NATION

PASSWORD

Worst movie you have ever seen

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:43 am

Xmara wrote:
Nuroblav wrote:SILENCE! I shall NOT have the classic masterpiece Love You like Christmas insulted like that!! >:(

I don't think I've ever seen a more formulaic movie to be honest. It felt a dreary hybrid of A Christmas Carol and The Shack :p

I watched one with my mom last year about this woman who is a scientist who starts dating a man who turns out to be the child of Santa and Mrs. Claus, and the Clauses come to her house to stay for a while. Anyway, the woman's dad (I think?) gets suspicious of this Claus guy and takes a DNA sample and runs it.

The way they portrayed DNA analysis was so inaccurate. He took the sample, stuck it on this thing that looked like a fingerprint scanner, and all of this data just magically started popping up on his computer (including an image from gel electrophoresis! he didn't even run a gel!). To top it all off, a message popped up on the computer that said that the DNA sample did not match anyone, and all of this took place in a matter of seconds.

Look, I'm willing to give a little leeway to movies when it comes to portraying science, especially fantasy movies. I don't expect the writers to get every little detail about DNA analysis correct. Maybe I'm being overly critical since I actually am going to be doing this for a living when I finish up college, but I swear the writers of this movie didn't even try to make it seem realistic.

But isn't that standard of all movies, CSI series etc ?

Last edited by The Alma Mater on Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Somerania
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 24, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Somerania » Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:53 am

Midway (2019) somehow the Japanese pilots and AA ALWAYS miss unless the plot needs them to be useful while the Americans survive because of plot armor and also never miss unless then plot needs them to, as for the characters they have 0 personality and the movie has every ww2 movie trope you can think of, this seems like one of those propaganda movies made like wolf warrior but instead it portrays american pilots in ww2.
Pax Nerdvana wrote:So Bad They're Funny Movies:
Kung Fu Dunk
Shaolin Soccer
Something in the Woods

Genuinely Terrible Movies:
Kung Fu Hustle
Attack of the Mushroom People
The Emoji Movie

It's amazing what weird crap you can find on the various streaming services. There's a movie on Amazon Prime called Velocipastor that I'm half tempted to watch purely because the title is hilarious.

Shaolin soccer is a comedy movie btw, it's a masterpiece for me and so is Kung Fu hustle
It's silly most of the time and hilarious

Xmara
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 31, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Xmara » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:34 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:
Xmara wrote:I watched one with my mom last year about this woman who is a scientist who starts dating a man who turns out to be the child of Santa and Mrs. Claus, and the Clauses come to her house to stay for a while. Anyway, the woman's dad (I think?) gets suspicious of this Claus guy and takes a DNA sample and runs it.

The way they portrayed DNA analysis was so inaccurate. He took the sample, stuck it on this thing that looked like a fingerprint scanner, and all of this data just magically started popping up on his computer (including an image from gel electrophoresis! he didn't even run a gel!). To top it all off, a message popped up on the computer that said that the DNA sample did not match anyone, and all of this took place in a matter of seconds.

Look, I'm willing to give a little leeway to movies when it comes to portraying science, especially fantasy movies. I don't expect the writers to get every little detail about DNA analysis correct. Maybe I'm being overly critical since I actually am going to be doing this for a living when I finish up college, but I swear the writers of this movie didn't even try to make it seem realistic.

But isn't that standard of all movies, CSI series etc ?

Not quite. I mean, CSI isn’t entirely accurate, but at least it’s somewhat more believable. Especially since this Hallmark movie portrayed this guy doing DNA analysis AT HOME. IN HIS BEDROOM. WITH NOTHING MORE THAN A LAPTOP AND A THING THAT LOOKED LIKE A FINGERPRINT SCANNER.

At least CSI has them doing it in a lab.
/ˈzmaːrʌ/
Info
Our Leader
Status- Code Green- All clear
I mostly use NS stats, except for population and tax rates.
We are not Estonia.
A 16.8 civilization, according to this index.
Flag Waver

Support
Ukraine

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:09 pm

Xmara wrote:
Nuroblav wrote:SILENCE! I shall NOT have the classic masterpiece Love You like Christmas insulted like that!! >:(

I don't think I've ever seen a more formulaic movie to be honest. It felt a dreary hybrid of A Christmas Carol and The Shack :p

I watched one with my mom last year about this woman who is a scientist who starts dating a man who turns out to be the child of Santa and Mrs. Claus, and the Clauses come to her house to stay for a while. Anyway, the woman's dad (I think?) gets suspicious of this Claus guy and takes a DNA sample and runs it.

I'm just curious, what exactly was a DNA sample from Santa supposed to prove?

I mean, he is supposed to be human right? Did I miss a memo? Does he have genes for Holly and Mistletoe? Are his chromosomes shaped like candy canes?
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

Xmara
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 31, 2014

Postby Xmara » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:43 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:
Xmara wrote:I watched one with my mom last year about this woman who is a scientist who starts dating a man who turns out to be the child of Santa and Mrs. Claus, and the Clauses come to her house to stay for a while. Anyway, the woman's dad (I think?) gets suspicious of this Claus guy and takes a DNA sample and runs it.

I'm just curious, what exactly was a DNA sample from Santa supposed to prove?

I mean, he is supposed to be human right? Did I miss a memo? Does he have genes for Holly and Mistletoe? Are his chromosomes shaped like candy canes?

Idk after that scene I pretty much quit watching the movie and deleted most other details of it from my brain
/ˈzmaːrʌ/
Info
Our Leader
Status- Code Green- All clear
I mostly use NS stats, except for population and tax rates.
We are not Estonia.
A 16.8 civilization, according to this index.
Flag Waver

Support
Ukraine

Bretton Bad
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 22, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Bretton Bad » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:47 pm

shrek
Average rating on Constructively Rate the Flag Above You: 17.1/10

Sparanoda
Secretary

Founded: Apr 27, 2020
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sparanoda » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:51 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:There was this movie that was on Hulu for a minute, looked like it was filmed on an iPhone and edited with, like Instagram or something. Supposed to be a superhero movie but I honestly couldn’t tell you what the premise was or even the characters or the story. Eventually I tapped out. Whatever the hell that was makes all your “The Room” or “Battleground Earths” look like masterpieces.

And that’s limiting myself to movies with distribution. I have a film degree, I’ve watched some monumentally bad student films. And not all of them were made by me.

The movie "Chronicle"? Is that the one? I thought that it was a pretty good movie.
If I am replying to something you said, please know that I tried my best to understand what you were trying to say. I apologize if I misunderstood, please forgive me and correct my interpretation while maintaining civility and manners expected of a decent person.

Thank you.

Japan and Pacific States
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 09, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Japan and Pacific States » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:54 pm

Nazis at the Center of the Earth.

Used those cheap 20-ish quid plastic Airsoft MP40s but they cut the fronts off so they wouldn't show the orange tipped barrels, then 99% of the weaponry shown after that was atompunked nerf guns, don't even get me started on the horrible, the absolutely god awful CGI. Dear god it was a level of terrible I didn't think was possible.
Nationstates Stats not Used
Everyone's favourite Alt-history Japanese empire with advanced tech and a new Shogunate.. And domination over half the world.
Current Events:All is well

Outer Shenendoah
Political Columnist

Founded: Jul 26, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Outer Shenendoah » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:54 pm

Warronia wrote:What's the worst movie or TV series you have ever watched? It would be great if you write arguments why you think it was trash.

Lee Majors in "The Norsemen" a Faarah Faucet production.

Nothing like watching a group of Vikings get off of their longship, with trucks driving by in the background.

Somerania
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Somerania » Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:05 am

Outer Shenendoah wrote:
Warronia wrote:What's the worst movie or TV series you have ever watched? It would be great if you write arguments why you think it was trash.

Lee Majors in "The Norsemen" a Faarah Faucet production.

Nothing like watching a group of Vikings get off of their longship, with trucks driving by in the background.

Those are the steel land snekkja's of the Einherjar

Amuarita
Civil Servant

Founded: May 15, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Amuarita » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:18 am

Well, there's:

The Last Jedi
Rise of Skywalker
Shrek
Wall-e
[][][][][]Vesperan Federation[][][][][]
Vesperia is a prosperous, democratic nation in a cold war with the Sraiseniat Empire
VNN: President Sullivan states he will not be meeting with leaders of Sraiseniat | Famine rips through Saaland; Rocafik; Zarron; IC peacekeeping efforts break down
Atompunk, dieselpunk world with some fantasy species, or, Terran American Republic tries something original

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:40 pm

Somerania wrote:Midway (2019) somehow the Japanese pilots and AA ALWAYS miss unless the plot needs them to be useful while the Americans survive because of plot armor and also never miss unless then plot needs them to, as for the characters they have 0 personality and the movie has every ww2 movie trope you can think of, this seems like one of those propaganda movies made like wolf warrior but instead it portrays american pilots in ww2.
Pax Nerdvana wrote:So Bad They're Funny Movies:
Kung Fu Dunk
Shaolin Soccer
Something in the Woods

Genuinely Terrible Movies:
Kung Fu Hustle
Attack of the Mushroom People
The Emoji Movie

It's amazing what weird crap you can find on the various streaming services. There's a movie on Amazon Prime called Velocipastor that I'm half tempted to watch purely because the title is hilarious.

Shaolin soccer is a comedy movie btw, it's a masterpiece for me and so is Kung Fu hustle

Shaolin Soccer is definitely a masterpiece. I found Kung Fu Hustle to be pretty boring, and really weird, even by my standards.
Anyone else remember The Mummy: Tomb of The Dragon Emperor? It was pretty bad from what I remember.
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

Somerania
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Somerania » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:09 am

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
Somerania wrote:Midway (2019) somehow the Japanese pilots and AA ALWAYS miss unless the plot needs them to be useful while the Americans survive because of plot armor and also never miss unless then plot needs them to, as for the characters they have 0 personality and the movie has every ww2 movie trope you can think of, this seems like one of those propaganda movies made like wolf warrior but instead it portrays american pilots in ww2.

Shaolin Soccer is definitely a masterpiece. I found Kung Fu Hustle to be pretty boring, and really weird, even by my standards.
Anyone else remember The Mummy: Tomb of The Dragon Emperor? It was pretty bad from what I remember.

Brendan Fraser and John Hannah were the best part of the film
The rest of the movie was mediocre... Don't know why they decided to replace Rachel Weisz

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:44 am

Upon re-watching League of Extraordinary Gentlemen:

Invisible villain approaches Good Guy with a gun. Good guy thinks Invisible villain is Invisible good guy.

Hero: “Hey Invisible good guy? How do you do?”

Villain: (blows element of surprise and the whole point of invisibility) “I’m not the Invisible Good Guy. I’m the Invisible Villain... I’M GOING TO KILL YOU NOW!”

Invisible villain picks up a knife and starts stabbing and missing repeatedly. Due to the budget/directing decisions the knife moves like a dancing and floating magical knife... not like an invisible human being is wielding it.

Good guy takes his rifle and shoots... at the knife, not at where the invisible villain would logically be standing.

While unwise, the Hero should still be okay... because the high velocity of a rifle round SHOULD cause the knife to fly out of the villain’s hold... except it doesn’t. The knife somehow causes all rifle rounds to ricochet off. Villain keeps stabbing and missing.

Hero fires off 5-6 rounds at the knife while backing off.

Before the villain sees the Hero is out of rounds, the villain runs away and closes a steel door shut (he’s somehow gained a mega burst of speed somehow because he spent a ton of time driving the hero back with a knife... but only 1 second or less to back all the way and escape behind the door all the way behind).

The Hero starts reloading his rifle.

The villain doesn’t see this detail, but as soon as the shooting stops, he opens the steel door and attacks again. He gambled with his life because the Hero may have shot and killed him.
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:47 am, edited 4 times in total.

Port Myreal
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 05, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Port Myreal » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:04 am

Dead Survivors (2010), from the creators stuntman of Inglourious Basterds.
pronounced: port mi-re-al

-⚔️The Free Land_of Port Myreal - No_masters above,_no servants below.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:06 am

Somerania wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:Shaolin Soccer is definitely a masterpiece. I found Kung Fu Hustle to be pretty boring, and really weird, even by my standards.

Brendan Fraser and John Hannah were the best part of the film
The rest of the movie was mediocre... Don't know why they decided to replace Rachel Weisz

Yeah. Switching up actors in the last movie of a trilogy just makes things weird.
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

Olwe
Senator

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Olwe » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:48 pm

2001: A Space Odyssey. Best nap I’ve ever had, but horrible movie.
Founded: 2480
Current year: 5001
Magic: Non-negotiable
Ponies: Yes, occasionally
Tech levels incompatible? Then kick me out of the thread, because if you RP with me you accept my tech.
Note: Before 2480, Olwe was called Athan. If you see this word in a thread, it's because you mentioned a year incompatible with Olwe in that thread but still made it open to all techs and therefore are allowing Athan's magic.
RP population: 21 billion
Embassy program: https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=203258

West The Bon Noratenhalam
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 14, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby West The Bon Noratenhalam » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:16 am

Enough

Freiheit Reich
Negotiator

Founded: May 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Freiheit Reich » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:07 am

Olwe wrote:2001: A Space Odyssey. Best nap I’ve ever had, but horrible movie.

Agree. The only reason I did not give up is because I want to complete the IMDB 250 list and this is on the list. The only good part was with Hal. I watched the other 2.5 hours at 250-300% speed and still thought it was too slow. Kubrick movies can be amazing ('The Shining', 'Full Metal Jacket', 'Paths of Glory') or slow ('2001 A Space odyssey, Barry Lyndon, Killer's Kiss).
Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: 3.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.87

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:57 pm

Unironically the sequel is much better.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

Tompicaur
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 05, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Tompicaur » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:09 pm

I watched 9 actually the other day. The only reason I wanted to was because the little guys seemed cute. It turned out to be a really dark movie and was pretty good plot up until the end. Maybe if I watched the movie again I would understand it but it just went crazy at the end making it super confusing because I thought the scientist says they all need to be sucked up to create a new world with the robot but they ended up destroying the robot and ascended their friends into the heavens.

New Ruchaar
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jul 21, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby New Ruchaar » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:12 pm

Boss Baby
I mean...sorry to bother you but........
yall really believe Biden could get 80 million votes????......
also free hong kong and the uyghurs, ive got nothing but contempt for any of you who defend China just because you gotta hate Trump on everything

Olwe
Senator

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Olwe » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:27 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:

Unironically the sequel is much better.

I agree, the sequel really wasn’t bad at all.
Founded: 2480
Current year: 5001
Magic: Non-negotiable
Ponies: Yes, occasionally
Tech levels incompatible? Then kick me out of the thread, because if you RP with me you accept my tech.
Note: Before 2480, Olwe was called Athan. If you see this word in a thread, it's because you mentioned a year incompatible with Olwe in that thread but still made it open to all techs and therefore are allowing Athan's magic.
RP population: 21 billion
Embassy program: https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=203258

Somerania
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Somerania » Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:40 am

Godzilla: king of the monsters
It's like America is the only country to ever exist, Rodan emerges in Mexico? WELL SEND IN THE US MILITARY TO MEXICAN TERRITORY TO RESCUE MEXICAN CITIZENS BECAUSE THE US CAN OVERRIDE EVERY COUNTRY ON EARTH'S SOVEREIGNTY, it's like there is no Russia, India, China, Japan, Korea and EU it's only America.

Old Tanokiana
Envoy

Founded: Jan 18, 2020
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Old Tanokiana » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:02 am

Alien Warfare on Netflix, that damn "movie" is just a tacticool SEAL spec ops larper fantasy. The movie begins with generic Afghanistan Vet with beard (pewdiepie lookin ass) watching rugby drinking generic beer brand. He gets a call about something something mission, and then flashback to an "op" somewhere in a Texas backyard that the viewer's supposed to believe is Russia, because everyone has high end Airsoft AK 74u's (probably E&L or CYMA). Then they face generic Russian terrorist wearing a kaffiiyeh, he dies and hostage gets shot and everyone has PTSD. Fast forward to the present, Afghan Vet and his brother have daddy issues and are tasked (along with a Nerd who reads Plato and a black dude who is B U F F) in retrieving something unspecified by the CIA, Afghan Vet was wearing AK mags on his bandolier, despite having an M4. They're sent to "The Caucasus" to a NATO base that was established in the Cold war? And if you paid attention in history class, the Caucasus was under the Warsaw pact so uh... We also get introduced to generic Latina woman, who's a scientist and then everything goes Project Bluebook and mysterious black prism anomaly.

2/10, the only appeal is the Tacticool M4s and AKs
PT-MT Nation used to be a representation of my views, NS stats are used rarely
Former Member of: CUSP, UIC
TG me if something's off. I'll probably rewrite my lore when I get to it, if I get to it lol

NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH THE RUSSIAN CZAR | Old Tanokiana is an Orthodox Greco-Frankish nation located in modern day Lower Saxony, Germany.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction