NATION

PASSWORD

The Warhammer 40.000/Fantasy Discussion Thread Mk.III

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Sun May 24, 2020 10:13 am

Silent king is looking rather amazing. Also that walker gives me a very War of the Worlds feel.
Fact Book.
Helpful hints on combat vehicle terminology.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Sun May 24, 2020 10:35 am

Space Marine Judicar

And one of the primaris bikes

The primaris marines with the shields and swords are apparently called Bladeguard veterans.
Last edited by The Huskar Social Union on Sun May 24, 2020 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Impaled Nazarene
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Impaled Nazarene » Sun May 24, 2020 2:53 pm

The Huskar Social Union wrote:Space Marine Judicar

The primaris marines with the shields and swords are apparently called Bladeguard veterans.

Last edited by Impaled Nazarene on Sun May 24, 2020 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anarchist
Kiaculta wrote:Oh, Kar, you silly sack of shit.
Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Bickering ist krieg.
Infected Mushroom wrote:isn't this a bit extreme?
Finland SSR wrote:"Many dictatorships are oligarchies.
Many democracies are oligarchies.
Therefore, many dictatorships are democracies."

-said no one ever. I made these words up.
Genivaria wrote:"WHY!? Why do this!? Thousands of planets and trillions of innocent lives gone! For what!?"
"It seemed like fun at the time."

Jetan
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 07, 2011
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Jetan » Mon May 25, 2020 12:17 am

We've started playing WFB again (6th edition) and I'm honestly having more fun than I've had in years with 40K. Since command points are still a thing (and seem to expanding even) in the 9th edition I don't see that changing either.
Second Finn, after Imm
........Геть Росію.........
Україна вільна і єдина
From the moment I understood the weakness of my flesh, it disgusted me.
Beholder's Lair - a hobby blog
32 years old, patriotic Finnish guy interested in history. Hobbies include miniatures, all kinds of games, books, anime and manga.
Always open to TGs. Pro/Against

Ceterum autem censeo Putinem esse delendum

Tethys 13
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 05, 2007
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Tethys 13 » Mon May 25, 2020 12:39 am

Jetan wrote:We've started playing WFB again (6th edition) and I'm honestly having more fun than I've had in years with 40K. Since command points are still a thing (and seem to expanding even) in the 9th edition I don't see that changing either.

Ah, those were the days. I have not purchased any Fantasy models since Age of Sigmar began, and have completed multiple Warhammer 40,000 armies in that time, but my Fantasy collection is still four times the size of my Warhammer 40,000 collection.
The Aquatic Librarian Knights of Tethys 13
Population: >31 Billion
Leaders: The Grand Council
We use NationStates statistics, with some artistic license.

Shanghai industrial complex
Minister

Founded: Feb 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Shanghai industrial complex » Mon May 25, 2020 12:45 am

Wow,the second guy is really cool.Do you have his background story?I want to know the function of that hourglass.
Since I destroyed two boxes of Space Marines, I've known that my hands are not suitable for this work.I envy the official painting.Really want one.
多看空我 仮面ライダークウガをたくさん見てください Watch more Masked Rider Kukuku Kuuga!

Jetan
Postmaster-General

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Jetan » Mon May 25, 2020 1:17 am

Tethys 13 wrote:
Jetan wrote:We've started playing WFB again (6th edition) and I'm honestly having more fun than I've had in years with 40K. Since command points are still a thing (and seem to expanding even) in the 9th edition I don't see that changing either.

Ah, those were the days. I have not purchased any Fantasy models since Age of Sigmar began, and have completed multiple Warhammer 40,000 armies in that time, but my Fantasy collection is still four times the size of my Warhammer 40,000 collection.

40K was always the bigger one for me even though I started with Fantasy because my cousin, who was pretty much my only hobby buddy for a long time, was almost exclusively into 40K so that's what we mostly played. But 40K is in a fairly bad place right now so we're somewhat moving to other systems. Out of our group of 4 I'm burned out on 8th edition, one other guy is pretty much burned out on the whole game, no matter the edition, one guy (aforementioned cousin) likes 8th edition but is fine with playing other editions, and the fourth guy is fine with anything, but doesn't build his own armies and is using armies the rest of us aren't at the moment.
Second Finn, after Imm
Україна вільна і єдина
32 years old, patriotic Finnish guy interested in history. Hobbies include miniatures, all kinds of games, books, anime and manga.

Baltenstein
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Baltenstein » Mon May 25, 2020 2:35 am

Fantasywise, I'm completely satisfied with Kings of War. I took a look at AoS but I found both the over-the-top lore and aesthetics and the rules (which seem to suffer from the same special rules bloat as 40k) unappealing at first glance.

I have little hopes in the new edition of 40k, as I expect GWs do continue bombarding us with new stratagems, special rules and errata on an almost monthly level.

It's nice that they've delayed the old Marines inevitable abolishment a little longer though, even as they continue to release obvious replacements. Is there a single old Marine unit without a direct Primaris equivalent left at this point?
O'er the hills and o'er the main.
Through Flanders, Portugal and Spain.
King George commands and we obey.
Over the hills and far away.

THE NORTH REMEMBERS

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Mon May 25, 2020 3:10 am

Baltenstein wrote:Fantasywise, I'm completely satisfied with Kings of War. I took a look at AoS but I found both the over-the-top lore and aesthetics and the rules (which seem to suffer from the same special rules bloat as 40k) unappealing at first glance.

I have little hopes in the new edition of 40k, as I expect GWs do continue bombarding us with new stratagems, special rules and errata on an almost monthly level.

It's nice that they've delayed the old Marines inevitable abolishment a little longer though, even as they continue to release obvious replacements. Is there a single old Marine unit without a direct Primaris equivalent left at this point?

Terminators? Although gravis plate seems to cover that.

Still no confirmed primaris land speeder but given how the things are shaking out from the el blurovision leak I doubt it will be long until one shows up.

I'm reading The Great Work right now and it seems very much to be setting out the stall for all the "original" marines just being allowed to die off and be expended. It will take a good few centuries to a millennium for them all to die off/Cross the rubicon/ or be intered in dreadnoughts but it'll happen. Off course a big war with the necrons will be a very handy way of speeding the process.
The Kingdom of Crookfur
Your ordinary everyday scotiodanavian freedom loving utopia!

And yes I do like big old guns, why do you ask?

Jetan
Postmaster-General

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Jetan » Mon May 25, 2020 4:00 am

Baltenstein wrote:Fantasywise, I'm completely satisfied with Kings of War. I took a look at AoS but I found both the over-the-top lore and aesthetics and the rules (which seem to suffer from the same special rules bloat as 40k) unappealing at first glance.

How are the rules for KoW? I’ve looked at it a few times but the background seemed so bland I never got round to it. And atleast in the beginning (could be that they’ve gotten better in later years) the best thing that could be said about the minis was that atleast they were cheap.
Second Finn, after Imm
Україна вільна і єдина

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Mon May 25, 2020 5:12 am

Shanghai industrial complex wrote:

Wow,the second guy is really cool.Do you have his background story?I want to know the function of that hourglass.
Since I destroyed two boxes of Space Marines, I've known that my hands are not suitable for this work.I envy the official painting.Really want one.

Im not sure, i think he is associated with the Chaplains given the black get up and im guessing by the design of his weapon he is meant to be an executioner or something?
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Mon May 25, 2020 6:20 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:
Shanghai industrial complex wrote:

Im not sure, i think he is associated with the Chaplains given the black get up and im guessing by the design of his weapon he is meant to be an executioner or something?

May be given the whole physical awakening thing he is to take the weight off the chapter masters in regard to dealing with marines suddenly manifesting powers? Alternatively its to counter necron mind control fuckery. Either way I suspect he is some kind of "its for your own good" insurance unit
The Kingdom of Crookfur

Hirota
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 22, 2004

Postby Hirota » Mon May 25, 2020 8:14 am

Crookfur wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Im not sure, i think he is associated with the Chaplains given the black get up and im guessing by the design of his weapon he is meant to be an executioner or something?

May be given the whole physical awakening thing he is to take the weight off the chapter masters in regard to dealing with marines suddenly manifesting powers? Alternatively its to counter necron mind control fuckery. Either way I suspect he is some kind of "its for your own good" insurance unit

Astartes have had similar roles before.
When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger - Confucius
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted and pedants.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.

Economic Left/Right: -3.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03
Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
I use obviously in italics to emphasise the conveying of sarcasm. If I've put excessive obviously's into a post that means I'm being sarcastic

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Mon May 25, 2020 8:36 am

Hirota wrote:
Crookfur wrote:May be given the whole physical awakening thing he is to take the weight off the chapter masters in regard to dealing with marines suddenly manifesting powers? Alternatively its to counter necron mind control fuckery. Either way I suspect he is some kind of "its for your own good" insurance unit

Astartes have had similar roles before.

Access denied for me. Could you tell me what the article says?

Baltenstein
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Baltenstein » Mon May 25, 2020 8:44 am

Jetan wrote:

How are the rules for KoW? I’ve looked at it a few times but the background seemed so bland I never got round to it. And atleast in the beginning (could be that they’ve gotten better in later years) the best thing that could be said about the minis was that atleast they were cheap.

For me, the rules are just what I was looking for. Streamlined, easy to learn, hard to master. With a couple of exceptions for unique characters, the same special rule names apply across all the factions. Gameplay is primarily about positioning and outflanking but there is of course enough variety for a unique playstyle for every different faction (some factions are good with terrain, others with shooting, others with cheap cannon fodder etc). Models are definitely getting better (just compare their new Chaos Dwarfs with their old Dwarfs)...

...but you can use whatever models you want anyways. Most of my gaming group has repurposed their old WHFB armies for KoW.
Last edited by Baltenstein on Mon May 25, 2020 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

THE NORTH REMEMBERS

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Mon May 25, 2020 9:20 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:

Access denied for me. Could you tell me what the article says?

Its an article about the old marine "field police" markings that appeared in rogue trader and got retconned/ adapted as legion consuls in the horus heresy stuff

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Legion_Consul
The Kingdom of Crookfur

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Mon May 25, 2020 10:02 am

Crookfur wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Access denied for me. Could you tell me what the article says?

Its an article about the old marine "field police" markings that appeared in rogue trader and got retconned/ adapted as legion consuls in the horus heresy stuff

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Legion_Consul

Neat

Tethys 13
Ambassador

Postby Tethys 13 » Mon May 25, 2020 11:03 am

I cannot take that Judicar seriously when he looks like Twice from My Hero Academia.

Baltenstein
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Baltenstein » Mon May 25, 2020 2:51 pm

Tethys 13 wrote:I cannot take that Judicar seriously when he looks like Twice from My Hero Academia.

He also has some sort of "too late for work, no time to put my clothes on properly" thing going on.

THE NORTH REMEMBERS

Jetan
Postmaster-General

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Jetan » Mon May 25, 2020 11:31 pm

Also, the sword is stupid.

Baltenstein wrote:
Jetan wrote:How are the rules for KoW? I’ve looked at it a few times but the background seemed so bland I never got round to it. And atleast in the beginning (could be that they’ve gotten better in later years) the best thing that could be said about the minis was that atleast they were cheap.

For me, the rules are just what I was looking for. Streamlined, easy to learn, hard to master. With a couple of exceptions for unique characters, the same special rule names apply across all the factions. Gameplay is primarily about positioning and outflanking but there is of course enough variety for a unique playstyle for every different faction (some factions are good with terrain, others with shooting, others with cheap cannon fodder etc). Models are definitely getting better (just compare their new Chaos Dwarfs with their old Dwarfs)...

...but you can use whatever models you want anyways. Most of my gaming group has repurposed their old WHFB armies for KoW.

Interesting. How are Dark elves in KoW, crunch wise?
Second Finn, after Imm
Україна вільна і єдина

Tethys 13
Ambassador

Postby Tethys 13 » Tue May 26, 2020 1:22 am

Jetan wrote:Also, the sword is stupid.

The sword is the only thing I like about the model, I adore Executioner's swords. Not exactly the most practical for combat, but they can still be quite brutal.
Last edited by Tethys 13 on Tue May 26, 2020 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jetan
Postmaster-General

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Jetan » Tue May 26, 2020 1:54 am

Tethys 13 wrote:
Jetan wrote:Also, the sword is stupid.

The sword is the only thing I like about the model, I adore Executioner's swords. Not exactly the most practical for combat, but they can still be quite brutal.

Yeah, but they're specifically designed to capitate a stationary victim and not for combat. Admittedly it's somewhat silly thing to gripe about considering impracticality is pretty much an integral part of 40K, but still.
Second Finn, after Imm
Україна вільна і єдина

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Tue May 26, 2020 11:36 am

OK so I need to take my muse out the back and hit it with a stick after it latched onto the idea of either starting a Primaris White Scars army after we got the new Outriders, or starting a Primaris Imperial Fists army because going back to my 40K roots since IF was my 3E army.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Dylar
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dylar » Tue May 26, 2020 11:47 am

Vassenor wrote:OK so I need to take my muse out the back and hit it with a stick after it latched onto the idea of either starting a Primaris White Scars army after we got the new Outriders, or starting a Primaris Imperial Fists army because going back to my 40K roots since IF was my 3E army.

Why not both?
St. Albert the Great wrote:"Natural science does not consist in ratifying what others have said, but in seeking the causes of phenomena."
Franko Tildon wrote:Fire washes the skin off the bone and the sin off the soul. It cleans away the dirt. And my momma didn't raise herself no dirty boy.

Pro: Life, Catholic, religious freedom, guns
Against: gun control, abortion, militant atheism
Interests: Video Games, Military History, Catholic theology, Sci-Fi, and Table-Top Miniatures games
Favorite music genres: Metal, Drinking songs, Polka, Military Marches, Hardbass, and Movie/Video Game soundtracks

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Tue May 26, 2020 11:56 am

Dylar wrote:
Vassenor wrote:OK so I need to take my muse out the back and hit it with a stick after it latched onto the idea of either starting a Primaris White Scars army after we got the new Outriders, or starting a Primaris Imperial Fists army because going back to my 40K roots since IF was my 3E army.

Why not both?

...curse you and your filthy templar logic
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction