NATION

PASSWORD

Making Custom Maps?

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.
Ventuset
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Making Custom Maps?

Postby Ventuset » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:16 am

I'm just recently ending my NationStates Hiatus, and I want to make a map for my country. I know there are fantasy map tools, but I personally would prefer a google-maps or terrain-centered style. Do you guys know of any websites or applications I can do this in?

South Cayriya
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby South Cayriya » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:17 am

Ventuset wrote:I'm just recently ending my NationStates Hiatus, and I want to make a map for my country. I know there are fantasy map tools, but I personally would prefer a google-maps or terrain-centered style. Do you guys know of any websites or applications I can do this in?

i think theres a map request forum somewhere...
FIGHT FOR FREEDOM STAND WITH HONG KONG

also plz stand in silence for Chow Tsz-Lok thank you
Member of SETA, Member of the ISC
Hong Kong Protesters, Thai Protesters, Milk Tea Alliance, and Milk Tea
Hong Kong Mob Beatings, Hong Kong Police Force, Beijing China, Fake Milk Tea
click here plz
ABOUT MOI
"History will tell you even if [Hong Kongers] did fail, they did put up a good fight, they didn't just take it lying down" -Author Unknown "It's their future, it's their Hong Kong, they have every right to fight for it" -Author Unknown

Romextly
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Romextly » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:24 pm

Ventuset wrote:I'm just recently ending my NationStates Hiatus, and I want to make a map for my country. I know there are fantasy map tools, but I personally would prefer a google-maps or terrain-centered style. Do you guys know of any websites or applications I can do this in?

Scribble maps?

Ventuset
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Ventuset » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:33 pm

Romextly wrote:

Scribble maps?

But as in, a non-real world setting. Made up maps, imaginary. I believe only scribble maps supports real world maps.

Panther
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 27, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Panther » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:54 pm

I recently made this map using a combination of Inkscape and existing maps.

Here's the rather clumsy process I used:

I scoured this database for very high quality maps:
https://www.davidrumsey.com/
It's honestly quite amazing, and I only barely dipped below the surface.

Then, I located various landmasses and coasts I wanted, and painstakingly traced the coastlines onto my page for the map. When finished with each map, just delete, and then "Fill" the lines to create an interior. Rinse and Repeat, until satisfied. There's also a "Layer" function which can allow things like river systems and road networks, if you so desire.

Also, a regionmate pointed me to this resource, though I never really fully figured it out:

https://azgaar.github.io/Fantasy-Map-Generator/

Danternoust
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 20, 2019
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Danternoust » Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:18 pm

I would draw a jagged map, smoothen out random edges, inspired by terrain on a globe, and continue to make various parts more curvy or jagged, and eventually I would have a plausible looking fictional world.

Return to Arts & Fiction