NATION

PASSWORD

Star Wars: Canon VS Legends debate

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Which is better?

Canon (Disney Wars)
4%
Legends (original expanded universe)
85%
No preference
11%

Total votes : 27

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:28 am

New haven america wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Just using that poster's own logic.

Yes, they are correct, as am I.

I said it happened later, and it did, starting with KK deciding to inject her vision of what SW should be into the franchise with TLJ. That being Hollywood progressivism that doesn't actually mean anything or meaningfully helps the movement it's supposed to be in support of. Star Trek is also going through this as well, like how STP is supposed to be super bloody progressive but instead pushes a message of xenophobia, racism, and Randian selfishness ("Newton's 4th law of Thermodynamics: Any good action will bite you in the ass").

Hollywood Progressivism is basically just rich filmmakers and writers taking the progressive movement and using it to bank off of people who claim to know what progressivism is, when they don't.

I'm not quite sure I follow your argument here.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:34 am

Vassenor wrote:
New haven america wrote:Yes, they are correct, as am I.

I said it happened later, and it did, starting with KK deciding to inject her vision of what SW should be into the franchise with TLJ. That being Hollywood progressivism that doesn't actually mean anything or meaningfully helps the movement it's supposed to be in support of. Star Trek is also going through this as well, like how STP is supposed to be super bloody progressive but instead pushes a message of xenophobia, racism, and Randian selfishness ("Newton's 4th law of Thermodynamics: Any good action will bite you in the ass").

Hollywood Progressivism is basically just rich filmmakers and writers taking the progressive movement and using it to bank off of people who claim to know what progressivism is, when they don't.

I'm not quite sure I follow your argument here.

So many things I could say, so many warnings I could rack up. Nope, not today, nopenopenope.

How do I put this in way that won't cause you to as usual run away from...? Ah!

Hollywood Progressivism isn't good or progressive. It's fake and capitalistic.

The sequel trilogy isn't good because it's poorly written and full of Hollywood Progressivism.

That means it doesn't have any good message to share, like good SW stories should.

Ok?
Last edited by New haven america on Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:39 am

Man, I gotta say...one of the great things about the 90s is that it was a sweat spot to be a Star Wars fan. The last Star Wars movie was all the way back to 1983 and you could admit that the movies weren't perfect but you still remembered how you felt seeing them in the theater for the first time.

I mean, that whole 'real fan' division wasn't between 'canon' and 'legends' but the people who just watched the movies and the people who read the books, but for the most part you could just...be a fan. No one was a giant dick about it, you didn't have to define your fandom by what part of Star Wars you hated the most or considered what 'ruined the franchise/your childhood/reality itself.' It was just this goofy but awesome movie with space ships and laser swords and a guy who had like all of seven lines and a slapstick ending was the biggest badass in the galaxy. It was great.

Now it's so hard to be a fan. I can't just be into the parts I like and not worry about the parts I don't. I have to draw these battle lines and rehearse my tight five on why the Disney trilogy sucks or the prequels ruined things. More and more I'm really starting to understand why Lucas punched out.

When it come to Legends vs Canon...I don't care. It's not history. Come close, gather around: The green lightsaber was because the barge fight was against a blue sky so they changed Luke's saber color. Someone else later came along and made up an in world reason behind green light sabers. It's all made up and I can like parts of both and not spend a moments time worrying about the parts I don't, just like I was doing in the 90s without it having to be a statement of character.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:45 am

Cannot think of a name wrote:Man, I gotta say...one of the great things about the 90s is that it was a sweat spot to be a Star Wars fan. The last Star Wars movie was all the way back to 1983 and you could admit that the movies weren't perfect but you still remembered how you felt seeing them in the theater for the first time.

I mean, that whole 'real fan' division wasn't between 'canon' and 'legends' but the people who just watched the movies and the people who read the books, but for the most part you could just...be a fan. No one was a giant dick about it, you didn't have to define your fandom by what part of Star Wars you hated the most or considered what 'ruined the franchise/your childhood/reality itself.' It was just this goofy but awesome movie with space ships and laser swords and a guy who had like all of seven lines and a slapstick ending was the biggest badass in the galaxy. It was great.

Now it's so hard to be a fan. I can't just be into the parts I like and not worry about the parts I don't. I have to draw these battle lines and rehearse my tight five on why the Disney trilogy sucks or the prequels ruined things. More and more I'm really starting to understand why Lucas punched out.

When it come to Legends vs Canon...I don't care. It's not history. Come close, gather around: The green lightsaber was because the barge fight was against a blue sky so they changed Luke's saber color. Someone else later came along and made up an in world reason behind green light sabers. It's all made up and I can like parts of both and not spend a moments time worrying about the parts I don't, just like I was doing in the 90s without it having to be a statement of character.

Ah, the 90's.

The time where Return of the Jedi was considered the worst movie of the franchise and The Star Wars Holiday Special was hard to find.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:50 am

New haven america wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:Man, I gotta say...one of the great things about the 90s is that it was a sweat spot to be a Star Wars fan. The last Star Wars movie was all the way back to 1983 and you could admit that the movies weren't perfect but you still remembered how you felt seeing them in the theater for the first time.

Ah, the 90's.

The time where Return of the Jedi was considered the worst movie of the franchise and The Star Wars Holiday Special was hard to find.

A co-worker who I had a contentious relationship got a hold of a bootleg VHS recorded the night of broadcast and despite our animosity we gathered at his house to watch it, period commercials for the new Datsun B210 and everything. That was the state of Star Wars fandom then. We put aside our differences to watch Star Wars be embarrassing and still loved it. I miss those days.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:55 am

Cannot think of a name wrote:
New haven america wrote:Ah, the 90's.

A co-worker who I had a contentious relationship got a hold of a bootleg VHS recorded the night of broadcast and despite our animosity we gathered at his house to watch it, period commercials for the new Datsun B210 and everything. That was the state of Star Wars fandom then. We put aside our differences to watch Star Wars be embarrassing and still loved it. I miss those days.

I mean, the SW thread is trying to have a yearly watch along of the SW Holiday Special. You'd be welcome to join.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

West The Bon Noratenhalam
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 14, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby West The Bon Noratenhalam » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:12 pm

The Exarchate of the West wrote:
The Caleshan Valkyrie wrote:I’ve always been a Thrawn fanboy. Dude got a bum rap from Disney.

The Thrawn in the Disney canon is a pale shadow of his true self in the EU. Disney got the gold mine and he got the shaft.

It wasn't just Thrawn, either. Luke, Han, and Leia are also mere shadows in comparison to how they were portrayed in the EU. It's really sad.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction