NATION

PASSWORD

Dracula BBC 2020

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.
Auristania
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Dracula BBC 2020

Postby Auristania » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:41 pm

BBC is doing a NEW Dracula show.

I expected to hate it. Scuttlebutt said it was all Gaycula and Social Justice with Gay Dracula and wammyn van Helsing. Sure they did all that, but they did entertainment too.

BBC Dracula is the Galaxy Quest of Dracula shows.

Galaxy Quest is jokes about Trek and Trek fans and it's US trek fans making the jokes aboot Ourselves. Non-trekkies saying Trekkies are dumb fnah fnah would be a different show altogether. And don't call me Shirley.

This show's Vampire jokes are Vampire fans laughing at Ourselves.

It's only 3 episodes. so it will never be the next Buffy.

Mad crazy Theory
Social Justice shows ram their message down out throats, we MUST obey. What if, a Social Justice show with Entertainment after the Brexit Election means Social Justice Warriors are less triumphalist???
Last edited by Auristania on Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stiltball
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 14, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Stiltball » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:34 pm

If you haven't seen this show it's well worth searching out. Looking forward to the second instalment. The jokes bit the mark with me and i enjoyed the twists and turns. The beeb has done for Drac what it did for Holmes, gone off piste and put a new angle on it.

Ther Sul Citzpacia
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Ther Sul Citzpacia » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:33 pm

Episode 2 finished with Drac sleeping with the fishes longer than I expected and how come the nun's taken Drac into custody?

ArranVidLand
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby ArranVidLand » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:38 pm

I like it but it's not very deep, it's not a very cleverly made story. Yes there are clever parts, but a lot of it is not clever. I have never seen Dracula movies, except these two parts of the Dracula 2020 series, but this particular version of Dracula is not as sophisticated as I had expected him to be, he doesn't have as much class as I had expected. Bram Stoker's novel is better, this BBC version has also made some of Bram's story more twisted than necessary (I won't detail it because I don't want to spoil it for others who haven't watched it). Some of the horror parts are unintentionally comedic imo.

Little Tin Hat
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Little Tin Hat » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:24 am

It isn't a straight take on the book as you might expect from the people who gave us Sherlock- It's much like what the OP said a fun pastiche on previous takes of the character's back catalogue.

Auristania
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Auristania » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:49 pm

Episode 3 I Love it.

SPOILER
Dracula dies

GOOD NEWS
Before Drac dies, Camera focuses on Dracula's signet ring: Obsidian with an inlaid "D" in Pearl.

BAD NEWS
They omitted the Classical Trope of Drac turning to Dust, then wind blows away the Dust until only the Ring remains.

MEDIUM NEWS
They did focus on the One Ring. So if enough people love it, there will be sequels. Does anyone else want sequels?
Nobody wants prequels. It is known

Ther Sul Citzpacia
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Ther Sul Citzpacia » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:08 pm

loved the bit when the girl's bed sheets started shifting-

Best episode of the 3
Last edited by Ther Sul Citzpacia on Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ther Sul Citzpacia
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Ther Sul Citzpacia » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:14 pm

loved the bit when the girl's bed sheets started shifting-

Could quite easily immediately watched the series again- very unusual for me- last time i felt like this was when I saw Quills.

Lloydlong
Civilian

Founded: Mar 12, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Lloydlong » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:58 am

ArranVidLand wrote:I like it but it's not very deep, it's not a very cleverly made story. Yes there are clever parts, but a lot of it is not clever. I have never seen Dracula movies, except these two parts of the Dracula 2020 series, but this particular version of Dracula is not as sophisticated as I had expected him to be, he doesn't have as much class as I had expected. Bram Stoker's novel is better, this BBC version has also made some of Bram's story more twisted than necessary (I won't detail it because I don't want to spoil it for others who haven't watched it). Some of the horror parts are unintentionally comedic imo. 8 ball pool online

I loved episode 3 right up until it ended, and all those storyline apparently went nowhere.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction