NATION

PASSWORD

What moments in entertainment do you find to be sneaky-good?

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.
New Trumania
Political Columnist

Founded: Jan 20, 2019
Ex-Nation

What moments in entertainment do you find to be sneaky-good?

Postby New Trumania » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:18 pm

This is a thread asking the fine nations of NationStates which moments in entertainment (that is to say literature, music, film, television or other medium) do you find to be sneakily good, by which I mean managing to be excellent moments but not necessarily the centerpiece of the scene? My example for this is a moment in Bo Burnham's recent film Eighth Grade when a nervous and anxious Kayla is being driven to the mall by her father and she tells him to stop acting so weird and quiet, and says that repeatedly, until the last time she says it, in which she says for him to stop acting so weird and sad, as opposed to quiet. This was a moment that I always found very special for the scene because it hints at some more emotional nuance that the film is littered with, while not being explicit about it. Discuss

Little Tin Hat
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Little Tin Hat » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:22 pm

So you are after moments which don't overshadow the plot. A kind of aside which makes you smile or whatever whilst the story continues unabated and is a little drop of sunshine?

Nope, can't help you. But, if I come across one of these beasties I'll pop it in this thread.

- just me looking for clarification as I need this written in big letters for me to begin to understand-
Last edited by Little Tin Hat on Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New Trumania
Political Columnist

Founded: Jan 20, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby New Trumania » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:59 pm

Little Tin Hat wrote:So you are after moments which don't overshadow the plot. A kind of aside which makes you smile or whatever whilst the story continues unabated and is a little drop of sunshine?

Nope, can't help you. But, if I come across one of these beasties I'll pop it in this thread.

- just me looking for clarification as I need this written in big letters for me to begin to understand-

Yep you nailed it. Thanks for posting :)

Forlania
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Forlania » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:53 pm

In the song "The World is Crowded by Unknown Mortal Orchestra (from the album Multi-Love), when he sings, "With each eye on a different sun
She made me watch Evangelion
In another life did she blow my brains out?".

The way his vocal trails off into nothing on the final line & the instrumental is allowed a brief moment of pause for the emotion expressed to not only sink in, but also to cut deeper with the lack of musical release.
Economic Left/Right: -4.0
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.38

Centauri Central News: Comet SX389 is expected to make a pass near the binary system on Tuesday. Officials recommend tourists stay out of the immediate area & recommend checking the FASA website for safe viewing coordinates.

Stiltball
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 14, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Stiltball » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:31 am

sounds worth a listen.

I find episodes of call the midwife usually have some moments that raise a smile or cause a tear to well up in the corner of yor eye: sometimes both at the same time.

Return to Arts & Fiction