NATION

PASSWORD

The Golden Snitch Writing Contest

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.
Department of Mysteries
Secretary

Founded: Dec 15, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Department of Mysteries » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:05 pm

We will be accepting entries until 12/29/2018
Event Discord

Write a short story, poem, academic treatise, one-shot, cross-over, parody, or other piece inspired by the alchemical world created by J.K. Rowling!

Guidelines:
1. Be familiar with the site rules which apply here. Particularly:
Offensive Material: As mentioned previously, we use the US movie rating "PG-13" standard. Mild swearing may be tolerated, mild sexuality may be hinted, but explicit or excessive versions of either or both will result in moderation intervention.

2. Last year (this contest was run on Discord) we had some really cool entries. The winning entry created an Austrialian School of Magic and was very detailed.

3. You have two weeks so don't try to pen a novel (or stress out). If there is interest, we may create a writer's group but the goal is to have fun and make something creative :)

4. Four judges will review the entries and submit comments and rankings, the rankings will be averaged. All entries will receive points in the House competition.

5. Every 2-3 days we will post an image\quote\scenario or writing prompt intended to inspire. You are welcome to use the prompts or not at all :P

This writing contest is part of a larger Harry Potter and the Festival of Frienship themed event happening in several venues across NationStates. To check out other Harry Potter inspired enchantments and charms see the dispatch here!

[align=center][b]Harry Potter and the Festival of Friendship
A NationStates Community Event
Event Discord

NS Forum Post
Upvote the Dispatch
~
Last edited by Department of Mysteries on Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:35 am, edited 4 times in total.

Weissekath
Political Columnist

Founded: Nov 02, 2018
Ex-Nation

short story in the Harry Potter universe

Postby Weissekath » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:10 pm

I'll Be Home for Christmas

Bright pinpricks of light fitted back and forth past the white-dusted window pane as the fairies chirped between themselves. Outside, the roads and cars were shapeless sheets of silent white, glittering beneath the glowing sun in the middle of the sky. Inside the house however was a world splashed with sound and color.

The pitch black piano tucked into the far corner of the living room was tinkling away, its keys on the right side moving up and down in waves despite the lack of hands there to play them as a dash of fast and joyous notes twirled through the air. Next to the piano was the kitchen, where one wooden spoon was stirring its own green bowl of gravy, and a metal whisk was busy whipping itself a small bowl of gleaming cream. The dining room table was full of chatter, as the tiny red paintings of bears wearing Christmas hats adorning all the bowls and plates were busy talking and chortling amongst themselves… and in the center of the living room was an evergreen tree as tall as the ceiling, pinpricks of red and green lights adorning every branch aside handcrafted metal and clay ornaments. The tree was glittering with silver tinsel, and it emitted a soft golden glow from the base up.

Beneath the tree sat scattered pieces of torn and wrinkled wrapping, the reds and greens shining beneath the lights towering above them. Amongst the discarded pieces of wrapping paper there sat a boy. He was tall and pudgy, with bright blue eyes that sat beneath a bed of chestnut curls. Upon his round face was a crooked smile, his gaze turned towards his two parents that were standing above him.

“This was a great Christmas. You guys really outdid yourselves, honestly, you didn’t have to go this far!” He cheered, pushing himself off the ground. He wrapped two large arms around both his parents and squeezed. “Seriously, thanks. I just…” His smile began to falter as he gazed at the piano in the corner. He could see her dancing in the edge of his memory, her yule ball dress twirling around her as she smiled up at him. The soft melody of a piano drifted behind her dancing figure as his brows slowly sunk into a frown. “I just…”

“You miss Lizziebeth…. I’m sorry, sweetie.” His mother wrapped a slender arm around his shoulders as he flinched in place before releasing a heavy chortle.

“Mom! Stop! Jeez! I get that you’re a Legimens but can you, like, stop invading my head? You invade every other aspect of privacy I have already, isn’t that enough?” He smirked at her, then leaned forward to plant a soft kiss on her cheek. “But yes, I miss Lizziebeth..”

His father stepped forward, passing his son a hint of a smile. “Calvin, you should be proud of Lizziebeth! Deciding to stay at school and study for her N.E.W.Ts was a very smart decision! In fact, need I remind you that this was the same choice you made last Christmas? Hmm?” His father’s bushy brows shot up into the air as if pulled by a string.

Calvin rolled his eyes, a whisper of a sigh escaping his lips. “I know, it’s just… What can I say, I miss her! Her cute little smile and the way her eyes wrinkle in the corners, it’s adorable… One day, I promise you, I’ll get my oh-so romantic kiss under the mistletoe, even if it kills me!” He couldn’t help but giggle at the end of his dramatic speech.
His parents exchanged smiles as his mother detached herself from his shoulder. “We know you miss her, and Lizziebeth knows it too, so she made sure to send us a gift for you in advance!” She clapped her hands together and offered a smile so wide that her tan cheeks bunched together at the corners. “Isn’t that thoughtful?”

He nodded as his mother turned from the group and walked into the next room, his frown melting away as it was replaced by a placid smile. “Lizziebeth really is the cutest…” He mumbled to himself, rocking back and forth on his heels. “I wonder what-”

His words fell to the floor as they were interrupted by his mother shoving something in his face. He chuckled as he groped for the fuzzy object, its caramel colored fur warm against his skin. Its weight was light in his hands as it squirmed and shook, a head no bigger than the palm of his hand turning to him as it untucked itself from its coat of fur. Two pinpricks of ice blue light blinked at him above a smudge of a black snout, and two sharp yips came from its mouth as it opened its small jaw in a yawn. “A puppy!” Calvin shouted, pumping a fist in the air before beginning to stroke the creature’s small head. “Lizziebeth really is a gem! How did she even do this?” He pondered as he brushed a hand through its feather-soft fur.

It crawled across his hands, releasing a sharp yip every few seconds as it scampered around. “What is it girl? What? Oh!” His eyes widened before he began to chuckle at himself. “You wanna go on the floor? Here, girl!” He slowly lowered her, and within seconds the clicking of her nails and padding of her paws on the wooden tiles began to dart through the air. “That’s a good girl! That’s a- wait.” He had been observing its tiny figure when his gaze had suddenly snagged on a patch of ink black fur. “What’s this…?” He mused, reaching out and lifting her into his arms once more.

His eyes lowered into a squint as he gently shifted the puppy in his hands, his thumb running across the splotch of black fur amidst the brown. The fur was bent and woven into the shape of a five-petaled flower, standing out against the sea of caramel that surrounded the rest of her. “Mom…? This is.. This looks like the same tattoo that-”

Another yip cracked through the air, cutting him off as the puppy jumped and tumbled to the floor. It landed with a soft thud, then quickly scampered onto its paws before it suddenly began to change. It’s body began to grow and enlarge, its muscles wriggling along its thinning and shrinking limbs. Its fur began to shrink into itself, sheets of sand-colored skin growing and wrapping around its body to replace it. Its limbs bent and folded in on themselves, forming two lean legs and two long arms curving with muscle. A gleaming face full of pride and excitement pushed itself out of what had been the puppy’s face, its ice blue eyes darkening into a misty grey as it mouth formed two plump and rosy pink lips. The transformation completed itself as sheets of fire red hair sprouted from its head, growing until it reached her mid back. A thin line of black snaked its way around her skin, reforming the flower tattoo resting on her wrist as she looked up and smirked at Calvin. “You’re so cute when you’re surprised!” Her voice was a high- pitched squeal.

“Lizziebeth!” He jumped forward, wrapping her in a tight hug and spinning her around as his deep chortle and her melodic giggle intertwined through the air. “You’re here! You’re actually here! Haha! My girlfriend, my fabulous lovely girlfriend, the best friggin’ animagus I could ever meet!”

She buried her face in the hand knit sweater he was wearing, breathing in his familiar cinnamon and bonfire smoke scent. “I wanted to be with the love of my life for Christmas… but I didn’t want you to know I changed my mind, about studying. I know you love surprises, and considering how badly your surprise birthday went, I figured I’d make it up to you.” She looked up at him, the corners of her eyes crinkling as she smiled just like he knew they would.

“You’re too good to me, Lizziebeth. You really are. I can’t even- how’d you even- what the bloody hell did it even take for you to get here?” He chuckled in between speaking.

She reached out and booped his nose, her smile bending into a smirk. “I can tell you all that over Christmas dinner… but first…” She waved a finger in the air, mumbling something under her breath before her turning her attention back to him. “Look what we’re standing under…” She warbled.

He flicked his gaze towards the ceiling, where a thick bundle of oval leaves were surrounding small silver balls. He couldn’t stop the smile from spreading across his face as he looked down at her, a wave of pure joy drenching him at the sight of her glowing face. “Oh baby, it’s bloody perfect…”

“Merry Christmas, my angel.” She whispered, lifting herself onto her toes before pressing her lips against his…

And to this day, Calvin swears up and down that the gleaming light he felt shine in his heart was brighter than any Christmas lights he’d see after that day.

Raionitu
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 06, 2015
Father Knows Best State

Postby Raionitu » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:18 pm

TO TAME A DRAGON:

Dragons are among the most dangerous creatures in the magical world, however they can make powerful and loyal companions, if treated properly. Tamers beware: even a dragon raised from infancy must be treated with respect, as an equal, a poorly treated dragon can turn on its partner, many great wizards have died because they failed to respect the power they sought to control.

Required tools:
Dragons being dragons, it is highly recommended that the witch or wizard attempting to tame and/or raise one acquire clothes and protective garments that are fire retardant and resistant to blows from dragon claws and fangs. Even with well trained dragons, there can still be accidental injuries, or the occasional dragon hay fever.

Many dragons live in remote, dangerous areas, to be sure to study the area you are traveling to to recover the dragon and plan accordingly. This often includes climbing large or treacherous mountains, so climbing gear is recommended.

If capturing a live dragon rather than raising one from an egg, use a Fire Protection Potion, otherwise known as an Ice Potion. This potion is made from Bursting Mushrooms, Salamander Blood, and Wartcap Powder, and is essential for traveling into dragon territory.

One should also have plenty of meat to offer the dragon, especially on first contact.

Taming a wild dragon:
To get close to a dragon is no easy feat. As you search for or approach dragons, avoid using magic as much as possible. Dragons are sensitive to magic, so unnecessary use may put your life in danger. Approaching a dragon's lair directly may be seen as a threat or attack, prompting them to attack you without any provocation. Approach the dragon when it is away from its lair, being careful to not show appear threatening. Once you get within arms reach, pat their nose or crouch to show you mean no harm. If the dragon growls, one should leer at their eye until they stop growling. Once you have made contact, offer the dragon food to show that you are a friend.

You cannot tame a dragon unless you first befriend it. Attempting to tame a dragon through force will fail, as it can take half a dozen wizards to stun a single dragon, and attempts to tame a dragon without first befriending it will be taken as an action of hostility. After making contact, giving the dragon food, stroking its nose, and talking to it all while making eye contact can help calm and befriend a dragon. When the dragon allows you to mount without struggling, they have accepted you as a friend.

Once the dragon has accepted you as a friend, use pieces of meat to teach the dragon the game “fetch”. At first, this will involve throwing pieces of meat for the dragon to go eat, then the dragon returning to you. Once they have gotten used to this, throw a stick, other than your wand or staff, and gesture towards it with a piece of meat. When the dragon has gotten used to this to the point of retrieving the stick without needing to be given meat afterwards, move on to attempting to harness the dragon. If you have developed a strong enough bond with the dragon, they will allow you to fly them, using the harness to control where they fly. You must start simple and build up, as causing the dragon to crash can injure the dragon, you, and your bond.

Caring for the dragon:
If you are able to fly the dragon without their complaint, you have likely tamed the dragon successfully. Now you need to be able to care for and provide for it. Give the dragon a bath regularly, perhaps once a week. Be sure to give it food and water on a daily basis, based on the species prefered diet. Be sure to watch for signs of disease, such as the common Dragon Pox, noticeable from spots that are not normally on a dragon. More time with your dragon will result in a stronger bond. Always treat it with respect and dignity, these are proud creatures.

Things to remember:
-Dragon breeding is illegal, do not attempt to breed dragons or sell dragon eggs.
-The largest memory wipe event was the result of a dragon. Dragons are highly visible and a high exposure risk, keep your dragon away from muggle locations.
-Dragons are prone to start fires, do not let your dragon reside in or near wooden or other flammable structures.
-Dragon dung makes a powerful fertilizer, and can be used or sold.

Sources include, but are not limited to:
Dracones Mulcentum from The Hogwarts Library
The Harry Potter Wiki
Fantastic Beast and Where to Find Them
Koth wrote:you guys are cool, like lately ive been watching the overal state of the raider world and been like,"ew", but you guys are very not ew
Reppy wrote:Swearing is just fucking fine on this goddamn fucking forum.
Aguaria Major wrote:The Black Hawks is essentially a regional equivalent of Heath Ledger's Joker: they just want to watch the world burn
Frisbeeteria wrote:Please stop.Please.
Souls wrote:Hi, I'm Souls. Have you embraced our lord and savior , Piling yet?
Souls wrote:Note to self: Watch out for Rai in my bedroom
Altinsane wrote:Me, about every suspiciously helpful newb I meet: "It's probably Rai."
Lord Dominator wrote:Koth is a drunken alternate personality of yours

Rigels Light
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 16, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Children of a War

Postby Rigels Light » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:24 pm

It takes months for you to leave your bedroom. No amount of knocks on the door, or letters from friends and admirers can help assuage the pain. Friends... Family... Children you barely knew... Died because you weren't quick enough. Because you weren't strong enough. Because you didn't do enough. It eats you alive and there's nothing you can do to stop the shaking.

Until she opens your door, sits on the corner of your bed and just...talks. It's the first time since that night that you smile, that you remember that there is something to smile for.

It gets easier after that. Easier to breathe, easier to think, easier to remember that you survived and now you can live.

But living isn't easy, learning to live in a world where everyone thanks you for taking a life. Lives. Multiple, you remind yourself everyday. Multiple lives. In the heat of the moment, sure. But lives nonetheless. There are moments... Some days where people sneer at you. Blame you for their lost loved one. But they're right. Why do you live while others died? It's not fair. You agree, but you'll never say it out loud, for fear that a single word makes it to her ears and her wondrously calming smile fades even the slightest.

When you step back on the grounds for the first time after the war, your breath catches in your throat. You hear the wind as screams. The quiet echoes with the stillness of battle and your heartbeat is almost deafening. The Headmistress, when she touches your shoulder, expects the flinch that comes. It's with a sad smile that she greets you, not knowing that for just a moment, she was a green jet of death stealing your life away.

It takes a moment to remember that the war is over, and the whooshing in your ears subsides. It's a clear day, the sky shows no sign of the storm raging in your memories. You've spent years trying to forget the war, forget the night where you were sure your short life would meet a terrifying end. It's easier when you're around people, you tell yourself. Easier when you can see the smiles of your friends, your family. Easier with her hand in your hand and her laughter in your ears.

The War is over, and the rebuilding begins. You raise your wand with a purpose, and the shaking in your hand is nothing compared to the gratitude in your heart. Never again will children have to fight a war. You helped make sure of that.

And tonight. After a long day of making the castle a home again, you'll join your friends in the great hall and eat. Empty spaces for people that will never join you again. But you'll feel whole. She'll sit next to you, gripping your hand tightly when someone talks about the professor you don't expect to miss. The Headmistress will take a moment to respond to her title. But it's all going to be OK. You'll heal, you all will. And one day, hopefully not too far into the future, you won't flinch when you see a snake on the Slytherin Banner. Because they lost too. They were children too. Children of a War.
Rigel Asteorra
Hasal Pharaoh of Osiris
Matriarch of Asteorra Fam

"Look at the Stars. Look how they shine and junk"

Department of Mysteries
Secretary

Founded: Dec 15, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Department of Mysteries » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:46 pm

Harry Potter and the Festival of Friendship
A NationStates Community Event
Event Discord

NS Forum Post
Upvote the Dispatch
~
Sponsored by The North Pacific, The East Pacific, The West Pacific, Europeia,Greater Dienstad, and Escade's Event Services
Dates: Saturday December 22,2018 - Sunday December 30, 2018

Five judges were selected from across NationStates and rated the entries based on Creativity, Quality of Prose, and Theme (Immersion with Harry Potter world). They spent time to assess each entry and provide in-depth feedback.

Our honoured judges for this competition included Siwale, Delegate of the North Pacific; The Grim Reaper, founder of Greater Azuhkali and Issues Editor (and winner of last year's Golden Snitch competition); August, founder of The Augustin Alliance; Church of Satan, former delegate of The Rejected Realms, and The Rejected Times Senior Correspondent; and Jar Wattinree, a Lore Expert from the Lord of the Rings event and writer of fiction!

Each judge commented on stories based on Creativity, Quality of Prose, and Theme (Immersion into the Harry Potter world).

The winner of the competition is: Rigel's Light

And on the entry by Rigel's Light, judges stated:

Rigels Light: Focusing on the future immediately after the events of the books proper, this piece's strength is as an introspective character study. It provides, thus, a well-written description of its nameless central character, placing you in their shoes. It is an exploration of their - your - relationships with the world around them in the abstract, ethereal terms that they would themselves know best. It feels like an inner voice. The piece, in cleverly painting a picture of something drawn very clearly from the Harry Potter universe, nevertheless struggles to establish itself as a fundamentally Pottersque contribution. Memories of magic are just that; memories - the closest the piece comes to planting its flag in the universe is with the reminder of the Headmistress beginning her time in. Creativity winner is a tie between Rigel and Weissekath, quality is Rigels, built into the Harry Potter world is Weissekath. So the judge's choice is thus by a shade to Weissekath.

Third: (Rigel)
The best fiction writing has a strong grounding in reality. Though many works of fiction focus only on the conflict and resolution but not their aftereffects, it is unrealistic to expect a fairy-tale ending to a story arc centered around large-scale conflict. Often the hardest part of a battle is not in the heat of the moment, when instinct is in full control, but afterward, when you have time to think about it. This entry is not a story, but a snapshot, one which illustrates that idea poignantly. In addition to the dramatic tone, crafted by short sentences and judicious use of sentence fragments, this was accomplished by the singular focus on the main idea. Even the line "Easier with her hand in your hand..." does not specify who she is, which could have distracted from the message. As an aside, I wondered as I was reading if the author drew inspiration from personal experience or from speaking to people with combat PTSD, as the character's thoughts do seem consistent with those of a real soldier returned from war.
I have very little to criticize here. I did try.

Children of a War

1): This piece is a somber one, reflecting on the harshness of war. I have a fondness for stories like these.

2): Very readable, only minor mistakes that are easily ignorable and don't detract from reading

3): While the lack of Harry Potter is visibly low, the hints to the Second Wizarding War is more than enough to rank this high, especially given the subject matter. No complaints here.

On the second entry by Raionitu, the judges said:

Writing instructions is difficult, even if the best-written instructions make it look easy. It is tempting to let prose slip in, distracting from the practical purpose of the instructions, or conversely, to include insufficient detail, making them harder to follow. This piece falls nicely in the middle, possibly showing experience by the author in teaching or mentoring. Even the format is well-organized, with clearly defined sections and matter-of-fact opening sentences. In short, everything in this instructional piece is professional and easy to understand, from the title down to the citations.

If I could improve one aspect of this piece, I would suggest more time in the proofreading process. Certain mechanical issues, such as comma splices, stuck out or created minor ambiguity. This was more obvious in the beginning, and was much less frequent at the end.

Raionitu: The odd-one out being a non-prose piece, format pieces are always difficult sells in a contest like this. Making length and putting weight into them can be hard, but a competent job has been done turning a simple concept into a full work. Particular attention has been given to extrapolating from known facts about dragons to what appear to be original takes on the world. The piece could have gone further by detailing, for instance, different potential approaches by different wizarding nations or schools of thought - this would have moved it from a step-by-step 'manual' to something with a prosaic element, which would have allowed for more of the writer's natural character to shine through. As a side-comment, whilst the Harry Potter wiki still identifies the largest memory wipe event as indeed being a dragon attack, this may have been retconned implicitly with the Fantastic Beasts movie.

1): This gets high praise for being an instruction manual on dragons.

2): Errors are few, but there is excessive usage of commas where semi-colons or periods should go.

3): Insofar as Harry Potter relation goes, this ranks very high.

Thank you so much to our writers for their wonderful work and the judges for giving such intensive feedback!
Last edited by Department of Mysteries on Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to Arts & Fiction