NATION

PASSWORD

Any programmers/coders here?

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:43 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:I tried to learn to code once and caused my whole computer to fail. Lesson is don't be self-taught with coding

That is very bad advice and just flat out wrong. Anyone who follows your advice is going to screw him self over as a programmer. A proper programmer worth his salt spends his free time exploring and learning new programming stuff on his own as much as possible in order to be more competitive in the job market. Sticking to what you've learned in school is a surefire way to become obsolete. And if you aren't the type that does this for fun you aren't cut out to be a programmer.

And seriously, who hasn't crashed his PC once or twice or a million times?
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:32 pm

I only know bits JavaScript and the weird variant of C used in Adventure Game Studio. Wish I had the free time to learn how to code proper.

Purpelia wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:I tried to learn to code once and caused my whole computer to fail. Lesson is don't be self-taught with coding

That is very bad advice and just flat out wrong. Anyone who follows your advice is going to screw him self over as a programmer. A proper programmer worth his salt spends his free time exploring and learning new programming stuff on his own as much as possible in order to be more competitive in the job market. Sticking to what you've learned in school is a surefire way to become obsolete. And if you aren't the type that does this for fun you aren't cut out to be a programmer.

A crashing computer is just a sign that your getting there.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:27 pm

Heloin wrote:I only know bits JavaScript and the weird variant of C used in Adventure Game Studio. Wish I had the free time to learn how to code proper.

Purpelia wrote:That is very bad advice and just flat out wrong. Anyone who follows your advice is going to screw him self over as a programmer. A proper programmer worth his salt spends his free time exploring and learning new programming stuff on his own as much as possible in order to be more competitive in the job market. Sticking to what you've learned in school is a surefire way to become obsolete. And if you aren't the type that does this for fun you aren't cut out to be a programmer.

I'm pretty sure it's not the case if it happens in the first 20 minutes
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:02 am

Australian rePublic wrote:
Heloin wrote:I only know bits JavaScript and the weird variant of C used in Adventure Game Studio. Wish I had the free time to learn how to code proper.

20 minutes, that's real efficient! :p

But seriously unless you just don't enjoy coding (which is fair enough) causing a computer to crash is all part of the learning process. Cause it to crash a few more times till you find the problem, then find whole new ways that your code crashes the computer.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:40 am

Australian rePublic wrote:

Some days, I can spend a whole afternoon crashing my computer, other days, I manage in five minutes :)

Anyway, professional programmer here.
The Blaatschapen should resign

Mexar
Envoy

Founded: Dec 07, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Mexar » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:01 am

Old COBOL dinosaur. Played around with C and Pascal. Didn't get proficient, but I did manage to crash my PC a few times. :) Took a Java class, and my workplace put me on a non-Java project. :( When that work dried up, I got stuck on some non-programming work long enough to get rusty. Now that my skills have atrophied, NOW they're talking about putting me on a Java project. :p

Previous

Return to Arts & Fiction