NATION

PASSWORD

The Warhammer 40.000/Fantasy Discussion Thread Mk.III

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:42 am

Northern Davincia wrote:Does anyone know any worthwhile, obscure space marine chapters?

As in obscure but different colour scheme?

Maybe the Novamarines and the Marines Malevolent might be up your alley.

In terms of lore, we were just discussing not too long ago the exorcists. They are both obscure and very unique.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:54 am

I mean as of 2003 there were 54 "official" Chapters outside of the big nine and their 28 successors.

Citation: Space Marines Collector's Guide, Second Edition.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Tethys 13
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 05, 2007
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Tethys 13 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:38 am

Vassenor wrote:I mean as of 2003 there were 54 "official" Chapters outside of the big nine and their 28 successors.

Given that the number thrown around for total number of chapters is '1,000' (and no, that is not just because of the weird idea that chapters are 1,000 strong) there is plenty of room for new ones, even for me including the 50-odd I designed one bored afternoon.

Seriously though, that 'Chapter=1,000' thing always irritated me, especially the idea that the Hammers of Dorn always keep themselves to exactly that number due to their devotion to the Codex Astartes. It is 1,000 line Astartes, not 1,000 marines in total. Ten companies of ten squads of ten, and then you have the drivers, pilots, command squads, Chaplains, Techmarines, Librarians, Honour Guard, Captains, Chapter Master, and probably some dedicated Astartes naval personnel.
Still, saying that, it does bug me that you cannot take some of the Primaris units in squads of ten. I want my Codex-compliant Primaris company, darnit.
The Aquatic Librarian Knights of Tethys 13
Population: >31 Billion
Leaders: The Grand Council
We use NationStates statistics, with some artistic license.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:33 am

Oh its beautiful.
Last edited by The Huskar Social Union on Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:40 am

Tethys 13 wrote:
Vassenor wrote:I mean as of 2003 there were 54 "official" Chapters outside of the big nine and their 28 successors.

Given that the number thrown around for total number of chapters is '1,000' (and no, that is not just because of the weird idea that chapters are 1,000 strong) there is plenty of room for new ones, even for me including the 50-odd I designed one bored afternoon.

Seriously though, that 'Chapter=1,000' thing always irritated me, especially the idea that the Hammers of Dorn always keep themselves to exactly that number due to their devotion to the Codex Astartes. It is 1,000 line Astartes, not 1,000 marines in total. Ten companies of ten squads of ten, and then you have the drivers, pilots, command squads, Chaplains, Techmarines, Librarians, Honour Guard, Captains, Chapter Master, and probably some dedicated Astartes naval personnel.
Still, saying that, it does bug me that you cannot take some of the Primaris units in squads of ten. I want my Codex-compliant Primaris company, darnit.

Yeah, I'm just talking about the ones with "GW approved" paint schemes.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:59 am

I always thought chapters should be a few thousand marines at least. Never liked the 1000 average strength thing myself.
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Tethys 13
Ambassador

Postby Tethys 13 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:07 am

Vassenor wrote:
Yeah, I'm just talking about the ones with "GW approved" paint schemes.

In that case, the only thing remotely close to the Celebrants that I can think of would be the Raptors, and even then you would have to go a bit further than the 'official' scheme - their scheme is very plain, but they are known to use camouflage, and their flat brown scheme is intended to serve as a base for that. You could therefore choose to paint them with a proper camouflage scheme and it would still be in keeping with the Raptors, but if you just want to keep only to official chapter colours as set down in codices etcetera, then no, I can think of none that use techniques beyond painting armour plates different colours or sometimes split colours other than the Celebrants.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:12 am

New reveals as part of Warhammer Preview 3:

Accompanying Illuminor Szeras in the new Psychic awakening stuff, there is also a new inquisitor called Kyria Draxus:

Blackstone Fortress expansion called Ascension, brings with it new adventures, rewards, enemies etc including these two awesome looking Guardian Drones:

Warcry gets a new Aelven warband called the Khainite Shadowstalkers:

Age of Sigmar gets a new set of Giants called the Sons of Behemat, they are pretty fucking big:

Also a new hero for the Lumineth Realm Lords, called a Scinari Cathaller:

Following were too big to add into the post so just click on the link instead, they are in the link at the top as well:

Bloodbowl gets a snotling team

Saul Tarvitz gets a HH miniature

Also gona be a Librarian in terminator armour and a sister of battle exclusive mini to order online

Tethys 13
Ambassador

Postby Tethys 13 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:42 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:New reveals as part of Warhammer Preview 3:

Saul Tarvitz gets a HH miniature

Also gona be a Librarian in terminator armour and a sister of battle exclusive mini to order online

I have been hearing speculation that Tarvitz might be part of a new plastic Horus Heresy set, based on the lack of a scenic base which sets it apart from the rest of the Horus Heresy Character Series, among other things. I doubt it, but it would be nice.

Also, is it just me or does Tarvitz really look like a wrinkled Chris Wraight with more hair?

Edit: I adore the model for Inquisitor Lord Draxus though. I would love if there were a helmeted option, but if not then that is just a minor nitpick.
Last edited by Tethys 13 on Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jetan
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 07, 2011
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Jetan » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:53 am

Because I obviously don't have enough projects yet, I started Skaven.
Second Finn, after Imm
........Геть Росію.........
Україна вільна і єдина
From the moment I understood the weakness of my flesh, it disgusted me.
Beholder's Lair - a hobby blog
32 years old, patriotic Finnish guy interested in history. Hobbies include miniatures, all kinds of games, books, anime and manga.
Always open to TGs. Pro/Against

Ceterum autem censeo Putinem esse delendum

The Biggles Syndicate
Diplomat

Founded: May 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Biggles Syndicate » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:45 pm

The Huskar Social Union wrote:Bloodbowl gets a snotling team

Bloodbowl has a Snotling team now?

"And there's the kickoff! Offense is running down the middle-"

SQUISH SQUASH CRUNCH

"Unfortunately the Fighting Snots had to forfeit the game because the other team accidentally ran them over."

Trollgaard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 01, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trollgaard » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:44 pm

The new giants are really cool. I plan on getting one and converting it into a knight for the space barbarian/imperial beast cult guard guard army I'm getting started on.
Last edited by Trollgaard on Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:49 am

The Biggles Syndicate wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Bloodbowl gets a snotling team

Bloodbowl has a Snotling team now?

"And there's the kickoff! Offense is running down the middle-"

SQUISH SQUASH CRUNCH

"Unfortunately the Fighting Snots had to forfeit the game because the other team accidentally ran them over."

Snotlings have had a BB team since time immemorial. IIRC most recently they were designed to be used in a combo team with ogres...
The Kingdom of Crookfur
Your ordinary everyday scotiodanavian freedom loving utopia!

And yes I do like big old guns, why do you ask?

Impaled Nazarene
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Impaled Nazarene » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:34 am

I want the Illuminor Szeras model.
Hell I just want to start collecting Necrons. Now If only they came pre-painted
Anarchist
Kiaculta wrote:Oh, Kar, you silly sack of shit.
Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Bickering ist krieg.
Infected Mushroom wrote:isn't this a bit extreme?
Finland SSR wrote:"Many dictatorships are oligarchies.
Many democracies are oligarchies.
Therefore, many dictatorships are democracies."

-said no one ever. I made these words up.
Genivaria wrote:"WHY!? Why do this!? Thousands of planets and trillions of innocent lives gone! For what!?"
"It seemed like fun at the time."

Tethys 13
Ambassador

Postby Tethys 13 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:36 am

Jetan wrote:Because I obviously don't have enough projects yet, I started Skaven.

I am in a similar position, I have been planning a dozen or so armies for months or years, and yet I have started repainting a Land Raider to go with the 1st Company of a new Space Marine chapter I invented last week. My current plan is to purchase 55 Terminators (30 standard, 20 Assault, and convert a Captain, Chaplain, Librarian, Ancient and Apothecary) as soon as lockdown ends, so I have been reducing my grocery purchases.

Jetan
Postmaster-General

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Jetan » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:33 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:Does anyone know any worthwhile, obscure space marine chapters?

You should make one yourself. Half the fun is in having a unique army. "Your dudes" to the max.

Tethys 13 wrote:
Jetan wrote:Because I obviously don't have enough projects yet, I started Skaven.

I am in a similar position, I have been planning a dozen or so armies for months or years, and yet I have started repainting a Land Raider to go with the 1st Company of a new Space Marine chapter I invented last week. My current plan is to purchase 55 Terminators (30 standard, 20 Assault, and convert a Captain, Chaplain, Librarian, Ancient and Apothecary) as soon as lockdown ends, so I have been reducing my grocery purchases.

Nice. Which chapter is it?

As of now, the projects I have going on (bear in mind some of these have had a year or few since last update, so they're very slow burning) are, in no particular order:

Beholders (DIY chapter)
Goblins
Chaos Dwarfs
Fixing a funky retro eldar army
Fixing Asger Granerud's Daemons
Roomans
Oriental Heroes
Dogs of War
Suzy and the Slayers (Escher)
Lizardmen
Goliaths & other miscellaneous Necromunda
And now the Skaven.

In addition to that I do random miscellaneous models and have atleast the following projects in the pipeline that i haven't even properly started yet:

Expanding Praetorian Guard
Expanding Dark Elves
Fimir
Ratskins
Enforcers
Orlocks

I might've forgotten something, but that should be most of them atleast.
Second Finn, after Imm
Україна вільна і єдина
32 years old, patriotic Finnish guy interested in history. Hobbies include miniatures, all kinds of games, books, anime and manga.

Tethys 13
Ambassador

Postby Tethys 13 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:36 pm

Jetan wrote:Nice. Which chapter is it?

As of now, the projects I have going on (bear in mind some of these have had a year or few since last update, so they're very slow burning) are, in no particular order:

Beholders (DIY chapter)
Goblins
Chaos Dwarfs
Fixing a funky retro eldar army
Fixing Asger Granerud's Daemons
Roomans
Oriental Heroes
Dogs of War
Suzy and the Slayers (Escher)
Lizardmen
Goliaths & other miscellaneous Necromunda
And now the Skaven.

In addition to that I do random miscellaneous models and have atleast the following projects in the pipeline that i haven't even properly started yet:

Expanding Praetorian Guard
Expanding Dark Elves
Fimir
Ratskins
Enforcers
Orlocks

I might've forgotten something, but that should be most of them atleast.

The Space Mammoths, of which I posted an image and some of the lore for earlier. Also on my painting desk right now is a squad of Palatine Subjugators, who I plan to paint as Adeptus Arbites with my first proper attempt at directional lighting (which I am quite apprehensive about), and my converted Spined Chaos Beast.
Other projects still in the planning stage or early stages of creation include:
- The rebirth of the Aquamarines, the first chapter I ever created, which I plan to do as a Primaris army when/if Primaris Drop Pods become available (the raindrop shape suits the army theme, especially if they make the pods more rounded).
- Hive Fleet Charybdis, an aquatic serpentine Tyranid list.
- The Mining Cult, a Genestealer Cults civilian mechanised army.
- The rest of the Quartet of Fools, my Daemon army led by 4 Daemon Princes (I have shown two of them, Influenzant the Epidemic of One and Pandora the Taxic Femininity, here before).
- The Dungeon Keepers, a Khornate Iron Warriors army comprised of Heldrakes and Forgefiends (dragons), Chaos Terminators (knights) and an intricately converted Hellwright on Dark Abeyant, using an old metal Bretonnian Damsel and the Venomcrawler kit (maiden).
- Kain-Mour craftworld, an Eldar aerial heavy firepower army.
- Swift Mercy Cabal, an Incubus list possibly as allies to my Tau pirates.
- Golden Word, a Sisters of Battle list led by a customised Saint from a novel idea I had years ago.

Then there are my armies currently on hiatus - the Scribes of Oblivion chapter and the Medusa V defenders (including my Vostroyan 169th Armoured), and the possibility of me expanding my Necrons, Tau or Orks at some point.

Needless to say I have enough planned to last the rest of my life already, and yet I keep coming up with new ideas.
Last edited by Tethys 13 on Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jetan
Postmaster-General

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Jetan » Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:39 pm

Tethys 13 wrote:The Space Mammoths, of which I posted an image and some of the lore for earlier. Also on my painting desk right now is a squad of Palatine Subjugators, who I plan to paint as Adeptus Arbites with my first proper attempt at directional lighting (which I am quite apprehensive about), and my converted Spined Chaos Beast.
Other projects still in the planning stage or early stages of creation include:
- The rebirth of the Aquamarines, the first chapter I ever created, which I plan to do as a Primaris army when/if Primaris Drop Pods become available (the raindrop shape suits the army theme, especially if they make the pods more rounded).
- Hive Fleet Charybdis, an aquatic serpentine Tyranid list.
- The Mining Cult, a Genestealer Cults civilian mechanised army.
- The rest of the Quartet of Fools, my Daemon army led by 4 Daemon Princes (I have shown two of them, Influenzant the Epidemic of One and Pandora the Taxic Femininity, here before).
- The Dungeon Keepers, a Khornate Iron Warriors army comprised of Heldrakes and Forgefiends (dragons), Chaos Terminators (knights) and an intricately converted Hellwright on Dark Abeyant, using an old metal Bretonnian Damsel and the Venomcrawler kit (maiden).
- Kain-Mour craftworld, an Eldar aerial heavy firepower army.
- Swift Mercy Cabal, an Incubus list possibly as allies to my Tau pirates.
- Golden Word, a Sisters of Battle list led by a customised Saint from a novel idea I had years ago.

Ah yes, I saw the mammoths. Influenzant was great as well.

Tethys 13 wrote:Needless to say I have enough planned to last the rest of my life already, and yet I keep coming up with new ideas.

Ain't that the best and worst part of it!
Second Finn, after Imm
Україна вільна і єдина

Morrdh
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 16, 2008
Democratic Socialists

Postby Morrdh » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:10 pm

So tonight in my Rogue Trader game the players captured a psyker, one that they want to turn into a servitor whilst retaining their full psychic abilities.

Also, one of my players mentioned the bit of lore about the Flesh Tearers chapter reaction to getting Primaris Marines.
Irish/Celtic Themed Nation - Factbook

In your Uplink, hijacking your guard band.

The Biggles Syndicate
Diplomat

Founded: May 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Biggles Syndicate » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:56 pm

Morrdh wrote:So tonight in my Rogue Trader game the players captured a psyker, one that they want to turn into a servitor whilst retaining their full psychic abilities.

Also, one of my players mentioned the bit of lore about the Flesh Tearers chapter reaction to getting Primaris Marines.

I swear, Guy Haley must go to the forums to think up reactions as good as that.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:19 pm

New Psychic Awakening short story involving Custodes vs Primaris Greyshield space marines

This caused all sorts of juicy controversy on reddit's 40klore sub. I think a story like this should have been a full novel instead of just a short story, as i feel it could have used a bit more work to flesh it out a bit more, but i liked it.

Maichuko
Ambassador

Founded: May 02, 2015

Postby Maichuko » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:56 pm

The Huskar Social Union wrote:New Psychic Awakening short story involving Custodes vs Primaris Greyshield space marines

This caused all sorts of juicy controversy on reddit's 40klore sub. I think a story like this should have been a full novel instead of just a short story, as i feel it could have used a bit more work to flesh it out a bit more, but i liked it.

I suppose this is the way well get Renegade Primaris, just have them get fucked by the Imperium instead of Chaos. This reminded me of something Valerian said in Watchers of the Throne about some of his brothers believing that a Space Marine given enough time will always turn traitor and distrust them. It definitely should have been a novel.
Last edited by Maichuko on Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Long Live the Emperor of all Maichukoans! May he live 100 years!
(V)(;,,;)(V) woop woop woop woop

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:42 pm

Maichuko wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:New Psychic Awakening short story involving Custodes vs Primaris Greyshield space marines

I suppose this is the way well get Renegade Primaris, just have them get fucked by the Imperium instead of Chaos. This reminded me of something Valerian said in Watchers of the Throne about some of his brothers believing that a Space Marine given enough time will always turn traitor and distrust them. It definitely should have been a novel.

It's short and to the point.

It's the usual sudden and brutal justice of the imperium laid painfully bare. We just aren't used to seeing it applied to space marines as normally who is around to enforce such measures? A couple of inquisitors and whatever other chapters of space marines they can persuade to the job?
If it were a bunch of guardsman getting BLAM! From thier commissar or marines then it would just have been business as usual but suddenly its the poster boys and we all experience CONCERN!

New renegade but not nessicarily chaos chapters have been heavily sign posted for a while now. A bunch of Blood angels successors have been getting close to crossing the line and some have and the preceeding PA story basically covered a chapter crossing over after getting tired of killing all thier brethren who are suddenly manifesting psykic powers. The custodes are partially right that it's the bonds of brotherhood that will drive marines to cross the line.
The Kingdom of Crookfur
Your ordinary everyday scotiodanavian freedom loving utopia!

And yes I do like big old guns, why do you ask?

Tethys 13
Ambassador

Postby Tethys 13 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:37 am

Crookfur wrote:
Maichuko wrote:I suppose this is the way well get Renegade Primaris, just have them get fucked by the Imperium instead of Chaos. This reminded me of something Valerian said in Watchers of the Throne about some of his brothers believing that a Space Marine given enough time will always turn traitor and distrust them. It definitely should have been a novel.

It's short and to the point.

It's the usual sudden and brutal justice of the imperium laid painfully bare. We just aren't used to seeing it applied to space marines as normally who is around to enforce such measures? A couple of inquisitors and whatever other chapters of space marines they can persuade to the job?
If it were a bunch of guardsman getting BLAM! From thier commissar or marines then it would just have been business as usual but suddenly its the poster boys and we all experience CONCERN!

New renegade but not nessicarily chaos chapters have been heavily sign posted for a while now. A bunch of Blood angels successors have been getting close to crossing the line and some have and the preceeding PA story basically covered a chapter crossing over after getting tired of killing all thier brethren who are suddenly manifesting psykic powers. The custodes are partially right that it's the bonds of brotherhood that will drive marines to cross the line.

I thought it was just a reference to the Mount Ararat incident, where the Custodes culled the Thunder Warriors who had outlived their usefulness.

Impaled Nazarene
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Impaled Nazarene » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:50 am

Is there a reliable place to buy pre-painted and pre-assembled miniatures? I lack the physical dexterity (because disabilities) to do those things myself. The baneblade I'm looking at should be fine given how big it is and its also supposed to be a bonding activity for dad and I, and also GIANT TANKS require less precision painting than tiny soldiers.
Anarchist
Kiaculta wrote:Oh, Kar, you silly sack of shit.
Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Bickering ist krieg.
Infected Mushroom wrote:isn't this a bit extreme?
Finland SSR wrote:"Many dictatorships are oligarchies.
Many democracies are oligarchies.
Therefore, many dictatorships are democracies."

-said no one ever. I made these words up.
Genivaria wrote:"WHY!? Why do this!? Thousands of planets and trillions of innocent lives gone! For what!?"
"It seemed like fun at the time."

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction