NATION

PASSWORD

The Warhammer 40.000/Fantasy Discussion Thread Mk.III

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:20 am

Crookfur wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:I always thought the Angry Marines were too cringey for my tastes.

I just like the silliness

I get that, nothing wrong it like. Just wasnt my thing personally.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Jetan
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 07, 2011
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Jetan » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:21 pm

Tethys 13 wrote:
Chan Island wrote:
Don't forget being given the most goddamn most expensive equipment the imperium can provide, stuff that even the astartes have to scrounge and hold closely. All that so that... they can only fight demons, instead of everyone.

Not to mention that the Grey Knights have a huge boast about none of their members ever falling to chaos... when the Sisters of Battle are an organisation millions of times larger, that are actually competent at fighting against every enemy the Imperium can throw at them, and yet have only had one person willingly fall to chaos.

The exorcists are just a better fighting force than the Grey Knights in every way that counts.

One of my old (and not yet fully abandoned) army ideas was a Chaos Warband called the Death Knights led by a fallen Grey Knight. I came up with a situation where that would be a possibility - A particularly arrogant, violent and secretive Grey Knight was wounded by a servant of Nurgle badly enough to be forced into suspended animation, thus reducing his strength of will. The diseased weapon also damaged the wards beneath his skin, leaving him vulnerable. Finally, their ship's Gellar Field and that Grey Knight's medical chamber in particular were sabotaged by the Changeling right when the Great Rift opened with the ship in the middle, thus exposing him to the entirety of Chaos in that weakened state. To answer why the Changeling was able to hide on a Grey Knights ship, I will direct your attention to that time the Changeling managed to fool the entire Dark Angels upper echelon, including a Librarian actively reading its mind.
That is enough to satisfy me at least, and if people were to object, I would not care. I would much rather play a single controversial Chaos Grey Knight than an army of normal ones.

This was the concept model I painted for the warband:

I would also like to point out that the Vostroyans are mistrusted for choosing to defend their planet rather than choose a side in the Horus Heresy, yet as far as I know there has never been a confirmed Vostroyan heretic in the lore.

To be honest I'm not fan of outright breaking established fluff (bending it is fine), but ultimately they're your models, so if you want to have a chaos grey knight go for it.

Crookfur wrote:Emperor's pointy sticks

I see you're a man of culture as well.
Second Finn, after Imm
........Геть Росію.........
Україна вільна і єдина
From the moment I understood the weakness of my flesh, it disgusted me.
Beholder's Lair - a hobby blog
32 years old, patriotic Finnish guy interested in history. Hobbies include miniatures, all kinds of games, books, anime and manga.
Always open to TGs. Pro/Against

Ceterum autem censeo Putinem esse delendum

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:04 am

Whats that one Blood Angels successor that they all hated and Dante was not happy with when they showed up at Baal to help fight the Tyranids?

I dont know why this is in my head but its driving me insane and im getting lost in their vast sea of spin offs they have, its all blending together into one big group of Blood Knight Charnel Encarmine Tearer Angels
Last edited by The Huskar Social Union on Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:35 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:Whats that one Blood Angels successor that they all hated and Dante was not happy with when they showed up at Baal to help fight the Tyranids?

I dont know why this is in my head but its driving me insane and im getting lost in their vast sea of spin offs they have, its all blending together into one big group of Blood Knight Charnel Encarmine Tearer Angels

Doesn't really narrow it down. Like every Blood Angel successor chapter but the Lamentors were there.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:40 am

Ameriganastan wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Whats that one Blood Angels successor that they all hated and Dante was not happy with when they showed up at Baal to help fight the Tyranids?

Doesn't really narrow it down. Like every Blood Angel successor chapter but the Lamentors were there.

Balls.

Ill see if i can find them on lexicanum again.

Tethys 13
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 05, 2007
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Tethys 13 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:42 am

Knights of Blood? They were the ones who were officially declared renegades, at least.
Last edited by Tethys 13 on Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Aquatic Librarian Knights of Tethys 13
Population: >31 Billion
Leaders: The Grand Council
We use NationStates statistics, with some artistic license.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:45 am

Tethys 13 wrote:

Knights of Blood? They were the ones who were officially declared renegades, at least.

Yes thats them! Thanks.

Immoren
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2010
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Immoren » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:39 am

I was thinking about in-lore out-of-game space marice task force/battlegroup composition and I had one thought about their artillery. I know I'm taking this too seriously. But I don't know why it started to bother me that modern Astartes don't have mortars and tube artillery of their own that carries fast enough. I mean they have thunderfire cannons, but it doesn't look like it'd move along advance fast enough unless you continously load and unload it to other vehicles and whirlwind feels like it doesn't have place in modern structure really. Or maybe MLR that can demolish larger units (out of game) at oppurtune moments is what such tiny force needs. But I guess in lore marines rely more or occasional ground attack from flyers and from orbital ships IC and I guess lack of (mole) mortars and not basilisks is to differentiate from IG on tabletop. lol
IC Flag Is a Pope Principia
discoursedrome wrote:everyone knows that quote, "I know not what weapons World War Three will be fought, but World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones," but in a way it's optimistic and inspiring because it suggests that even after destroying civilization and returning to the stone age we'll still be sufficiently globalized and bellicose to have another world war right then and there

Tethys 13
Ambassador

Postby Tethys 13 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:19 pm

Immoren wrote:I was thinking about in-lore out-of-game space marice task force/battlegroup composition and I had one thought about their artillery. I know I'm taking this too seriously. But I don't know why it started to bother me that modern Astartes don't have mortars and tube artillery of their own that carries fast enough. I mean they have thunderfire cannons, but it doesn't look like it'd move along advance fast enough unless you continously load and unload it to other vehicles and whirlwind feels like it doesn't have place in modern structure really. Or maybe MLR that can demolish larger units (out of game) at oppurtune moments is what such tiny force needs. But I guess in lore marines rely more or occasional ground attack from flyers and from orbital ships IC and I guess lack of (mole) mortars and not basilisks is to differentiate from IG on tabletop. lol

I think it is because Space Marines are not meant for that kind of warfare. They are a shock assault force meant to strike and destroy the enemy swiftly and unstoppably, not to hang back and fire cautious shots at out-of-sight targets. It is worth noting that Space Marines in the tabletop game are pathetically weak compared to their lore depictions, in which they behave far differently than would be wise on the tabletop. They do not get into cover and fire from a concealed position, they want the enemy to see a two-and-a-half metre tall walking tank coming for them firing a full-automatic armour-piercing rocket-propelled grenade launcher.
I would love to see Iron Warriors get personal mortars though. I think backpack-mounted ones would look great.
Last edited by Tethys 13 on Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:39 am

The Space Wolves sent to monitor each legion got the short end of the stick something fierce.

Blood Angels: All dead either because of Demons or the Angels themselves on Signus Prime.
Raven Guard: Killed by the Raptors fearing they would try and kill Corax
Ultramarines: Mostly died fighting Kurze
Nightlords: All but one killed by Kurze
Imperial Fists: Sat around for a bit before going home
Dark Angels: Never showed up?
Alpha Legion: All Killed.

All the others: I presume Death.

Man, bad day to be a Wolf boy.

Tethys 13
Ambassador

Postby Tethys 13 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:39 am

I have finished the concept scheme for my Space Mammoths chapter, pictured below. I purchased the original model a decade and a half or so ago, and have repainted it a few times since then, so I could not avoid a certain splotchiness.

I am trying to think of how to show company variations, since they all wear Terminator armour which lacks rims on the shoulderpads. My ideas are:
1. Colour the right pauldron in company colours
2. Colour the tab at the bottom of the pauldrons in company colours
3. Colour the Crux Terminatus in company colours (or perhaps just the vertical/horizontal part, not the skull or crossed bones)
4. Add furs, chains or totems dyed in company colours
5. Colour the arch over the helmet in company colours

Any thoughts on my scheme, chapter badge and dilemma would be greatly appreciated.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:41 am

Wait does the whole chapter wear Terminator Armour?

Damn the Highlords must love them.

Tethys 13
Ambassador

Postby Tethys 13 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:46 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:Wait does the whole chapter wear Terminator Armour?

The lore is that they are White Scars successors who inherited the lack of presence of their parent legion to such a degree that they are almost always forgotten about, which worked in their favour when the entire Imperium's supply of new Terminator Armour for the decade was accidentally delivered to their homeworld due to a bureaucratic mishap, because no-one could remember what had happened to it so it was assumed lost and they found themselves with enough Terminator Armour for their entire chapter. Since they rarely receive any supplies from outside (due to the same thing), they decided not to look a gift horse in the mouth.
They have in fact been part of most of the major campaigns in the Imperium's history, but chroniclers keep forgetting to include them.

Impaled Nazarene
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Impaled Nazarene » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:34 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:Wait does the whole chapter wear Terminator Armour?

Almost as much as the Mechanicus
Anarchist
Kiaculta wrote:Oh, Kar, you silly sack of shit.
Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Bickering ist krieg.
Infected Mushroom wrote:isn't this a bit extreme?
Finland SSR wrote:"Many dictatorships are oligarchies.
Many democracies are oligarchies.
Therefore, many dictatorships are democracies."

-said no one ever. I made these words up.
Genivaria wrote:"WHY!? Why do this!? Thousands of planets and trillions of innocent lives gone! For what!?"
"It seemed like fun at the time."

Shanghai industrial complex
Minister

Founded: Feb 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Shanghai industrial complex » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:44 pm

Jetan wrote:
Tethys 13 wrote:
One of my old (and not yet fully abandoned) army ideas was a Chaos Warband called the Death Knights led by a fallen Grey Knight. I came up with a situation where that would be a possibility - A particularly arrogant, violent and secretive Grey Knight was wounded by a servant of Nurgle badly enough to be forced into suspended animation, thus reducing his strength of will. The diseased weapon also damaged the wards beneath his skin, leaving him vulnerable. Finally, their ship's Gellar Field and that Grey Knight's medical chamber in particular were sabotaged by the Changeling right when the Great Rift opened with the ship in the middle, thus exposing him to the entirety of Chaos in that weakened state. To answer why the Changeling was able to hide on a Grey Knights ship, I will direct your attention to that time the Changeling managed to fool the entire Dark Angels upper echelon, including a Librarian actively reading its mind.
That is enough to satisfy me at least, and if people were to object, I would not care. I would much rather play a single controversial Chaos Grey Knight than an army of normal ones.

This was the concept model I painted for the warband:

I would also like to point out that the Vostroyans are mistrusted for choosing to defend their planet rather than choose a side in the Horus Heresy, yet as far as I know there has never been a confirmed Vostroyan heretic in the lore.

To be honest I'm not fan of outright breaking established fluff (bending it is fine), but ultimately they're your models, so if you want to have a chaos grey knight go for it.

Crookfur wrote:Emperor's pointy sticks

I see you're a man of culture as well.

But in one novel, a grey knight's Spiritual defense line is broken through by tyron bugs.
多看空我 仮面ライダークウガをたくさん見てください Watch more Masked Rider Kukuku Kuuga!

Tethys 13
Ambassador

Postby Tethys 13 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:29 am

I have had a thought regarding a possible direction for the Tau. At the moment, there are five factions capable of becoming the dominant power in the galaxy - the Imperium, Chaos, the Orks, the Necrons and the Tyranids. They should all be roughly equal, but due to favouritism and bad writing are not depicted so. Then we have three 'wild card' factions, who are not capable of dominating the galaxy but can under certain circumstances hold influence comparable to the above - Tau, Eldar and Dark Eldar. The problem is, while the Eldar and Dark Eldar work as wild cards, the Tau are too localised and small. Put simply, the Tau are not scattered across the galaxy enough to be like the Eldar, but there are far too few of them for them to be like the Necrons. They are beginning to expand in the former category thanks to their definitely-not-Stargates, but they still do not have the right feel for that. There are however ways to make them a faction that can produce sufficient numbers to constitute a galactic threat, and they are ones that works very well with the Tau aesthetic - scientifically advanced, accepting of other forms of life, ethically ambiguous - those being cloning and Artificial Intelligence. The fastest way to make the Tau relevant would be to have them churn out vast numbers of clones and drones, and now would be the time, what with the return of Bob.
I seriously doubt they will do this however, they are far more likely to just keep saying "Buy Tau, they are relevant, honest, just look at how they are getting mauled by Death Guard who are getting nothing new because we already gave them all of their shiny new things when we had them fighting the Imperium in a battle that actually mattered".

Speaking of making factions into galactic threats, was that not supposed to be what the Ynnari were for? Giving the Eldar a chance to rise to dominance once more even as half-ghosts? I have not heard of them succeeding at anything relevant lately.
Last edited by Tethys 13 on Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jetan
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 07, 2011
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Jetan » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:28 am

Tethys 13 wrote:Speaking of making factions into galactic threats, was that not supposed to be what the Ynnari were for? Giving the Eldar a chance to rise to dominance once more even as half-ghosts? I have not heard of them succeeding at anything relevant lately.

It doesn't help that when they came out they made them pretty strong on the tabletop, and then nerfed them to oblivion.
Second Finn, after Imm
........Геть Росію.........
Україна вільна і єдина
From the moment I understood the weakness of my flesh, it disgusted me.
Beholder's Lair - a hobby blog
32 years old, patriotic Finnish guy interested in history. Hobbies include miniatures, all kinds of games, books, anime and manga.
Always open to TGs. Pro/Against

Ceterum autem censeo Putinem esse delendum

Shanghai industrial complex
Minister

Founded: Feb 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Shanghai industrial complex » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:33 am

Jetan wrote:
Tethys 13 wrote:Speaking of making factions into galactic threats, was that not supposed to be what the Ynnari were for? Giving the Eldar a chance to rise to dominance once more even as half-ghosts? I have not heard of them succeeding at anything relevant lately.

It doesn't help that when they came out they made them pretty strong on the tabletop, and then nerfed them to oblivion.

Strong background is weak on the desktop, weak background is strong on the desktop.Waaaaaaagh!
多看空我 仮面ライダークウガをたくさん見てください Watch more Masked Rider Kukuku Kuuga!

The Armed Republic of Dutch Coolness
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Armed Republic of Dutch Coolness » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:06 am

Jetan wrote:

And then the part that ' their' expansion book for Psychic Awakening is just them all getting owned by one Greater Daemon and everything failing.
P2TM Mentor
TG me!
Discord available on request as well
Or join the Mentor Discord server!

Such a cool time I select, looking out my window, and that's that

The worlding of the words is AMARANTH.

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:31 pm

Does anyone know any worthwhile, obscure space marine chapters?
Hoppean Libertarian, Acolyte of von Mises, Protector of Our Sacred Liberties
Economic Left/Right: 9.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05
Conserative Morality wrote:"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Hoppe."

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:37 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:Does anyone know any worthwhile, obscure space marine chapters?

What's your definition of worthwhile? Like a cool color scheme or something?
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:48 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:Does anyone know any worthwhile, obscure space marine chapters?

What's your definition of worthwhile? Like a cool color scheme or something?

Yeah. The Celebrants seem unique as far as I can tell.
Hoppean Libertarian, Acolyte of von Mises, Protector of Our Sacred Liberties
Economic Left/Right: 9.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05
Conserative Morality wrote:"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Hoppe."

Tethys 13
Ambassador

Postby Tethys 13 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:13 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:What's your definition of worthwhile? Like a cool color scheme or something?

Yeah. The Celebrants seem unique as far as I can tell.

The Excoriators are fun if you do not mind painting a ridiculous amount of battle damage. The White Panthers and Mortifactors have quite intricate schemes, while the Black Guard look complex but have a badge that would not be too hard to freehand.
Nothing quite as rare as the Celebrants, however. For that you would have to look quite far back, the truly ugly colour schemes of the early Executioners and the Tiger Claws for example.

Last edited by Tethys 13 on Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dylar
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dylar » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:56 pm

Got a few more space marine sets to put together and then I'll probably start painting all of them. Unless my older brother used all the paint for his necrons and scaven minis
St. Albert the Great wrote:"Natural science does not consist in ratifying what others have said, but in seeking the causes of phenomena."
Franko Tildon wrote:Fire washes the skin off the bone and the sin off the soul. It cleans away the dirt. And my momma didn't raise herself no dirty boy.

Pro: Life, Catholic, religious freedom, guns
Against: gun control, abortion, militant atheism
Interests: Video Games, Military History, Catholic theology, Sci-Fi, and Table-Top Miniatures games
Favorite music genres: Metal, Drinking songs, Polka, Military Marches, Hardbass, and Movie/Video Game soundtracks

The Biggles Syndicate
Diplomat

Founded: May 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Biggles Syndicate » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:02 pm

Tethys 13 wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:Yeah. The Celebrants seem unique as far as I can tell.

The Excoriators are fun if you do not mind painting a ridiculous amount of battle damage. The White Panthers and Mortifactors have quite intricate schemes, while the Black Guard look complex but have a badge that would not be too hard to freehand.
Nothing quite as rare as the Celebrants, however. For that you would have to look quite far back, the truly ugly colour schemes of the early Executioners and the Tiger Claws for example.

No wonder so many of Chaos' servants have bright red eyes

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction