NATION

PASSWORD

Star Wars: This is The Way

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

How Bad is This Final Batch?

Great Final Batch
42%
Good Final Batch
42%
Decent Final Batch
8%
Bad Final Batch
No votes
Terrible Final Batch
8%

Total votes : 12

Fedel
Minister

Founded: Mar 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Fedel » Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:13 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
HC Eredivisie wrote:i hope they fly with it.

Yes. That looks dopey enough in cartoon form. It'd be the funniest shit ever to see them try and sell that in live action.

Given what they've done in Live Action thus far, I'd say it's all but a guarantee at this point.

Imperial Rifta
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 15, 2020
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Imperial Rifta » Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:07 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Imperial Rifta wrote:“Sources note that Filoni and Favreau were concerned about Obi-Wan covering similar ground as Mandalorian — the Lone Wolf and Cub-like story of Kenobi coming out of hiding to protect a child-aged Luke Skywalker. Maul was one of the villains who would participate in the hunt for the pair”

Didn’t we all fear this? The Mandalorian all over again?

I mean that quote sounds like they were specifically trying to not cover the same story beats again.

That’s what I meant. I was saying we feared it, but they narrowly avoided it.

And I swear that if they fly with that stupid lightsaber I’m going to delete its existence from Wookiepedia
Last edited by Imperial Rifta on Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Low quality posts from 2020-2023
Eagles - Braves - Crimson Tide - Kraken -

News: The Riftan Professional Bailball League’s playoffs begin and the headlines are stolen by the massive upset by the Etnasa Warhorses over the Proxima Purple Knights in the first round. Meanwhile, the Sarif Beasts topple the Cesar Red after a low scoring game culminating in a one-point victory.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:15 pm

Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:28 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:My only gripe with the trailer is the return of the stupid spinning lightsaber. I hate that thing with a passion.

If it works, its good if the lightsaber blades spin faster than a pair of hands can spin a regular double bladed lightsaber. Very disorienting and confusing for whoever is going up against it. Like holding a buzzsaw that can shield you at the push of a button. Exactly what a Sith empire would do- use every advantage they can.

The double bladed lightsaber is most similar to a bo staff which is unexpectedly practical but perhaps doesn't rank as high as a spear. The defender has to parry or block a blade in half the time they have to against a single blade. A spear even better if it has reach and a swordsman can't gain any ground without closing distance and making it more likely they'll get stabbed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQApbJ29QJQ

The utility of the spear is proven, even if its not as cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLLv8E2pWdk
Last edited by Saiwania on Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity

Postby Cannot think of a name » Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:59 pm

"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Imperial Rifta
Ambassador

Postby Imperial Rifta » Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:25 pm

Saiwania wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:My only gripe with the trailer is the return of the stupid spinning lightsaber. I hate that thing with a passion.

If it works, its good if the lightsaber blades spin faster than a pair of hands can spin a regular double bladed lightsaber. Very disorienting and confusing for whoever is going up against it. Like holding a buzzsaw that can shield you at the push of a button. Exactly what a Sith empire would do- use every advantage they can.

The double bladed lightsaber is most similar to a bo staff which is unexpectedly practical but perhaps doesn't rank as high as a spear. The defender has to parry or block a blade in half the time they have to against a single blade. A spear even better if it has reach and a swordsman can't gain any ground without closing distance and making it more likely they'll get stabbed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQApbJ29QJQ
As long as they don’t fly with it
The utility of the spear is proven, even if its not as cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLLv8E2pWdk

News: The Riftan Professional Bailball League’s playoffs begin and the headlines are stolen by the massive upset by the Etnasa Warhorses over the Proxima Purple Knights in the first round. Meanwhile, the Sarif Beasts topple the Cesar Red after a low scoring game culminating in a one-point victory.

Myrensis
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2010

Postby Myrensis » Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:22 am

Imperial Rifta wrote:“Sources note that Filoni and Favreau were concerned about Obi-Wan covering similar ground as Mandalorian — the Lone Wolf and Cub-like story of Kenobi coming out of hiding to protect a child-aged Luke Skywalker. Maul was one of the villains who would participate in the hunt for the pair”

I feel like there's a bit of irony here.

"We were afraid that it would feel like we were just covering too much familiar ground, and that's why we decided to go with Darth Vader instead." :p

Imperial Rifta
Ambassador

Postby Imperial Rifta » Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:47 pm

Myrensis wrote:

I feel like there's a bit of irony here.

"We were afraid that it would feel like we were just covering too much familiar ground, and that's why we decided to go with Darth Vader instead." :p

What do you mean? Everyone knows that Vader isn’t the most well known and documented character in the SW Universe

*Sarcasm Intended*

Christian Confederation
Senator

Founded: Dec 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Christian Confederation » Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:04 am

Cannot think of a name wrote:

Great Scott!

Neat
Founder of the moderate alliance
Open to new members, and embassy's.
My telagram box is always open for productive conversation.
IRL political views center right/ right.

Earthbound Immortal Squad
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Earthbound Immortal Squad » Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:40 am

Honestly this is ironic because when you think about it this formula has been used in all of Filoni's works, Ahsoka and Anakin in TCW, Kanan and Ezra in Rebels, Omega and the Bad Batch in TBB, Grogu and the Mandalorian in the Mandalorian and of course the Mandalorian looking after Boba Fett in the BOBF.
Merry Christmas!

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:51 pm

The Huskar Social Union wrote:I really hope they do it, its fucking hilarious in Rebels.

I have a theory about the rotating lightsabers the Sith Inquistors use in Rebels. There is just no way that it spins fast enough to produce enough lift, but if it did it'd perhaps be too difficult to hold onto. Perhaps what is really happening is that they're using the force to fly for a limited distance and the spinning lightsaber is merely all show.
Last edited by Saiwania on Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:54 pm

Saiwania wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:I really hope they do it, its fucking hilarious in Rebels.

I have a theory about the rotating lightsabers the Sith Inquistors use in Rebels. There is just no way that it spins fast enough to produce enough lift, but if it did it'd perhaps be too difficult to hold onto. Perhaps what is really happening is that they're using the force to fly for a limited distance and the spinning lightsaber is merely all show.

...You know, that does kind of make sense...
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Christian Confederation
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Christian Confederation » Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:02 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
Saiwania wrote:

It does

Kassaran
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kassaran » Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:57 pm

Anyone remember 'flying' as Sith heroes in the old SW Battlefront 2? That was the shit.
Beware: Walls of Text Generally appear Above this Sig.
Zarkenis Ultima wrote:Tristan noticed footsteps behind him and looked there, only to see Eric approaching and then pointing his sword at the girl. He just blinked a few times at this before speaking.

"Put that down, Mr. Eric." He said. "She's obviously not a chicken."
The Knockout Gun Gals wrote:
The United Remnants of America wrote:You keep that cheap Chinese knock-off away from the real OG...

bloody hell, mate.
that's a real deal. We just don't buy the license rights.

HC Eredivisie
Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby HC Eredivisie » Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:14 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
Saiwania wrote:

A Sith flying on his own, without any spinning lightsaber, would be more impressive if you ask me. But them using the Force to fly makes sense, otherwise Grievous would be going full SR-71 on all Jedi. Or maybe Dooku was teaching Grievous to fly so he could reach the ultimate high ground and kill Kenobi.
Hail Richard, Chief Warlock of the Brothers of Darkness, Lord of the Thirteen Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead and the mayor of a little village up the coast.
+7656 posts, Joined 16 april 2003

Het Vijfde Nederlandse Topic met 1461 stemmen, 8070 posts en 144.700 views.
25-01-2005 - 08-06-2009

Twilight Imperium
Minister

Founded: May 19, 2013

Postby Twilight Imperium » Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:15 pm

Maybe they have little repulsor engines in the hilt?

"But TI, you say," incredulous. "That would be stupid!"

Well.....
Last edited by Twilight Imperium on Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:17 am

So word is that not only is the Rogue Squadron movie still happening with Jenkins at the helm, but Michael Stackpole has given the film his blessing.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Christian Confederation
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Christian Confederation » Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:42 am

Vassenor wrote:So word is that not only is the Rogue Squadron movie still happening with Jenkins at the helm, but Michael Stackpole has given the film his blessing.

That's a good sign I assume?

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:55 am

Christian Confederation wrote:
Vassenor wrote:So word is that not only is the Rogue Squadron movie still happening with Jenkins at the helm, but Michael Stackpole has given the film his blessing.

I think he wrote some of the Rogue Squadron comics/books
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:55 am

Christian Confederation wrote:

I mean if the guy who literally wrote the book(s) on Rogue Squadron likes what he's seen, we're in business here.
Last edited by Vassenor on Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Christian Confederation
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Christian Confederation » Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:05 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Christian Confederation wrote:That's a good sign I assume?

I mean if the guy who literally wrote the book(s) on Rogue Squadron likes what he's seen, we're in business here.

Well let's hope it's more Wonder Woman than WW84

Imperial Rifta
Ambassador

Postby Imperial Rifta » Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:22 pm

Saiwania wrote:

It makes sense, but I would deactivate the spinsaber.

If you fly around with it activated, not only do you look like an idiot, but you could also drop it or accidentally chop something.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:46 am

I was thinking "Isn't that the Battletech guy?" And it is the Battletech guy...
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Eahland
Senator

Founded: Apr 18, 2006
Libertarian Police State

Postby Eahland » Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:15 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:

I was thinking "Isn't that the Battletech guy?" And it is the Battletech guy...

Yep. He's even got a rule named after him, due to his insistence on making fusion reactors explode in enormous fireballs in the fiction.

(/me is actually in the middle of doing repairs for the OpFor for next month's game.)
Last edited by Eahland on Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eahlisc Wordboc (Glossary)
Eahlisc Healþambiht segþ: NE DRENCE, EÐA, OÞÞE ONDO BLÆCE!

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:34 pm

Eahland wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:I was thinking "Isn't that the Battletech guy?" And it is the Battletech guy...

Yep. He's even got a rule named after him, due to his insistence on making fusion reactors explode in enormous fireballs in the fiction.

(/me is actually in the middle of doing repairs for the OpFor for next month's game.)

After whatever that series was where he used fencing terms had a Riffleman spin its arms backwards I remember that there was some sort of mechanic introduced for that. Not sure why that and the Solaris 7 scene stand out so much to me. Oh, and the guy dead firing the rocket launchers on an archer to knock someone over. What the stories were actually about...eeeeehhhhhh, something something House Davion succession something or other...and a secret cache of Comstar shit I think?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction