NATION

PASSWORD

Star Wars: This is The Way

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Opinion on Obi Wan Kenobi?

Love It
13
23%
Like It
23
40%
It Is Okay
9
16%
Dislike It
7
12%
Hate It
5
9%
 
Total votes : 57

User avatar
The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 56521
Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:21 am

Pasong Tirad wrote:Idk if we can talk about other Star Wars content here but I just finished playing Jedi: Fallen Order and I really liked it. Thinking of getting the Free Kashyyyk symbol (the one with the shyyyo bird) tattooed on me. Can't wait for Jedi: Survivor to come out next year.

Course its fine to talk about it here, its a Star Wars game afterall :p

I originally had no interest in Fallen Order, none of the trailers really did anything for me but i decided on a whim to buy it when it came out and had a ton of fun with it. Glad i bought it, it was a pretty solid game.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Alliance Party / Leftwinger / Atheist
Miniature Painting, Cheese, Curry, Tanks and English Gals are my Kryptonite


I never thought in terms of being a leader. I thought very simply in terms of helping people’ - John Hume



User avatar
Imperial Rifta
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1469
Founded: Sep 15, 2020
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Imperial Rifta » Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:03 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:
Pasong Tirad wrote:Idk if we can talk about other Star Wars content here but I just finished playing Jedi: Fallen Order and I really liked it. Thinking of getting the Free Kashyyyk symbol (the one with the shyyyo bird) tattooed on me. Can't wait for Jedi: Survivor to come out next year.

Course its fine to talk about it here, its a Star Wars game afterall :p

I originally had no interest in Fallen Order, none of the trailers really did anything for me but i decided on a whim to buy it when it came out and had a ton of fun with it. Glad i bought it, it was a pretty solid game.

I watched parts of the play through on YouTube and enjoyed it. It’s still up in the air for me to get.
Low quality posts from 2020-2022 - RIP Technoblade

Join The Iron Alliance

Join us or face our orbital bombardment

User avatar
Twilight Imperium
Minister
 
Posts: 2694
Founded: May 19, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Twilight Imperium » Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:26 am

Imperial Rifta wrote:I watched parts of the play through on YouTube and enjoyed it. It’s still up in the air for me to get.


Would you rather watch someone swing a lightsaber around or do it yourself? Cmon now! :D

User avatar
Pasong Tirad
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11368
Founded: May 31, 2007
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Pasong Tirad » Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:36 am

Finished the entire game in ~30 hours. If you've got the funds, now would be the best time to buy it as it's on sale on Steam

User avatar
Bralia
Post Czar
 
Posts: 30962
Founded: Mar 07, 2010
Democratic Socialists

Postby Bralia » Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:06 am

I don't think I've seen such a genuine expression of entertainment from a dark sider user as much as when Vader was "fighting" the Third Sister. She was so far beneath him it wasn't even funny. He was having fun with his toy.

It's so ridiculous to see this after Vader literally stopped a freighter mid-flight and tear it apart, like, that's some Starkiller kind of power right there. Has there even been such a powerful display of the Force like that in live action before? I was genuinely shocked and impressed to see that, I feel like the power of the Force is so muted in the movies and shows compared to what we get in games.
Last edited by Bralia on Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Romantic slut. Self-deprecating egotist. Benevolent communist.

User avatar
Bralia
Post Czar
 
Posts: 30962
Founded: Mar 07, 2010
Democratic Socialists

Postby Bralia » Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:09 am

So yeah, the Third SIster definitely sucked ass. But I don't blame the actress much at all, she actually did a fine job in the final 2 episodes. The problem is that the story designers gave her so much screentime without giving us any reason to care about her. She literally became instantaneously better when her motivations and justifications became clear in episode 5. Throwing characters at the screen is why the sequels failed and why Disney will continue to criticized until they learn how to develop characters properly.
Romantic slut. Self-deprecating egotist. Benevolent communist.

User avatar
Christian Confederation
Senator
 
Posts: 3665
Founded: Dec 12, 2018
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Christian Confederation » Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:33 pm

Bralia wrote:So yeah, the Third SIster definitely sucked ass. But I don't blame the actress much at all, she actually did a fine job in the final 2 episodes. The problem is that the story designers gave her so much screentime without giving us any reason to care about her. She literally became instantaneously better when her motivations and justifications became clear in episode 5. Throwing characters at the screen is why the sequels failed and why Disney will continue to criticized until they learn how to develop characters properly.

Replace her with the Grand Inquisitor and remove the redemption and we would have been better off
Founder of the moderate alliance
Open to new members, and embassy's.
My telagram box is always open for productive conversation.
IRL political views center right/ right.

User avatar
Imperial Rifta
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1469
Founded: Sep 15, 2020
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Imperial Rifta » Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:51 pm

Twilight Imperium wrote:
Imperial Rifta wrote:I watched parts of the play through on YouTube and enjoyed it. It’s still up in the air for me to get.


Would you rather watch someone swing a lightsaber around or do it yourself? Cmon now! :D

I just had to make sure it was worth it. See what the gameplay was like.
Low quality posts from 2020-2022 - RIP Technoblade

Join The Iron Alliance

Join us or face our orbital bombardment

User avatar
Des-Bal
Post Czar
 
Posts: 31161
Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Des-Bal » Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:53 am

I guessed almost every plot point of Obi-Wan Kenobi solely by looking at the races and genders of people involved. It is becoming easier and easier to do this. Worry about diversity after the scripts written.
Last edited by Des-Bal on Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.
Desired perception: Logical, intellectual
Public perception: Neutral-positive - blunt, cold, logical, skilled at debating
Mindset: Logos

User avatar
HC Eredivisie
Senator
 
Posts: 3681
Founded: Antiquity
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby HC Eredivisie » Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:57 am

The Black Forrest wrote:Curiosity question.

For those who liked Obi-Wan; what was your introduction to Star Wars?

Either this thread or Rebels, I've seen the OT on TV back in the days but I was more into ST at that time.

Tarsonis wrote:
Kiddian States wrote:Well, if you watched RotS, you’ll see that Kenobi and Organa were very close

Also, Leia only knows Obi-Wan as Ben (which is why she reacts so much when she hears his name in the OT). A little bit of a stretch, sure, but helps to fill in that plothole


I don't think the message needs any explaining at all. Remember that she's not just taking the plans back Md asking Ben for help, she's also trying to recruit Obi-Wan into the fight on behalf of Bail. It makes sense that she would call him General instead of Ben. "Ben you helped me that one time", isn't quite the call for enlistment as "General, the fight continues, we need you to take up arms again"

And she probably talked with her dad about Ben afterwards, who he was and how he knew Bail and was told about him and the Clone Wars. That would be more persuasive to Kenobi than the few days he spend rescuing Leia.

Des-Bal wrote:I guessed almost every plot point of Obi-Wan Kenobi solely by looking at the races and genders of people involved. It is becoming easier and easier to do this. Worry about diversity after the scripts written.
The main antagonist is already black and disabled.
Hail Richard, Chief Warlock of the Brothers of Darkness, Lord of the Thirteen Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead and the mayor of a little village up the coast.
+7656 posts, Joined 16 april 2003

Het Vijfde Nederlandse Topic met 1461 stemmen, 8070 posts en 144.700 views.
25-01-2005 - 08-06-2009

User avatar
Christian Confederation
Senator
 
Posts: 3665
Founded: Dec 12, 2018
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Christian Confederation » Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:43 pm

Des-Bal wrote:I guessed almost every plot point of Obi-Wan Kenobi solely by looking at the races and genders of people involved. It is becoming easier and easier to do this. Worry about diversity after the scripts written.

Or just don't worry about it at all. If the story makes it happen great, of not great. If the movie is about storming the beaches of Normandy it doesn't need a Gay Black woman lead. If it's a movie about feudal England it doesn't make sense for a woman of middle eastern decent being the lead.
It's like the Original vs Netflix Adaptation meme. If the original is about some guy in the 1870s on a farm in Idaho they would replace the 20 something white guy with a crippled gay Native American Man, and replace the Redheaded Irish Wife with a bisexual African American woman.
At this point it's so predictable it's not even funny. I'm honestly genuinely surprised and happy when a good movie comes out.
Founder of the moderate alliance
Open to new members, and embassy's.
My telagram box is always open for productive conversation.
IRL political views center right/ right.

User avatar
The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 51807
Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:31 am

Bralia wrote:So yeah, the Third SIster definitely sucked ass. But I don't blame the actress much at all, she actually did a fine job in the final 2 episodes. The problem is that the story designers gave her so much screentime without giving us any reason to care about her. She literally became instantaneously better when her motivations and justifications became clear in episode 5. Throwing characters at the screen is why the sequels failed and why Disney will continue to criticized until they learn how to develop characters properly.


Actually you can also blame the actress. She felt she didn’t have to research or prepare for the role of an established character.

The banshee scream really killed scenes….anyway…..
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

User avatar
Cannot think of a name
Post Czar
 
Posts: 38424
Founded: Antiquity
New York Times Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:39 am

Christian Confederation wrote: If it's a movie about feudal England it doesn't make sense for a woman of middle eastern decent being the lead.

It turns out you believe that because of the whitewashing of history by movies depicting the time when in reality they were diverse. Casting all white actors has been the less realistic portrayal.
"The thing to remember with the original Londoners is that they were not born here. Every first-generation Londoner was from somewhere else - whether it was somewhere else in Britain, somewhere else on the continent, somewhere else in the Mediterranean, somewhere else from Africa," she said.


Further reading
But the truth is, these Middle Ages are not the Middle Ages. The whites-only Middle Ages is vastly different from the medieval world that many scholars would recognize. And according to a study I conducted in 2008-2009, young people in the US and UK think of the Middle Ages as existing only in England, Britain, or Western Europe. Some even instinctively have trouble seeing medieval Muslims as “civilized,” even in the face of contradictory evidence such as the many advances in science and technology in the medieval Muslim world. But scholars know that the medieval world was not limited only to England or Western Europe. And even if it were limited to only Western Europe, it would still feature the stories of a number of people of color.
Last edited by Cannot think of a name on Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

User avatar
Christian Confederation
Senator
 
Posts: 3665
Founded: Dec 12, 2018
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Christian Confederation » Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:41 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Christian Confederation wrote: If it's a movie about feudal England it doesn't make sense for a woman of middle eastern decent being the lead.

It turns out you believe that because of the whitewashing of history by movies depicting the time when in reality they were diverse. Casting all white actors has been the less realistic portrayal.
"The thing to remember with the original Londoners is that they were not born here. Every first-generation Londoner was from somewhere else - whether it was somewhere else in Britain, somewhere else on the continent, somewhere else in the Mediterranean, somewhere else from Africa," she said.


Further reading
But the truth is, these Middle Ages are not the Middle Ages. The whites-only Middle Ages is vastly different from the medieval world that many scholars would recognize. And according to a study I conducted in 2008-2009, young people in the US and UK think of the Middle Ages as existing only in England, Britain, or Western Europe. Some even instinctively have trouble seeing medieval Muslims as “civilized,” even in the face of contradictory evidence such as the many advances in science and technology in the medieval Muslim world. But scholars know that the medieval world was not limited only to England or Western Europe. And even if it were limited to only Western Europe, it would still feature the stories of a number of people of color.

Interesting. Other than that my other points still stand.
Founder of the moderate alliance
Open to new members, and embassy's.
My telagram box is always open for productive conversation.
IRL political views center right/ right.

User avatar
Imperial Rifta
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1469
Founded: Sep 15, 2020
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Imperial Rifta » Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:53 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Bralia wrote:So yeah, the Third SIster definitely sucked ass. But I don't blame the actress much at all, she actually did a fine job in the final 2 episodes. The problem is that the story designers gave her so much screentime without giving us any reason to care about her. She literally became instantaneously better when her motivations and justifications became clear in episode 5. Throwing characters at the screen is why the sequels failed and why Disney will continue to criticized until they learn how to develop characters properly.


Actually you can also blame the actress. She felt she didn’t have to research or prepare for the role of an established character.

The banshee scream really killed scenes….anyway…..

Once again, The Forrest criticizes Reva.

Completely agree.
Low quality posts from 2020-2022 - RIP Technoblade

Join The Iron Alliance

Join us or face our orbital bombardment

User avatar
Myrensis
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5556
Founded: Oct 05, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Myrensis » Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:32 pm

Reminder:
Image

That is all.

User avatar
Sordhau
Minister
 
Posts: 2151
Founded: Nov 24, 2021
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sordhau » Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:49 pm

Myrensis wrote:Reminder:

That is all.


Shame they weren't sexier.
☆ ☭ For the People | Against the Elite ☭ ☆

She/Her
Jennifer/Jenny
My Politics
About Me
Quotes

User avatar
Cannot think of a name
Post Czar
 
Posts: 38424
Founded: Antiquity
New York Times Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:19 pm

Sordhau wrote:
Myrensis wrote:Reminder:

That is all.


Shame they weren't sexier.

Weird
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

User avatar
Imperial Rifta
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1469
Founded: Sep 15, 2020
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Imperial Rifta » Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:06 pm

Sordhau wrote:
Myrensis wrote:Reminder:

That is all.


Shame they weren't sexier.

Daka wasn’t good enough for you?

TCW Nighsisters were all the same. Nightsister Merrin maybe?
Low quality posts from 2020-2022 - RIP Technoblade

Join The Iron Alliance

Join us or face our orbital bombardment

User avatar
Pasong Tirad
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11368
Founded: May 31, 2007
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Pasong Tirad » Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:00 am

Would die for Nightsister Merrin

User avatar
Christian Confederation
Senator
 
Posts: 3665
Founded: Dec 12, 2018
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Christian Confederation » Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:07 am

Pasong Tirad wrote:Would die for Nightsister Merrin

Wierd flex but I respect that
Founder of the moderate alliance
Open to new members, and embassy's.
My telagram box is always open for productive conversation.
IRL political views center right/ right.

User avatar
The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 56521
Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:08 am

Pasong Tirad wrote:Would die for Nightsister Merrin

same

i mean uh what
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Alliance Party / Leftwinger / Atheist
Miniature Painting, Cheese, Curry, Tanks and English Gals are my Kryptonite


I never thought in terms of being a leader. I thought very simply in terms of helping people’ - John Hume



User avatar
Pasong Tirad
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11368
Founded: May 31, 2007
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Pasong Tirad » Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:13 am

Look I'm just saying if she buried me alive in Dathomir it was my fault I deserved it she did nothing wrong

User avatar
The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 56521
Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:29 am

Pasong Tirad wrote:Look I'm just saying if she buried me alive in Dathomir it was my fault I deserved it she did nothing wrong

20 quid she dies in the next game
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Alliance Party / Leftwinger / Atheist
Miniature Painting, Cheese, Curry, Tanks and English Gals are my Kryptonite


I never thought in terms of being a leader. I thought very simply in terms of helping people’ - John Hume



User avatar
Twilight Imperium
Minister
 
Posts: 2694
Founded: May 19, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Twilight Imperium » Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:44 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:
Pasong Tirad wrote:Look I'm just saying if she buried me alive in Dathomir it was my fault I deserved it she did nothing wrong

20 quid she dies in the next game


you hush she is perfect, gonna be enjoying those rare steaks while kylo ren is in his whiny grave

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Advertisement

Remove ads