NATION

PASSWORD

Why isn't Rock 'mainstream' anymore

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Havarland
Envoy

Founded: Nov 24, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Havarland » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:34 am

New haven america wrote:
Dumb Ideologies wrote:Affirmative action programs and white presenters' liberal guilt means that those making radio playlists see synthesised music auto-tune talked over by black people as more "authentic" and "real" than bands mainly made up of white people playing real instruments.

You should check out a really white area of the US then, because it's super common for stations to edit out black people from songs.

But white people are a minority in The US nowadays and they will be in the future as well.

Sapientia Et Bellum
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 10, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sapientia Et Bellum » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:34 am

No genre is truly dead until people stop creating it tbh... Im an amateur jazz musician (college level jazz band) and I have met so many incredible people that our enthusiastic about the genre so I cant really say its dead tbh nor do I want it to be considered dead
Il Duce Gianfranco Fini
"We are fascists, the heirs of fascism, the fascism of the year 2000" - Il Duce Gianfranco Fini

Economics Major (My ideals swing wildly between the parties occasionally due to my current education), Pro Interventionism, Pro NATO, Anti UN, Capitalist, Anti Russia, Anti China (Tariffs are still dumb though), and pro libertarian equality
In The Long Run, We Are All Dead

Havarland
Envoy

Founded: Nov 24, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Havarland » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:38 am

Sapientia Et Bellum wrote:No genre is truly dead until people stop creating it tbh... Im an amateur jazz musician (college level jazz band) and I have met so many incredible people that our enthusiastic about the genre so I cant really say its dead tbh nor do I want it to be considered dead

I agree, but Jazz isn't mainstream. Rock as in genre isn't dead, but it's not mainstream anymore.

Neo Kerala
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 24, 2018
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Neo Kerala » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:41 am

Metallica is still alive though...Oh yeah it's metal
she/her
NS stats are not accurate.

The Republic of the Popular Councils of Neo Kerala is a Marxist-Leninist-Maoist state. Founded in 1948 after our NatDem Revolution, we took the side of the PRC and Marxism-Leninism (Mao Zedong Thought) during the Sino-Soviet split. After the Hua-Deng coup, we joined the RIM, and followed the shining path of Marxism-Leninism-Maoism. We struggled against old and modern revisionism and uphold the Marxism-Leninism-Maoism, mainly Maoism, also held by our Comrades in Peru, Turkey and Brazil, and support the PPWs in India and the Philippines. Long Live People's War! People's War until Communism!

(All ideologies used by this nation is held by this nation alone and does not necessarily represent actual beliefs held or not held by me.)

Neo Kerala
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 24, 2018
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Neo Kerala » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:42 am

New haven america wrote:A. A lot of rock in the 2000's was pretty shit
B. Rock stopped being the music of rebellion because almost everyone listened to it, while Rap took it's place as rebellious music that your parents hated you listening to
C. Pop and dance songs have been calculated to hell and back to sell the most albums and singles as humanly possible

True
she/her
NS stats are not accurate.

The Republic of the Popular Councils of Neo Kerala is a Marxist-Leninist-Maoist state. Founded in 1948 after our NatDem Revolution, we took the side of the PRC and Marxism-Leninism (Mao Zedong Thought) during the Sino-Soviet split. After the Hua-Deng coup, we joined the RIM, and followed the shining path of Marxism-Leninism-Maoism. We struggled against old and modern revisionism and uphold the Marxism-Leninism-Maoism, mainly Maoism, also held by our Comrades in Peru, Turkey and Brazil, and support the PPWs in India and the Philippines. Long Live People's War! People's War until Communism!

(All ideologies used by this nation is held by this nation alone and does not necessarily represent actual beliefs held or not held by me.)

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:04 pm

Havarland wrote:
Sapientia Et Bellum wrote:No genre is truly dead until people stop creating it tbh... Im an amateur jazz musician (college level jazz band) and I have met so many incredible people that our enthusiastic about the genre so I cant really say its dead tbh nor do I want it to be considered dead

I agree, but Jazz isn't mainstream. Rock as in genre isn't dead, but it's not mainstream anymore.

From reading this thread, it seems that rock will always have a place in album sales, even it it's not number one.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Dresderstan
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 18, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Dresderstan » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:00 am

Times have changed and so have the people, rock stopped being mainstream years if not a couple decades ago. While the rock bands of old get old, despite still selling well and their critical success, they are almost unable to compete with younger, fresher artists and more popular genres of today. The music industry is quite cutthroat and fast changing, and sadly rock isn't one of the genres that are able to change fast enough. Not to mention the climate of today's music has changed so much since rock was the mainstream. Today it's all about trap rap and hip-hop that's dominating, with some pop and EDM songs to fill in that airplay gap, and a very small handful of other smaller indie rock and alternative rock bands, if you can even consider them rock though. Yes their albums can sell well, but the albums and singles cannot compete with other artists, and sadly, they haven't adapted to what the industry is like now.

Ther Sul Citzpacia
Attaché

Founded: Aug 14, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Ther Sul Citzpacia » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:15 am

I thought rock and roll's appeal was about not being mainstream, being rebellious and not giving a f#.
Most of it maybe cliche'd and old hat these days but some of the stuff still get's you in the gut.

maybe the hippies had it right?
tune in, drop out and start ben and jerries.
who are still chillin' after all these years.

Augustan America
Attaché

Founded: Feb 24, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Augustan America » Wed May 08, 2019 6:38 pm

Dumb Ideologies wrote:Affirmative action programs and white presenters' liberal guilt means that those making radio playlists see synthesised music auto-tune talked over by black people as more "authentic" and "real" than bands mainly made up of white people playing real instruments.

This take is so dumb lmao. Do you think affirmative action programs or white presenter's "liberal guilt" is what made black jazz musicians in the 20's and 30's popular? Additionally, what makes "real instruments" intrinsically better than auto-tune or an 808? I'd argue that there are countless examples of hip hop music that are much more authentic and real than anything produced by rock musicians.
YEAR- MMCIV | 2104
PMT
Current Praesidis is Caesar Adams Divi Filus Augustus Dominicus
Political compass (Econ-Social)- -9.13, -9.59
PRO- ANTIFA, LGBTQ+ rights, Bernie, Frank Ocean, Travis Scott, Anarcho-Communism, Poltical Correctness, Brockhampton, Tyler the Creator, AOC
ANTI- USA/Russia/China governments, capitalism, Trump, Conservatism, Eminem, Lil Dicky, Centrism, Republican Party, Democrat Party, neoliberalism, fascism, Elon Musk

Fedel
Minister

Founded: Mar 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Fedel » Wed May 08, 2019 6:43 pm

Victorious Decepticons
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 15, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Victorious Decepticons » Wed May 08, 2019 6:46 pm

Indo-Malaysia wrote:Hip-Hop and Pop currently top the charts, sitting in the throne once held for a long time.

My question is: what happened?

People finally got enough foam out of their ears to realize that rock sucks, so they dumped it. Unfortunately, they simultaneously got even more powerful ear plugs jammed in their ear holes, causing them to replace rock with the even-worse rap and the perennially sucky pop.

I await the day when people take ALL of their earplugs out, and finally realize the glory of Classic Country. Only then shall good music reign over the Earth.
No war RPs; no open RPs.

Explosive .50 cal shells vs. Decepticons: REAL, IRL PROOF the Decepticons would laugh at them - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeVTZlNQfPA
Newaswa wrote:What is the greatest threat to your nation?
Vallermoore wrote:The Victorious Decepticons.

Bluquse wrote:Imperialist, aggressive, and genociding aliens or interdimensional beings that would most likely slaughter or enslave us
rather than meet up to have a talk. :(

TurtleShroom wrote:Also, like any sane, civilized nation, we always consider the Victorious Decepticons a clear, present, and obvious threat we must respect, honor, and leave alone in all circumstances. Always fear the Victorious Decepticons.

The Huskar Social Union wrote: ... massive empires of genocidal machines.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Wed May 08, 2019 6:55 pm

Amuaplye wrote:I wouldn't say that. We have OneRepublic, Imagine Dragons, fun, The Chainsmokers, Fall Out Boy, Panic! at the Disco, Gorillaz, Twenty-One Pilots, etc.

Yeah, noticed a similarity here?

Except for Gorillaz, they're all miserable and not fun.

I personally think that post-grunge has sucked the fun and the awesome out of rock and roll and replaced it with dreary depressive self-obsession, including our sad attempts at edge thanks to grindcore.

The same thing is happening to rap and pop, ironically enough: emo-rap and sad dance music permeate the charts.

Even Gorillaz isn't immune to airy, sad filler, but heir introspective, assertive approach to rap and pop is what more people need to do.

Jamie Hewlett rotating so many influences is an amazing idea. It keeps Gorillaz's music dynamic as opposed to the reactive nonsense of so many rappers and pop singers.

In conclusion, I don't care what anybody says, for all of the filler songs like Andromeda, Saturnz Bar is an amazing track for an amazing album. Admittedly, the songs that don't work really don't work, but the ones that do REALLY work.
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Indo-Malaysia
Minister

Founded: Nov 07, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Indo-Malaysia » Wed May 08, 2019 10:45 pm

Fedel wrote:Boy, what you talkin' bout: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxbT5jSxGJ0

I’ve already listened to Led Zeppelin
Tsar of the Order of the Southern North.
The Midnight Order guy

Winner of the Best Delegate of Warzone Africa award

Fedel
Minister

Founded: Mar 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Fedel » Thu May 09, 2019 7:26 am

Indo-Malaysia wrote:
Fedel wrote:Boy, what you talkin' bout: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxbT5jSxGJ0

I’ve already listened to Led Zeppelin

Hurr durr. Good one.

Latin Islands
Envoy

Founded: Nov 29, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Latin Islands » Thu May 30, 2019 6:11 pm

Victorious Decepticons wrote:
Indo-Malaysia wrote:Hip-Hop and Pop currently top the charts, sitting in the throne once held for a long time.

My question is: what happened?

People finally got enough foam out of their ears to realize that rock sucks, so they dumped it. Unfortunately, they simultaneously got even more powerful ear plugs jammed in their ear holes, causing them to replace rock with the even-worse rap and the perennially sucky pop.

I await the day when people take ALL of their earplugs out, and finally realize the glory of Classic Country. Only then shall good music reign over the Earth.

Don't country singles occasionally gain mainstream attention regardless of the decade?
Augustan America wrote:

This take is so dumb lmao. Do you think affirmative action programs or white presenter's "liberal guilt" is what made black jazz musicians in the 20's and 30's popular? Additionally, what makes "real instruments" intrinsically better than auto-tune or an 808? I'd argue that there are countless examples of hip hop music that are much more authentic and real than anything produced by rock musicians.

Totally not surprising given you're into hip-hop.

Agreed.
IC:
The Federation of Latin Islands
"D'un océan à l'autre"
A parliamentary democracy in The West Pacific.
OOC:
Have you experienced something so nostalgic that it hurts?
Likes animated series. Dislikes overgeneralizations.

Research Outpost 31
Secretary

Founded: Jun 11, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Research Outpost 31 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:28 am

Luziyca wrote:the demographics of people who enjoyed rock music are getting older?

today's new grandparents

So according to this I'm a 13 year old grandparent.

Indo-Malaysia
Minister

Founded: Nov 07, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Indo-Malaysia » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:47 am

Research Outpost 31 wrote:
Luziyca wrote:the demographics of people who enjoyed rock music are getting older?

today's new grandparents

I’d be highly concerned if that were the case.
Tsar of the Order of the Southern North.
The Midnight Order guy

Winner of the Best Delegate of Warzone Africa award

Research Outpost 31
Secretary

Founded: Jun 11, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Research Outpost 31 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:54 am

Indo-Malaysia wrote:
Research Outpost 31 wrote:

I’d be highly concerned if that were the case.

I was joking. :D

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction