fiction will have one love triangle involving the protagonist...usually with the flawless/attractive/superior mary sue protagonist easily winning out every single time.

I hate love triangles.

I hate romance in fiction in general
/ˈzmaːrʌ/
Info
Our Leader
We are not Estonia.
Flag Waver

Support
Ukraine

Nantoraka
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 19, 2017
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Nantoraka » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:18 pm

The Turlesz wrote:"I'm to good to murder the main villain" After killing entire legions of faceless grunts.

Luke you literally chopped off Vader's hand and killed nearly 370,000 people in the course of 3 movies.

Good thing you didn't kill Vader in the last movie though.
You turn to the Dark Side if you kill a main character.

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 27, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Stellar Colonies » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:35 pm

Xmara wrote:

I hate love triangles.

^
^
^
^
^
Floofybit wrote:Your desired society should be one where you are submissive and controlled
Primitive Communism wrote:What bodily autonomy do men need?
Techocracy101010 wrote:If she goes on a rampage those saggy wonders are as deadly as nunchucks
Parmistan wrote:It's not ALWAYS acceptable when we do it, but it's MORE acceptable when we do it.
Theodorable wrote:Jihad will win.
Distruzio wrote:All marriage outside the Church is gay marriage.
Khardsland wrote:Terrorism in its original definition is a good thing.
I try to be objective, but I do have some biases.

North Californian.
Stellar Colonies is a loose galactic confederacy.

The Confederacy & the WA.

Add 1200 years.

Diarcesia
Negotiator

Postby Diarcesia » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:49 pm

Xmara wrote:

I hate love triangles.

Like a hate on the concept itself? Or hate because it's everywhere?

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Western Fardelshufflestein » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:52 pm

I hate love triangles.

EDIT:
Revealing metal bikini armor for women. Seriously at least have some class when you're blatantly sexualizing your female characters.
Would it kill to add some pizazz

Ever watched YouTube videos from the channel Terrible Writing Advice? Because that channel makes fun of every single trope in writing, like, EVER--it's what not to do when writing. Haven't watched it in a couple months, but it's hilarious.
Diarcesia wrote:Like a hate on the concept itself? Or hate because it's everywhere?

For me, I hate it because it's everywhere.
I'm also annoyed that, like, every romantic relationship leads to intercourse. WHYYYY??

Xmara
Negotiator

Postby Xmara » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:30 pm

Diarcesia wrote:
Xmara wrote:I hate romance in fiction in general

Mostly because it’s everywhere. But I also hate that society treats romantic relationships as being far more important than platonic relationships, and that if two people are very close, then it obviously must be something more than just friendship. Apparently two people can’t care deeply for one another without it leading to romance or intimacy.
/ˈzmaːrʌ/
Info
Our Leader
We are not Estonia.
Flag Waver

Support
Ukraine

Atheris
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:33 pm

Xmara wrote:

I hate love triangles.

Except when it's my OTP.

But yeah, I hate it too. It's fucking everywhere and oversaturated and I hate it.
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.
NEW VISAYAN ISLANDS SHOULD RESIGN! HOLD JANNIES ACCOUNTABLE!

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 27, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Stellar Colonies » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:34 pm

Diarcesia wrote:
Xmara wrote:I hate romance in fiction in general

It is coarse and rough and irritating, and gets everywhere.
Last edited by Stellar Colonies on Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Floofybit wrote:Your desired society should be one where you are submissive and controlled
Primitive Communism wrote:What bodily autonomy do men need?
Techocracy101010 wrote:If she goes on a rampage those saggy wonders are as deadly as nunchucks
Parmistan wrote:It's not ALWAYS acceptable when we do it, but it's MORE acceptable when we do it.
Theodorable wrote:Jihad will win.
Distruzio wrote:All marriage outside the Church is gay marriage.
Khardsland wrote:Terrorism in its original definition is a good thing.
I try to be objective, but I do have some biases.

North Californian.
Stellar Colonies is a loose galactic confederacy.

The Confederacy & the WA.

Add 1200 years.

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Western Fardelshufflestein » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:06 pm

Stellar Colonies wrote:
Diarcesia wrote:Like a hate on the concept itself? Or hate because it's everywhere?

It is coarse and rough and irritating, and gets everywhere.

Sex scenes in fiction be like

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction